5000/1

jamma10
5/2/2016 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 5:49pm
I know few of you guys care much about football (...soccer) but Leicester City have just pulled off one of the greatest ever sporting achievements and won the Premier League.

Their entire team cost less to put together than just one of Manchester City's midfield players, Kevin De Bruyne.

Last season they were almost relegated and only survived by the skin of their teeth, thanks to scraping enough points together from their last few games.

At the beginning of this season they were again favourites to be relegated and were 5000/1 to win the league.
|
hvaughn88
5/2/2016 2:20pm
I read a report that one bookmaker said those are the same odds as finding Elvis alive todayLaughing
jamma10
5/2/2016 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 2:51pm
At the beginning of the season I think most football fans would have said you'd have more chance of finding Elvis.

It really is one of most unlikely sporting victories of all time.

Time magazine wrote;

'Leicester City’s run over outlandishly wealthy super clubs like Man U, Manchester City, Chelsea, and Arsenal is not unlike, say, the Philadelphia 76ers finishing the 2014-2015 season 18-64, and then winning the NBA title this year (Philly was 10-72) Or a top minor league team winning a World Series. Would never happen. Could never happen.'

To top it off, Leicesters manager Claudio Ranieri used to manage Chelsea but was sacked in 2004 when the club was bought by a Russian billionaire who didn't think he was a title winner. Leicesters last game of the season is away to Chelsea, afterwhich Ranieri will be presented with the Premiership trophy!
motogeezer
5/2/2016 2:40pm
There was a match on TV at the pub while I was eating lunch just now (yes, it really is a pub).

It ended in a 2-2 tie, then they showed the championship celebrations.

I couldn't figure out how a tied game ended a championship...

Well, congrats to Leicester City, anyhow.
jamma10
5/2/2016 2:58pm
To have had any mathematical chance of beating Leicester to the title Tottenham (the team in the white) had to win their remaining three games of the season. But they threw away a 2-0 lead at Chelsea tonight meaning Leicester are the champions.

The Shop

motogeezer
5/2/2016 3:06pm
^^^That explains it, then.

Thanks.

To be honest, the only football I find worth watching is Aussie Rules.

Best sport without wheels, by far!
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/2/2016 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 3:45pm
You mean soccer? Football has players rhat wear helmets , pass the ball through the air., among other things.
motogeezer
5/2/2016 3:53pm
kzizok wrote:
You mean soccer? Football has players rhat wear helmets , pass the ball through the air., among other things.
Are you talking about those fat American guys who exert themselves for several seconds at a time?

wreckitrandy
5/2/2016 4:02pm
motogeezer wrote:
^^^That explains it, then.

Thanks.

To be honest, the only football I find worth watching is Aussie Rules.

Best sport without wheels, by far!
Agreed! Those are some rough dudes.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/2/2016 4:05pm
kzizok wrote:
motogeezer wrote:
Are you talking about those fat American guys who exert themselves for several seconds at a time?

Exactly.
Sunhouse
5/2/2016 4:11pm
kzizok wrote:
motogeezer wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Exactly.
That would be American Hand Egg. Football includes a ball and is played with your feet.
motogeezer
5/2/2016 4:17pm
This here is football, for those of you unfamiliar:

It's "Smear the Queer" with goal posts!
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/2/2016 4:28pm
motogeezer wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Exactly.
Sunhouse wrote:
That would be American Hand Egg. Football includes a ball and is played with your feet.
I was just joking!
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
5/2/2016 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 5:13pm
kzizok wrote:
I was just joking!
Sunhouse wrote:
No worries, so was I Smile
Touche! I still dont understand why we call it football in the US. The foot hardly even makes contact with the ball. It should be called runball or passball!
Old-Man
5/2/2016 8:12pm

Only forum that turns a positive post into an argument mostly by assumption

Ball -a - foot Mofo's!
Hut
5/2/2016 8:46pm
kzizok wrote:
motogeezer wrote:

Hut
5/2/2016 8:47pm
kzizok wrote:
motogeezer wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Exactly.

brlatm
5/2/2016 9:37pm
jamma10 wrote:
I know few of you guys care much about football (...soccer) but Leicester City have just pulled off one of the greatest ever sporting achievements and...
I know few of you guys care much about football (...soccer) but Leicester City have just pulled off one of the greatest ever sporting achievements and won the Premier League.

Their entire team cost less to put together than just one of Manchester City's midfield players, Kevin De Bruyne.

Last season they were almost relegated and only survived by the skin of their teeth, thanks to scraping enough points together from their last few games.

At the beginning of this season they were again favourites to be relegated and were 5000/1 to win the league.
My night shift and I watched the last match against Man U? Quite a few of my crew are from Algeria so they are all about the forward for Leicester, I personally don't know shit about soccer hell I'm 'Merican.

But it did seem pretty cool that a virtual nobody could win the whole thing though.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
5/3/2016 12:37am
motogeezer wrote:
This here is football, for those of you unfamiliar:

It's "Smear the Queer" with goal posts!
thats aussie rules, they had to make a game themselves because they got sick of losing to the All Blacks,
DownSouth
5/3/2016 8:27am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 8:30am
Right off the bat I will admit I know nothing about soccer/football.

But I did see a clip of this on the news where the Leicester team was watching another game on TV and then they started to celebrate once the game they watched ended in a tie.

How the heck can you be the champion if you did not win it on the field in a head to head game? What is the system they use to declare the champion?

It just seems bizarre to me that they had to sit back and watch the outcome of another game before they "won".
motogeezer
5/3/2016 9:31am
DownSouth wrote:
Right off the bat I will admit I know nothing about soccer/football. But I did see a clip of this on the news where the Leicester...

But I did see a clip of this on the news where the Leicester team was watching another game on TV and then they started to celebrate once the game they watched ended in a tie.

How the heck can you be the champion if you did not win it on the field in a head to head game? What is the system they use to declare the champion?

It just seems bizarre to me that they had to sit back and watch the outcome of another game before they "won".
I was confused, too.

jamma10 explained it above.

It's all in the math.

Or, "Maths" if you're a limey. Cool
5/3/2016 9:43am
DownSouth wrote:
Right off the bat I will admit I know nothing about soccer/football. But I did see a clip of this on the news where the Leicester...

Let explain

The season is 38 games long. 20 teams play each other twice one home, one away. A win is 3 points, a draw (tie) is 1 point. The team with the most points after 38 games is the champion the bottom three teams 20th 19th 18th place get relegated to the lower league and the top three lower league teams get promoted to the premiership. Leicester City barely got out of being relegated last season. This year they outperformed their competition the only top 4 team they didn't beat was Arsenal. They clinched last night because Twatenham had to win to stay mathematically alive. Its not like they backed in they have been top of the table (standings) for most of the year. The reason why its such a big story is this........

DownSouth
5/3/2016 9:48am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2016 9:57am
So is this English soccer league the only team sport where they do not determine the champion with a playoff system or do other leagues do the same?

Doesn't the olympics use a playoff?
scooter5002
5/3/2016 9:58am
Lot better odds, than ol' scooter ever winning a moto again. Or, even jumping a double.
5/3/2016 10:57am
DownSouth wrote:
So is this English soccer league the only team sport where they do not determine the champion with a playoff system or do other leagues do...
So is this English soccer league the only team sport where they do not determine the champion with a playoff system or do other leagues do the same?

No, most leagues around the world use the same system. Some lower leagues have a playoff to determine the last transfer spot. There are league knockout tournaments and outside tournaments like the Champions League that run concurrently with the league.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
5/3/2016 11:40am
DownSouth wrote:
So is this English soccer league the only team sport where they do not determine the champion with a playoff system or do other leagues do...

English Football also has a pure knock out competition every year called the FA Cup, all english teams can play in this, (its not just the 20 Premier Clubs)

the final is played in a couple of weeks with Manchester United, Vs Crystal Palace, it runs the same time as the premier league and takes teams for all leagues (Premier, Championship, and League one and League two which are the main ones, but it goes down to regional leagues after this,

and just to confuse you more, the top 4 teams from the Premier League plus the FA cup winner go into the European Champions League, played against the other top European Champions,

here are the list of leagues,

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/tables
5/3/2016 11:46am
and the winner of the Champions League plays the winner of Copa Libertadores, and winner of playoff between AFC Champions League Winner, CONCACAF CHampions League Winner, OFC Champions League Winner, CAF Champions League Winner, and the host nation league champion in the World Club Cup. Woohoo
Sidecar
5/3/2016 11:58am
I'm not into football at all..... However I have followed this story this season, back in August you would have got better odds at the bookies on...
The Loch Ness monster being proven or Elvis rocking up alive and well, it's pretty funny.
motogeezer
5/3/2016 12:52pm
Sidecar wrote:
I'm not into football at all..... However I have followed this story this season, back in August you would have got better odds at the bookies...
I'm not into football at all..... However I have followed this story this season, back in August you would have got better odds at the bookies on...
The Loch Ness monster being proven or Elvis rocking up alive and well, it's pretty funny.
I'll betcha a few hard core Leicester City fans wagered a few pounds on them.

Imagine if you had just dropped a fiver?

£25,000!
philG
5/3/2016 2:13pm
Leicester City is my hometown team , its been mental here the last few weeks, the fact that they have been so many points clear for so long is amazing , on a team built for buttons from has beens and never were's.

To add to that Jamie Vardy , a guy who came to Leicester from a non leauge team playing in the 7th tier of English football, scored in 11 consecutive games at the start of the campaign , which is what set them up for the run they had.

Last year , a win of 7 games from the last 9 took them from bottom , to finish out of the relegation zone, led by Nigel Pearson , who was then manager... on a pre season tour of Thailand Pearson's son was filmed using derogatory terms to describe a Thai hooker , (the team owners are Thai businessmen,) .. and he was forced to resign , which then saw them appoint Claudio Ranieri , who had previously been sacked by Chelsea , and more recently the Greek nation team . They were favourites for relegation, and Ranieri odds on to be the first managerial casualty of the season,

They have been superb all year , lost 3 games out of 38 , and deserve it thoroughly.

There will be a parade around the city, and i will be there , just to say i saw it.. its still hard to believe, the shame is , two good friends of mine who followed them from birth , passed this last year and never got to see this great day.

And i also know people who have been paid out already on good wagers..

Post a reply to: 5000/1

The Latest