Honda CRF 250L 2013

do1nth4ngs
Edited Date/Time 11/9/2013 2:13pm
Hello Im new here and I just purchased this really nice bike for some off road trails and I might ride it to work from time to time . This is the first one I have purchased and so far I am very happy with it! I'm just curious of what everyone thinks about this bike and what upgrades I could add. So far all I plan to do is upgrade the exhaust but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to give this bike some extra HP!!!! I cant promise anything but I will try to post some videos of me riding soon on/off-road but so far Ive managed to hit 84mph before running out of road and Hthink it still had some pull LOL... This thing seems to ride really well but from what Ive been reading some people are bashing this bike and now Im kinda nervous about buying this one but for the price I thought it was a steal.....(4k usd) I think this bike will be good for a first purchase but Id like to spice it up if I could xD any replies would be appreciated

Not new to riding but this is the second bike I have owned and the first one I have purchased I really would l like to learn more about dirtbikes and how to ride so I could use any information anyone has to offer (magazines/how-to-guides)
|
do1nth4ngs
9/6/2012 2:56pm
New exhaust?

front or rear sprockets?

any feed back would be appreciated....
bronc3
9/6/2012 7:11pm
I don't know about the new 250, but the 230 responds well to exhaust, rejet, and removing the snorkel from the airbox. These mods need to be done all at the same time .

As far as the gearing, lower gearing will work better for the trails, trading off some road-abilty. You have to decide for yourself how you intend to use the bike, and adjust it accordingly.

To drop the gearing I prefer a larger rear sprocket as it is easier on the chain. The drawback is that this generally requires a longer chain. You can accomplish the same thing with a smaller front sprocket, but I feel this is harder on the chain, as it runs in a tighter radius around the smaller sprocket.

I have a couple of dual sports, one of which is a DRZ400S. It is street legal and does see some pavement, but it is set up primarily for dirt use. I run DRZ400E (the full-on off road version of the DRZ) gearing. The bike is still streetable, but doesn't like to cruise above 60 for extended periods of time. This might be similar to gearing your "L" more like the CRF230F.

If you decide to use it primarily for dirt, I might be able to give you more suggestions.
do1nth4ngs
9/16/2012 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2012 7:02pm
Thank you for the quick reply I have been working lately sorry I couldn't get back to you quicker... I will be mainly using this bike for off road trails and it will see some pavement when I ride to work but I would definitely like to unleash this bike a little more if possible. This bike is fuel injected so would I need to have the ecu adjusted or would a power commander help/be cheaper? I really wouldn't like to go all off road with this bike because I have it insured and now have my license but what size sprocket should I change to on the front or back or both to keep a decent 65-70mph while adding some extra power without sacrificing my highway speeds and engine wear? I'm not really sure what direction I need to go with the exhaust and header (powerbomb/megabomb) but I'm pretty sure my bike has a lot of low end and mid range power so if you could shine some light in this area I would definitely appreciate it!!!! As far as the exhaust and header goes I'm looking into the FMF Titanium Q4 exhaust with the megabomb header would this be a good combo for this bike? Thanks

Specifications
ENGINE
Engine Type 249.4cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore And Stroke 76mm x 55mm
Induction PGM-FI, 36mm throttle body
Ignition Computer-controlled digital transistorized with electronic advance
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train DOHC; four-valve
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive #520 chain; 14T/40T
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 43mm inverted fork; 8.7 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link® single shock with spring preload adjustability; 9.4 inches travel
Front Brake Single 256mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 220mm disc
Front Tire 3.00-21
Rear Tire 120/80-18
DIMENSIONS
Rake 27°35' (Caster Angle)
Trail 113mm (4.4 inches)
Wheelbase 56.9 inches
Seat Height 34.7 inches
Curb Weight 320 pounds
Fuel Capacity 2.0 gallons
Miles Per Gallon TBD - Honda's fuel economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride, how you maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, installation of accessories, cargo, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Ground Clearance 10.0 inches

The Shop

bronc3
9/16/2012 8:14pm
Sorry, didn't realize it was injected, that's really cool. You will probably have to adjust the fuel curve by re-flashing the ECU or with a Power Commander as you pointed out. I prefer the PC route, that way you can remap the bike yourself easily.

As far as the gearing, if you need 70mph cruise you will probably wind up sticking with the stock gearing.
do1nth4ngs
9/16/2012 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2012 9:10pm
what speed would I be able to cruise at with a different rear sprocket?most of my highways are about 60-65 here I live in a country area really dont need to be doing 70 but it is fun to hit 6th gear and really cruise at 70 LOL but I would just like to have a little more pull from the start... One reason I would really like to change sprockets in the back is the appearance of the smaller one doesnt look appealing to me I really prefer the big sprocket look in the back
do1nth4ngs
9/16/2012 8:55pm
Honestly I really might not even mess with the gearing because after I pay this bike off ill prob be looking for another bike that is mainly off road and just keep this thing for fun ... From your experience would just adding the exhaust,header, air filter, and a power commander be enough to give it that extra little umph and keep it from being all stock? Smile
bronc3
9/17/2012 5:07pm
I know that exhaust and rejet make a big difference in the 230, I would hope your 250 would respond well to exhaust and remap.

You could probably go up a tooth or two in the rear without killing your top end completely. It would be a noticeable change, but not a drastic one.
do1nth4ngs
9/20/2012 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2012 12:36pm
Is this the same engine in the 2013 crf250r an crf250x? Are there any major differences?I'm wonderingif this bike can be tweaked the same as one of these if it was Upgraded with the right parts
bronc3
9/28/2012 8:26am
Sorry, been out of town and busy with work.

I don't know how similar the L engine is to the others, but I doubt it is the same. Your engine is designed for a long life, the others are designed for performance at the expense of longevity. The price you pay for a race engine in a bike is far more frequent overhauls compared to a trailie or dual sport.

My experience with most dual sports and trailies is that they all come out of the crate lean, and respond to normal mods nicely. I haven't had the pleasure of tuning an injected dual sport yet.
do1nth4ngs
10/23/2012 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2012 5:06pm
Awesome Smile Sorry for the late response been working too much lately.... I've been riding around my area lately and I've only put 700 miles on my bike, but I honestly believe I'm going to upgrade it with the full exhaust system(trying to find the right exhaust/header) and I think the power commander will definitely be on the list along with the 13/49T sprocket and chain!!! I think I have decided to keep it primarily for off road use I believe ill shave off some excess weight and keep the headlight (that is badass to have) For now I'm just trying to figure out what I can get rid of to shed the pounds. Possibly change the battery and fuel tank to something lighter and I was curious if I bought a new set of rims and tires if the actual rims would be lighter than what I have? But I really appreciate your help and replies it is very much appreciated!!!! I will definitely keep you posted on the progress and I'll show photos and upgrades Smile

What would you do if you had this bike and kept it for off road use only??? Smile

How much am I looking at if I wanted to replace the front and rear suspension?

I've looked on motosport for parts for this bike and they don't really have anything... do you think it would be ok to use the crf 250x 2013 sprockets and parts?
Russ
11/2/2012 6:04am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2012 6:13am
do1nth4ngs wrote:
New exhaust?

front or rear sprockets?

any feed back would be appreciated....
Hi,
I have had my 250l for about a month and have found that the gearing is too tall for off road. I am only riding forestry tracks and fire trails, not hard core enduro. If I were to do the enduro thing, I would have to say that I have the wrong bike, due to the suspension and gearing. It is a trail bike, and many people knock the 250L, as they falsely compare it to the other bikes in CRF family.

They come standard 14/40 sprockets and I am looking at going to a 42 tooth on the rear, just to give me a bit more bottom end torque. If you reduced the size of the front sprocket, your chain life will be significantly reduced due to the chain turning on a tighter radius. If you go to a larger rear sprocket, the torque output will be slightly increased with a slight reduction in top end speed. Have a look at www.sprocketcalculator.com and this will show you how each change will affect the output. From this website, going to a 13/49, your torque will increase around 24%, and top end power will drop about the same. You will also have to go from a 106 link to a 124 link chain to keep your wheel base the same.

The 250l is no speed demon, but you would just need to get a bit more torque in the bottom to mid range

If you go to a much larger rear sprocket, you will have to go to a larger chain to keep the wheel base the same, as reducing the wheel base will also affect the handling. Also the rear chain guide will have to be removed, as there is not much room between the rear sprocket and the guide in the standard setup. I reckon I will get away with a 42 tooth, with out any problems. Any bigger, and the big will be transformed massively. A simple way to look at it is, reduce the front sprocket by 1 tooth, is pretty close to increasing the rear by 4 teeth.

At the end of the day, the 250L is a good little bike. With all the mods that your looking at, it may have been cheaper to buy a Husqvarna TE 310, or A yamaha WRF or YF (if rego is not an issue). Keep us posted on how you go.
TX24
1/10/2013 8:51am
I'll bet the suspension springs on that bike are pretty soft. You might look at an upgrade on that. You could look at Race Tech's sight to see what they offer for it.
2/6/2013 5:24pm
do1nth4ngs wrote:
Hello Im new here and I just purchased this really nice bike for some off road trails and I might ride it to work from time...
Hello Im new here and I just purchased this really nice bike for some off road trails and I might ride it to work from time to time . This is the first one I have purchased and so far I am very happy with it! I'm just curious of what everyone thinks about this bike and what upgrades I could add. So far all I plan to do is upgrade the exhaust but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to give this bike some extra HP!!!! I cant promise anything but I will try to post some videos of me riding soon on/off-road but so far Ive managed to hit 84mph before running out of road and Hthink it still had some pull LOL... This thing seems to ride really well but from what Ive been reading some people are bashing this bike and now Im kinda nervous about buying this one but for the price I thought it was a steal.....(4k usd) I think this bike will be good for a first purchase but Id like to spice it up if I could xD any replies would be appreciated

Not new to riding but this is the second bike I have owned and the first one I have purchased I really would l like to learn more about dirtbikes and how to ride so I could use any information anyone has to offer (magazines/how-to-guides)
i bought my 2013 honda crf 250l a couple months ago i had a 230l the new 250 is head over heels better than the 230 but i did do some upgrades that make a world of difference like if u go under best dual sport bikes.com or google it u can order a stage 1 power up kit wow my bike runs and sounds soo good its a totally different bike it comes with full exhaust 13 tooth front sprocket fuel programmer and u have to modify the air box but all and all its pretty simple and i bought a lowering kit lowers it 2 inches hope this helps
T.J._Fields
2/28/2013 8:02pm
I have had the 250l since January. So far I love it but I am looking to add a little more power as well. I have considered doing the stage 2 kit that best dual sport bikes has to offer. It has the full fmf exhaust with a 13t front sprocket and a flexible shifter (in case you lay it down it won't bend/break). The stage 2 doesn't have the fuel mgmt programmer like the stage 1 kit but, you can purchase the programmer and add it on later. This is what I am considering doing for now. If I were to buy each piece individually it wouldn't cost too much more than buying the whole kit at once. Plus, I would like to see what each individual piece adds to the over all power increase of the bike. I don't want to do anything too drastic, just make it sound good and give it a little more boost.
oldjokr
11/9/2013 7:08am
do1nth4ngs wrote:
Hello Im new here and I just purchased this really nice bike for some off road trails and I might ride it to work from time...

See my comments (oldjokr)
Foghorn
11/9/2013 8:08am
oldjokr comments

"Look guys I have owned the "L" for over a year now. I found out the hard way, I'm 56 and I stayed on the ground more than I stayed up on the bike. I have rode bikes all my life dirt and street. If you are going to ride trails make sure the trails are well maintained, 70/30 tires don't like sand nor a lot of mud. 1st thing I would do is, invest in tires to keep you on the bike or be very careful. Street riding you are fine. The bars are very weak for dirt riding, if you fall they will bend (I know). I recommend KTM stock fat bars with universal clamp, FMF Header, FMF Can, 13T front sprocket, EJK fuel tuner box or FMF tuner they all come with recommended settings. I found out the tuner is made all at the same place. Air Box mods will be a plus with air filter mods. Don't forget the 02 sensor (disconnect it). Shifter will also bend change it as well and be head of the game. BDSB web, Rick's modifications web pages will assist you. This bike is left up to you on what style of riding you plan to do, then adjust. You will not get but 24 hp tops out of this bike, after mods are complete."
oldjokr
11/9/2013 12:01pm
Foghorn wrote:
oldjokr comments "Look guys I have owned the "L" for over a year now. I found out the hard way, I'm 56 and I stayed on...
oldjokr comments

"Look guys I have owned the "L" for over a year now. I found out the hard way, I'm 56 and I stayed on the ground more than I stayed up on the bike. I have rode bikes all my life dirt and street. If you are going to ride trails make sure the trails are well maintained, 70/30 tires don't like sand nor a lot of mud. 1st thing I would do is, invest in tires to keep you on the bike or be very careful. Street riding you are fine. The bars are very weak for dirt riding, if you fall they will bend (I know). I recommend KTM stock fat bars with universal clamp, FMF Header, FMF Can, 13T front sprocket, EJK fuel tuner box or FMF tuner they all come with recommended settings. I found out the tuner is made all at the same place. Air Box mods will be a plus with air filter mods. Don't forget the 02 sensor (disconnect it). Shifter will also bend change it as well and be head of the game. BDSB web, Rick's modifications web pages will assist you. This bike is left up to you on what style of riding you plan to do, then adjust. You will not get but 24 hp tops out of this bike, after mods are complete."
Foghorn do you think my comment will help fellow 250lers
Foghorn
11/9/2013 12:20pm
Foghorn wrote:
oldjokr comments "Look guys I have owned the "L" for over a year now. I found out the hard way, I'm 56 and I stayed on...
oldjokr comments

oldjokr wrote:
I don't know much about newer four strokes. I ride a two stroke. I'm sure some of your tips are helpful. I just noticed that you posted your comments in a separate thread and you likely meant to put them in this thread.
oldjokr
11/9/2013 2:13pm
Foghorn wrote:
oldjokr comments

oldjokr wrote:
Foghorn wrote:
I don't know much about newer four strokes. I ride a two stroke. I'm sure some of your tips are helpful. I just noticed that you...
I don't know much about newer four strokes. I ride a two stroke. I'm sure some of your tips are helpful. I just noticed that you posted your comments in a separate thread and you likely meant to put them in this thread.
Thanks, I'm getting old. I thought I would learn by now to pay attention to details

Post a reply to: Honda CRF 250L 2013

The Latest