First Time in 2-Strokes

fins227
10/12/2015 10:44am
Keep the RPMs up using the clutch vs. just twisting the throttle.
Pick smoother lines to avoid hard on the brakes/ hard on the throttle.
Get them crappy forks set up.
2strokes feel safer while jumping IMO due to less engine weight.

The real key to figuring out how to ride your new bike, is to ride your new bike as much as possible.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
10/12/2015 11:15pm
Not sure what to tell you about the riding style as it sounds like you never rode enough to develop a style. I wouldn't mod the bike any. Ride it stock and learn to ride with the hit. Be in the power band before you hit the jump face. Be ready to grab some clutch on deep tracks, but in all reality the 250 is strong enough to not need much clutch work. Like the guy above said, ride the bike. Nothing beats seat time.
BTW my dad (a KTM mechanic/old pro wrench) runs the red spring in every 250 he sets up. That spring and turning out some screw makes for a smooth hit with loads of power. Sorry I can't elaborate further, I ride a 150 lol
JZ125
10/14/2015 12:59pm
I watch Youtube video's. I watched one on Marvin Musquin riding an SX150 called RAW and I listened to when he applied power. I am really focusing on cornering. I too have been off bikes for a while. I tried railing a rut while applying power and blew through the rut. I slammed pretty hard and thought I was hospital bound. I felt like I was applying power too late because I use the rear tire to turn the bike and was hoping I could use more front and carry more mid corner speed. Not so apparently.

Lot's of cut and thrust and clutch. I think it is a significant difference between 2 and 4 strokes but others can certainly correct me. So I figured watching those videos will help. Like I said they are called RAW, I think Transworld puts them on at PALA
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
12/2/2015 12:17pm
2 vs 4. biggest difference in approaching jumps and corners is due to engine braking and power delivery. 4t have much more torque and can pull any jump where as 2ts have all the power up top so maintaining momentum is key. dont use as much brake going into corners and work on leaning over more

The Shop

12/6/2015 5:09pm
It took me 3 years before I could hit jumps under hard accelaration and power on my kx 250. The thing ya gotta watch with two strokes jumping is when the bikes in the powerband rolling up a jump face...a little too much throttle can send you 20 feet passed where you intended to land but most of the time when your bikes accelerating too hard on jump faces the rider gets spooked and chops the throttle... resulting in an endo or coming up short.. which is usually worse than over jumping.
Ya goota learn to jump lugging the bike first.. which two strokes do really good... better than alot of people admit... then the jumping under power will get easier and easier..
Lucky13FIST
12/27/2015 11:27pm
Im not sure if the 2013 KTM has it or not but on my 2015 there was a white plug underneath the gas tank that could be disconnected and it was designed to take of the hard hit. Read the owners manual about it. It changes the ignition curve.

Jumping is jumping, 2 or 4 stroke. Line choice is crucial. Unlike a 450 that works for you, the 2 stroke makes you do the work. Smooth lines, keeping the bike in power, and really coasting and keeping momentum in turns will make your exit much smoother when you transition onto the throttle. Remember to keep your elbows out and squeeze the tank with your knees. The more seat time you clock the more you will figure out what works and what doesn't.

Riding a 2 stroke is like surfing or snowboarding on powder where a 4 stroke is just like riding a bobsled.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
1/1/2016 3:31am
Congrats. You have one of the best motocross bikes ever made, the 250 smoker.

You will have to shift, use your clutch, use your brakes and actually develop skill and technique. Long gone are the days of keeping it in third and farting around the track fucking up every corner.
KMC440
1/1/2016 9:48am
Easiest way to smooth out a two stroke "hit" is an fmf fatty and an 8oz or so flywheel weight. Best part of both is the simplicity of changing them out.
1/7/2016 10:34pm
Easiest way to to smooth out a 2 stroke is to ride it a gear high. Doesn't cost you anything except learning how to ride them aggressively. My advice. Get on it and pay your dues. You'll be happy you did. The guy above me is right as well. Fly wheel weights help spread the power and soften the hit some. I think the it pipe for that model year was a pro circuit works pipe(you could get a platinum pipe but the works looks badass!). Another thing is getting a Suzuki rm250 needle for the carb. I'm pretty sure it cleans up the jetting for better response. Anyone here remember what the part number is on that needle?
JonnyQuest
2/22/2016 11:49am
Just an update:

First off, thank you all for your input and insight! I've read, re-read, and read again all of your comments.

Some may not agree with this, but these are the mods I performed on it, and I'll let you know what it's like to ride it.
~11oz flywheel weight
~Added a tooth on the cs sprocket
~Throttle cam (woods)
~Green spring all the way in.
~Disconnected ignition wire.

This bike is ridiculously easy to ride! It has the engine characteristics of a 250f. Very linear power band, and predictable. Basically like a 150cc 2 stroke in a heavier bike, with no hit.

Thus far, the bike has taught me all about momentum and corner speed. Clearing jumps where a 4 stroke would glide over, I really have to keep the momentum up there to clear. The same with corners, especially sandy (common here in Florida), have to really haul the mail into the corner to keep the steam going.

Don't get me wrong, it's got plenty of power (at least for me), but no risk of whiskey throttle, at all. And not intimidating to ride. It's just plain fun!

Now that I'm getting more comfortable with it, I'll start undoing some mods. One at a time. That's the great part, nothing I did was permanent.

The moral of the story is that this KTM 250sx is teaching me how to ride properly!

Post a reply to: First Time in 2-Strokes

The Latest