40yr old experiment

4stroke4DWIN
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 10:31am
So, the wife and I were walking thru the supermarket last night and crossed in to no mans land (the organic) area which is quite big in our Frys. We got to looking around at stuff and thought "Lets do an experiment" So we decided starting today/tonight we would only purchase foods from the "organic" area for a month and see what happens lol. Neither one of us are fat/overweight but could be maybe a little leaner. I'm running around 6'2'' @ 211# and she is 5' something and prolly 118# I think. She's skinny.

Other than the obvious that we will be eating healthy meals ,any advantage to eating organic as far as energy, weight ect? I'm on day 2 without any soda or RED BULLS and crazy as it may seem I slept til 6am when normally I would wake up around 4:30 wide awake. I'll try and keep posting data on Wed and Sundays if anyone is interested in keeping up with our life lol.
|
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 11:18am
I'm all for organic. The only issue I have is "organic" has gotten to be pretty broad and capitalized on. I think it's still important to remember that just because something is organic, doesn't necessarily mean it's always a healthy choice.
71Fish
4/14/2015 11:21am
Organic food still has the same calories. Just fewer chemicals. There are some things that definitely taste better organic, apples and milk I prefer organic. It has always struck me as odd that organics have less crap, but cost so much more.
A. DLeary
4/14/2015 11:22am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 11:24am
I don't think you'll see much of a difference if you two already eat healthy, but you'll find you like certain "organic" products/veggies/meats more than you do the modified and vice-versa.

Edit: I'm interested in hearing about your experiment. Keep us updated.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 11:24am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm all for organic. The only issue I have is "organic" has gotten to be pretty broad and capitalized on. I think it's still important to...
I'm all for organic. The only issue I have is "organic" has gotten to be pretty broad and capitalized on. I think it's still important to remember that just because something is organic, doesn't necessarily mean it's always a healthy choice.
True. Luckily for us, we have a ton of farmers markets with locally grown produce but what we want to do is replace the stuff we normally buy with the organic version and note any changes along the way.

The Shop

IWreckALot
4/14/2015 11:29am
71Fish wrote:
Organic food still has the same calories. Just fewer chemicals. There are some things that definitely taste better organic, apples and milk I prefer organic. It...
Organic food still has the same calories. Just fewer chemicals. There are some things that definitely taste better organic, apples and milk I prefer organic. It has always struck me as odd that organics have less crap, but cost so much more.
My aunt and uncle have a chicken coup/run and I go get about 4 dozen eggs from them every couple of weeks. Fresh, naturally raised, free range chicken eggs are delicious.

When I go to the grocery store and buy chicken breasts, they are about the size of my arm anymore. Makes me wonder how much steroids they are actually pumping those chickens with. It's ridiculous the size they've gotten. It just can't be good for you.

I agree with Vaughn. The term "organic" seems a little loose. Here is a good read on what organic means though.

http://www.organic.org/home/faq

4Stroke4Darwin, your energy will likely drop off immediately then you'll start recovering as your body adjusts to the new diet. Don't let the first week or two discourage you too much.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 11:30am
A. DLeary wrote:
I don't think you'll see much of a difference if you two already eat healthy, but you'll find you like certain "organic" products/veggies/meats more than you...
I don't think you'll see much of a difference if you two already eat healthy, but you'll find you like certain "organic" products/veggies/meats more than you do the modified and vice-versa.

Edit: I'm interested in hearing about your experiment. Keep us updated.
Well we don't exactly eat healthy we both are blessed with good metabolism. My wife gets so pissed cuz I can eat/drink most any garbage and not gain any weight or cut back on the junk and I drop pounds pretty fast. @40 me and she is 39 it's time to start trying to maybe reverse some of the damage and live a little healthier.

I'm also the biggest skeptic around, I can read something and think "they are full of shit" until I do it myself and see what happens .
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 11:32am
I'm definitely interested in it too. My wife and I shop primarily in the organic section and are starting a garden too. Definitely notice a different in the cost, but I try to pay close attention to ingredients (or lack thereof) and try to feed our kids as clean as we can. On a side noted, I absolutely love the silk almond milk. I had to quit buying it because I could drink the whole carton in a day, haha
4/14/2015 11:34am
I found that I got sick a lot less often when I started eating all organic, I mean a lot less And the meat, such as chicken just tastes 100% better.
Some people think its all bullshit, but our non-organic food has so many pesticides and chemicals.
APLMAN99
4/14/2015 11:35am
71Fish wrote:
Organic food still has the same calories. Just fewer chemicals. There are some things that definitely taste better organic, apples and milk I prefer organic. It...
In my nearly 50 years of being in the heart of apple country, I've yet to detect a taste difference between organic and conventional apples. I've had plenty of great and horrible tasting of each, often bought on the same day from the same display and likely from the same box.

Harvest timing and storage conditions have the impact on taste.

4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 11:35am
IWreckALot wrote:
My aunt and uncle have a chicken coup/run and I go get about 4 dozen eggs from them every couple of weeks. Fresh, naturally raised, free...
My aunt and uncle have a chicken coup/run and I go get about 4 dozen eggs from them every couple of weeks. Fresh, naturally raised, free range chicken eggs are delicious.

When I go to the grocery store and buy chicken breasts, they are about the size of my arm anymore. Makes me wonder how much steroids they are actually pumping those chickens with. It's ridiculous the size they've gotten. It just can't be good for you.

I agree with Vaughn. The term "organic" seems a little loose. Here is a good read on what organic means though.

4Stroke4Darwin, your energy will likely drop off immediately then you'll start recovering as your body adjusts to the new diet. Don't let the first week or two discourage you too much.
Thanks for that link! I finally know why organic is more expensive but now my conspiracy OCD is wondering why they don't get federal subsidies?
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 11:43am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm definitely interested in it too. My wife and I shop primarily in the organic section and are starting a garden too. Definitely notice a different...
I'm definitely interested in it too. My wife and I shop primarily in the organic section and are starting a garden too. Definitely notice a different in the cost, but I try to pay close attention to ingredients (or lack thereof) and try to feed our kids as clean as we can. On a side noted, I absolutely love the silk almond milk. I had to quit buying it because I could drink the whole carton in a day, haha
Hats off to you! I've tried to drink Silk Almond Milk and just couldn't adjust to the taste or lack of, 2 things that I refuse to give up WHOLE MILK and CHEESE.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 11:49am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm definitely interested in it too. My wife and I shop primarily in the organic section and are starting a garden too. Definitely notice a different...
Hats off to you! I've tried to drink Silk Almond Milk and just couldn't adjust to the taste or lack of, 2 things that I refuse...
Hats off to you! I've tried to drink Silk Almond Milk and just couldn't adjust to the taste or lack of, 2 things that I refuse to give up WHOLE MILK and CHEESE.
I really like the vanilla. Just gotta keep it in check because the sugar content and sodium content is kinda high.
4/14/2015 12:25pm
71Fish wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
My aunt and uncle have a chicken coup/run and I go get about 4 dozen eggs from them every couple of weeks. Fresh, naturally raised, free...

I went to wal mart for the first time in a while and the sizes of their meat products freaked me out. I had been shopping at the local more expensive places for the last couple of years. Wal mart is super cheap but that meat is freaky.

71Fish
4/14/2015 12:41pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Hats off to you! I've tried to drink Silk Almond Milk and just couldn't adjust to the taste or lack of, 2 things that I refuse...
I can drink the vanilla in cereal, but I can't drink it alone.
IWreckALot
4/14/2015 12:56pm
I went to wal mart for the first time in a while and the sizes of their meat products freaked me out. I had been shopping...
I went to wal mart for the first time in a while and the sizes of their meat products freaked me out. I had been shopping at the local more expensive places for the last couple of years. Wal mart is super cheap but that meat is freaky.

This link explains a lot of the chemicals in chickens today.

http://abbycampbell.hubpages.com/hub/Hormones-in-Chicken#

4/14/2015 1:03pm
We've been doing this for years - with a caveat. We look for organic foods/produce, but don't break into DT's when we can't find them.

Certainly, consuming fewer chemicals and pesticides is good for your long-term health.

One problem with organics is that it has become "fashionable" now. Giant corporations have taken over many of the start-ups. I'm not sure what that means, but I am suspicious. For example, search up "Kashi" and see who owns them now..

Eating organic is secondary to me. In most cases, in my opinion, organic food and produce just tastes better. Surely you have noticed that a tomato from the supermarket tastes like...well...pretty much nothing. Try a home-grown tomato or an organic tomato, and taste the difference. That said, I prefer to purchase organic products because they are not GMO, and no chemicals are used in their growth and production. That is good for the planet.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 1:04pm
What do you guys like to drink other than water? Any flavored drinks that are decent for ya? Also whats the skinny on unrefined cain sugar?
4/14/2015 1:06pm
IWreckALot wrote:
This link explains a lot of the chemicals in chickens today. http://abbycampbell.hubpages.com/hub/Hormones-in-Chicken# [img]http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7925451_f520.jpg[/img]
This link explains a lot of the chemicals in chickens today.

http://abbycampbell.hubpages.com/hub/Hormones-in-Chicken#

Definitely one of the things I will only buy that must be free-range, no hormones, no salt-water injection, etc. Beef is harder, because it is so freaking expensive.

I urge you to try grass-fed beef though, it is so MUCH better tasting. Grass fed ground beef doesn't stink when you cook it either. Ever notice that stench when you're cooking ground beef? Not there with grass-fed.
4/14/2015 1:10pm
What do you guys like to drink other than water? Any flavored drinks that are decent for ya? Also whats the skinny on unrefined cain sugar?
Whiskey. Haha!

Seriously though, I'm a water guy. Years ago I bought us an Aqua Rain filter system. It looks like a big coffee urn. The upper part contains ceramic filters that just kick butt. Jacksonville's city water is brutal. I did a test with my pool test kit and there was so much chlorine in the water that the test colors on the high end of the scale (for pools) barely came close to what was in the test tube.

I do confess to drinking Strawberry/Watermelon Gatorade at the track, but just a small bottle along with plenty of water.
4/14/2015 1:14pm
Oh, and the sugar question, I don't really know the skinny, but I only buy "Florida Crystals" organic sugar. If nothing else, it is friendly to the planet. We don't eat a lot of sugar. I have a couple of cups of coffee every day. The first cup always contains a little sugar and organic half and half.
4stroke4DWIN
4/14/2015 1:20pm
Oh, and the sugar question, I don't really know the skinny, but I only buy "Florida Crystals" organic sugar. If nothing else, it is friendly to...
Oh, and the sugar question, I don't really know the skinny, but I only buy "Florida Crystals" organic sugar. If nothing else, it is friendly to the planet. We don't eat a lot of sugar. I have a couple of cups of coffee every day. The first cup always contains a little sugar and organic half and half.
Har!, I seen a bag of the Florida Crystals last night and told my wife look at this sugar it looks dirty lol.
hvaughn88
4/14/2015 1:26pm
I'm a water guy, too. I have a water jug and just fill up my water bottle all day (peeing constantly haha). I will admit, maybe due to being a "southerner," that I will drink about 1-2 glasses of sweet tea every week. I'm also a sucker for dark beer and probably drink more of those than I should.
4/14/2015 2:05pm
I drink a lot of beer....and decaf tea. Chai, black, and greet tea are all good. I guess the beer cancels out all the other healthy things I try to drink or eat.

I can't get my fiance to get off the diet soda but I guess I lead a pretty bland life drinking basically just almond milk, beer, tea and water.
JPT
4/14/2015 10:31pm
When you said 40 year old experiment I thought you meant my marriage. So far so good.
IWreckALot
4/15/2015 5:47am
Whiskey. Haha! Seriously though, I'm a water guy. Years ago I bought us an Aqua Rain filter system. It looks like a big coffee urn. The...
Whiskey. Haha!

Seriously though, I'm a water guy. Years ago I bought us an Aqua Rain filter system. It looks like a big coffee urn. The upper part contains ceramic filters that just kick butt. Jacksonville's city water is brutal. I did a test with my pool test kit and there was so much chlorine in the water that the test colors on the high end of the scale (for pools) barely came close to what was in the test tube.

I do confess to drinking Strawberry/Watermelon Gatorade at the track, but just a small bottle along with plenty of water.
I like water with lemon or lime, or unsweet tea with lemon or lime.

And coffee. . . But if you're trying to remain natural, coffee isn't the best idea. From what I understand, they chemical wash and use artificial flavors to cure and flavor the coffee bean. And I'm not talking about that fru fru latte shit you get at Starbucks. I'm talking about just straight black coffee.
XXVoid MainXX
4/15/2015 6:00am
I am actually just the opposite. I avoid the organic section and anything that is stamped organic. Smile
Sandberm
4/15/2015 7:00am
So...

When folks complain that Big business is getting in the organics market....what your really saying is that your eating organic food not so much for the health aspect but because you hate big business so to speak?

As far as liquids go. Anything with an artificial sweetner in it kills testosterone, which if you are over 40 is a big boner killer. Link Hops in beer, another testosterone killerAngry

Also, did anybody see the story about the guy who shut his kidneys down from drinking so much iced tea?DizzyLink. Oxalates, tea has it along with a spinach and almonds.Oxalate content Gives you kidney stones. Yikes
IWreckALot
4/15/2015 7:13am
Sandberm wrote:
So... When folks complain that Big business is getting in the organics market....what your really saying is that your eating organic food not so much for...
So...

When folks complain that Big business is getting in the organics market....what your really saying is that your eating organic food not so much for the health aspect but because you hate big business so to speak?

As far as liquids go. Anything with an artificial sweetner in it kills testosterone, which if you are over 40 is a big boner killer. Link Hops in beer, another testosterone killerAngry

Also, did anybody see the story about the guy who shut his kidneys down from drinking so much iced tea?DizzyLink. Oxalates, tea has it along with a spinach and almonds.Oxalate content Gives you kidney stones. Yikes
I think people are skeptical about big businesses actually going by the rules that organic people really want.

As for liquids, the moderation rule, like anything else, is key. Drink tons of water, and don't go crazy with the other liquids and you'll be good.

I have heard that drinking excessive tea will give you stones. My cousin in-law drinks tea exclusively. It's crazy how some people's bodies can cope with things better than others.
Cygnus
4/15/2015 7:18am
The only difference you will feel is your wallet getting much lighter.
Sandberm
4/15/2015 9:29am
Most anecdotal evidence I've heard from people on their taste preference is that they prefer the taste of corn fed beef to strictly grass fed beef. Ive heard this numerous times from people that the grass fed stuff tastes "gamey"

I think peoples exposure to pesticides in "regular" vegetables and its negative health effects is debatable.

However, I'm most concerned about any antibiotics that are being put in the animals I eat. I think thats are biggest health concern

Post a reply to: 40yr old experiment

The Latest