Antenna TV

71Fish
There is a TV antenna in my attic from the previous owner. The antenna coax isn't connected. There are 2-3 other coax cables, I'm guessing are from the cable company, these also aren't connected. With the coax cables I described, is it possible to get over the air TV? Should I just start connecting stuff and see what happens? I don't want a surprise cable bill because I connected cable TV to my house.

You have to dumb it down if you answer as you may have guessed, I don't know much about this.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/10/2016 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 5:04pm
Yes, its possible. Is it an older analog or a new digital antenna? You just wanting to get air on one TV? You wont get random cable just by hooking up the coax. If the previous owners have paid through the next billing period, it could be on, but you wont get charged. Hooking up is not a deceleration of consenting to a cable agreement They wouldnt know who to charge. There are exceptions to everything but Ive never seen it different.
71Fish
10/10/2016 5:17pm
I have no idea if it's digital or analog. How do I tell? Told you I didn't know anything.

I just want to get the major networks and another local channel to get local fights.

I think Friday when I'm off I'll just start hooking shit up.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/10/2016 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 5:28pm
Honestly, Im not sure I could tell by looking at the bigger antennas that are often used in attics. About the only way I would know is to hook up and see.

Im actually trying to save you a bunch of work. How many TV's? If one or two, I would just go out and buy two digital antennas and hook them up directly and not mess with the attic issue. This may sound like a dumb question, but how old is the TV(s)?

Regardless, the picture quality is incredible.
71Fish
10/10/2016 5:33pm
TV is a 2007 Vizio.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/10/2016 5:42pm
71Fish wrote:
TV is a 2007 Vizio.
Ok, I think your safe. What I mean by that is, if a TV is too old, then it won't be able to even utilize the digital broadcasts and need a converter. I just dont know how old is too old.

Since it is just one TV, then I would go out and buy one and not mess with the other. They are fairly inexpensive and connect right up and you are good to go.
Old-Man
10/10/2016 5:56pm
Probably hooked into your neighbor's house if it's in your attic ..plug it in and see if you have live feed from a camera hooked to the other endLaughing
10/10/2016 5:57pm
I've run on antennae TV before and with the exception of not being able to watch SX and MX events I didn't miss cable at all. Absolutely the most vast wasteland ever created, 300 channels and not a flipping thing worth watching. It actually inspired me to read more, novels, mysteries and adventure type stuff.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/10/2016 6:00pm
Antenna now has a bunch of stations. Some stations have multiple offerings. For example, channel 5, 5.1, 5.2 and so on.
motogrady
10/10/2016 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2016 6:53pm
I'm hooked up that way.
I have dish.
I also have an old antenna in the attic.
Go coaxial from the antenna to the coxial fitting in the back of the flat screen tv.
Then hit the input button on the tv itself, or input or tv on your remote.
Mine comes up as hdtv 1, or hdtv 2, or video 1, or video 2.
HDTV 1 brings in satellite dish. 2 brings in the attic antenna.
It will not be cable. It will not be satellite. It will be signal coming directly from the local station.
I get Ohio, WV , Pittsberg and a weak Maryland station.
Run a search on both. Moving, or turning the antenna in the attic will help bring in more local channels.
It's a hit and miss, but once you find the right position, it should bring in all the local stations.
I went up there, we got one station to come in kinda fuzzy, then I turned it while Donna would yell "better,
better, no, go back, go back, better, RIGHT THERE. KEEP IT THERE".
Satellite goes out, we switch to antenna. Storms don't really mess with antenna like it does dish.

Like it is mentioned above, if it wasn't for History, HBO and Moto, dish would be gone in my house.

Oh, and it's free, and it's legal.
JustMX
10/11/2016 7:00am
Holy shit.....

I never thought it would.come.to.old.guys explaining.to someone young how.to.hook up an ota antenna.

Holy crap.

It's like.hooking up.jumper.cables.except if.you get the antenna wires hooked up wrong YOU COULD.DIE!
hillbilly
10/11/2016 2:05pm
An antenna with elements used a flat ,2 wire, you need a 75ohm to 3OO ohm transformer,bout size of a triple a battery.

You used to get them with TVs rabbit ears. A little square box with 2 screws on one side for the 2 wire antenna and coax on the other.

Any element antenna will pick up digital,you just got to get to coax thru what i described above.

If the antenna has horizontal and a vertical element setup it is uhf and vhf. ,horizontal is vhf, vertical uhf.

I use one,new tvs,flat ones are digital ready,old cathode tubes are not and need a decoder.
JustMX
10/12/2016 4:41am
If you have to get a decoder look for one on amazon called homework.

They work good and have a feature that lets you use it as a DVR recording it to a USB device.

I couldn't get the files to play on anything but the box but it is still handy for recording stuff you want to watch at home.

Whole set up is about $50..
borg
10/12/2016 6:52am
I need to do a little research on this issue. Cable tv is a huge wasteland that I'm paying for. Especially since I pay extra for HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I'm such a movie snob that there is never anything worth watching on those Premium channels. It comes with the package though. There are things I cant do without though. I need to check local antenna lineup as well as what I can stream to see if I can drop the tv part of my cable package.
hillbilly
10/13/2016 5:35am
borg wrote:
I need to do a little research on this issue. Cable tv is a huge wasteland that I'm paying for. Especially since I pay extra for...
I need to do a little research on this issue. Cable tv is a huge wasteland that I'm paying for. Especially since I pay extra for HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I'm such a movie snob that there is never anything worth watching on those Premium channels. It comes with the package though. There are things I cant do without though. I need to check local antenna lineup as well as what I can stream to see if I can drop the tv part of my cable package.
There are movie channels on my antenna,they are older movies but i get hooked on one quiet often.

Watched "the hit" a while back. Billy dee Williams and Richard Pryor ,it was great.
10/13/2016 9:03am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2016 9:04am
hulu plus is pretty worth it. The ad free version. Lets your wife watch all the primetime shows she wants, just a day late....

Problem is you need fast internet to stream. It's like they got you. You pay $80 a month fro fast interenet then sub services (netflix, hulu, amazon video, ps vue)and you're back to 100/mo for cable. Form the cable company if you bundle all together its like 100-130. They got you anyway. You'll pay, lol.

And now ISP's are dabbling with calculating your data and charging you by that. So when Cable goes belly up, and the Directv sattelite turns into orbiting space junk......you'll be paying for DATA like you do on your cell phone plans....GRR.
motogrady
10/13/2016 11:22am

Digital smigital, it don't matter.

I got started on something like this. It was already there.
But, like this one, you couldn't turn it.

So, I made up a 30 inch by 30 inch square frame out of PVC pipe.
Drilled 1/4 holes, I inch apart, down the sides.
Stripped some copper wire, 14 gauge, threaded thru the holes so I had a 30 inch square of copper wires running thru
it 1 inch apart.
Put that on a PVC pipe that sticks down into the garage, thru the ceiling by about 2 feet.
I can turn it from the garage.

Got one of these from Lowes, in the electric dept.

They still sell antennas believe it or not.

Copper wires to this adapter, adapter to coaxial cable, cable to flat screen.

Fuck the man.
71Fish
10/14/2016 5:02pm
I have 45 digital channels.
JRT812
10/14/2016 5:25pm
I started out with the Mohu 30 and it was ok. I recently upgraded to the Mohu 60 and tied it into our box from the shit hole company named Comcast, which is also in the attic. Works well in each room. We get 40-45 channels and most are not watched but all local channels have a strong signal.
hillbilly
10/15/2016 5:37am
motogrady wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/13/155574/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Digital smigital, it don't matter. I got started on something like this. It was already there. But, like this one, you couldn't turn it. So...

Digital smigital, it don't matter.

I got started on something like this. It was already there.
But, like this one, you couldn't turn it.

So, I made up a 30 inch by 30 inch square frame out of PVC pipe.
Drilled 1/4 holes, I inch apart, down the sides.
Stripped some copper wire, 14 gauge, threaded thru the holes so I had a 30 inch square of copper wires running thru
it 1 inch apart.
Put that on a PVC pipe that sticks down into the garage, thru the ceiling by about 2 feet.
I can turn it from the garage.

Got one of these from Lowes, in the electric dept.

They still sell antennas believe it or not.

Copper wires to this adapter, adapter to coaxial cable, cable to flat screen.

Fuck the man.
Cool man.

I never thought to look at lowes for the transformers. Radioshack wants a sixpack for them.

My buddy got a RV type at the fleamarket. It is a 50 buck rotating unit,small,maybe 20 inches. He got it for 5 bucks ,new ,in the box.

Post a reply to: Antenna TV

The Latest