New To Dirt Bikes

KiwiKido
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2016 4:36pm
Hello everyone. I’m really new to dirt bikes. I recently got a 2001 YZ250 and I love it! Fits me well, being 5’8 and around 165. I have ridden on my friends bikes before but never owned one in my life. I recently found the manual online and bought a book on tuning bikes. However I decided to get some firsthand knowledge from others as well. So what I am wanting to know is, how to take care of my bike. I know dirt bikes should be well taken care of.
I wanted to know how often change the oil/filters. What brand of oil to use. You recommended brands on parts, filters, oils, cleaners, and anything’s of that nature. What tools I should buy and what brands are recommended. Socket sets, wrenches, pliers, and things like that. What you recommend that is best as a basis of basic bike care, tool requirements, and any other information I need.
I'm going to have 100's of question in the future. I hope you will bear with me and help me become a respectable rider in the community!
Sincerely, Jon
|
KMC440
1/6/2016 6:26am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 6:27am
Regarding tools, get what you can afford. Hell the cheap stuff at Harbor Freight or at estate sales will be fine. A 10mm and 8mm t-handle wrench will definitely make your life better and tire irons/spoons get 3of them.
Oils and filters are waaaaaaaaaay too subjective, my .02 worth... Maxima superM at 36 to 1. Twin Air filters with Maxima filter oil and use grease liberally on the sealing surface of the filter to the airbox.
Hope this helps.
motoXracer971
1/8/2016 4:36pm
That's a great bike too! I had a '96 YZ250, which was the first year of that design.

* If you are using pump gas make sure its Premium (91-93 octane, ethanol free is best) or better. As far as premix goes, I LOVE Maxima Castor 927!
* Inspect/clean your air filter regularly. Like after ride. As stated above make sure to grease the seal w/waterproof grease
* Change your case oil regularly (I go 5-10 hours)
* Keep an eye on your spokes!
* Don't blast your bike too much w/a pressure washer! You wouldn't think so, but these things wreak havoc on your bike if used too much.
* Keep your bearings greased (wheels, swingarm, linkage, steering stem, etc.)
* I keep a toolbox w/me that has every tool I'd need for my bike, which is generally the same regardless of what color bike you're riding, like 8mm-17mm sockets, wrenches, a wrench big enough for your axle nuts, and a few screw drivers for good measure.
* These are just the basics and I'm sure there's something I missed...

There will likely be other maintenance scenarios that are further in depth, but if you are mechanically inclined a 2-stroke is easy to work on. If you get the manual referenced above you will be golden! Have fun on your new bike, dude

Post a reply to: New To Dirt Bikes

The Latest