1961 Rambler Ambassador

newmann
A local historic house/museum had us refinish one of the family's old cars that is in the carriage house. Years of sitting in the non climate controlled room had deteriorated the finish along with a few "whiskey dents" and one horse kick. While it is a bit of an odd duck, the unibody design along with simple assembly of everything on the entire car made it a breeze to disassemble/reassemble. Pretty high end car for the day with automatic and air.

De-trimmed for soda blasting.

Amazing what lurks beneath the surface. Old repairs with body filler and lacquer type primers and paint. Porous enough to allow plenty of moisture through over the decades.

The soda blaster (100 miles away by wrecker) was supposed to tape over all panel seams as this was supposed to be an exterior only refinish for display purposes only. Lucky me, they failed to tape the seams, tarp the interior and engine bay and proceeded to fill everything with soda and blew paint off up into all the jambs. A bit of drama took place and they didn't charge me for the blasting. I was still screwed as I had to remove the hood, trunk and doors and refinish all the jambs. Not something agreed upon in the bid. I still ended up on the bad end of the deal but not by much.

After a good cleaning and some acid washing it got treated to some epoxy primer.

A few repairs, fresh paint, wide whites and some polishing and detailing of the chrome trim with paint fill on hub caps and emblems made for a pretty sweet looking old ride. Unfortunately there were no plans to do any mechanical repairs and make it drivable. Sure would look good parked out front when they have events there.

No wet sanding , buffing and polishing show car detailing, just a straightforward refinish. Turned out nice, perfect for their garage display.

Even had the local dealer sticker replicated.

Where it calls home.

Carriage house
|
JRT812
2/24/2017 11:44am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2017 11:45am
Love stuff like this! She looked to be in fairly decent shape and really looks sharp after you work. I am planning to start the work on my grandfathers truck this year that he left me after he past away last summer. This is a new process for me. When you get a quote from a body shop to do similar work in your post, can they know how much it will cost before actually tearing it down?
newmann
2/24/2017 12:19pm
JRT812 wrote:
Love stuff like this! She looked to be in fairly decent shape and really looks sharp after you work. I am planning to start the work...
Love stuff like this! She looked to be in fairly decent shape and really looks sharp after you work. I am planning to start the work on my grandfathers truck this year that he left me after he past away last summer. This is a new process for me. When you get a quote from a body shop to do similar work in your post, can they know how much it will cost before actually tearing it down?
Depending on what you are starting with and where you want to end up, it usually requires a pretty good bit of teardown and in many cases stripping of the paint to determine what lies beneath. Old rusted bolts and hardware that falls apart, rotten inner flanges and floor pans, inner cowl panels that can't be seen and many other areas of concern that aren't readily visible. The old car above was in really great condition for this humid part of Texas but even then it really went beyond the scope of work we normally do here. All of our collision repairs are on such a strict time crunch that even trying to fit a fairly simple strip and refinish like that in screws up everything. Everyone in the shop starts frowning when I drag something old in, total moral killer...lol.
JPT
2/24/2017 1:05pm
Didn't the Rambler seats lay back?
GIwasB4
2/24/2017 3:16pm
newmann wrote:
Depending on what you are starting with and where you want to end up, it usually requires a pretty good bit of teardown and in many...
Depending on what you are starting with and where you want to end up, it usually requires a pretty good bit of teardown and in many cases stripping of the paint to determine what lies beneath. Old rusted bolts and hardware that falls apart, rotten inner flanges and floor pans, inner cowl panels that can't be seen and many other areas of concern that aren't readily visible. The old car above was in really great condition for this humid part of Texas but even then it really went beyond the scope of work we normally do here. All of our collision repairs are on such a strict time crunch that even trying to fit a fairly simple strip and refinish like that in screws up everything. Everyone in the shop starts frowning when I drag something old in, total moral killer...lol.
Sweet ride in 66!
You have palms in Texas? Why is it so green? I thought Texas was this.

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
2/24/2017 3:33pm
Outstanding resto! And, a very cool car.
Dude in HB has one with surf racks. Laughing
KMC440
2/24/2017 3:42pm
Such an eclectic car. Old g-friend ended up with a '64ish Rambler sedan for a while. 3-on-the-tree with a straight 6 ... you'd be surprised how much torque that little car had. And fun, seriously fun to drive! Damn thing purred like a kitten too.

Nice job there Newmann !
JW381
2/24/2017 3:46pm
Cool! I love old stuff.
MR. X
2/24/2017 3:48pm
Nice work dude ! I wouldn't mind seeing more work you do daily ,collision work and such. Eventually ,myself and my little guy will be looking for a 50s project truck and body work is where I am lost.
G-man
2/24/2017 4:20pm
Very nice work.....

You should start your own reality TV show! Woohoo
Sully
2/24/2017 4:43pm
I've seen plenty of Rambler station wagons before, but I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a sedan. Definitely cool stuff.
JAFO92
2/24/2017 7:23pm
Im tellin' you guys, Newmann is an artisan with that stuff. There just arent many folks in that biz that are perfectionist and OCD like he is. (Im OCD too so I can relate to his curse) Most paint shops are 'rush-it-thru-to-get-that-big-insurance-money' places. Joe aint like that at all,,, he's all about doing it perfect.

Post a reply to: 1961 Rambler Ambassador

The Latest