The hard choice between buying a new KTM 4 banger or 2 stroker. Need some help!

Edited Date/Time 2/8/2015 6:34pm
So I've been riding ever since I was a little kid, raced for a few years on 85's and haven't had a bike in almost 4 years. Last bike I had was a YZ 125 and I loved it. I have a new job and it pays well enough for me to get back into riding but I need some help, I'm sure this question gets tossed around on this forum A LOT but... I'm looking at the 2015 SX 250 or the SXF. The problem is I just love both the bikes but I just can't decide which one to go with. I absolutely loving slamming around a 2 stroke and working on them, easy fixes and I like the overall feel. I love the 4 strokes as well because it feels beefier but I feel the lack of power with them a lot but overall are nice bikes that seem to handle anything I put my friends 250's through. I have never ridden a 250 2 stroke so it's hard for me to settle on one. Price isn't a problem for fixing wise and buying, I'll mainly be doing all of my work anyways. I'll be riding a little bit of everything fyi.

Anyways, could I have some input on peoples experiences on switching from a 250 2 stroke to a 250 4 stroke or vice versa.
|
NHtoWA421
9/21/2014 11:00am
Sounds like the answer is obvious to me: buy both.
I rode 2 strokes for years and loved every minute of it. Nothing like the sound, and bashing around a track at high rpms and using the clutch to shoot you out of a corner. But at the same time I wanted a 450 because I had never ridden one and wanted to see what all the hype about them was. The things that I've noticed are:
the 450 can be ridden faster with a lot less work.
My 250 2 stroke tires me out faster because to requires more work to make it go quick. And the extra clutch work gives me arm pump faster.
Both have 2 wheels and are a whole lot of fun. But both behave entirely different. If you're looking to go fast and aren't in the best shape. Buy the 4 stroke. If you're in good shape and like bashing gears and hearing the bike wail like a banshee. Go 2 stroke.
If you like both: buy a used (or new) low hour 4 stroke an build up a used 2 stroke.
9/21/2014 5:54pm
You wont regret the ktm 250sx.
You will love it.
You will be absolutely blown away by the overall performance.

You said your wanting a bike for all kinds of riding, not just moto.
The 2 stroke is THAT bike.

Get a brand new ktm 250sx and never look back. You will be glad you did..
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
9/30/2014 12:48pm
250 2-stroke with a 9oz flywheel weight. Unparalleled performance.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
10/3/2014 12:09pm
You wont regret the ktm 250sx. You will love it. You will be absolutely blown away by the overall performance. You said your wanting a bike...
You will love it.

This. You will shit your pants.

And you always have the option to do a 300 kit for a little more power later on.

The Shop

10/8/2014 3:11pm
You wont regret the ktm 250sx. You will love it. You will be absolutely blown away by the overall performance. You said your wanting a bike...
You will love it.

Markee wrote:
This. You will shit your pants.

And you always have the option to do a 300 kit for a little more power later on.
Yep, coming off a super decked out kx 250 2t. I listened to the hype and bought a new crf 450 and although it was the right choice for my 41 year old, out of shape body, I still believe the 2 strokes have a higher level of performance for an aggressive in shape rider. .
10/8/2014 5:37pm
Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty content on a 2 stroke, I'm a very aggressive rider and half of what I thrive my adrenaline from is the raw power of a 2 stroke. After riding my buddy's 2015 sxf450 yesterday, it's safe to say I won't be on one for a long time. 300cc kit and a perfect flywheel setup should keep me off my feet
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
1/18/2015 7:40pm
look into the 350 sx-f really fun bike that flat rips
1/18/2015 9:15pm
If you're up for a 250 two stroke why not consider the 450 four stroke or the 350 four stroke. If you're confident enough for an open class two stroke you're going to get to the point quickly where you wish the 250 four stroke had more balls. I find a 450 the easiest to ride. Put er in third and ride. You can either lug it or rev it. I'm 6'4" and 225 though. The 350 is like a big 250F. It rides similar where the meat of the power is mid-range to over rev, but because of that is more mentally tiring than a 450. A 450 is more physically tiring. Dirtbike Magazine did a pretty good compairson of the two. If you go to the back issues it's the October 2014 issue. I've ridden both a 350 and 450 and found their write up to be accurate. Then the choice comes down to 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Both are good. I love both. These days I prefer the rideabillity of a thumper.
Dragoo168
1/21/2015 4:29pm
Since you're already fixed on a KTM, go down to the dealership, and see all the models they have in 2 and 4 stroke, for the various types of riding.
Hosedawg
1/22/2015 6:51pm
Well, for fun factor......2 stroke. Also it doesn't break the bank account when you need to rebuild engine.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
1/28/2015 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2015 2:32pm
NHtoWA421 wrote:
Sounds like the answer is obvious to me: buy both. I rode 2 strokes for years and loved every minute of it. Nothing like the sound...
Sounds like the answer is obvious to me: buy both.
I rode 2 strokes for years and loved every minute of it. Nothing like the sound, and bashing around a track at high rpms and using the clutch to shoot you out of a corner. But at the same time I wanted a 450 because I had never ridden one and wanted to see what all the hype about them was. The things that I've noticed are:
the 450 can be ridden faster with a lot less work.
My 250 2 stroke tires me out faster because to requires more work to make it go quick. And the extra clutch work gives me arm pump faster.
Both have 2 wheels and are a whole lot of fun. But both behave entirely different. If you're looking to go fast and aren't in the best shape. Buy the 4 stroke. If you're in good shape and like bashing gears and hearing the bike wail like a banshee. Go 2 stroke.
If you like both: buy a used (or new) low hour 4 stroke an build up a used 2 stroke.
You hit the nail on the head. I own both a 250 2 stroke and a 450 4 stroke also.
Maintenance wise, I've experienced what I've outlined below, both positive and negative. Again, its personal preference, but just remember 4 strokes require a different type of maintenance with the engine:

2 stroke:
-Less overall maintenance cost, but engine parts tend to wear out faster than a 4 stroke.
-You need to stock up on 2 stroke oil.
-Piston and rings wear out faster than a 4 stroke.
-Crankshaft / bearings wear out faster than a 4 stroke
-Clutch wears out faster than a 4 stroke.
-You can run trans oil for a fairly long time and not worry about your engine blowing up.
-A two stroke pipe can get dents and dings in it a lot easier than a 4 stroke.
-Two stroke pipes are cheap

4 stroke:
-More overall maintenance cost, but engine parts seem to last a lot longer.
-Keeping the valve train fresh is CRITICAL. When timing chains stretch, valves wear, valve seats and guides wear, or valves break, be prepared to spend lots of money. Price a replacement head and valves and you'll see what I'm talking about.
-You need to keep an hour meter on the bike to make sure above components are replaced on certain intervals, and if you don't, again, be prepared to spend lots of money.
-You need to stock up on 4 stroke oil. This oil is pumped throughout the engine through a filter to keep it clean because it not only lubricates the clutch and transmission, but also the cams and timing chain. debris in the oil will kill a 4 stroke. I change mine every other ride.
-Piston and ring seem to last twice as long as a two stroke, as there are no port openings for rings to catch on and there is oil lubricating it all of the time also.
-Clutch seems to last longer
-4 stroke pipes are expensive.
TeamGreen
1/29/2015 4:58pm
I recently...VERY recently, rode all the KTMs in the 125-500cc model line up. Not too long, ago...I rode all the Husky models, too...

The 300XC is a 2T that "gives nothing away to the 4Ts". It's the Best All Around Dirt-Bike made.
The 350XCF OR SXF are virtually just as good...and are actual 4Ts.

I've sent quite a few friends out to get 300XCs, 350XCFs and Husky TE350s.

As to a direct answer to your actual question...

Flip a coin.

You can't go Wrong.
markit
1/31/2015 4:27am
If i where buying just for fun and not racing ypu cant beat the 150sx but between thoughts two o would have to give it to the sxf. I have owned and raced both to be fare im not a big power guy.
2/8/2015 6:34pm
I would go with the two stroke. Its a little more challenging at times but much more rewarding and fun. Ive had 450 and 250 2 two strokes, only the 2 stroke remains.

Post a reply to: The hard choice between buying a new KTM 4 banger or 2 stroker. Need some help!

The Latest