Agree Or Disagree?

TDeath21
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 3:48pm
1. LINK

2. LINK

I was just wondering where everyone stood on these two issues. I personally agree with both, as long as number 2 is for sure guilty, and strongly agree with number 1.
|
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
11/3/2014 6:37pm
i agree with number 1, i have some reservations on number 2, not to sure the father has the right to be judge jury and executioner, but can understand his anger,

11/3/2014 6:41pm
scott_nz wrote:
i agree with number 1, i have some reservations on number 2, not to sure the father has the right to be judge jury and executioner...
i agree with number 1, i have some reservations on number 2, not to sure the father has the right to be judge jury and executioner, but can understand his anger,

This, on both accounts.
motosmith
11/3/2014 7:34pm
Suicide is a chicken-shit way out. Especially if you have kids.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
11/3/2014 8:12pm
Disagree on both counts. Understand the motivation, but I'd like to think I'd be able to see the bigger picture were I in either situation.

Who knows?

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
11/3/2014 8:26pm
motosmith wrote:
, with no hope of cure, and a painful slow death that takes away your dignity,

i would be chicken shit too,
11/4/2014 12:25am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2014 12:33am
Strongly agree with 1.

Life is worth living and fighting for, but not at ANY cost. There comes a point when it's just not worth while. And if the individual is of sound mind (or made the request previously when they were), then they should be allowed to end their life, or have it ended as painlessly as possible at a time of their choosing.

Disagree with 2.

As above, it's not the fathers place to be judge, jury and executioner. What if he got the wrong guy? I don't know the particulars of the case but in principle I'm mainly against it for that reason. Obviously it's a different story if you're defending yourself and your family in the moment. But even then torturing someone to death is going too far.
IWreckALot
11/4/2014 5:53am
Strongly agree with 1. Life is worth living and fighting for, but not at ANY cost. There comes a point when it's just not worth while...
Strongly agree with 1.

Life is worth living and fighting for, but not at ANY cost. There comes a point when it's just not worth while. And if the individual is of sound mind (or made the request previously when they were), then they should be allowed to end their life, or have it ended as painlessly as possible at a time of their choosing.

Disagree with 2.

As above, it's not the fathers place to be judge, jury and executioner. What if he got the wrong guy? I don't know the particulars of the case but in principle I'm mainly against it for that reason. Obviously it's a different story if you're defending yourself and your family in the moment. But even then torturing someone to death is going too far.
I've been struggling with number one for some reason. I've always told myself that as long as I have breath in me I'd rather live. But I also would want a DNR if I sustained some sort of injury that would render me a vegetable the rest of my life. I'm very thankful that I'm not in her position and I'm not one to judge. I agree that it's the individual's decision as long as they're mentally capable of understanding their decision.

As for number 2, there is a movie based on this premise called Law Abiding Citizen. The crime was similar but a little different. I hate that our judicial system isn't 100% accurate and even when they're accurate, the punishment rarely ever fits the crime. And if it were my daughter, I'd probably go pretty crazy myself.

My only question is what were the circumstances where the 45 year old man felt comfortable going to eat dinner with the girl's father? That's quite ballsy. . .
11/4/2014 6:42am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2014 6:43am
On the first one....Totally agree with her decision. Most of you here that dont agree have zero amount of a fucken clue what a person has to go through in a condition like hers. I personally watched my dad die of a terminal cancer and over the course of his last few months was by his side more often than not. My father was as strong and strong willed and stubborn as any one I ever knew. I got to witness him become only a shell of a man that he once was. One day in his last month alive... I will never forget the day he told me to NEVER ever let any kind of cancer kill me! He asked me to promise him that I would never go through that.

I wasnt exactly sure how to take that coming from him at the time but later that month it sank in deep and I sure understood it then! Watching the pain and utter anguish he was in was enough to convince me.
I think our whole family changed our view on assisted suicides after that!
In a situation like this.....I dont think any of you should have the right to tell someone what they are doing is wrong. You need to mind your own fucken business is what ya need to do!

As for the second one........The only difference is I would have kept him alive but done much much worse to him.
11/4/2014 8:29am
It's not about the length of your life, but the quality.
So I agree with number one.

The justice system is in place to prevent number two. If we start vigilantly justice, it won't end well.
CR250Rider
11/4/2014 9:46am
those are issues that look different from the outside than they do if it's happening to you.

From the outside I agree on both but could I kill someone? I highly doubt I could unless directly threatened and under fire.

The cancer issue I went through with my mom and she passed at 3am after a 5 years battle with cancer. I was there holding her hand but picking an exact time to die is pretty intense. I was just supportive to her wishes and the rest worked itself out.

Skippie
11/4/2014 9:59am
The way I look at number 2, as much as we can say that is why the justice system in place, when it's your daughter it is very different. He handed out some vigilante justice but then went to the police and turned himself in to receive the consequences for what he did. Can't really knock him for that.
APLMAN99
11/4/2014 2:26pm
Skippie wrote:
The way I look at number 2, as much as we can say that is why the justice system in place, when it's your daughter it...
The way I look at number 2, as much as we can say that is why the justice system in place, when it's your daughter it is very different. He handed out some vigilante justice but then went to the police and turned himself in to receive the consequences for what he did. Can't really knock him for that.
You can't knock him for that? What if the guy was innocent?
Sully
11/4/2014 4:53pm
I agree with number one 100% for reasons that have already been stated.

As for number two, the story is from India, and given the little I know about how India's legal system handles rape cases, this dad did alright.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
11/5/2014 8:12am
motosmith wrote:
That's a pretty narrow view you have there. Calling that suicide is like calling someone who kills another in self defense a murderer. I would agree with you under different circumstances however I don't think you have a grasp of the situation. Do you really think that someone should be loaded up with morphine for weeks or months just to mask the excruciating pain that most of the time they are not even conscious? In your eyes that's more noble? Or to drag it out to leave their loved ones in financial ruins for those extra few weeks or months that they have no control of their faculties so their loved ones have nothing to do but sit and watch and wipe their ass, try to keep their bed sores clean. Yep, that's a real "Chicken Shit"
Having gone through this on more than one occasion I may have a different perspective than you. And I sincerely hope you never have that experience.
Needless to say, this should definitely be an available option to some people.
TM
peelout
11/5/2014 8:38am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 8:47am
motosmith wrote:
we buried my grandmother of 85 yesterday... i can guarantee you she would have taken the same route as the poor girl in number 1. she's been dealing with severe dimentia the last 6 years and her health deteriorated to the point that she had zero control of her body or functions. she lived in a nursing home for 5 years at around 5k per month... it was extremely painful to visit her once a month and see her like that. it was actually somewhat of a relief that after all these years she finally let go and passed on.

i also buried my best friend 5 years ago to suicide, he left his wife and two daughters. i was with him almost every day for a few months and never saw it coming. hell, i was with him for about 4 hours the night he went home and did it. complete chicken shit way to handle his stresses, but i learned depression is a real thing.

i guess try to look at number 1 differently before calling it suicide.
scooter5002
11/5/2014 8:45am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2014 8:46am
Sorry for your loss, peely, remember you mentioning her, when I posted about my Mom dying. She went through the same thing, a 4 year slide into a drooling vegetable. She had said a few times, that she did not want to be around anymore, long before she died. Taking your life under those circumstances, is a long way from being "a chicken shit way out". After watching a family member or friend suffer through the indignity of an end like that, I think a lot of people might change their view on assisted suicide.
peelout
11/5/2014 8:48am
Sorry for your loss, peely, remember you mentioning her, when I posted about my Mom dying. She went through the same thing, a 4 year slide...
Sorry for your loss, peely, remember you mentioning her, when I posted about my Mom dying. She went through the same thing, a 4 year slide into a drooling vegetable. She had said a few times, that she did not want to be around anymore, long before she died. Taking your life under those circumstances, is a long way from being "a chicken shit way out". After watching a family member or friend suffer through the indignity of an end like that, I think a lot of people might change their view on assisted suicide.
much appreciated Scooter
motosmith
11/5/2014 9:22am
motosmith wrote:
peelout wrote:
we buried my grandmother of 85 yesterday... i can guarantee you she would have taken the same route as the poor girl in number 1. she's...
we buried my grandmother of 85 yesterday... i can guarantee you she would have taken the same route as the poor girl in number 1. she's been dealing with severe dimentia the last 6 years and her health deteriorated to the point that she had zero control of her body or functions. she lived in a nursing home for 5 years at around 5k per month... it was extremely painful to visit her once a month and see her like that. it was actually somewhat of a relief that after all these years she finally let go and passed on.

i also buried my best friend 5 years ago to suicide, he left his wife and two daughters. i was with him almost every day for a few months and never saw it coming. hell, i was with him for about 4 hours the night he went home and did it. complete chicken shit way to handle his stresses, but i learned depression is a real thing.

i guess try to look at number 1 differently before calling it suicide.
You make a good point. I guess I was thinking of it from a childs perspective. I think children want both parents around regardless of the circumstances.
RMT
11/5/2014 1:02pm
motosmith wrote:
You make a good point. I guess I was thinking of it from a childs perspective. I think children want both parents around regardless of the...
You make a good point. I guess I was thinking of it from a childs perspective. I think children want both parents around regardless of the circumstances.
Like the others, Ive been around one of these situations and its a million kinds of terrible. You second guess yourself and feel guilt at all times while its going on. You just want the pain to stop but know what you are wishing for. Children are resilient and I can say no child needs to see how my brother in law left this earth. He wasn't a parent the last year and to this day it haunts my nephews. Just looking at the before pictures of this beautiful girl and seeing her after months of fighting the cancer reminds me too much of my BIL. To be honest, we lost him almost a year before his heart stopped beating.

Ive also got two daughters and think the other guy let the rapist off easy. That doesn't make it right, but Im pretty sure I would lose my mind and get all kinds of medieval (think pulp fiction) on someone who hurt one of my girls.
Skippie
11/5/2014 3:48pm
motosmith wrote:
You make a good point. I guess I was thinking of it from a childs perspective. I think children want both parents around regardless of the...
I for one would not want to see my mother suffer for two years, lose all control of herself, not remember any of her loved ones or even have the presence of mind to know what is going on before she passes. Sometimes you just know that it's time and people should have that ability.

Post a reply to: Agree Or Disagree?

The Latest