Any Browning shotgun experts here??

newmann
Edited Date/Time 11/26/2013 2:11pm
Looking for someone to give me a realistic value on this Browning pigeon grade gun and three barrel set and whether they are even worth buying at any price. From the appearance of the stock and the short tang trigger guard these may be late 60's-early 70's production "salt guns". The owner states they are in excellent condition and never have had any restoration or wood replaced. I can't see any signs of corrosion where the wood meets the metal but I know that can't be determined until the wood is removed for inspection. Comes with 410, 12 and 28 gauge barrels, 26 1/2 length. Numbers are visible on the barrels but the actual serial number (under break down lever??)has not been made available yet.

As I understand it, depending where the wood was located in the stack can determine the level of corrosiveness of the wood as the moisture concentrated the salt towards the bottom.

Sweet setup and I'm mostly interested in it for the 410 but not wanting to get something that's useless. Located in Florida and I'm in Texas so looking at it in person is not an option. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

|
MR. X
11/25/2013 9:04am
I rarely use the "B" word to describe a gun but that thing is beautiful . I use a Browning BPS for whitetail but it isnt even close to the same class of gun as that one.
Cygnus
11/25/2013 9:12am
There are a couple great browning sites out there. I have a couple but nothing as nice as that. My belgium light twelve was a duck boat gun so the stocks are a little beat up but it still shoots as good as day one. I've never had an issue with shooting it lefty and ejecting across my face. My goose gun is the BPS with the bottom eject and the goose and turkey engraving. Hard to go wrong with a browning. How much for that beauty?

http://www.browningowners.com/viewtopic.php?t=275

http://www.browningcollector.com/
newmann
11/25/2013 9:21am
It's fairly "cheap", but the more I read of the "salt gun" era the more I'm shying away. I'd have to get a local gun dealer or someone local regardless to verify the transaction as I never have too much of a warm fuzzy buying something like this over the net. They just look soooo damn good though.....

https://youtu.be/kfp3HCNRBaE

The Shop

Cygnus
11/25/2013 9:29am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2013 9:30am
Interesting stuff. Never heard of salt guns. Learn something new everyday.
newmann
11/25/2013 9:41am
Yep, walnut shortage back then with a lot of gun production going on. No time for proper kiln drying so covering the wood in layers of salt cut the curing time. After they realized the problems they burned the remaining wood but that was after about six years using it. Browning was restocking them for free for original owners for many years but the value still suffers.
reded
11/25/2013 3:37pm
I would think at some point the value would be higher due to limited availability and the history behind them.
Spartacus
11/25/2013 7:36pm
Head over to Shotgunworld.com and ask in the Browning forum. Some of those guys eat/sleep and crap Brownings.
11/26/2013 6:37am
relative to the "Salt Gun"; in the mid 1960s Browning Arms tried a technique to try and dry their stock wood quickly without using a kiln. They packed the wood in salt to absorb the moisture. I guess it worked ok in drawing out moisture but the result was very bad corrosion where the wood met the metal especially at the receiver of the gun. The internal parts rusted as well. It is difficult to tell from the pictures but my suspicion is that this gun suffered from the rust but was subsequently buffed. If you look closely at the pictures you will see that the engraving is not sharp all of the corners are rounded and "soft". Also if you look at the stock where it meets the receiver you can see how it is fairly dark, this was a symptom that was visible from the outside but the only real way of telling is to take the stock off and have a look at the internals. Like I said I "think" this one was redone but a careful inspection is really the only way to tell for sure.
peelout
11/26/2013 12:05pm
sweet shooter

i absolutely love my Browning Gold Hunter 12.... smooth action and very light
huck
11/26/2013 1:24pm
peelout wrote:
sweet shooter

i absolutely love my Browning Gold Hunter 12.... smooth action and very light
So did I, until the thing started jamming...every time!!! I've had 2 different gunsmiths look at it...no luck. Sad Ended up buying a cheap Stoeger..and love it.
kaw rider9
11/26/2013 2:10pm
I got a sweet Browning Citori last year. Great deal on it too. Best over/under I own.

Really want a BT99. those are bad ass!

Post a reply to: Any Browning shotgun experts here??

The Latest