How do I get myself into Motocross racing?

BradenZ71
So I'm 19 and live in Spokane, WA. Here we have the Airway Height's "Airway X" motocross track. For years and years now I've seen my friends start racing and talking about how much they enjoy it. I started riding when I was 8 and have never stopped since. I've been to the track once when I had my CRF 80 back in the day, but it was just putting around the track during an open ride day. I've always been a dominant trail rider, but have always dreamed of getting into racing. To be honest I have no idea where to even begin, so that's why I'm on here asking the community for some help. Currently I have an 2004 Honda CRF 250X that I saved up for over a course of 6 months which I purchased in late March of 2016. When I was searching for bikes they're were many 250R's available, but for some reason I went straight for another trail bike. So basically my main question is how old of a race bike can I buy to begin racing. Im curious if a 2006-2008 Honda CRF 250R would be good one to start off with.What I would like to do is throw my 250X on craigslist, either sell it or see if someone wants to trade for a 250R. I have basically everything I need except for a bike. Full gear, truck to haul the bike, and a race track not even 30 minutes from my home. I know you can register for racing online through the track by me but have no idea how the class system works. Just would really like some guidance here on truly how to begin in this sport. Any information towards anything would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!
Braden
|
8/23/2016 5:22am
I looked at your local tracks sign up sheet. You would want to sign up for 125cc-250Fcc D(beg) class for your first time racing. That is your beginner class up there.

As for breaking into the sport, It looks like your track holds practice days on non race weekends. I would start there. Entry fees for practice days are generally cheaper than race entry fees and you get a LOT more time on the track during a practice day. I would even look into taking your current bike to a practice day and get a feel for it. It looks like they might have some trails to hit too since it says they host hare scrambles. I probably wouldn't advise going all out on the track though on the 250X since your suspension is going to be pretty soft.

As for bikes, I would find a good used 250F. don't be so concerned on the brand. Nobody really makes a truly bad bike. Especially with how much customization you can get out of the aftermarket companies.

One other option is to look at getting your suspension redone through someone like Factory Connection. You can give the a call and tell them that you want to set it up to run beginner motocross class and aggressive trail riding, they may be able to find a setting that works for your current bike. I have a bike that I had revalved for hare scrambles and it does pretty well on a motocross track with a few turns of the clickers. I wouldn't jump any 100ft gaps on it but I'm not at the skill level to mess with stuff that big anyways.
DuroTools
8/23/2016 3:07pm
Take Southernriders advice and once you get out there just practice and practice some more and don't even attempt the bigger jumps until you can overshoot the smaller jumps with ease then you will know you are ready to hit some of the bigger jumps and don't rush it. That's my mistake I go for 1 day to the track then get a bit of confidence up by the end of the day and end up getting hurt trying a jump that I wasn't ready for, just let your progression happen naturally by riding allot. Also go to MX school, I wish I did that when I was younger.
KMC440
8/26/2016 6:57am
When it's time to start jumping get behind a faster rider and use them as your speed gauge. It'll make it a lot easier than just guessing at the right speed to clear the jump.
9/4/2016 8:03am
You can literally race just about anything wiith a single shock and do fairly well if you're a good rider

The Shop

9/8/2016 8:40pm
You said you have friends who race motocross, go with them to open practice days ride with them learn from them and try one of their bikes to see how it feels.
Rockinar
9/17/2016 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2016 7:04pm
You're 19 and probably have no money. I'd get a 125 2 stroke. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, cheaper to repair, cheaper to race and much less physical maintenance.

If you cant compete on a 125, you were not going to do any better on a 250F.

Just my .02 cents. Endless kids your age are blowing up 250F engines because they don't do the work needed. Its a race bike, not a trail bike. You have to do the maintenance or save up $3,000 for when your motor explodes.

Post a reply to: How do I get myself into Motocross racing?

The Latest