!@#$%^ Amazon

borg
Just found a $107.00 charge from Amazon to my checking acct. I checked the same month a year ago and it was there too. Somehow I got signed up with Amazon Prime. I don't even know WTF it is but I would NEVER and I repeat NEVER intentionally sign up for anything that automatically draws out of my checking acct. I had a really bad experience with that about 12 years ago and will never do it again. They don't send an email or notify you in any way that they are doing it. You have to catch on your statement. I'm not one of those guys that pours over my statement with a magnifying glass and I buy from Amazon all the time so I probably just zipped right past it last year. This time it stood out because I haven't bought anything recently. I cancelled it and they say they will refund me. Why do they have to be so devious about it?
|
9/9/2016 11:11am
Movies and all the music you ever want. And two day shipping. Haha.

It's nice when you know you got it....
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/9/2016 11:20am
What did you order from them recently? I bought a few things yesterday, and you have to pay attention to not accidentally click the Prime free trial deal on checkout.
Rooster
9/9/2016 11:29am
GuyB wrote:
What did you order from them recently? I bought a few things yesterday, and you have to pay attention to not accidentally click the Prime free...
What did you order from them recently? I bought a few things yesterday, and you have to pay attention to not accidentally click the Prime free trial deal on checkout.
That free two day shipping offer with prime is what gets most people signed up without realizing it.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
9/9/2016 11:42am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 12:29pm
watch where it gets shipped from....if you order...I ordered some gears sunday ...wanting them before sat. to race...haha..they are coming from china.

The Shop

borg
9/9/2016 12:34pm
GuyB wrote:
What did you order from them recently? I bought a few things yesterday, and you have to pay attention to not accidentally click the Prime free...
Apparently I've been signed up for some time. It has to go back to 2015 because the same charge was there in September last year. Same as this one. I just had no idea I was signed up. In the last few months I've bought quite a bit. Everything from glass drills to guitar strings and propane torches. In fact, I just ordered the glass drill and some finger ease (it's for guitars). It shipped the next day but I wont get it for 3 weeks. What the hell good is Prime if it takes 3 weeks to get here? I probably clicked the wrong thing by mistake like Rooster said but that had to have been over a year ago. Anyway it seems kind of shady.
SEE ARE125
9/9/2016 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 1:50pm
GuyB wrote:
borg wrote:
Apparently I've been signed up for some time. It has to go back to 2015 because the same charge was there in September last year. Same...
Apparently I've been signed up for some time. It has to go back to 2015 because the same charge was there in September last year. Same as this one. I just had no idea I was signed up. In the last few months I've bought quite a bit. Everything from glass drills to guitar strings and propane torches. In fact, I just ordered the glass drill and some finger ease (it's for guitars). It shipped the next day but I wont get it for 3 weeks. What the hell good is Prime if it takes 3 weeks to get here? I probably clicked the wrong thing by mistake like Rooster said but that had to have been over a year ago. Anyway it seems kind of shady.
Not everything qualifies for Prime shipping. The item needs to have the little Prime logo by it to get the free 2 day shipping. There may be 8 of the same item listed, but maybe only 2 or 3 qualify for Prime shipping. I have to say, if you listen to much music on your phone or stream movies/tv, Prime is worth it. Doubt I would get it for just the 2-day shipping though.
peelout
9/9/2016 2:08pm
gotta check your shit a little more often bro
borg
9/9/2016 6:31pm
peelout wrote:
gotta check your shit a little more often bro
You have an amazing ability to detect the obvious.
Yes I know. I'm not a detail guy.
9/9/2016 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2016 7:24pm
Hm. Maybe check your credit card statements for monthly charges that you don't know about.

Get a college email and it's $40 for 4 years.

Go to community college. Sign up for classes. Get email. Drop all classes 1st day. 100% refund. And now you get Amazon prime student for the next 4 years for $49.99 a year.
nicko-31
9/10/2016 5:31pm
I just passed up saving $15.00 on Amazon for a carbureator because of this shit. Got it from Ebay just because Amazon is a sneaky bunch of Bitches.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/13/2016 7:22am
You also get unlimited cloud photo storage with prime.
jasonward73
9/13/2016 7:53am
My prime account was just renewed and I probably received 3-4 email reminders that it was going to renew then a confirmation email when it did renew.

Since you are an active user I would have to assume your email in your profile is up to date so like someone said before...

Check your shit bro... Can't blame ignorance here (assuming your email on file is accurate).

It pays for itself if you're a frequent shopper. I travel for work so Amazon is my "mall".

Jason
borg
9/13/2016 8:26am
My prime account was just renewed and I probably received 3-4 email reminders that it was going to renew then a confirmation email when it did...
My prime account was just renewed and I probably received 3-4 email reminders that it was going to renew then a confirmation email when it did renew.

Since you are an active user I would have to assume your email in your profile is up to date so like someone said before...

Check your shit bro... Can't blame ignorance here (assuming your email on file is accurate).

It pays for itself if you're a frequent shopper. I travel for work so Amazon is my "mall".

Jason
Here's the deal: when you sign up for prime, you check a box that says "notify me when renewal is due". If you read my posts, I never signed up. They signed me up probably because I hit the wrong button on a purchase. If you inadvertently "sign up" that neat little box is not checked for you. That's really handy for them. I am totally guilty of laziness when it comes to bank statements but remember, this billing is once a year and for me it looked like just another Amazon bill until I realized that I hadn't purchased anything recently. What they are guilty of is leaving that box unchecked by default. That's intentional and chickenshit.
bronwynrayne
9/13/2016 8:33am
I'm with you man! I hate it how websites do that- I recently went through my email and cleaned it out, unsubscribing from every single junk mailer that I have inadvertently signed up for in the past year.

It's the same idea! You use your email for something basic, and they have a tic box that you miss, that they automatically tic for you upon sign up for an account or something, and then you have a million junk emails. I don't know why they even think junk mail works anymore, I don't read it, and it doesn't promote their brand or site to me in a positive way.

Anyways, good job on catching it. Only fool ya once then you check your statements more carefully. I'm not one to do so, but every now and again I catch myself going through it to make sure that they're totally accurate when telling me my credit card is maxed out haha!
jasonward73
9/13/2016 8:34am
When I signed up it wasn't just a "check a box and now you are locked in forever" type of deal. When you hit submit on that page it directs you to a page that asks you to acknowledge and accept the terms and conditions of becoming a prime member. You CAN NOT proceed without acknowledging this. It is not a one click dealio, Amazon isn't some po dunk outfit of 5 people that nobody watches. They are heavily regulated and if this was setup this way people would revolt in waves.

The title of this thread should be "!@#$%^ Myself". You fucked up, didn't pay attention to what the fuck you were doing, ignored your bank statements, and then come on here and act like Amazon is at fault (based on your title). Suck it up bro. The only person you should be mad at is yourself.

borg
9/13/2016 8:44am
Since I'm in such a typing mood today I'll explain why I would NEVER sign up for anything that automatically draws out of my checking account. When I got divorced, we closed the joint checking account. When I started getting overdraft notices, which were covered by my credit card, I went to the bank and told them that account was closed. They said it wasn't because I had authorized an automatic withdrawal and only the company that I had authorized could stop the withdrawal. They also could not tell who it was. I had to find out on my own. it turns out it was them. Some years earlier, I had signed up for mortgage insurance through the bank and had forgotten about it. Again, my bad for not seeing it on previous statements, but the little wifey was handling that. Their bad? Not telling me that THEY were the ones withdrawing the funds. It was only about 10 bucks but it was enough to trigger the overdraft on an empty account. Again, very handy for them but chickenshit. The overdraft costed way more that 10 bucks. I forget what it was now but it was substantial. And that is why I would never had knowingly signed up for Prime or anything like it.
bronwynrayne
9/13/2016 8:46am
This guy just needs someone to be mad at. ^^

I just checked my amazon too, which I RARELY use, and it had me signed up for auto renew aswell. Luckily I switched credit cards this year and the one they had on file for me was invalid.

Here is how it works; it's not theft, it's marketing. Amazon is a multi billion dollar company, and they employ many tactics to make money by appealing to consumers. What happens is when you order something they have a fancy offer like 2 day shipping that interests you, and they offer you a "free trial" for 30 days. In the terms it will tell you that if you don't cancel within that 30 day period, you will be charged the fee and considered to have chosen to keep your membership. This is marketing strategy, as most people will forget that they signed up and forget to cancel their membership with Prime- it also gives you time to try the service and decide if it is something you are interested in keeping on your account.

They send out a million frickin emails trying to get people to buy shit, it would be easy enough for them to send out an email at the end of the free trial (they definitely would if they couldn't directly charge your card and needed your approval before withdrawing funds). Anyways, I am not upset because I know this happens all the time, but there is something to be said for every single holier than thou, condescending person commenting on this angrily.

Human mistakes dude, glad you're getting your refund. Like I said, likely now we will both be a little more careful!
borg
9/13/2016 8:57am
When I signed up it wasn't just a "check a box and now you are locked in forever" type of deal. When you hit submit on...
When I signed up it wasn't just a "check a box and now you are locked in forever" type of deal. When you hit submit on that page it directs you to a page that asks you to acknowledge and accept the terms and conditions of becoming a prime member. You CAN NOT proceed without acknowledging this. It is not a one click dealio, Amazon isn't some po dunk outfit of 5 people that nobody watches. They are heavily regulated and if this was setup this way people would revolt in waves.

The title of this thread should be "!@#$%^ Myself". You fucked up, didn't pay attention to what the fuck you were doing, ignored your bank statements, and then come on here and act like Amazon is at fault (based on your title). Suck it up bro. The only person you should be mad at is yourself.

Not sure when you signed up. I'm not even sure when I did but it's still chickenshit to default to "no email notification" Why do you think it would that be there? In hopes that somebody misses it. That's why. Again, my bad for not paying close enough attention but their bad for even having a "sneak it through" option. My last post should make it clear that I would never intentionally sign up for anything like that. Maybe somebody else did it on my behalf or maybe it was a fuckup on their part and please don't tell me that these companies don't fuckup.
borg
9/13/2016 9:00am
This guy just needs someone to be mad at. ^^ I just checked my amazon too, which I RARELY use, and it had me signed up...
This guy just needs someone to be mad at. ^^

I just checked my amazon too, which I RARELY use, and it had me signed up for auto renew aswell. Luckily I switched credit cards this year and the one they had on file for me was invalid.

Here is how it works; it's not theft, it's marketing. Amazon is a multi billion dollar company, and they employ many tactics to make money by appealing to consumers. What happens is when you order something they have a fancy offer like 2 day shipping that interests you, and they offer you a "free trial" for 30 days. In the terms it will tell you that if you don't cancel within that 30 day period, you will be charged the fee and considered to have chosen to keep your membership. This is marketing strategy, as most people will forget that they signed up and forget to cancel their membership with Prime- it also gives you time to try the service and decide if it is something you are interested in keeping on your account.

They send out a million frickin emails trying to get people to buy shit, it would be easy enough for them to send out an email at the end of the free trial (they definitely would if they couldn't directly charge your card and needed your approval before withdrawing funds). Anyways, I am not upset because I know this happens all the time, but there is something to be said for every single holier than thou, condescending person commenting on this angrily.

Human mistakes dude, glad you're getting your refund. Like I said, likely now we will both be a little more careful!
Hey!! My pissy little rant actually helped somebody. It makes it all worthwhile for the shit I'm getting for it now.
Tim507
9/13/2016 11:31am
I rather like Amazon Prime...was matching my drum brakes to the drum and needed some machinist bluing - $6.00 and 2 days later, no freight.

I buy my tires on Amazon (takes a bit to read and compare) prices can be extremely good. Ship freight free with Prime - again you must pay attention.

Just bought some Bib Mousse on Amazon $105 vs $150 + and with prime shipped free.

The key is to read/compare/wait and do it again - you cannot be in a rush. It is amazing what one can find on The Big A
borg
9/13/2016 6:02pm
Tim507 wrote:
I rather like Amazon Prime...was matching my drum brakes to the drum and needed some machinist bluing - $6.00 and 2 days later, no freight. I...
I rather like Amazon Prime...was matching my drum brakes to the drum and needed some machinist bluing - $6.00 and 2 days later, no freight.

I buy my tires on Amazon (takes a bit to read and compare) prices can be extremely good. Ship freight free with Prime - again you must pay attention.

Just bought some Bib Mousse on Amazon $105 vs $150 + and with prime shipped free.

The key is to read/compare/wait and do it again - you cannot be in a rush. It is amazing what one can find on The Big A
Just to be clear, I really like Amazon too. I buy lots of stuff there and will continue to do so. I remember one order, it was for a french fry cutter and a hernia truss. They are amazing.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/13/2016 6:14pm
Borg,

Like you, I avoid auto drafts at all costs as its not a matter of if, but when you have crap like this happen. I hate it. If I have to do a auto then I tie it to my debit card. If a company is giving you the run around, report your card lost and that takes care of that. Having said that, I really like Amazon Prime as it really does offer a lot for the money. Since I cut the cord, I find myself more interested in Amazon than Netflix. That does wax and wane though. Im shocked at the music selection, didnt even know it came with that until my teenagers told me, of course. But, what you have been through certainly leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
borg
9/14/2016 8:11am
Sandspider, Brittney : Went through customer service online. Charges have already been reversed.
I heard a few years back that using a debit card online is not a good idea. Having had a rough time with a credit card once, I swore to never use it again once it was paid of. I may have to rethink that now that I buy quite a bit on line. I also pay my utilities and car insurance on line too.
What do see as the advantage of credit over debit?
SEE ARE125
9/14/2016 8:34am
borg wrote:
Sandspider, Brittney : Went through customer service online. Charges have already been reversed. I heard a few years back that using a debit card online is...
Sandspider, Brittney : Went through customer service online. Charges have already been reversed.
I heard a few years back that using a debit card online is not a good idea. Having had a rough time with a credit card once, I swore to never use it again once it was paid of. I may have to rethink that now that I buy quite a bit on line. I also pay my utilities and car insurance on line too.
What do see as the advantage of credit over debit?
No real advantage. If you use your card as debit, you're only protected as far as your bank sees fit. If you run it as credit, your protected by Visa or MasterCard(whoever is on your card) and they require the bank to replace the money you lost. So running your debit card as "credit" offers the same level of protection as using a credit card. I never use a credit card, but always run my debit card as "credit" instead of debit. The only disadvantage is(in this case), you might be out $107 until you call Visa and get it reversed. Not really a big deal though, you're usually credited the money within an hour or so of calling.

You could also get a reloadable pre-paid Visa card to use for online purchases. Just call and add money to it before making online purchases.

If you have a smartphone, I would recommend getting your banks online banking app, then you can easily check your account daily. Just scan through it at the end of each day confirming every purchase. Takes like 2 min.
9/14/2016 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2016 1:50pm
I don't link my checking account to anything. Let the bank figure out their leverage credit line. $500-2000 credit limit card will get you by just fine in life. Charge it up, pay it off. Repeat. Once your checking is compromised....well.... they will take their time when figuring out where my cash went.
borg
9/14/2016 2:57pm
Went to the bank and spoke to a banker and he verified what Britttney and others have said. Use your credit card online and anywhere for that matter. Of course they have a stake in it too but what he said made sense. My credit card is not linked in any way to my checking acct. and I have no overdraft protection for my debit card, which is the way I want it. I usually just roll my eyes when I hear about all this cash back, points, miles and any of the gimicky bs but it comes with using the credit card so I'll take it.
KTMShane699
9/14/2016 5:02pm
borg wrote:
Went to the bank and spoke to a banker and he verified what Britttney and others have said. Use your credit card online and anywhere for...
Went to the bank and spoke to a banker and he verified what Britttney and others have said. Use your credit card online and anywhere for that matter. Of course they have a stake in it too but what he said made sense. My credit card is not linked in any way to my checking acct. and I have no overdraft protection for my debit card, which is the way I want it. I usually just roll my eyes when I hear about all this cash back, points, miles and any of the gimicky bs but it comes with using the credit card so I'll take it.
Don't discount the cash back if you get a good rewards card and pay it in full every month. We use our cash back cards for everything. In doing so, it's paid for more than one vacation for us or provided us with some extra money. The moment you have to pay interest you've lost the benefit of cash back. The way I see it, at anywhere between one and six percent cash back (depending on the card and promotion) it's getting money back for money I would have spent anyway.

Right now we have about $1400-1500 that we've earned in cash back. All without doing anything special.
9/14/2016 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2016 9:24pm
1) isolation from your money.
2) the CC companies are constantly looking for suspicious charges, ie, fraudulent charges. I've been saved a few times when charges from India were attempted. They suspended my cc, I called them and sure enough some douchbag got my acct number . 3 days later I had new cards in the mail with all new numbers. Now with the sim chip cards maybe this won't happen so often. The cc companies really do pay attention.
3) AIRPLANE MILES! HELLO?! I absolutely love my miles
4) you must pay off the full balance every month. If you can't, don't get a CC.
5) setup bank alerts ANYTIME any of your accounts have activity. I get an instant emails. Great feature.
6) get a no annual fee card

Post a reply to: !@#$%^ Amazon

The Latest