New to the MX track.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/27/2015 11:07pm
Stay in your line, don't cross back and forth across the track. If you roll a jump stay to the side. You don't have to look back every 2 seconds but be aware who's around you and who's coming up fast. The biggest thing is stay in your line, even if it's not the best one at the moment, don't cross the track, let the faster guys go around you. Good luck and be safe!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
4/28/2015 8:57am
Yeah maybe give a glance over the shoulder to make sure you are safe if you feel comfortable. Don't speed up to the lip and slam on the brakes, that would give riders behind you the impression you are gonna jump it. Just hold your line on the side clear past the landing then regain your ride. I have seen riders roll the jump but then cut into the landing or main line too soon, that's very dangerous.

Not sure where you ride but chat it up with the guys you park next to, 99% of them will give you some good advice and help you get on the way.

Everyone wants to be safe out there and helping younger riders or new riders is a great start.

I'm writing all of this because I remeber when I first went to a track and had no clue on the etiquette or safe way to ride and wish someone gave me advice.

KawiKlown
4/28/2015 9:02am
Contrary to what I hear the community where I live is very helpful and also cool when it comes to all riders. Everyone over here just wants to see the sport grow and continue to be happy so its pretty cool environment to learn the sport. Il chat up with the other riders and just try to hold my line until I'm ready to compete on the track. Thanks for the advice Carlino.

The Shop

KMC440
4/29/2015 2:41am
Once you get comfortable in some sections and the fastest riders go by watch their technique and body positioning. Mimic what their doing,regardless of your speed. This will help you progress faster than anything. When it comes time for jumping ... again start small ... but following someone to get the right speed is very important and helpful.

Have fun.
duckonquack
5/25/2015 6:53pm
There really is no beginner edicate just dont be an asshole, his means taking up entire track and cutting the faster guys off. if theres a crazy fast rider in practice or something yeah stay more to the side but dont make it your top priority to get out of someones way after all its your practice time to. Ik the feeling you have and ive had my fair share of those events. i used to race harescrambles. and you would have guys screaming at you for not getting out of the way, most of the time however its just them trying to get by you. Most motocrossers in my experience are nice and understanding people. They know not every rider out there is an a class rider. youll get used to it after a while and know when to pullover and take it slow and when not.
duckonquack
5/25/2015 6:55pm
you can normally hear who the fast guys are to no need to keep looking behind you, youll know. plus if they really are that fast they should go by you no problem even if your in their line
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
6/30/2015 5:39pm
WFO everytime your on the track.
bronwynrayne
7/1/2015 2:06pm
I'm new to MX too, luckily I had a pretty good moto fam to tow me around my very first time but I always get nervous when we pull up to the track. I don't want to get in anyone's way, same kinda thing you described above. Basically you have to make sure you ride with the right class, if you're with the big bikes, slow class, they can't give you shit because you're in the right class and you're beginning, so you're slower. As long as you hold your line and aren't zig zagging all over the place they'll just pass you. Passing is a part of motocross so they gotta learn sometime.

As far as jumps go, take it easy, get a little air if you are comfortable, and get used to jumping before trying it on the track. You're allowed to just roll over the lip of the jump and keep it on the ground.

Have fun! Smile
Kawisrok
7/3/2015 1:30pm
I am also new to the mx track, but I have decades of superbike experience and I just use the same principles as we did then. Ride your own ride, stay on your line. If you're weaving from side to side you're going to probably get ass canned. Don't worry about the guys/gals behind you but in front of you.
7/11/2015 12:57pm
More experienced guys on the track will know what to expect as they approach. Riding nervous, looking over your shoulder or even trying to move out the way usually makes things worse. Concentrate on your own ride/lines and don't worry about what's going on behind
Chucky827
7/11/2015 9:44pm
KawiKlown wrote:
Contrary to what I hear the community where I live is very helpful and also cool when it comes to all riders. Everyone over here just...
Contrary to what I hear the community where I live is very helpful and also cool when it comes to all riders. Everyone over here just wants to see the sport grow and continue to be happy so its pretty cool environment to learn the sport. Il chat up with the other riders and just try to hold my line until I'm ready to compete on the track. Thanks for the advice Carlino.
Sometimes it can be better to compete / race. your more apt to be on the track with folks your speed and or skill, such as a beginner class. Don't let the term "racing" scare you, look at it like this. The gate drops you ride at your own level until the checkered flag comes out and someone scores you.
Chucky
JASON GROCE
7/13/2015 4:45am
Holy shit you guys everything all you guys have written all your wonderful pearls of wisdom(or mine ) won't do anything for this guy,HE LIKES BEING BRAKE CHECKED AND HAVING ROCKS THROWN IN HIS FACE. You will never get better until you believe in yourself quit getting out the way just because some asshole runs his front tire up your butt! Quit leaving your nutts in the pitts and act like a racer!
7/18/2015 7:27am
Holy shit you guys everything all you guys have written all your wonderful pearls of wisdom(or mine ) won't do anything for this guy,HE LIKES BEING...
Holy shit you guys everything all you guys have written all your wonderful pearls of wisdom(or mine ) won't do anything for this guy,HE LIKES BEING BRAKE CHECKED AND HAVING ROCKS THROWN IN HIS FACE. You will never get better until you believe in yourself quit getting out the way just because some asshole runs his front tire up your butt! Quit leaving your nutts in the pitts and act like a racer!
I think telling him to not cross a jump face is great advice. In fact, I think everyone here has given him good advice...except you.

To sum up:
Stay in your line.

When a faster rider comes up on you, don't do anything but stay in your line. They will go around you. You switch lines when they are going in for a pass, there is a good chance you will be hit.

Bronwyn's advice about jumping is good advice. So is Joe's.

KMC suggests taking time to watch faster riders - also great advice. Talk to them as well.

As others said, have fun. We were all slow beginners at one time. Forget what others think and just have fun and do your best to learn.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
7/19/2015 7:14am
if you was to cross the jump face in front of a faster rider committed to doing the jump it could hurt every both of the ]riders, so NEVER do that.

Post a reply to: New to the MX track.

The Latest