Any dual sport guys in here?

defeatist45
8/17/2015 6:20am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 8:23pm
Really been contemplating getting one. How do you like it? Moto is great, but I don't ride like I used to. This just seems like a fun option. Dad just got a KLR 650 and really seems to like it. Would be pretty cool to just say screw it and hit the beach or mountains for a couple of days.
|
XXVoid MainXX
8/17/2015 6:23am
I have a lot of buddies with the KTM 690. Many have switched between several different options before landing on that bike and they all say it's the perfect bike for that.
71Fish
8/17/2015 6:27am
Really been contemplating getting one. How do you like it? Moto is great, but I don't ride like I used to. This just seems like a...
Really been contemplating getting one. How do you like it? Moto is great, but I don't ride like I used to. This just seems like a fun option. Dad just got a KLR 650 and really seems to like it. Would be pretty cool to just say screw it and hit the beach or mountains for a couple of days.
How does he like the power? I've only ridden a KLR once but was not impressed with the torque. I guess I just expected more.

I've been looking at a dual sport myself, either a KLR or XR, but they are not high on my list of needs at the moment.
defeatist45
8/17/2015 6:31am
I have a lot of buddies with the KTM 690. Many have switched between several different options before landing on that bike and they all say...
I have a lot of buddies with the KTM 690. Many have switched between several different options before landing on that bike and they all say it's the perfect bike for that.
But the price! lol that would be the ideal bike, but I would probably start with the KLR
XXVoid MainXX
8/17/2015 6:33am
I'm with you there. The KLR, especially a used one can be had very cheaply.

The Shop

TailSoHard
8/17/2015 6:59am
I've actually been thinking about getting an old beat-up KLR or XR650 and making a street tracker or scrambler out of it to smash some dirt roads with. I don't plan on doing any real long distance with it, and if I want to do some aggressive riding, I'll use my street-legal KTM. I'd do a little more aggressive knobbies, but it would be something like this:

Fantasy
4342nd
8/17/2015 7:10am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2015 7:29am
I wasn't a fan of the KLR's offroad abilities, so I picked up a 99' XR650L in February. It's mainly a daily driver (7 miles to work) but after few upgrades, it has become a cheap but fun "adventure bike" for what Iowa has to offer. 3k miles later, it gets way more seat time than my RM-Z. But at nearly 350lbs, it's a bit of a pig. Someday i'd like to get the KTM 500exc

Riding local level B's Saturday morning

tvo314
8/17/2015 7:23am
I've got an 05 KLR and absolutely love it. You're right, it's slow as shit, but for the price and reliability it's tough to beat. My buddy and I have the exact same bikes and rode up to Alaska and back and had no problems whatsoever. On the way back I spent some time on the Pacific Coast Highway and even though, this bike is about as sporty as a dump truck, I had a blast on the curvy roads. It also, if you go slow enough, handles rough and technical single track surprisingly well. But again, you aren't doing anything fast.

Bottom line for fun, it's hard to beat packing a tent and heading into the mountains for a few days and the KLR gets the job done really well.

Couldn't find any traction with my balding tire, so I had to get my friend to hop on and lean back!

defeatist45
8/17/2015 7:25am
71Fish wrote:
How does he like the power? I've only ridden a KLR once but was not impressed with the torque. I guess I just expected more. I've...
How does he like the power? I've only ridden a KLR once but was not impressed with the torque. I guess I just expected more.

I've been looking at a dual sport myself, either a KLR or XR, but they are not high on my list of needs at the moment.
The KLR is an 09. It's not crazy powerful, but it seems to pull pretty good. I would be going with the KLR simply because it seems more comfortable for longer rides.
defeatist45
8/17/2015 7:28am
tvo314 wrote:
I've got an 05 KLR and absolutely love it. You're right, it's slow as shit, but for the price and reliability it's tough to beat. My...
I've got an 05 KLR and absolutely love it. You're right, it's slow as shit, but for the price and reliability it's tough to beat. My buddy and I have the exact same bikes and rode up to Alaska and back and had no problems whatsoever. On the way back I spent some time on the Pacific Coast Highway and even though, this bike is about as sporty as a dump truck, I had a blast on the curvy roads. It also, if you go slow enough, handles rough and technical single track surprisingly well. But again, you aren't doing anything fast.

Bottom line for fun, it's hard to beat packing a tent and heading into the mountains for a few days and the KLR gets the job done really well.

Couldn't find any traction with my balding tire, so I had to get my friend to hop on and lean back!

Man. That looks awesome. Dad is getting older. And we haven't had any real adventures in years. Think that this needs to happen. He has been talking about it for years.
tvo314
8/17/2015 7:34am
It's a trip of a lifetime. I've got to get my dad out there on a similar trip too. Can't think of a better way to spend time with him.
71Fish
8/17/2015 7:49am
I have an older Harley I hang onto strictly for sentimental value that I would probably trade for a decent dual sport.
It sure looks fun.
jay_547
8/17/2015 1:52pm
After quitting racing mx, I started riding a lot of street. After a few years of that, I got a dual-sport too. It is way more fun than strictly street. I ride it nearly every weekend and sometimes to work. I do mostly gravel roads and country roads, just riding around and exploring.

peelout
8/17/2015 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2015 2:08pm
i've been wanting to get into it, but instead of a full-on dual sport i think i'll build a dual-purpose KTM 525.

i built my 300cc into a pretty decent Dual Sport, 5gal tank, saddle bags, DOT tires, even have the street legal kit on her right now, but i want to return it to a single purpose off-road and moto bike. but that won't happen until i have a 525.
Utrider
Fantasy
1501st
9/1/2015 7:38pm
I just picked up a Moto Guzzi Stelvio, to scratch that itch. I have a plated KTM 450 XC, but wanted to get to the gravel and dirt roads more comfortably.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
9/1/2015 9:35pm
It's really a lot of fun, no downside other than keeping your eyes out for cars when you're on blacktop. And really you're options are pretty unlimited short or as long as your bum can stand it. We're pretty lucky to have a lot of national forest road and still some trails, and with a gps you could map out way points for an afternoon or week long ride pretty easily if you're into planning that stuff out (which is fun in its own right). I've done a couple of 500 three day rides in Nevada, and they were some of the best experiences I've had on a bike.

It's really just more time on a bike, which is more fun. Do it on one of the really capable dual sports bikes (Had a KTM 525, the bikes are even better ~ also $$$ ~ now) with good fiends and it's a blast.
Shiftfaced
9/2/2015 6:16am
It has become my favorite kind of riding lately. I love exploring; finding old ghost towns; camping out in the khack.

I have had a KTM 640 for the last couple of years, and it really works well for that kind of riding.

Right now, I am putting together a 700+ mile loop that about 5 buddies and I are getting ready to do in two weeks. We will camp off the bikes for about 3 nights, and will see some of the best that Idaho has to offer.

This is an old gold dredge located at Yankee Fork, at the entrance to the Frank Church Wilderness. Good stuff.

My problem is that I got a wild hair up my ass, and just went out and bought a KTM 690. A MUCH BETTER dirt bike than the 640, but not near the adventure bike. And they are too similar. I toyed with the idea of keeping them both, but that would be silly.

newmann
9/2/2015 7:04am
Old friend of mine here locally just picked this up used. He has been a long time motorcyclist and always jumped for the oddball bikes. Moto Guzzi's, Ducati bevel heads, Triumphs, BMW's of all flavors, V-Stroms and dozens more. He couldn't say enough good things about the KTM.

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
9/2/2015 8:55am
I have a 2005 KLR and while I love it, I have to be honest here.
I am probably going to be moving away from the KLR and getting into something a little more dirt-worthy...

So, a lot of it depends on what and how you are going to ride. I would spend some time with yourself, as hard as that may be, and really think about how you want to ride the bike.
Longer rides on the street and basic offroad, KLR good. Shorter rides in tough terrain above the treeline, KLR bad...

Now that I live in Colorado, I find myself riding about 95% offroad way up in the mountains, so for me a lighter bike with a license plate would probably be best. In Texas, the KLR was perfect for me, but now that I have settled in here, the KLR is too heavy and not quite able to go everywhere I want to go.

The KLR is a beast to pick up if you drop it. I'm dropping my bike quite often these days while working my way through up and over 4x4 logging and mining roads, so again, I need a lighter bike, and also one that can take a little fall with out denting the gas tank, etc. There is just no way around the weight of the bike.

I personally would look for a used KTM dual sport dirt bike, largest size possible, 500+ minimum. Or an XR650L.

Check out my Youtube page. I have tons of Colorado riding videos so you can see exactly how the KLR handles the rough stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/disbanded1/videos

mxrose3
Fantasy
853rd
9/2/2015 11:43am
I've got a 90' DR350S.. kick start only model.
While its light and dirt worthy, I wish it was a little more powerful and had electric start.
coolhand
9/2/2015 12:43pm
I have a Trans - ALP.

Can not kill it, unreal fun.
defeatist45
9/2/2015 2:54pm
Wel,l I got an 09 KLR for a killer deal. I have only ridden it off-road once, but I could tell right away how truly heavy this bike is. I will give it a chance, but a DR or XR might be the way to go( can't afford a KTM lol) Bike does awesome on the street though.
wreckitrandy
9/4/2015 8:09pm
Wel,l I got an 09 KLR for a killer deal. I have only ridden it off-road once, but I could tell right away how truly heavy...
Wel,l I got an 09 KLR for a killer deal. I have only ridden it off-road once, but I could tell right away how truly heavy this bike is. I will give it a chance, but a DR or XR might be the way to go( can't afford a KTM lol) Bike does awesome on the street though.
Cool. If you get up here towards the mountains let me know. We'll hit some dirt roads.
IPA
9/4/2015 9:18pm
Selling my 2008 450 EXC-R. Approximately 1200 miles. Runs good. Recluse clutch. Over sized tank. Extra set of street tires mounted on rims with oversized front disk. Takes 10 minutes to switch from dirt to street. Bike is in decent condition. Needs a little TLC. $4500 OBO. Pictures won't upload for me.
IPA
9/4/2015 9:42pm
IPA wrote:
Selling my 2008 450 EXC-R. Approximately 1200 miles. Runs good. Recluse clutch. Over sized tank. Extra set of street tires mounted on rims with oversized front...
Selling my 2008 450 EXC-R. Approximately 1200 miles. Runs good. Recluse clutch. Over sized tank. Extra set of street tires mounted on rims with oversized front disk. Takes 10 minutes to switch from dirt to street. Bike is in decent condition. Needs a little TLC. $4500 OBO. Pictures won't upload for me.
Experience is reading the fine print. Education is what you get when you don't.
oshow
9/6/2015 4:33pm
308 wrote:
I wasn't a fan of the KLR's offroad abilities, so I picked up a 99' XR650L in February. It's mainly a daily driver (7 miles to...
I wasn't a fan of the KLR's offroad abilities, so I picked up a 99' XR650L in February. It's mainly a daily driver (7 miles to work) but after few upgrades, it has become a cheap but fun "adventure bike" for what Iowa has to offer. 3k miles later, it gets way more seat time than my RM-Z. But at nearly 350lbs, it's a bit of a pig. Someday i'd like to get the KTM 500exc

Riding local level B's Saturday morning

I've got a 2000 XR L what have you done if anything to yours to enhance the power?
G-man
9/7/2015 1:30am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 9:48am
Did somebody say dual sport? Woohoo

Yes I must admit I am hooked.

Rode and raced motocross for about 40 yrs but there's something about pulling out of your garage and hitting the trail.

The places the bike can take you are incredible!

You cannot go wrong getting a big bore KTM.

There is a Brothell that awaits us after our rides to soothe our aching bodies..... Smile

Fantasy
4342nd
9/7/2015 9:50am
oshow wrote:
I've got a 2000 XR L what have you done if anything to yours to enhance the power?
Performance:
XRs Only Smog / Air Pump Block Off Kit
K&N filter
FMF Powercore4 slip on
Dave's Carb Mods (done by origional owner)
I also added a 4 gallon Clarke tank but I wish I had went larger

Farkle:
1" bar risers with ProTapers
XRs Only Oil Temperature Dip Stick
XRs Only Magnetic Oil Drain Plug (Engine and frame)
XRs Only Skid Plate
Western Power Sports Universal Tail Light
9/7/2015 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2015 5:10pm
G-man wrote:
Did somebody say dual sport? :woohoo: Yes I must admit I am hooked. Rode and raced motocross for about 40 yrs but there's something about pulling...
Did somebody say dual sport? Woohoo

Yes I must admit I am hooked.

Rode and raced motocross for about 40 yrs but there's something about pulling out of your garage and hitting the trail.

The places the bike can take you are incredible!

You cannot go wrong getting a big bore KTM.

There is a Brothell that awaits us after our rides to soothe our aching bodies..... Smile

I see your big bore KTM, and i raise it with my big bore KTM. Wink
https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AADK1EKTGPuRAeehPkaearVkzKFM87gzQnezMb…

Smaller jugs, but it has 2 of them!!!
9/7/2015 5:14pm
Shiftfaced wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/09/02/103777/s1200_690.jpg[/img]

Needs a Rally Raid or Basel kit Smile

Post a reply to: Any dual sport guys in here?

The Latest