Tight budget- young

mmadd351
Hey vital,

I just joined on here and I already have a question to ask you. I'm young and absolutely love the sport of motocross. I have been riding for maybe 7 years now. I have a KX100 and am selling it to move up to big bikes. My parent's are making me pay for it, though. So, I need to figure out what kind of bike I'm going to buy for just a few months. I have a $1900 budget. I need the bike to last me about 4 months, then I can take out a loan and buy a new bike. But for right now, I need to just get on the track ASAP. I have seen old KX250 2strokes, as well as old 250f's. I plan on investing in a 2013 or newer YZ or KX 250f when I am able to get the loan. So what bike should I buy to last me these four months? Should I go with the 2 smoker, and then transition to the 4 stroke before the racing season? Or, should I get maybe a 2004 250f and then buy a newer 250f when I am ready. I appreciate it guys, thanks.
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
8/7/2016 11:07pm
A loan is a terrible idea if you're so young you're just coming off a supermini. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT get a loan. I'm suprised your parents are even gonna let you.

You're not racing to make a living, so get an older 2 stroke and hang onto that until you graduate high school or somehow come into a lot of money. Any brand 125 2000 or newer will be just fine. However it's advisable to skip on the Honda because it's slow. The Yamaha is usually considered the best 125 as far as old bikes go.
mmadd351
8/8/2016 8:59am
colintrax wrote:
A loan is a terrible idea if you're so young you're just coming off a supermini. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT get a loan...
A loan is a terrible idea if you're so young you're just coming off a supermini. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT get a loan. I'm suprised your parents are even gonna let you.

You're not racing to make a living, so get an older 2 stroke and hang onto that until you graduate high school or somehow come into a lot of money. Any brand 125 2000 or newer will be just fine. However it's advisable to skip on the Honda because it's slow. The Yamaha is usually considered the best 125 as far as old bikes go.
Well I am able to get a loan of 3000 from the bank and pay 90 a month. I am able to do it with a good interest rate because my family has been with the bank for so long. But I do plan on racing when I get the bike that I am taking the loan out on. The buy that I buy now is just to keep me on the track so I don't have to be rideless for another 4 months.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
8/8/2016 6:16pm
mmadd351 wrote:
Well I am able to get a loan of 3000 from the bank and pay 90 a month. I am able to do it with a...
Well I am able to get a loan of 3000 from the bank and pay 90 a month. I am able to do it with a good interest rate because my family has been with the bank for so long. But I do plan on racing when I get the bike that I am taking the loan out on. The buy that I buy now is just to keep me on the track so I don't have to be rideless for another 4 months.
If you go that route, make sure you are not late on your payments ever and try to pay it off quick. Financing a bike will be good to build some credit for down the road in life.

If you can find a deal on a 125 two stroke of your choice and ride it.

If you jump on a 250f like so many do, they can make you lazy so a 125 is your best bet.

The Shop

mmadd351
8/9/2016 10:22am
How old are you? Height and weight? I'd get a 125 2 stroke for $1,500 and use the other $400 to fix it and ride I...
How old are you? Height and weight?

I'd get a 125 2 stroke for $1,500 and use the other $400 to fix it and ride

I know Colorado is a big state, but he's some ideas within your budget.
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5719982153.html
https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5652344918.html
16, 5'11", 165. I was looking into two strokes but my dad and I feel that it is a better decision to ride on a four stroke so that I am used to the way it handles for when I buy the newer bike. That 125 is a good deal though I can admit that! We might end up buying something like a 2005 KX250f just for me to ride on, then sell it and get a newer 250f. Still debating whether or not to go Yamaha or Kawasaki either.
mmadd351
8/9/2016 10:23am
mmadd351 wrote:
Well I am able to get a loan of 3000 from the bank and pay 90 a month. I am able to do it with a...
imoto34 wrote:
If you go that route, make sure you are not late on your payments ever and try to pay it off quick. Financing a bike will...
If you go that route, make sure you are not late on your payments ever and try to pay it off quick. Financing a bike will be good to build some credit for down the road in life.

If you can find a deal on a 125 two stroke of your choice and ride it.

If you jump on a 250f like so many do, they can make you lazy so a 125 is your best bet.

I see what you're saying here. My dad will so-sign with me on the loan.
8/9/2016 11:48am
Buy a 125 and ride the shit out of it for atleast a year or two.
If you can't afford to buy new then don't buy four stroke. It would be horrendous at 16 to be paying off a loan on a blown up 250f.
A 125 is cheaper to rebuild when you blow it up (always expect a used bike to blow up and if it doesn't then that's a bonus), it will also help you to improve as a rider and then in a year or two when you've got a full time job and can afford it then I'd go for a new bike and you'll be a lot better at riding it through spending that time on a 125.

Post a reply to: Tight budget- young

The Latest