Android alternative to Samsung Galaxy?

RACERX69
Edited Date/Time 8/3/2014 9:07pm
Been using Android phones for the last several years and most recently a Samsung Galaxy S3. I really like the Android based phones, especially the Galaxy. However, i'm in need of an upgrade, but DO NOT want the new Galaxy S5. It's simply too darn big, which brings me to my question. Besides the S5, what type of Android phone would you guy's recommend? The features most important to me are...something that fits in my front pocket, has excellent battery life and isn't loaded down with a bunch of useless apps I can't use or delete. Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible. I can get used to anything.

What do you guys think?
|
CR250Rider
7/29/2014 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2014 8:03pm
my S4 fits in my front pocket. my note 3 wont. Got a super rugged rubber case too. dropped s4 +20 times still good. note 2 cracked the screen easily.
love my S4 with verizon
JPT
7/29/2014 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2014 8:23pm
Razor Mini fits that bill. It's the follow up to the Razor M. My wife has the S5 and I agree, it's too big.
mx757
7/29/2014 9:04pm
Ive heard the LG G3 is pretty badass, but I have no personal experience with it.

The Shop

enketchum
7/30/2014 12:17am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2014 12:19am
You either get bloat ware on a good phone or you buy an ok phone with AOSP.

If you don't know what AOSP is, research it. It's not worth writing if you aren't going to read this

And this:

S5:
5.1 inch, Super AMOLED, 1,920x1,080 pixels, 432 ppi

S3:
4.8-inches, AMOLED, 1,280x720 pixels, 306 ppi

You will not find battery life like the Galaxy S series. There are very few other true LED displays out there
reded
7/30/2014 2:59am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2014 3:03am
Everyone I know at work with a Galaxy has the damned thing plugged in all day long so the battery won't be dead when they get off work. I trudge along with my, according to Galaxy users,"POS" apple 4s from sun up to sundown and rarely need an extra charge.

Just stating my experience. I have no loyalty to any brand.
PalerBlue
7/30/2014 3:06am
Do they not sell the "mini" versions of the Galaxys where you are?

I have a Galaxy S3 Mini and it's great, EXCEPT the damn thing will occasionally start changing the settings while I'm in the middle of a phone call ! Apparently this is not uncommon.

Does anybody know how to lock the settings in the phone so this stops happening?
7/30/2014 7:17am
I have the Motorola moto x and like it quite a bit. Pretty base android is too, not many preinstalled apps.
S.Loyer
7/30/2014 9:11am
They make and S4 & S5 Mini....
enketchum
7/31/2014 11:30pm
reded wrote:
Everyone I know at work with a Galaxy has the damned thing plugged in all day long so the battery won't be dead when they get...
Everyone I know at work with a Galaxy has the damned thing plugged in all day long so the battery won't be dead when they get off work. I trudge along with my, according to Galaxy users,"POS" apple 4s from sun up to sundown and rarely need an extra charge.

My students always want to charge their phones during class and they are a mostly apple devices. They mostly have iPhones so that may be why. It really depends on what apps you have installed that will not shut off in the background.

What I will say is, almost all of the kids have SMASHED screens. Nearly 80% of the phone screens I see in the classroom have horribly cracked screens.
reded
8/1/2014 3:37am
Send them my way, I replace a few screens each week in my spare time. Makes for great pocket money.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/1/2014 10:57am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2014 10:58am
My s4 stays charged until next day and I use it all day. You have to hit the back button after using apps or else they will all stay on if you just hit home. Sometimes I hold the home button to see the apps still running and stop them. It saves battery life.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/1/2014 1:48pm
I think my daughter just went from s4 to nexus.
HD1200
8/2/2014 2:56pm
JPT hit the nail on the head! I have the RAZR M and the battery life is exceptional for a fairly small phone. I always carry mine in my pocket. It's 4G and pretty fast. I have it in an Otter Box which makes it very durable, I work in the construction field and have dropped it several times work no damage to phone. Had very reliable signal (Verizon Network). I can't stand the new big phones either and have really loved this one.
level
8/3/2014 9:06pm
RACERX69 wrote:
Been using Android phones for the last several years and most recently a Samsung Galaxy S3. I really like the Android based phones, especially the Galaxy...
Been using Android phones for the last several years and most recently a Samsung Galaxy S3. I really like the Android based phones, especially the Galaxy. However, i'm in need of an upgrade, but DO NOT want the new Galaxy S5. It's simply too darn big, which brings me to my question. Besides the S5, what type of Android phone would you guy's recommend? The features most important to me are...something that fits in my front pocket, has excellent battery life and isn't loaded down with a bunch of useless apps I can't use or delete. Beyond that, I'm pretty flexible. I can get used to anything.

What do you guys think?
S5 is not that big so I'm not really sure what your talking about. It's a prefect size for a smartphone. You could try the HTC mini. About the same size as iPhone but the S5 is a killer phone-top of the line. If you didn't want a bunch of add-ons installed which to me I personally like because they fit with the phone and experience really well then you could get a nexus. It's just pure android. No customization from Samsung, HTC, etc.
level
8/3/2014 9:07pm
reded wrote:
Everyone I know at work with a Galaxy has the damned thing plugged in all day long so the battery won't be dead when they get...

enketchum wrote:
My students always want to charge their phones during class and they are a mostly apple devices. They mostly have iPhones so that may be why...
My students always want to charge their phones during class and they are a mostly apple devices. They mostly have iPhones so that may be why. It really depends on what apps you have installed that will not shut off in the background.

What I will say is, almost all of the kids have SMASHED screens. Nearly 80% of the phone screens I see in the classroom have horribly cracked screens.
I can see that. For some reason teens do have cracked screens a lot. It's crazy.

Post a reply to: Android alternative to Samsung Galaxy?

The Latest