Any Subaru owners?

rpoint116
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2014 1:24pm
My wife has had two Honda Accords (95 & 06), love them!! She possibly wants to shake it up a bit.

When we lived briefly in Colorado Subaru's were popular.

I was looking at the 14-15 XV Crosstrek.. Anyone got the scoop on these? Durability, maintenance, overall, resale?

It looks like it falls between the size of a Honda Civic & Accord. I also looked at the Suubaru Forrester & Outback. Those were not that attractive IMO.
|
Prairieboy43
12/26/2014 4:00pm
Wife drives forester, manual. Studded winter tires. Drove it to Drilling Rigs on Ice Rds in the Arctic. Works good. I use Nokian Hakkatella 5 tires. These tires work good on the ice. Previous cars Honda Accord, Nissan Maxima. All these Jap cars are good. Where we live in Edmonton. Snow on ground 5-6 months/yr.
I like the Accord the best. Throw studded snow tires FWD. That is perfect. Suby seems a little better than Nissan. All vehicles go 200,000 miles before replacement. Laughing
BigAl
12/26/2014 10:02pm
I had a forester, fantastic vehicle
three9zero
12/27/2014 12:12am
I have owned 3...a blue WRX wagon, black STi sedan and a Forester 2.5 xt 5-speed. I would buy another if I did not have 2 kids, a dog, and need a big vehicle. The Turbo all wheel drive is just too much fun....You must put a cold air intake, sweet rumbling exhaust and tune it, this will unleash the beast and put a big old smile on your face every time you drive it, plus it will destroy Mustangs and lower end vets on dry roads, it the wet and snow you will own anybody.....I did this kit, plus some other upgrades to 2 of mine and loved every second of it...
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-11-WRX-Wagon-Stage-2-Power-Package-wit…
hvaughn88
12/27/2014 5:44am
We are looking at getting a forester for my wife, as well. I haven't driven one yet, but my neighbor has 2 Subarus and has nothing but great things to say about them. Looks like they get great gas mileage and are relatively cheap, which is a bonus. I'd love to get something bigger with a 3rd row, but I just can't bring myself to spend $50-$60K on a big SUV since we have a toddler that I'm sure will spill shit in the seats and all that crap.

The Shop

tomm55x
12/27/2014 6:23am
Subaru is a good brand, like all cars they do have some issues, idk about the brand new ones but I know about the older ones. If it's from 1999 to about a 2008 - the rotary 4 cylinder 2.5l have head gasket issues, more of an oil leak problem rather than anti-freeze, the 6 cylinders not so much. If you have a 4 cylinder put a timing belt on it every 70k to 90k miles. Other than that the motors are long lasting. The only other real issues iv seen (mainly with the forresters) with those year models (in the cold weather rust belt anyway) is they like to rot out behind the rear strut tower and eventually the strut will actually come through the floor with the strut tower still attached once the metal is weak enough, it is very unnoticeable unless you are looking for the cracks behind the strut tower itself. Other than that they are pretty reliable.
12/27/2014 6:57am
My wife has a 2013 Crosstrek and we love it. 30+ mpg at altitude with mountain driving and the all wheel drive is wonderful in the snow. The paddle shifters are pretty fun too.

This is our 3rd Subaru and we have been well served, but it is too early to say anything about longevity on this one yet. No red flags from our point of view.
71Fish
12/27/2014 7:05am
I have a 2008 Impreza. Very good winter and summer car. Very reliable. I will buy another Subaru when it is time. Probably. I say probably because I always drove trucks before, this is my first car. I have 90,000 miles and it is still going strong.

I have the larger 2.5 ltr so I average 27-28 most times. Strictly highway I can get 30. The newer engines are 2.0 with about the same power and get better MPG.

71Fish
12/27/2014 7:06am
tomm55x wrote:
Subaru is a good brand, like all cars they do have some issues, idk about the brand new ones but I know about the older ones...
Subaru is a good brand, like all cars they do have some issues, idk about the brand new ones but I know about the older ones. If it's from 1999 to about a 2008 - the rotary 4 cylinder 2.5l have head gasket issues, more of an oil leak problem rather than anti-freeze, the 6 cylinders not so much. If you have a 4 cylinder put a timing belt on it every 70k to 90k miles. Other than that the motors are long lasting. The only other real issues iv seen (mainly with the forresters) with those year models (in the cold weather rust belt anyway) is they like to rot out behind the rear strut tower and eventually the strut will actually come through the floor with the strut tower still attached once the metal is weak enough, it is very unnoticeable unless you are looking for the cracks behind the strut tower itself. Other than that they are pretty reliable.
I'm sure you meant boxer engine. The only (modern) car I know of with a rotary engine was a Mazda RX7.
tomm55x
12/27/2014 7:38am
71Fish wrote:
I'm sure you meant boxer engine. The only (modern) car I know of with a rotary engine was a Mazda RX7.
Yes , I believe you are correct on that, I think of that motor that way because the head's are horizontal
markit
12/27/2014 8:04am
I would like to have one of the WRC car's to play with.
Idaho747
12/27/2014 3:57pm
My wife worked at a subura dealership for a while and we got the opportunity to drive a crosstrek for a little over a week. We both loved it. It's really a great vehicle.
JM485
12/27/2014 7:57pm
My mom has been driving her Outback for a little over a year now and the car has been great. The only issues we have had are with the radio, but I figure that is probably a rare issue. Her's is an automatic, but when I drive it I love screwing around with the paddle shifters, not to mention the all wheel drive makes it handle great, I actually enjoy driving it quite a bit. If you do decide to go that route I don't think you will be disappointed, we have been happy with ours so far and the gas mileage is great, even with the all wheel drive.
wildbill
12/30/2014 2:00am
The turbo's are great fun and with exhaust and a stage 2 kit, pull high 12's. I just heard the wrx are the most ticketed vehicle though,

NV825
Fantasy
2730th
12/30/2014 8:50am
I had to sell my trusty truck to get a good car for commuting long distances for work, so I picked up a 2012 Impreza brand new. 2 years later it's still running great, but it does have an issue of burning through the engine oil quickly. I'm not sure if they have fixed that issue on newest year models of Impreza. Besides that it's a great car for everyday driving.

My wife has a 2009 Forrester and I honestly think it's the perfect small size SUV. Very roomy inside and has a strong motor too but sacrifices some MPG compared to mine. We've taken numerous small road trips and the thing is perfect.
PC
12/30/2014 1:05pm
My wife got a new Forester XT earlier this year and it's a pretty nice vehicle. Great motor, but I am not loving the CVT trans and really wish they offered it with a manual trans..... anyway, we finally took it to the mountain a few weeks ago and the AWD system really works. Even with the stock tires the car handled the icy roads great.

I feel like a granola eating lesbian hipster, but I cant fault the vehicle for that.

newmann
12/30/2014 1:24pm
Subaru's are good. Subaru's dealer network not so good. As long as you are in a larger area you should be just fine. 100 plus miles away from a major city may leave you wishing you had bought a Honda or Toyota. Had a couple Subaru dealers here in Southeast Texas go belly up. One owed me a couple grand and Subaru US couldn't have cared less. Not their concern. Being that I repaired them for the dealer, trying to repo them from the customer would not have fared well...lol. Would have cost more than it was worth to pursue, nothing to gain.

Post a reply to: Any Subaru owners?

The Latest