2017 Health Insurance Premiums

Titan1
Anyone else get their 2017 Health Insurance premium notifications yet?

I got my in the mail yesterday...my premium is going from $810/month, to $1178/month. What is that? A 40% increase? Holy Smokes! Since Obamacare was enacted, though 2017, my insurance premiums have more than doubled. Affordable care act?

My agent says that the insurance companies are hemorrhaging money...due to, as anyone with a brain expected, no pre-existing condition exclusions, and no lifetime caps...and because the young healthy people who were expected to sign up due to the mandate aren't signing up...so they have no choice but to raise premiums on the people that do pay.

|
10/14/2016 9:22am
Who cares about you. It's just the right thing to do for the people. you can pay more you greedy entitled Schmuck!
MR. X
10/14/2016 9:23am
0 dollars a month.
motogrady
10/14/2016 10:46am

Havnt got mine yet.
At 61, non smoker, no preconditions, Highmark, a better plan they say, $1,156 a month.
My employer pays half.
Was told last week, expect deductible to go from a grand to 5k.
They might be offering a secondary policy, to cover the deductible.Laughing

I got 3 years till I qualify for bc/bs.
Seriously thinking about just going naked, not renewing, watch it, and live clean till 65.
Judy pay the 675 penalty for the year.

Still think they should just expand the VA, and let those that need medical help, anyone, just go there.

The Shop

Titan1
10/14/2016 10:50am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 11:07am
I should add, that that is for me (36) my wife (33) and my four young kids, and includes Dental. Non-smokers, no pre-existing conditions...with a $1K deductible. Wife doesn't work...no employer coverage at all.

I have my agent looking into higher deductible plans...just to see how they would look.
Titan1
10/14/2016 10:51am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 10:55am
MR. X wrote:
0 dollars a month.
Because you aren't insured?...Moron...

Because your employer pays it all?...Good for you...

Or Because the government subsidy is paying for it?...You're welcome!
10/14/2016 10:55am
WTF how much do you guys make a month to be able to pay all that and bikes and mortgage and cars.

thats like a full month salary for me i cant imagine you guys earning the same as we do here
MR. X
10/14/2016 11:00am
MR. X wrote:
0 dollars a month.
Titan1 wrote:

Employer still covers it ...for now.
MR. X
10/14/2016 11:01am
Moens_Andy wrote:
WTF how much do you guys make a month to be able to pay all that and bikes and mortgage and cars. thats like a full...
WTF how much do you guys make a month to be able to pay all that and bikes and mortgage and cars.

thats like a full month salary for me i cant imagine you guys earning the same as we do here
I was also thinking that ,it seems there is huge swing in salary across the nation. I do well in my area but I feel it wouldn't equal squat in other parts of the country.
10/14/2016 11:06am
I'm living in Belgium so the other side of the world but my salary is nowhere near of what you guys make. It almost seems ridiculous the amount i make, i would be super poor if i would live there with the same salary i would not survive that would be impossible, i dont know for sure but all of you must be in a management or higher position or something with all the things you guys have
Titan1
10/14/2016 11:09am
MR. X wrote:
0 dollars a month.
Titan1 wrote:

MR. X wrote:
Employer still covers it ...for now.
Right on! Hopefully that doesn't change.
Titan1
10/14/2016 11:21am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 11:29am
Moens_Andy wrote:
I'm living in Belgium so the other side of the world but my salary is nowhere near of what you guys make. It almost seems ridiculous...
I'm living in Belgium so the other side of the world but my salary is nowhere near of what you guys make. It almost seems ridiculous the amount i make, i would be super poor if i would live there with the same salary i would not survive that would be impossible, i dont know for sure but all of you must be in a management or higher position or something with all the things you guys have
I'm quasi-self employed...I'm an employee of a company, but have my own overhead, employees, etc. etc. that I have to pay out of my own pocket.

Fortunate that my wife can stay home and raise my four kids...that I have a dirt bike in the garage, and time and money to ride and race it whenever I want, and to keep it running and looking good. It hasn't always been this way though...I've had to work my tail off to get to where I am now. I appreciate the opportunities that have been presented to me, and I'm glad I had the balls to take advantage of them.
reded
10/14/2016 11:22am
MR. X wrote:
I was also thinking that ,it seems there is huge swing in salary across the nation. I do well in my area but I feel it...
I was also thinking that ,it seems there is huge swing in salary across the nation. I do well in my area but I feel it wouldn't equal squat in other parts of the country.
Heard that. My wife and I barely crack $100k/yr which leaves us well above avg for where we live but it seems we'd be nearly poverty level in other areas.

Anyway, I pay $32/month with $1k deductible through my employer.
MR. X
10/14/2016 11:23am
Moens_Andy wrote:
I'm living in Belgium so the other side of the world but my salary is nowhere near of what you guys make. It almost seems ridiculous...
I'm a greasy dirtball in filthy coveralls.
Stuntman949
10/14/2016 12:02pm
25 year old non-smoker with no preexisting conditions. Anthem sent me a letter that said

"25% increase this year, higher deductible, also an EPO as opposed to a PPO now. Let us know whatcha wanna do!"

Stuntman949
10/14/2016 12:04pm
Basically, lap times continuously slow down as I cant afford to crash
10/14/2016 12:27pm
MR. X wrote:
I'm a greasy dirtball in filthy coveralls.
I'm a project manager in construction i tell the foremans what to do and i arrange subcontractors and negotiate everything with costumers, Subcontractors, architects etc... etc.... I do around 2 hours a day on my desk for mails and paper work ( wich i hate the most about the job ) and the other 8-10 hours r spent in the car traveling to the construction sites and on the sites itself, I only get paid 8 hours though. i go true around 3 sites per day
agn5009
10/14/2016 1:24pm
I'm at $68 per month for the family. $3,000 deductible but provided a $3,000 health savings account so I don't pay a penny toward the deductible. I'm pretty fortunate as most pay $300+ for shitty single coverage. We agreed to pay $300 toward the deductible starting in 2019, I can handle that.
whyZ
10/14/2016 1:30pm
motogrady wrote:
Havnt got mine yet. At 61, non smoker, no preconditions, Highmark, a better plan they say, $1,156 a month. My employer pays half. Was told last...

Havnt got mine yet.
At 61, non smoker, no preconditions, Highmark, a better plan they say, $1,156 a month.
My employer pays half.
Was told last week, expect deductible to go from a grand to 5k.
They might be offering a secondary policy, to cover the deductible.Laughing

I got 3 years till I qualify for bc/bs.
Seriously thinking about just going naked, not renewing, watch it, and live clean till 65.
Judy pay the 675 penalty for the year.

Still think they should just expand the VA, and let those that need medical help, anyone, just go there.
To add on to your expand the VA opinion, I've bounced around the thought that all medical school graduates should be required to do 3 months residency's at the VA. After that if they choose to stay, for up to a year, that their student loans are paid down to only 1/4 of what they came in with, regardless of the loan amount. Hopefully with he influx of medical workers, the pre-existing and medical cap patients could be brought in to the fold. With the insurance companies now relieved of long term patients, cost should go down. And the medical insurers will share in the subsidizing of the program. Probably to wild to work though, or maybe that's what they call social medicine.
Titan1
10/14/2016 1:44pm
agn5009 wrote:
I'm at $68 per month for the family. $3,000 deductible but provided a $3,000 health savings account so I don't pay a penny toward the deductible...
I'm at $68 per month for the family. $3,000 deductible but provided a $3,000 health savings account so I don't pay a penny toward the deductible. I'm pretty fortunate as most pay $300+ for shitty single coverage. We agreed to pay $300 toward the deductible starting in 2019, I can handle that.
Is that through your employer (where they pay a portion)? Or through the exchange with subsidies to cover your premium?
10/14/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 1:46pm
Mine went up this year. But they were sneaky about it. They told us...Great news! "You still pay $700 less than the national average!" But it went up. When I first started my job $730/year. Now its $3000. With less benefits/coverage and higher copays. Next month after I'm married it's going to jump to $4900. From 730/year to 4900/year in 6 years. This healthcare govt thing is really awesome!
10/14/2016 2:50pm
reded wrote:
Heard that. My wife and I barely crack $100k/yr which leaves us well above avg for where we live but it seems we'd be nearly poverty...
Heard that. My wife and I barely crack $100k/yr which leaves us well above avg for where we live but it seems we'd be nearly poverty level in other areas.

Anyway, I pay $32/month with $1k deductible through my employer.
100K/year that sounds good to be honnest, me and the misses both work full time and we barely make 35K/year combined
10/14/2016 2:52pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm quasi-self employed...I'm an employee of a company, but have my own overhead, employees, etc. etc. that I have to pay out of my own pocket...
I'm quasi-self employed...I'm an employee of a company, but have my own overhead, employees, etc. etc. that I have to pay out of my own pocket.

Fortunate that my wife can stay home and raise my four kids...that I have a dirt bike in the garage, and time and money to ride and race it whenever I want, and to keep it running and looking good. It hasn't always been this way though...I've had to work my tail off to get to where I am now. I appreciate the opportunities that have been presented to me, and I'm glad I had the balls to take advantage of them.
That would be ideal for me also since we got 3 kids it would be great if the misses was able to stay at home.

Must be nice to do what you do
10/14/2016 2:55pm
I just recently switched from full time to a contract position and now I pay about $200 per month for pretty good coverage. If I added my wife though it would bump up to $600, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
10/14/2016 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 3:09pm
I am currently at $202/mo. to cover myself and son with health and dental through my work's plan. My wife has coverage through her work thankfully. I haven't heard yet about our 2017 rates though. I can only imagine it will go up since nothing ever goes down.
10/14/2016 3:14pm
I dont know if these things work the same there, but if we pay a year upfront instead of monthly we get a reasonable discount 10-15% this counts for all insurances car, homes, health, bike etc. etc....
Titan1
10/14/2016 3:57pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
I dont know if these things work the same there, but if we pay a year upfront instead of monthly we get a reasonable discount 10-15%...
I dont know if these things work the same there, but if we pay a year upfront instead of monthly we get a reasonable discount 10-15% this counts for all insurances car, homes, health, bike etc. etc....
That's how it works for my home, auto, bikes, etc...and that's how I do it on those...I've never been given an option to pay my health insurance annually...but if its an option...rather than pay $1178/month...I'd gladly pay the $13K upfront annually just to save the $1400 a year. I'm going to ask my agent about that.
10/14/2016 4:07pm
It's always worth the shot if you don't ask the question you will never know. And if its possible to save on something like that it would be silly not to pay upfront. You need the fundings to pay upfront off course and you'l still need to save every month for the next year but it could help a little
10/14/2016 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2016 4:15pm
the price rase on your insurance is very high though almost 400 a month more than previous years, i would try to get some other quotes as well and play them out to each other.

Ive just done that for my fire and theft home insurance and i went from 1900 to 1600/ year just by setting them up to each other and i have better coverage now than i did before.
Something that also works around here is combo packages 1 insurance company for al my insurances cars home health etc etc

They all need to make money so a paying costumer thats willing to pay upfront is worth a lot because you r a low risk insurance.
JRT812
10/14/2016 5:32pm
I know a few people that have bought lots in low income areas and do nothing with it other than to make it their prime residence and get the 'good' insurance. I also know some people who decide to go uninsured and take the penalty buy have money. They always work out deal with hospital. The hospital I used to work at would give 86% uninsured discount rate and then offer an additional 20% off if you would pay the total in full at the time of service.

Post a reply to: 2017 Health Insurance Premiums

The Latest