The next step up!!? For 3 1/2 year

Edited Date/Time 6/1/2016 6:40am
What are peoples recommendations and opinions.. My little boy can ride his peddle bike without stabilisers, absolutely loves his oset trials bike on top speed, breaks, starts, stops, stands up over the bumper ground. Today hes got a pw50 can reach the floor but not a full foot on the ground. Were going to get him to the practice tracks now hes ready, My question is... After one day hes already wanting it faster, for christmas.. What is the best next bike?! Reliability, not money wasters, speed, all round good bike to start the real tracks. (Turns 4 in september) unsure of racing ages aswell. New to the circit Smile
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/22/2016 10:52pm
A fast 50 is money no matter what. If you wanna stay cheap you're gonna have to tell your kid to stay slow and on the PW
5/23/2016 1:20am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2016 2:16pm
Racing isn't a cheap sport. my sons never had cheap, I am after nice advice an help not cocky rude comments Thankyou. Why would I want to burst my sons dreams by telling him to stay slow. I don't see how that advice will help him move up into racing or progress or help him or me in anyway?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/23/2016 2:40am
Racing isn't a cheap sport. my sons never had cheap, I am after nice advice an help not cocky rude comments Thankyou. Why would I want...
Racing isn't a cheap sport. my sons never had cheap, I am after nice advice an help not cocky rude comments Thankyou. Why would I want to burst my sons dreams by telling him to stay slow. I don't see how that advice will help him move up into racing or progress or help him or me in anyway?
I don't see that as particularly rude. You asked for advice and he offered some.

If he's struggling to touch the ground on a PW, you may need to wait for him to grow a bit for a faster (longer suspension travel) bike.
5/23/2016 5:51am
I never once mentioned I wanted to stay cheap if that was the case if I'd stay away from mx all together. I thought he was extremely rude assuming I'm cheap.

I tried to give a good view of my sons backround, age and ability to avoid silly question or nasty, rude comments and give people a good idea of how he rides and how capable he is.

I want my son to race and have a good shot at winning not get lapped on a slow pw but the "fast 50s"

Thanks

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/23/2016 9:10am
What are peoples recommendations and opinions.. My little boy can ride his peddle bike without stabilisers, absolutely loves his oset trials bike on top speed, breaks...
What are peoples recommendations and opinions.. My little boy can ride his peddle bike without stabilisers, absolutely loves his oset trials bike on top speed, breaks, starts, stops, stands up over the bumper ground. Today hes got a pw50 can reach the floor but not a full foot on the ground. Were going to get him to the practice tracks now hes ready, My question is... After one day hes already wanting it faster, for christmas.. What is the best next bike?! Reliability, not money wasters, speed, all round good bike to start the real tracks. (Turns 4 in september) unsure of racing ages aswell. New to the circit Smile
"Reliability, not money wasters" sounds like cheap to me.

Btw most tracks/series have a shaft drive class so the PW riders can be competitive.

Sure hope you don't have such a short temper with your kid.
5/23/2016 2:12pm
I'm not short tempered. Just thought you assuming I mean cheap was rude was all, I'm looking for help and advice on the next step into practice tracks/racing as he can't start till he's six in the uk, a club I was told about do race 5yr olds but it over 5hrs away from us. I dint appriciate being told to tell my son to stay slow on the pw. I want to encourage him, not cut him off before he's even started. I'm fully aware the bike not being cheap its self is the cheapest thing, maintenance, entry fees, extra cost ect through out the years will most centainly not be cheap as I said before if I was cheap I'd stay away from mx altogether. For example I've been told about Cobras, an the ktm mini adventure, ktm parts I can get anywhere any day Cobras need ordering in.. Ktm have full kits to match, kims they can stick to all threw peewee jr & sr, Sort of those type of things I'm looking for.. Obviously this forum is the wrong one for me lol not helping like the others I've posted the same question on
Hallzilla
5/24/2016 12:45pm
Im not .....

I never .....

I didn't .....

Huh, sounds like you are to me.

5/24/2016 4:14pm
When he breaks the frame on the PW for the first time, it's time to move on to a better bike. But in competitive 50 racing, no matter which brand you buy, be prepared to work on the bike, much, much more than the PW.
KTM ,Cobra's , both, will either make a good mechanic out of you, or make you wish you'd never bought one.

Most serious 50 racers have two bikes on hand.
JWACK
5/25/2016 2:21pm
Find an older mr 50. Great step up

WVUpetro2013
6/1/2016 6:40am
Just my 2cents. Like project racer said, leave him on the pw until he has mastered it. The limited power will teach him to carry speed and make him a better rider. From personal experience, I was put on a too race ready bike at young age before I could develop proper technique. All it did is lead to a lot of crashes and created bad habits. But like I said to each their own.
YoItsYamaha
6/6/2016 11:25pm
Yeah I would say let him get some more experience and size, then move him up.
JB 19
6/7/2016 3:58am
What are peoples recommendations and opinions.. My little boy can ride his peddle bike without stabilisers, absolutely loves his oset trials bike on top speed, breaks...
If the kid is not yet 4 years old I'd say you need to pump the brakes a little and just let him ride. You say he wants the bike to be faster.....Is this riding in a flat field? A track may be a different story.

If he is almost too small for a pw I wouldn't put him on a bigger and much faster bike like a KTM or Cobra. Both of those are about 10 times faster than the pw. You may get him hurt. Ktmtalk.com has a forum for 50's if you want to speak with more specific people about 50 cc racing.
JBlain619
6/7/2016 8:16am Edited Date/Time 6/7/2016 8:16am
JB 19 wrote:
If the kid is not yet 4 years old I'd say you need to pump the brakes a little and just let him ride. You say...
If the kid is not yet 4 years old I'd say you need to pump the brakes a little and just let him ride. You say he wants the bike to be faster.....Is this riding in a flat field? A track may be a different story.

If he is almost too small for a pw I wouldn't put him on a bigger and much faster bike like a KTM or Cobra. Both of those are about 10 times faster than the pw. You may get him hurt. Ktmtalk.com has a forum for 50's if you want to speak with more specific people about 50 cc racing.
This is great advice. First and foremost you don't want to sacrifice technique for speed. At his age, you need to concentrate on 3 things: Technique, Technique, and Technique. Bike skills are way more important on the long run then just having big balls and going fast. It will help to keep Junior safer and a better overall rider in the long run.

Good luck and as Gary Bailey says, "Sometimes you have to slow down to get faster!"
6/8/2016 2:10am
Much better feed back thank you all a lot, I've decided to go with the mini adventure for Christmas, keeping his pw aswell so we can take both bikes out to play on, in the mean time he's been having lessons at the tracks for his technique, skill And speed all round Thankyou also JB19 will pop onto the ktm forum and have a read up on there. Please men don't think I want to push my boy before his time, he's is truely talented an loves what he does without any push from us Smile
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/10/2016 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 12:42am
duplicate
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/11/2016 12:36am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 1:14am
"Obviously this forum is the wrong one for me lol not helping like the others I've posted the same question on".

So you posted on different forums, each with different posters etc. In other words, a lot of different variables in play.

So many variables makes it almost impossible to determine why you got similar responses from other forums. At that point, a prudent person would start entertaining the idea of looking for a constant that would better explain why many attempts were no help. You are that constant.

"Why would I want to burst my sons dreams by telling him to stay slow". Kids at his age are egocentric. Meaning they have the inability to distinguish between their point of view and the point of view of others. Perhaps bursting his dreams are your dreams.

You were so quick in becoming defensive that there is no reason to believe that you havent acted the same way in other forums.

Furthermore, it's totally fair for someone to be concerened about your behavior, especially when a 3 1/2 year old is involved.

You, are the common denominator.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
6/11/2016 1:06am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2016 1:19am
Every sentence, quoted aboves, starts with "I". Not to mention "I" dominating in all of your posts. This is clearly about you.

A lot if us in here can spot scenarios like this from a mile away. You got real answers from posters at a time where you wouldnt accept an answer until its the one you were looking for.
6/12/2016 3:49am
Well done
6/12/2016 3:59am
45 minute later you came up with this ballshit lol.

Yes clever clogs I posted on different forums, gold star to you!

I've took all comments and advice on bored considering my sons nearly 4 and can't read yes I will begin my sentences with I!

My sons dreams are my dreams NOT the other way round thanks. My dreams was to be a show jumper not a mx racer!! I can't even ride I geared bike I've never been on a track. I DONT KNOW I'd to why I've came with questions to here, you've replyied 3 times. Nothing atall of any value to me, you don't know what advise I take back and put to use. I wrote this when I was completly in aware of a lot of things now I've been out and spoke to other race mums an seen for my self and watched the little lads out on the tracks and herd the horror stories and fairy tale stories.

On the othe forums a dint have fucking wankers assuming they no me my son & the ways I'm going and what I'm apparently so obvious to be doing.

Don't waste your typing time and your 45 minute gaps between your comments like you've gone off to think of something to say.

Now the muppet is concerned about my behaviour with my son!? LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Love the common dominator Evil
6/12/2016 6:11am
Mum, I take it that being it is a Mini Adventure, it must be a used machine, correct ? I believe that 2008 was the last year for the Adventure series.

As I mentioned above, be prepared to work on it. The air cooled engine is a bit more forgiving in maintenance , but clutches and stators are still a big part of how these bikes run.

Hopefully, the bike is in fairly good shape. I would never pay top dollar for a used mini. They tend to be used up if they are ridden much at all.

I paid $120 each for these two KTM 50's. A '00 Junior Adventure and an '04 Pro Junior.

The Adventure needed a new fuel tank and some tidying up. It ran good, but KTM used Morini engines for them. Parts are very hard to come by for them, as Morini is out of business. I had about $350 in this bike, including the purchase price. It also needed a new stator. Lucky my dealer still had one on the shelf.

The '04 was a different story. Was run hot, impeller failed, seized the top end, flaked the plating on the cylinder.

It required a new cylinder kit, water pump rebuild, clutch assembly, and stator before it made noise again. Then it was on to the tidy up. This one was a break even on re-sale. Had about $600 in it including purchase price. Let it go for $850.

Both of these were low hour bikes, maybe 10 hours on either of them. Original tires, grips.

They do not take continuous riding, abuse, without continuously keeping after things.

Just saying, if you buy a KTM 50 , especially one with a lot of time on it, my suggestion would be to buy a good service manual and every specialty tool needed to maintain the bike. Along with a spare clutch and stator ,for starters.

I could not get rid of these two fast enough.

6/13/2016 4:17am
Mum, I take it that being it is a Mini Adventure, it must be a used machine, correct ? I believe that 2008 was the last...
Mum, I take it that being it is a Mini Adventure, it must be a used machine, correct ? I believe that 2008 was the last year for the Adventure series.

As I mentioned above, be prepared to work on it. The air cooled engine is a bit more forgiving in maintenance , but clutches and stators are still a big part of how these bikes run.

Hopefully, the bike is in fairly good shape. I would never pay top dollar for a used mini. They tend to be used up if they are ridden much at all.

I paid $120 each for these two KTM 50's. A '00 Junior Adventure and an '04 Pro Junior.

The Adventure needed a new fuel tank and some tidying up. It ran good, but KTM used Morini engines for them. Parts are very hard to come by for them, as Morini is out of business. I had about $350 in this bike, including the purchase price. It also needed a new stator. Lucky my dealer still had one on the shelf.

The '04 was a different story. Was run hot, impeller failed, seized the top end, flaked the plating on the cylinder.

It required a new cylinder kit, water pump rebuild, clutch assembly, and stator before it made noise again. Then it was on to the tidy up. This one was a break even on re-sale. Had about $600 in it including purchase price. Let it go for $850.

Both of these were low hour bikes, maybe 10 hours on either of them. Original tires, grips.

They do not take continuous riding, abuse, without continuously keeping after things.

Just saying, if you buy a KTM 50 , especially one with a lot of time on it, my suggestion would be to buy a good service manual and every specialty tool needed to maintain the bike. Along with a spare clutch and stator ,for starters.

I could not get rid of these two fast enough.

Thank you project racer, a lot of good info I've kept for future, Christmas he's getting ktm 50 sx isit? As you, fowler a said they don't do the mini adventures no more but the 2017 is £3200 our plan is to get him that this year for Christmas keeping his pw aswell, as he will only be 4 so will have 2years to master his skills and technique on his ktm before racing as he has to be 6 in the uk, so by the time he's starting racing his bike will be 2years old.

Any info or comments much appriciated Smile
6/13/2016 11:19pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 11:20pm
The newer 50's have a much better clutch design, with a clicker type adjuster. Makes dialing in the clutch much easier than the old style clutch, which always needed attention for proper performance. A worn clutch could account for some strange (poor) running characteristics on that old design.

All in all, the SX is a very high strung race bike. Just have to stay on top of high wear items to keep it running sharp.
Sidecar
6/14/2016 11:52am
I would recommend a Honda crf 50.... I had one for my son, he was 5ish when he started on it and as he grew/got faster we upgraded to bigger handle bars, a racing exhaust pipe, stronger wheels, stiffer suspension springs, stronger foot pegs etc.
As well as being kids bikes there was a big scene a few years back of adults racing these bikes so big strong parts are plentiful, they are way and I mean WAY more reliable than the KTMs and after 7 years of ownership I got my money back for it.
Get a Honda though don't be tempted by a Chinese copy....

As for racing I would re consider, I detest schoolboy/youth motocross, the parents yelling at the kids, the "I have spent all this money and you only finish 7th" mentality, the kids end up resenting the parents and getting out/away from motocross as soon as they can... By all means have a nice bike, get your son the latest kit, a nice helmet etc and take him practicing all the time while you sit in the sunshine and enjoy spending time with him, take photos of his beaming smile, let him make friends at the track that will last a life time and when he's old enough to make the desision for himself to race (around 15) then help him earn the money to buy his own bike and start racing.
You and he will appreciate it all the more in my opinion.
Worked for me and I'm still racing at 38, I still speak to people I have know for 30+ years and it's working again for my son who is 14 in August and a decent little rider, he and I have NEVER fallen out over motocross and he is now on an adult bike and starting to get really keen to race so next year I think he will, when as a young man he will understand the danger and responsibility that comes with racing motorcycles.

Post a reply to: The next step up!!? For 3 1/2 year

The Latest