Any HVAC guys here?

Edited Date/Time 5/10/2017 9:00am
Need an opinion on something.

I live in an apartment and have noticed over the last 3 months my electric bill has been more than double. Yes some of that due to summer in TX but still a lot higher than last year at the same time. I snapped last night when I was sweating on my couch while I could hear the AC run but the air comming out of the vents was weaker than an elf fart.

I did some looking around thought maybe the filter was just completely blocked. It looked dirty but not enough to block air flow. Dug a little deeper and found the coil. It was pretty gross looking. Black sludge looking stuff.

I put in a work order at 6am. Followed up with a visit to the office. They assured me it would be taken care of today.
4pm I call and say no one has come by. I was told that there are other work orders in front of me and they will get to it when they do.

Around 5 pm they come buy take a look and say ah thats not bad at all. Spend about 10 seconds spraying some cleaner on it and tell me turn it on in 20 min and it will be good.

We'll I did and it's upgraded from an elf fart to a dwarf fart and I'm still fkn hot. At what point does a coil need to be replaced?

Ok vent over but if there are any HVAC guys on here I can post pics for your opinion.

|
SEE ARE125
10/6/2016 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2016 5:58pm
Sounds like it's low on refrigerant. I had the same problem. Would take longer and longer to cool the house, until finally it froze up and didn't blow much at all. It was losing refrigerant due to a leak in the coil. Look at the a/c unit, and see if the piping coming out of it is frozen. If it is, turn the A/C off but leave the fan on. This should help it thaw out and get you some airflow moving around the house. Although it won't be cold, it's better than stagnant heat. Then call them back and tell them to check the refrigerant level. I wouldn't pay for another "service call" because he didn't fix it the problem first time.
10/6/2016 6:02pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Sounds like it's low on refrigerant. I had the same problem. Would take longer and longer to cool the house, until finally it froze up and...
Sounds like it's low on refrigerant. I had the same problem. Would take longer and longer to cool the house, until finally it froze up and didn't blow much at all. It was losing refrigerant due to a leak in the coil. Look at the a/c unit, and see if the piping coming out of it is frozen. If it is, turn the A/C off but leave the fan on. This should help it thaw out and get you some airflow moving around the house. Although it won't be cold, it's better than stagnant heat. Then call them back and tell them to check the refrigerant level. I wouldn't pay for another "service call" because he didn't fix it the problem first time.
It seems to get plenty cool just that the coil is so clogged up air can't flow through it. The 10 seconds of efort they put in it helped slightly.

For comparison I left the access cover of while it was running and it was hurricane force winds coming out of the vents. Only problem is when I do that it doesn't draw air through the coil. So I get lots of hot air movement no cooling.

The Shop

SEE ARE125
10/6/2016 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2016 6:50pm
So the small amount of air that is coming out is cold? It's just not moving much air? If that's the case I don't know. I wish I could help more, but I'm not an HVAC guy, your story just sounded similar to mine. Mine was barely blowing, and the air coming out was cool, but not as cold as it was when it was working properly.

If it blows with the access cover off, it definitely sounds like an air restriction issue of some sort. Which filter did you check? The air return? I have air returns throughout the house, each with a filter that gets changed monthly, but there's also a filter on the unit itself that they recommend I change once per year. When I bought the house it hadn't been changed in like 8 years. lol Maybe check for one of those? Really wish I could help more.
newmann
10/6/2016 8:49pm
That unit looks quite old and quite corroded and rusted. The only proper way to thoroughly clean a coil that nasty is to remove it from the unit and get it out where you have access to all sides of it. Chances are that coil would not live through a good cleaning. Keep complaining and make a mention of all the black mold that is in it...lol.

Where is the outside condensing unit located? Can you identify which one is yours? Check and see if that coil is clean so air can flow through it as well.

The first thing I do when I buy a property for rental purposes is to have my a/c contractor go out and give the system a proper inspection and service. If it needs to come out, so be it. If it leaks after cleaning, replace it. I hate getting calls on a/c not working because they never call during the week, always Friday after 5:00. Then they tell me it hasn't been cooling very well for a few days....Angry
Cygnus
10/7/2016 12:12am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 12:14am
What Newman. Said and defon metion the black mold I would demand a repair and done right next time.
nicko-31
10/7/2016 2:38am
Lack of Air flow is 90 persent of heating and cooling issues. Just as Joe pointed out to properly clean that coil the refigerent needs to be pumped down into the condenser , then the coil will have to be removed from the blower unit inside and properly cleaned or replaced all together. I only wrote that all out to try and explain that it's not a little job and requires a qualified service tech to look at and assess your your whole system. That's just part of the whole process involved in your air flow issues. Pm me if you have any questions about it. Smile
10/7/2016 3:25am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 3:26am
Thanks everybody. Guess I'll keep bugging them.

Sure does help my case that I am very allergic to mold and I have literally been sick since February.
hillbilly
10/7/2016 3:32am
I use a IR heat gun to read temperatures on coils and output. They are pretty cheap nowadays.

90 outside the coil tubes should be 45 to 50 degress.

That coil is insanely grungy. A fine pet brush,its like small wires stuck in a foamy pad, is the best I've found to clean debris out the fins.
hillbilly
10/7/2016 3:34am
You also should check the outside unit ,make sure nothing is blocking it,like bushes or a dead drunk guy.
motogrady
10/7/2016 5:12am

Ha, that's an old one.
They need to replace. Cheap fucks.

The half moons, and the manifold pipe, if they're sweating, you have refrigerant.
Spraying that coil, the stuff mist use nowadays is bio friendly, and is useless.
That coil should be shiney bright.
Thing is, the good coil cleaner is basically just diluted battery acid, and smells like it, and freaks some people out.
So many don't use it anymore.

I work on this stuff all day.
That coil needs cleaning, a good cleaner, then blown out with high pressure gas, nitrogen, compressed air, whatever.
Not a shop vac in reverse, 100 psi or better.

Then the blower wheel, or squirrel cage needs checking, I'll bet its full of dust.
The vanes get even half full of crap and the performance if that blower drops off big time.
Pull the blower, take it outside and compressed air. Shit will be flying everywhere.

Then, find the outside unit. Make sure that fan is running, garden hose out the outdoor coil.
You can use a cleaner, but a garden hose with good pressure usually works good.

Then, check refrigerant charge.

You should have a 15 to 20 degree drop thru that indoor unit.
Get a cheap thermometer at the Dollar store, put it where the air vent blows out for a few minutes.
Then put it at the vent where it sucks in, or by that cruddy coil in the pic, the difference should be 15-20 degrees.

Or, play the game, like the guy previous said, take that pic and moan and groan how you are feeling bad, and have been. Go to the office. You have been getting black mold exposure. And either that thing is cleaned, shiney bright, cabinet, blower, drain pan, everything in the airstream, or you're going to the local Health Department.

You pay your rent. You deserve clean air in your apt.
That thing has the equivalent of a million miles on a car.
The new stuff uses less electricity, uses environmentally friendly refrigerant, and just plain works better.

Don't let them off the hook.
It will be cheaper to replace that thing then to clean it up properly.
It's not like you're being a dick, it's them that are milking it for all it's worth, at your expense.
10/7/2016 7:40am
motogrady wrote:
Ha, that's an old one. They need to replace. Cheap fucks. The half moons, and the manifold pipe, if they're sweating, you have refrigerant. Spraying that...

Ha, that's an old one.
They need to replace. Cheap fucks.

The half moons, and the manifold pipe, if they're sweating, you have refrigerant.
Spraying that coil, the stuff mist use nowadays is bio friendly, and is useless.
That coil should be shiney bright.
Thing is, the good coil cleaner is basically just diluted battery acid, and smells like it, and freaks some people out.
So many don't use it anymore.

I work on this stuff all day.
That coil needs cleaning, a good cleaner, then blown out with high pressure gas, nitrogen, compressed air, whatever.
Not a shop vac in reverse, 100 psi or better.

Then the blower wheel, or squirrel cage needs checking, I'll bet its full of dust.
The vanes get even half full of crap and the performance if that blower drops off big time.
Pull the blower, take it outside and compressed air. Shit will be flying everywhere.

Then, find the outside unit. Make sure that fan is running, garden hose out the outdoor coil.
You can use a cleaner, but a garden hose with good pressure usually works good.

Then, check refrigerant charge.

You should have a 15 to 20 degree drop thru that indoor unit.
Get a cheap thermometer at the Dollar store, put it where the air vent blows out for a few minutes.
Then put it at the vent where it sucks in, or by that cruddy coil in the pic, the difference should be 15-20 degrees.

Or, play the game, like the guy previous said, take that pic and moan and groan how you are feeling bad, and have been. Go to the office. You have been getting black mold exposure. And either that thing is cleaned, shiney bright, cabinet, blower, drain pan, everything in the airstream, or you're going to the local Health Department.

You pay your rent. You deserve clean air in your apt.
That thing has the equivalent of a million miles on a car.
The new stuff uses less electricity, uses environmentally friendly refrigerant, and just plain works better.

Don't let them off the hook.
It will be cheaper to replace that thing then to clean it up properly.
It's not like you're being a dick, it's them that are milking it for all it's worth, at your expense.
I have noticed they haven't closed the work order yet. Likely they will come buy today and claim victory while I'm not there.

The outside unit is free of any debris but got the same half ass effort that the inside did.

I will keep pestering them until it's replaced.
motogrady
10/7/2016 8:44am

Thing is, to replace that coil, if it's still available, is a big job.
You need to reclaim the refrigerant, get that thing out, get a new one, braze it in with silver solder,
put the system under a vacuum, then recharge it.

We get maybe 1800 for something like that.
Total new system, in and outside units, maybe 3,500 tops.
All they need is a blower motor to go out, or a compressor and you have almost new money, in a 20 years pos.

That coil, think of it like the radiator on your bike.
You don't just brush your radiator off after a few races, you hose those things out, getting the dirt that's lodged half way
thru, so they breath.

Same with that coil. It's maybe 1.5 to 2 inches thick.
You really need to blast the crap thru it, then clean it.
You don't, the air going thru it doesn't dump the heat thru the fins, into the freon, to be carried to the outdoor unit where it is dumped. The hot air just passes thru what is really an insulated fin in a coil.

If you can get them to really clean that coil, and the blower, because air flow is your friend, more air, more heat transfer,
That should get you going.

Legionnaires Disease. Ever heard of it? Drain pans in units like that, is where it comes from.
10/7/2016 12:18pm
motogrady wrote:
Thing is, to replace that coil, if it's still available, is a big job. You need to reclaim the refrigerant, get that thing out, get a...

Thing is, to replace that coil, if it's still available, is a big job.
You need to reclaim the refrigerant, get that thing out, get a new one, braze it in with silver solder,
put the system under a vacuum, then recharge it.

We get maybe 1800 for something like that.
Total new system, in and outside units, maybe 3,500 tops.
All they need is a blower motor to go out, or a compressor and you have almost new money, in a 20 years pos.

That coil, think of it like the radiator on your bike.
You don't just brush your radiator off after a few races, you hose those things out, getting the dirt that's lodged half way
thru, so they breath.

Same with that coil. It's maybe 1.5 to 2 inches thick.
You really need to blast the crap thru it, then clean it.
You don't, the air going thru it doesn't dump the heat thru the fins, into the freon, to be carried to the outdoor unit where it is dumped. The hot air just passes thru what is really an insulated fin in a coil.

If you can get them to really clean that coil, and the blower, because air flow is your friend, more air, more heat transfer,
That should get you going.

Legionnaires Disease. Ever heard of it? Drain pans in units like that, is where it comes from.
Rent is High enough thst I don't feel bad for them having to replace a coil..

hillbilly
10/7/2016 2:29pm
Dont the new coils use small capillaries that an older compressor isnt compatible with or something?

I got extra parts when i put my janitrol in 20 yrs ago. I'm set till toe tag.
Homey55
10/7/2016 2:50pm
It was probably low airflow before they cleaned it and after it was cleaned it probably developed a leak. That coil has been sprayed so many times with cleaner that the fins are deteriorated and the pan is rusted out. You probably have condensate leaking underneath the unit as well. Depending on the location of the unit, you should see water stains under it. You may also find "black mold." I would mention that, as it usually lights a fire under the landlord's ass...maybe a casual mention of it to your neighbors will help, too.
SCR
10/7/2016 6:09pm
Like was previously said get a cheap thermometer and read return air and supply air. Should have 15 to 20 deg differential. I would say 18 minimum depending on your air flow. That coil does not look clogged and looks like it has been cleaned and brushed at least a few times. It does look like its about 10 or 15 years beyond its lifecycle and Im surprised it has not leaked thru the rotted drain pan.

I would push to get a new coil at minimum. Tell them its going to leak thru the pan sooner than later it will cost much more in water damage to the house than the new coil will cost. You can also mention that you have not felt well lately and its probably from the mold and bacteria in the coil. That might get their attention.
motogrady
10/7/2016 6:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2016 6:33pm
hillbilly wrote:
Dont the new coils use small capillaries that an older compressor isnt compatible with or something? I got extra parts when i put my janitrol in...
Dont the new coils use small capillaries that an older compressor isnt compatible with or something?

I got extra parts when i put my janitrol in 20 yrs ago. I'm set till toe tag.
You guys are gonna get me goin.

Hillbilly got a Janitrol eh.
That brand, was created by a great man.
Harold Goodman, legend has it, was a Seabee in WW2.
After the war, became an ac contractor in the upper Mid East.
With his work ethic, and a bit of good timing, got so big up there he was buying and installing most all of the central ac units manufactures had in that area.
So, he started making his own.
Got so big, the Unions tried to get in.
Told them to fuck off, moved everything to Houston, Texas.
Was one of the first guys to make flex duct.
Before his death, he had the 2nd largest ac manufacturing company in the USA.
His drunken son sold out, early 2000s, for 600 million.
Basic, reliable equipment that cost wise is hard to beat.
I still see a ton of it out there.

It's a good time to be in this trade.
The young guns won't remember, but maybe 30 years ago, the Government wanted to get rid of what is called r12.
It was a great refrigerant. Too good. It ran on pressure not much above 120 psi.
All cars ran on r12. The 12th refrigerant invented and patented.
You could cool stuff down to freezing if you wanted.
Problem was, when that shit leaked out, and cars with the hoses and engine shaking all the time leaked a lot, it being lighter than air went straight up to the clouds. The Ozone. And r12 depletes ozone at a rate of 1000 to 1.
So, the EPA and the Government gradually increased a tax on it till it was just too expensive for the average guy to want to use it. A 30 pound of 12 used to cost maybe 40 bucks. Now, it's around 1,600.

Now, r22, the stuff in racer29s unit, and Hillbillies unit, the 22nd freon, is no where near as bad as 12 was on the clouds, but, it has chlorine in it. That kinda messes with the clouds also, to a much lesser degree, but it still does.
So they are doing the same thing with 22 that they did with 12.
R22 was/is used on every central ac, every window unit, and a lot of restaurant coolers.
A jug of 22 that used to go for 45 bucks is now near 600, and rising every year.
So, a guy leaks refrigerant, on a typical heat pump or ac unit, and needs say, 5 lbs of r22, we sell it for around 125 a pound. Thats 600 bucks, plus the service call, plus trying to find the leak if the customer wants to.
You can bang a grand real easy working with r22. And next year, it's gonna be worse.
Last year, was the last year you could buy a system that ran on 22.
The Government put a stop to it. You can still get parts, but the manufactures are not wanting to mess with them.
They want to make new stuff.

Now, a new system, like racer29, will go for anywhere from 2500 to 10k, depending on the size and rating.
So, it's real easy, and will be for the next 5 to 10 years, to sell a new unit to a guy like Hillbilly.
You'd be foolish to spend a grand next year, and still have an old unit with plenty of other stuff ready to go bad,
with parts hard to find,
than to spend what it takes and get all new, with a 10 year all parts warranty.
And if you don't make 2 to 3 k on an new install, that takes a day, 2 max, to put in, you're giving your work away.
So, for the near future, it's kinda good pickings here in hvac land.

Now, r22, which runs on double the pressure of 12, let's say 220 psi, is half of what the new stuff, r410 runs.
On a hot day, on racer29s unit, if it was new, running 410, you can see 425 psi. Bare minimum, 320 psi.
That's why you can't mix the old 22 systems with the new, r410 systems.
We were blowing that stuff up left and right when they first started changing over.
The 22 systems were not designed for those pressures, they can't handle 410.

The only good thing about 410, besides the price, which is coming down as the others rise, is it has zero
Ozone depletion. It doesn't hurt the clouds.

And yeah, imagine what would happen, if the complex where racer 29 is living, got yanked up and had to fix or clean,
or replace the 100 or so units they have. Hell, one of our customers is a 450 unit complex.

But eh, there's a ton of landlords out there that do just what racer29s guy is doing.
Bare minimum, fix it till it can't be fixed, it's all about the bottom line, money wise, to those guys.
10/7/2016 8:18pm
So if they show no intrest in replacing what could a guy do to ummmmmm accelerate a failure thst would require replacement?
I've already played the mold and sick card and they didn't blink at all.

For what it's worth I do have some insane allergies and no doubt this is not helping.
hillbilly
10/7/2016 8:40pm
Had a neighbor that was the hvac guy here for years. He clued me in and I stocked up on components and refrigerant.

I thought the ozone shit was bullshit because the particles could not float all the way to ozone altitude,they were not light enuff.
SCR
10/7/2016 8:48pm
So if they show no intrest in replacing what could a guy do to ummmmmm accelerate a failure thst would require replacement? I've already played the...
So if they show no intrest in replacing what could a guy do to ummmmmm accelerate a failure thst would require replacement?

For what it's worth I do have some insane allergies and no doubt this is not helping.
Ask them if their home owner insur covers water damage because it's going to happen soon.
nicko-31
10/8/2016 1:13am
Iceon M099 is a good replacement for R/22 with only a 3% differientle volume. Not nearly as expensive as R/22.
markit
10/8/2016 4:20am
That whole system needs to be updated to a 410A system. The newer 410 coils are larger and not compatible with R22 systems (no longer available).
motogrady
10/8/2016 4:36am
So if they show no intrest in replacing what could a guy do to ummmmmm accelerate a failure thst would require replacement? I've already played the...

I ain't going there guy.
motogrady
10/8/2016 4:46am
hillbilly wrote:
Had a neighbor that was the hvac guy here for years. He clued me in and I stocked up on components and refrigerant. I thought the...
Had a neighbor that was the hvac guy here for years. He clued me in and I stocked up on components and refrigerant.

I thought the ozone shit was bullshit because the particles could not float all the way to ozone altitude,they were not light enuff.

Good deal Hillbilly.
A few guys I know stocked up on r12 back in the day, they were gonna make a killing.
But the manufactures came out with a replacement , r134, anyone can buy it at an auto parts store.
Blew that scheme right out of the water.

That's why I kinda think there's something to what you're saying, that all this changing stuff is just a way for the government and manufactures to make a killing.
Watch, when the bulk of the r22 systems are finally changed out in 5, 10 years, all of a sudden some magical
blend of freon that has zero depletion will be discovered.

Ya, keep the coils and blower clean, that Janitrol will last a long time.
Was on a GE last week, now they're Trane, effing thing was 36 years old, still pumping.Laughing
motogrady
10/8/2016 4:51am
nicko-31 wrote:
Iceon M099 is a good replacement for R/22 with only a 3% differientle volume. Not nearly as expensive as R/22.

I think that's the stuff that has a lot of propane in it.
We don't use it because of the chance a leak developing in a small, unventilated closet, making for a sizable explosion.

Ain't that the stuff you gotta be real careful working around with a torch?
motogrady
10/8/2016 5:06am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2016 5:11am
markit wrote:
That whole system needs to be updated to a 410A system. The newer 410 coils are larger and not compatible with R22 systems (no longer available).
Well, you can take a 410 coil and use 22 in it, the 410 coil will easily handle the pressure 22 runs on.
Metering device needs changing tho.
The hole that lits the freon squirt into the coil is a bit bigger or smaller between 22 and 410, if it's what is called a piston
metering device. It's just a small brass slug with a hole in it. The bigger the unit, the bigger the hole.
Another way they to it is with a txv, a thermal expantion valve. It senses how cold the coil gets with a copper blub that you clamp on the coil. The coils gets too cold, it squeezes or throttles off the freon squirting into the coil.
More accurate, but it's a moving part that can and does fail. They too are made just for 22 or 410, you gotta use the right valve for the right freon.
We use a lot of Carrier, and those fucking guys make it as complex as can be.
The top line Carrier stuff, Infinity and Greenspeed series are now coming with electronic txvs.
A sensor tells the computer what's happening, and the computer adjusts the exv.
Try and troubleshoot one of those things.

And yeah, the coils are getting bigger, but mainly to get better efficiency.
A 5 ton coil is a 5 ton coil.
That they won't fit into an old cabinet is the issue.
motogrady
10/8/2016 5:36am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2016 5:39am
And now, about the future.
Nico and market might find this interesting more than most, but it's relevant to all.
HVAC here in the States, is undergoing a a size able change that most don't see.
I was enlightened at a Carrier meeting last winter.

Oil furnaces, gas furnaces, heat pumps. Central airconditioners, hell, even wood burning stoves are targeted
by the powers that be.
Targeted in power consumption and pollution.
There is talk of, in the future, going as far as issuing a kind of ration card to the general public, or tax, on how much
energy you can use to cool or heat your house.
EPA gone wild.

And, at the moment, the clear leader in energy effiency, low cost of installation and performance, is Japan.
And they're doing it with these.

Ductless heat pumps.
Sales last year here in the US increased 492%.
Twice the effiency of regular heatpumps.
No duct work needed.
No flue or chimmney needed.
All electric, no pollution at the site.
The top of the line unit, Toshiba, the ones Carrier buys and slaps its name on, can heat a home with no electric
strip heaters to help it, down to -20 degrees outside.

Nothing made in America even comes close.

You wanna job for the future, learn how to work on these things.
They are incredibly complex.
Some, you need an oscilloscope to troubleshoot it.
Crazy, maybe.
But, if the Government has its way, and it looks like it's gonna happen even without them, these are what's coming.

Post a reply to: Any HVAC guys here?

The Latest