Alabama / Georgia border

I have recently been offered a job opportunity in Alabama just off the 20 highway. I know very little about the area. Only what impression Ive been given from TV.

I was initially considering the job opportunity because I was told the job would be closer to Atlanta. I have a lot of friends & family out that way. I just started a family of my own. I like the area. And the wife and I are looking to put down roots. Atlanta was being given serious consideration.

The job would pay very well and it is something I would enjoy doing, (tho only about half of what Im used to making). But the cost of living in the area would be MUCH less than what Im used too. So it's a wash on that front. I have been offered equity in the company and the chance to join a very successful team with a proven track record.

The downsides are that the actual location of the offices I'd be working out of are dead in the middle between Birmingham and Atlanta. Out in the middle of fucking nowhere as far as I am concerned. I'd be living way too damn far from my friends and family to warrant frequent family get togethers. So my wife and I would be starting over our entire lives from a social standpoint.

Another downside is that I cannot seem to find any homes for sale or rent in the area that are not chicken coops. No gated communities. Nothing super nice that we are accustomed to living. Am I just not good at using Zillow or is this really bumfuck nowhere?

I'd like to know what some of you think of the area that have more experience with it.

Are there motocross tracks nearby?
Tennis clubs?
Watersports areas?
Decent neighborhoods?
What's traffic like?

Im considering as far East as the Villa Rica area to find a proper home.

Any feedback or experiences you can share are welcome.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/16/2017 11:10pm
I’ve heard the Florida/Georgia line has a country feel to it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/16/2017 11:42pm
It's bumfuck nowhere, near where I live. Highland Park and the almighty monster mountain would be within a "short" drive of you though. Within an hour I think. Some great mountain biking, caving, and kayaking in this area as well. Looking at about a 2 or 3 hour drive to get to atl, but with that said you're also in between Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Birmingham. So lots to see/do long as you can make the drive. I'm used to it, everyone out here is. I drive an hour to work. If you're from a big city though, you're gonna have a hard time.
Traffic is Alabama is great, Atlanta sucks. All the time.
This ain't tennis club area. Might be some around but I ain't heard of em.
Got a new sports place in Emerson Georgia, gonna be about 1~1.5 hour drive for you. The lake ain't much further either.

Short story, you're looking in the sticks. Gated communites, tennis, and gay clubs aren't around here. Farms, liquor stores, and motocross tracks is what you get.
Villa Rica is kinda metro Atlanta though, just be ready for the traffic that'll come with it (depending on the hours and direction you're going it may be non existant)
MR. X
11/17/2017 2:44am
No gated communities sounds like a good start .
SEE ARE125
11/17/2017 5:03am
This is how you do it. If you can’t find a house you like, buy one of those chicken coops and deal with it for a couple years, while you find a nice piece of land and build the home you want. Get enough land so that you have some elbow room between the houses next to you, 10 acres or so should be a good start, and having high speed internet available would be a nice bonus. Oh and since it won’t be a gated community you won’t have stupid HOA fees and you can paint your front door whatever color you want, or build a small practice track on your land. Really no one to tell you what you can/can’t do. When your new house is complete, rent out the aforementioned chicken coop, or sell it. Enjoy living in the country and the freedom that comes with it.

The Shop

Squitlege
11/17/2017 6:00am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 6:02am
Been up to ride Highland park and Monster mtn a few times. I personally love the area you are talking about. Like anywhere, there are nice pockets and derelict areas too. But it is definitely about as country as it gets. I avoid Atlanta at all costs, but thats just me.. Im not a fan of ATL in the slightest. Lower population density and slow home turnover out in the sticks where you are looking, going to be hard to find something "perfect" in a short time period. Take your time and find what you like or build. One major plus of being out in the boonies... CHEAP land! Take advantage of that and you'll learn to love the slower pace being outside the big metro area.
JustMX
11/17/2017 6:40am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 6:41am
Why in the hell would you need a gated community in a rural area?

Get a Damn dog and a pump shotgun..... seriously

Oh, and interstates in this part of the country are not referred to as "the".... you would get on i-20, maybe "20" if you are talking to somebody that kind of knows where you are talking about.
agn5009
11/17/2017 7:03am
If you're not into secluded country living then you'll be miserable there.

Me personally, I'll take the safe, beautiful, peaceful living an hour outside a big city over putting up with the city nonsense any day. Don't gotta worry about gangs, don't gotta worry about your kids playing outside, don't gotta worry about too much at home honestly. Just relaxation as it should be for someone who has worked hard.

I used to live and work in a shit hole city with high crime rate. I was absolutely miserable and got outta there as fast as possible. It sounds like you're the opposite. Sounds like you'll be miserable outside of a city.
11/17/2017 7:59am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 9:04am
agn5009 wrote:
If you're not into secluded country living then you'll be miserable there. Me personally, I'll take the safe, beautiful, peaceful living an hour outside a big...
If you're not into secluded country living then you'll be miserable there.

Me personally, I'll take the safe, beautiful, peaceful living an hour outside a big city over putting up with the city nonsense any day. Don't gotta worry about gangs, don't gotta worry about your kids playing outside, don't gotta worry about too much at home honestly. Just relaxation as it should be for someone who has worked hard.

I used to live and work in a shit hole city with high crime rate. I was absolutely miserable and got outta there as fast as possible. It sounds like you're the opposite. Sounds like you'll be miserable outside of a city.
Honestly, I've lived in both. I grew up in about as remote a rural area as it gets. The nearest stoplight was 2 hours away.

Moved to Southern California in my 20's and lived all over. Certain pockets I loved living (Westwood, Hollywood Hills, Fullerton) and certain pockets I absolutely HATED living in (Irvine, Temecula).

I've lived in Las Vegas (eventually grew to hate it: traffic, crime, shitty culture). Also lived in Portland which was pretty nice but the long winters were kinda a deal breaker for me. Ive lived in Florida as well but it was the along the eastern coast line. Miami wasnt far away and I was much younger then so my priorities were different.

I moved back to the sticks a few years ago. It was also a lucrative job offer that required me to basically live for work. But at this point the wife and I are both pretty worn out by the 4 hour round trips just to get groceries. Yeah, I love the freedom and space that comes with having a ranch, but I also have done that lifestyle for the better part of 25 years of my life. I was looking forward to living closer to certain creature comforts. Especially since this new job opportunity would require some pretty heavy hours for the next few years.

Family is a big reason for the potential move. The idea of living close to so many friends and family near Atlanta was really appealing. It's not that we couldnt live on a ranch again. But I gotta find at least a decent home to live in for the short term. Which is a struggle via Craigslist & Zillow at the moment.
11/17/2017 8:03am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 8:43am
JustMX wrote:
Why in the hell would you need a gated community in a rural area? Get a Damn dog and a pump shotgun..... seriously Oh, and interstates...
Why in the hell would you need a gated community in a rural area?

Get a Damn dog and a pump shotgun..... seriously

Oh, and interstates in this part of the country are not referred to as "the".... you would get on i-20, maybe "20" if you are talking to somebody that kind of knows where you are talking about.
Got a good (very protective) dog and plenty of guns. Heck, part of the appeal of Georgia is the freedom to legally own the guns I currently have.

With gated communities come certain headaches (HOA, etc) but they also come with a certain standard of living. We'd be renting for the first 2 years just to get our bearings. I gotta make the wife as comfortable as possible, she's earned it.

As for getting the lingo down, I think I am fucked either way.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/17/2017 8:47am
The long drive to everywhere sucks, Taylorsville ain't as country as most of the places you'll be looking and I got a 15 minute drive to the closest grocery store. A walmart....
If you're struggling to find a place I know 2 Realtors that work the area. Both are pretty new but I'd trust both of them. Heather was an assistant teacher? At my highschool, and she was pretty damn cool back then. She even helped me with writing into college. If I remember right she's a transplant from somewhere up north. For people living out here I think she'd most understand you desire for suburbia. https://m.facebook.com/kwcobia/?ref=content_filter

Angie Towe is the other but I can't find any links to her realty stuff. I'm thinking she quit? No links on her Facebook, and google isn't a help. But anyways she's lived around here her entire life. If Heather doesn't work for ya, I can message Angie and see if she's still doing it or not.
11/17/2017 9:02am
colintrax wrote:
It's bumfuck nowhere, near where I live. Highland Park and the almighty monster mountain would be within a "short" drive of you though. Within an hour...
It's bumfuck nowhere, near where I live. Highland Park and the almighty monster mountain would be within a "short" drive of you though. Within an hour I think. Some great mountain biking, caving, and kayaking in this area as well. Looking at about a 2 or 3 hour drive to get to atl, but with that said you're also in between Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Birmingham. So lots to see/do long as you can make the drive. I'm used to it, everyone out here is. I drive an hour to work. If you're from a big city though, you're gonna have a hard time.
Got a new sports place in Emerson Georgia, gonna be about 1~1.5 hour drive for you. The lake ain't much further either.

Short story, you're looking in the sticks. Gated communites, tennis, and gay clubs aren't around here. Farms, liquor stores, and motocross tracks is what you get.
Villa Rica is kinda metro Atlanta though, just be ready for the traffic that'll come with it (depending on the hours and direction you're going it may be non existant)
Great info. Monster Mountain looks AWESOME. And Highland Park would be a short drive from Villa Rica.

The wife and I got into tennis this past year. During her pregnancy we were playing 2.5 hours per day. It's been great for both our physical health and our relationship. It helped make the pregnancy a breeze. No drama at all. So I'd really like to keep that a part of our lifestyle. Thankfully there seems to be a decent tennis club in Villa Rica. Clay courts even, which is something Ive never played on.

Im not looking to live in Downtown Atlanta or within the belt. I got family in the Marieta area. That sorta living was what I was hoping to find headed towards the Alabama direction but it appears it will be a bit more rural than that. Even in Villa Rica?
JustMX
11/17/2017 9:03am
colintrax wrote:
The long drive to everywhere sucks, Taylorsville ain't as country as most of the places you'll be looking and I got a 15 minute drive to...
The long drive to everywhere sucks, Taylorsville ain't as country as most of the places you'll be looking and I got a 15 minute drive to the closest grocery store. A walmart....
If you're struggling to find a place I know 2 Realtors that work the area. Both are pretty new but I'd trust both of them. Heather was an assistant teacher? At my highschool, and she was pretty damn cool back then. She even helped me with writing into college. If I remember right she's a transplant from somewhere up north. For people living out here I think she'd most understand you desire for suburbia. https://m.facebook.com/kwcobia/?ref=content_filter

Angie Towe is the other but I can't find any links to her realty stuff. I'm thinking she quit? No links on her Facebook, and google isn't a help. But anyways she's lived around here her entire life. If Heather doesn't work for ya, I can message Angie and see if she's still doing it or not.
Considering the current environment in all thing sexual harrasment and how it might affect my future plans for Senate seats/movie stardom/studio ownership/plans for world domination I will hold back on what might be some other's first thought when reading about your realtor contacts.....

Screw it.....

Boobie pics?
CG118
11/17/2017 9:07am
Where are the offices? Which city?

Will you be able to work some from home?

Where are the relatives?

Do you want to live in a country club, or just be close?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/17/2017 9:25am
colintrax wrote:
The long drive to everywhere sucks, Taylorsville ain't as country as most of the places you'll be looking and I got a 15 minute drive to...

JustMX wrote:
Considering the current environment in all thing sexual harrasment and how it might affect my future plans for Senate seats/movie stardom/studio ownership/plans for world domination I...
Considering the current environment in all thing sexual harrasment and how it might affect my future plans for Senate seats/movie stardom/studio ownership/plans for world domination I will hold back on what might be some other's first thought when reading about your realtor contacts.....

Screw it.....

Boobie pics?
Lol nothing weird happened, she's just legitimately helpful.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
11/17/2017 9:35am
colintrax wrote:
It's bumfuck nowhere, near where I live. Highland Park and the almighty monster mountain would be within a "short" drive of you though. Within an hour...

Great info. Monster Mountain looks AWESOME. And Highland Park would be a short drive from Villa Rica. The wife and I got into tennis this past...
Great info. Monster Mountain looks AWESOME. And Highland Park would be a short drive from Villa Rica.

The wife and I got into tennis this past year. During her pregnancy we were playing 2.5 hours per day. It's been great for both our physical health and our relationship. It helped make the pregnancy a breeze. No drama at all. So I'd really like to keep that a part of our lifestyle. Thankfully there seems to be a decent tennis club in Villa Rica. Clay courts even, which is something Ive never played on.

Im not looking to live in Downtown Atlanta or within the belt. I got family in the Marieta area. That sorta living was what I was hoping to find headed towards the Alabama direction but it appears it will be a bit more rural than that. Even in Villa Rica?
Villa Rica is getting into metro atlanta, but I'd assume you're gonna have a real long drive to work. Maybe Dallas or Rome would work. I'm not totally sure though. Personally I'd stay the hell outta rome, it's a blackhole of nothing but poverty and hardship. My opinion anyways.
There is a country club out this way, they might have tennis. I just know they got the best hunting round here, but I don't hunt.
Like I said, give heather a call. I bet she can help you find the area you're looking for.
11/17/2017 10:03am
CG118 wrote:
Where are the offices? Which city? Will you be able to work some from home? Where are the relatives? Do you want to live in a...
Where are the offices? Which city?

Will you be able to work some from home?

Where are the relatives?

Do you want to live in a country club, or just be close?
Offices will be near Oxford.

Wont be able to work from home. Lots of hands on management of the staff will be required by me.

Relatives & close friends are in Marietta, GA

Dont have to live on a golf course. Just want to live within striking distance of a Whole Foods grocery store (or equivalent).

That's why Villa Rica is looking good:
- 30 miles from a Whole Foods
- 30 miles from family
- 40min drive to work
- 5 min drive to a tennis club
- 45min drive to Highland Motocross
- 30 miles to downtown Atlanta

I was considering the Gadsden area if I could find something on the water.

One thing I was definitely doing wrong was (a) only looking at rentals and (b) my budget was waaaay off.

The inventory of homes available for sale that fit our criteria are huge. I should be able to work out a lease to own situation for some of the nice homes that have been on the market for a minute. And how far $400k will go in this area is soooooo much further than where I live now. It's no wonder I couldnt find anything, I was way off on the budget.
11/17/2017 10:08am
colintrax wrote:
Villa Rica is getting into metro atlanta, but I'd assume you're gonna have a real long drive to work. Maybe Dallas or Rome would work. I'm...
Villa Rica is getting into metro atlanta, but I'd assume you're gonna have a real long drive to work. Maybe Dallas or Rome would work. I'm not totally sure though. Personally I'd stay the hell outta rome, it's a blackhole of nothing but poverty and hardship. My opinion anyways.
There is a country club out this way, they might have tennis. I just know they got the best hunting round here, but I don't hunt.
Like I said, give heather a call. I bet she can help you find the area you're looking for.
I'll definitely give Heather a call. I appreciate the help.

Im blown away at what $250k will buy in these areas. I totally mismanaged my Zillow search.
mx317
11/17/2017 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 12:20pm
Millcreek MX is not too far from you. I think Matt Shue has a new track close also.
CG118
11/17/2017 12:35pm
Villa Rica also puts you within a reasonable distance of:

MX----Mill Creek, Monster Mountain, Enck Cycle Performance (in Waco, GA), SEVMX (Vintage series with modern classes), Echeconnee.

Off Road----SORCS Racing series, SETRA Racing series, SECCA Racing (double moto format of mixed MX/woods), Kentuck ORV Park (near Oxford, AL), Kenda Full Gas Enduro series.
peelout
11/17/2017 12:50pm
yeah but could you buy a dealership if you wanted to?
11/17/2017 1:29pm
peelout wrote:
yeah but could you buy a dealership if you wanted to?
Only if i get 10% off MSRP. And no doc prep fee. And I get a free t-shirt.
CG118
11/17/2017 2:08pm
Mirror Lake Country Club to Oxford takes a little less than an hour. And people generally haul ass on I-20. So, your speed will vary from 65-90 mph. Hell, you could make it to work in 45 min.

CG118
11/17/2017 6:31pm
Info on speeds in GA.

Check out last paragraph. Interesting.

I-20 speed limit is 70 mph from I-285 to Alabama, as far as I know.
CG118
11/17/2017 6:31pm
Georgia
Rural Interstate Highways are posted at 70 mph (110 km/h). Until 2014, sections of Interstates passing through a municipality or metropolitan area with a population over fifty thousand were capped at 55–65 mph (89–105 km/h). However, a new law has permitted urban interstates to now be posted as high as 70 mph,[48] and some have already reflected this change, such as I-95 through Brunswick, I-85 in Gwinnett County, and I-75 in Macon, Valdosta, and Tifton. Most urban interstates, however, still remain at or below 65 mph. I-285 in the Atlanta area was recently increased from 55 mph (89 km/h) to 65 mph (105 km/h) (with Variable speed limits on the north portion. I-95 and I-16 through suburban Savannah (the 65 mph limit on I-95 is only for a 1.5 mile section in the vicinity of the I-16 interchange), I-16 from the interchange with I-75 in central Macon eastbound past Exit 2 is at 65 mph, and I-185 in Columbus remain at 65 mph, while the Downtown Connector and portions of I-20 in Atlanta are posted as low as 55 mph (89 km/h). Most non-interstate freeways such as SR 400 and the Athens perimeter highway, are posted at 55 to 65 mph.

Four lane arterials and expressways can be posted as high as 65 mph (105 km/h). However, Dillon's Rule enables counties outside municipalities to keep four-lane GRIP corridors at 55 mph (89 km/h). However, in recent years, US 1 between Augusta and Wrens raised the speed limit to 65 mph. Other rural four-lane highways with a 65 mph include portions of US 441 near Irwinton, US 25 between Augusta and Statesboro, SR 88 between Sandersville and Wrens, SR 16 between Griffin and I-75, much of US 341 between Brunswick and I-75, and much of US 82 in South Georgia.[citation needed]

Two lane state roads by default are posted at 55 mph (89 km/h). County maintained roads will rarely have speed limits above 50 mph (80 km/h) in middle & south Georgia, 45 mph (72 km/h) in north Georgia. Both in the Atlanta area, Ronald Reagan Parkway is posted at 50 mph (80 km/h) as a county maintained freeway and Sugarloaf Parkway is posted at 55 mph (89 km/h) along its new eastern freeway portion.[citation needed]

Inside the municipality, speed limits are generally posted at 35 mph (56 km/h) while it is 25–30 mph (40–48 km/h) in the downtown area.[citation needed]

All roadways maintained by GDOT that are subject to speed limit reductions are given advanced notice with signage that says "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD". Furthermore, GDOT has a policy of doing 5–10 mph (8.0–16.1 km/h) increments but never higher than 10 mph.[citation needed]

Georgia is one of few states with anti-speed trap laws passed in the late 1990s. Speed violations less than 15 mph (24 km/h) over the speed limit will have no points assessed.[49] Fines are not assessed for motorists going less than 10 mph (16 km/h) over the speed limit. In 2009, Georgia introduced the "Super Speeder" law, which adds an additional speeding fine of $200 for motorists convicted of traveling 75 mph (121 km/h) or more on a two-lane or undivided road and 85 mph (137 km/h) or more on a divided highway.[citation needed]

Post a reply to: Alabama / Georgia border

The Latest