kevkx125
2/23/2014 6:09pm
Practice, practice, practice
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
3/3/2014 4:38am
Try a "friction zone" exercise.

By that I mean put the bike in gear, and practice getting your left hand used to releasing the clutch lever just to the point where it starts to engage, then pull it back in. You don't ever move forward, just practice finding the engagement point. Do this without looking at the lever. Keep your eyes forward and "feel" what the lever and bike is doing.

After you've done that enough to be able to get the lever just to that point, then start practicing engaging the clutch, (letting the lever out the rest of the way), VERY slowly- until the lever is all the way out. Feed in some throttle as necessary to keep from stalling, but remember, you control what the bike is doing with the clutch. If you get in trouble, just pull it in and start over. Walk with the bike and don't put your feet up until the lever is all the way out and you're in control.

I teach dozens of people to ride every year, and the most common mistake new riders make with the clutch is geting to the engagement point, then releasing the lever faster than they realize. Slow and steady all the way out.
markit
3/18/2014 6:35am
As above just takes time and practice.
Dr Wario
4/1/2014 3:24pm
Hman144 wrote:
Try a "friction zone" exercise. By that I mean put the bike in gear, and practice getting your left hand used to releasing the clutch lever...
Try a "friction zone" exercise.

By that I mean put the bike in gear, and practice getting your left hand used to releasing the clutch lever just to the point where it starts to engage, then pull it back in. You don't ever move forward, just practice finding the engagement point. Do this without looking at the lever. Keep your eyes forward and "feel" what the lever and bike is doing.

After you've done that enough to be able to get the lever just to that point, then start practicing engaging the clutch, (letting the lever out the rest of the way), VERY slowly- until the lever is all the way out. Feed in some throttle as necessary to keep from stalling, but remember, you control what the bike is doing with the clutch. If you get in trouble, just pull it in and start over. Walk with the bike and don't put your feet up until the lever is all the way out and you're in control.

I teach dozens of people to ride every year, and the most common mistake new riders make with the clutch is geting to the engagement point, then releasing the lever faster than they realize. Slow and steady all the way out.
Great advice. Will definitely use this to help others

Post a reply to: Throttle and Clutch control advice

The Latest