Any Electricians here?

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 8:55am
If so i have some questions pertaining to the trade
|
Motodave15
8/23/2014 9:16pm
Im just going to throw the question out there.

is a Electrician Summer helper the same as a apprentice? and if not, how far away am i?

I just made a big career change, left merchandising (any person with a pulse could do that).. To jump into a trade so i can move around later in life and have a actual skill... Im 25 and wondering if its too late to start... anyway any insight into this trade, would be greatly appreciated.
borg
8/24/2014 9:40am
One of the better trades IMO. Big future and not too many weekend warriors like there are in the other trades. Most people are afraid of it.
Old-Man
8/24/2014 9:53am
"is a Electrician Summer helper the same as a apprentice? and if not, how far away am i?"

The only difference is that you are actually going to school at the same time you are working. Work during the day and going to school at night to learn the trade. Plus you have to be with a company that sponsors you through the course.

Worked commercial construction all my career and Thats how I started. Not as an electrician but in masonry then to Project Manager. An Electrician is a good trade to get into.

BUTCH is an Electrician but I haven't seen him on here for awhile, hope all is good.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/24/2014 2:20pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Im just going to throw the question out there. is a Electrician Summer helper the same as a apprentice? and if not, how far away am...
Im just going to throw the question out there.

is a Electrician Summer helper the same as a apprentice? and if not, how far away am i?

I just made a big career change, left merchandising (any person with a pulse could do that).. To jump into a trade so i can move around later in life and have a actual skill... Im 25 and wondering if its too late to start... anyway any insight into this trade, would be greatly appreciated.
Contact http://www.goweca.com/ and get trained and become a registered apprentice. No you are not too young. They will find work for you while you are schooling and help you become a qualified Journeyman.

If they do not have a contact for you because you are out of their jurisdiction, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

The Shop

IWreckALot
8/25/2014 8:21am
Wish I would I have gone the electrician route at times. My father knows it pretty well. Seems like a good gig. When the housing market goes down, there's always other sorts of work you could do.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/25/2014 12:31pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Wish I would I have gone the electrician route at times. My father knows it pretty well. Seems like a good gig. When the housing market...
Wish I would I have gone the electrician route at times. My father knows it pretty well. Seems like a good gig. When the housing market goes down, there's always other sorts of work you could do.
Commercial construction, retro commissioning, Schools, Federal Projects. You can work as much or as little as you want to.

All not reliant on Housing Market.
Motodave15
8/25/2014 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 8:51pm
well guys thankyou for your input, I'm all signed up as summer helper with local 11 ibew... first step into the door.. Now i have to study my ass off to become a apprentice from what I've learned so far.

I'm a bit bummed though, the girl wouldn't let me buy the damn sticker because I'm not technically a member even though i paid my dues this monthAngry ... Confusing to say the least.

anyhoo, off to the Prefab shop tomorrow CoolCoolWoohoo

I was also looking at the list of classes today, and i definitely want to mess with Fiber optics being that its supposedly the future.
Old-Man
8/26/2014 8:55am
Congratulations man!
" i paid my dues this month ... Confusing to say the least."
Paying your due's and paying your dues are two different things.
10 years from now you will know what I mean.

Be thick skinned and laugh off the stupid shit, keep learning and work hard. You will soon find out who is looking out for you and who to listen to and those who talk shit to make themselves look good rather than let the work speak for itself.
Have pride in what you do.

Post a reply to: Any Electricians here?

The Latest