1988 honda hurricane newb question

mx466
Edited Date/Time 3/31/2014 5:15pm
Ok so I have an 88 honda hurricane 600 that I've been working on. It's sat in the garage for a good 10 years and I finally got it to fire up a few days ago. Problem is the brakes are frozen. So my newb question is what should I use for a stand so I can take the rear wheel off to work on the brake. The exhaust runs right under the bike so I don't want to use a normal dirt bike stand for fear of crushing the exhaust. I have absolutely zero experience with sport bikes like this so any advice on what to se as a stand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
|
indy_maico
3/31/2014 10:04am
mx466 wrote:
Ok so I have an 88 honda hurricane 600 that I've been working on. It's sat in the garage for a good 10 years and I...
Ok so I have an 88 honda hurricane 600 that I've been working on. It's sat in the garage for a good 10 years and I finally got it to fire up a few days ago. Problem is the brakes are frozen. So my newb question is what should I use for a stand so I can take the rear wheel off to work on the brake. The exhaust runs right under the bike so I don't want to use a normal dirt bike stand for fear of crushing the exhaust. I have absolutely zero experience with sport bikes like this so any advice on what to se as a stand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
There are stands made that fit under the swingarm to lift the rear wheel off the ground.

You can get a cheapie from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-swingarm-rear-stand-65620.html

Or go to a dealership for something nicer and more $$$
mx466
3/31/2014 1:09pm
Thanks for the advice on the stand, defiantly going to look into one of those. My next question is... The bike will start right up when I spray a little starter fluid in each carb and ran ok. Now I try to start it without starter fluid and it will turn over fine but will not start. The carbs are getting fuel I loosened the overflow screw on the bowl and gas came out. I have already cleaned the carbs. Maybe I missed a little bit of junk in one of the jets? I don't know. Any ideas?
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
3/31/2014 1:14pm
How old is the battery? Pretty common for a bike to have the juice to spin, but not enough to create the spark necessary to light it off.
H
mx466
3/31/2014 2:09pm
The battery is defiantly pretty old. I had hooked up my jump pack thing up to it and it turned over first try. Maybe it was only enough spark to set off the starter fluid but not the gas? Idk

The Shop

3/31/2014 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2014 4:00pm
Fuel to the carbs, good. Sounds like the pilot circuit is still dirty. Did you take the complete rack of carbs off the bike and thoroughly clean them ? Even though the jets are clear , the circuits in the carbs may still be plugged. Ultrasonic cleaning is nice, but an hour in a tub of Pinesol will loosen up the buildup inside. Rinse well with water, then aerosol carb or brake cleaner. Stick the straw of the aerosol in every passage of the carbs and give the can a good blast to verify they are clean. Blow them out lightly with a rubber tipped nozzle on your air hose. Watch your eyes, use some safety glasses.

Then comes the task of synching the 4 carbs. Going to need a set of carb stix or similar, then possibly a probe with an exhaust gas analyzer to get it purring nicely.

If it lit on starting fluid it's getting enough fire to light on gas, provided the fuel can be properly drawn through the circuits of the carbs. (CLEAN)

By the way, if you use Pinesol, make sure to use some rubber dish washing gloves, or your hands will be peeling layers of skin for a week.
mx466
3/31/2014 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2014 5:16pm
considering that this is what one of the bowls looked like when I took the carbs apart I'd say I defiantly could have missed something. Thanks for the advice guys.

Post a reply to: 1988 honda hurricane newb question

The Latest