Explanation Of Motocross Classes?

Edited Date/Time 2/25/2014 1:20am
I'm looking to get into motocross and I was searching the web on the motocross classes. I went to the AMA webpage and pulled up the 2014 rule book which is supposed to have the classes. I read it and I have no idea anything about classes. All I read is that there is the A, B, and C classes (This is for amateur racing). Can someone break down the classes so I can understand them? I'm looking to buy a TTR 125 as my first bike and I'm a 16 year old female. What class would I race in?
|
TX24
12/30/2013 7:44am
A is the fastest C is where many people start or beginner class. You would want to be in the slower of the women's class. Womens could just be A and B due to fewer women entries. You could also race mens C or beginner class.

Depending on your riding experience, you might out grow a TTR 125 pretty quick on a MX track. Maybe someone else will jump in here with more advice. I'm not very up to date on local womens moto.
12/31/2013 5:35pm
My sister used to race her ttr in the women's 85cc to125cc class. That would be your best bet. If that doesn't work you can always try pit bike races. They have women's class. I don't know the organizations too well I thinks there masters of mini in my area. I live in MA too so I would try that. Theyre local . All the other girls would have ttr 125 instead of 85's too, less intimidating because some of those girls are really fast on 85's
1/1/2014 7:52am
My sister used to race her ttr in the women's 85cc to125cc class. That would be your best bet. If that doesn't work you can always...
My sister used to race her ttr in the women's 85cc to125cc class. That would be your best bet. If that doesn't work you can always try pit bike races. They have women's class. I don't know the organizations too well I thinks there masters of mini in my area. I live in MA too so I would try that. Theyre local . All the other girls would have ttr 125 instead of 85's too, less intimidating because some of those girls are really fast on 85's
Thanks that helps a lot and I kinda understand it better. So the classes go by the bike you ride? Can 85 2-strokes race 125 4-strokes? Are there different classes within the A, B and C classes? So there is like a 125cc A class?
1/1/2014 10:54am
Your welcome. I was kinda vague about the breakdown of the classes. My sister did race against girls who were on 85 2strokes but she wanted to race against girls the same speed as her, C class , and same size bike as her like ttr, drz,klx, pretty much anything but full bred fire breathing 85's haha. She had fun but because of her speed and her bike she wasn't competitive at all but she had fun and they'res always gonna be girls on ttr125's like you in the class. It just really depends on what organization you go to I guess. They'res NESC,NCSC,NEMA, and some tracks just run they're own series. However, I would definitely recommend racing masters of mini or any other pit bike /play bike race cause the girls will have the same bike as you.

The Shop

TX24
1/1/2014 11:10am
In general classes in MX can be made up by age of racer, size of bike, and skill of racer. Also combinations of all the above. The bigger race you go to the more classes there are going to be. If there are any local shops in your area with people that race, most would be more than happy to explain how it is in your area.
mark_swart
1/3/2014 5:18pm
That bike isn't going to stand a chance (with a male or female rider) in even the regular beginner classes. Keep practicing until you are ready for a 125 two stroke or a 250F, then look into racing.
brandonm
1/31/2014 2:05am
A is amateur pro B is intermediate C is Novice (some say beginner depends where you live) D class is true beginner. (Unless you live in SoCal)

These 3 classes are big bikes divided into ex: 250A 450A or Open A (Both sizes) and so on

They get even more subdivided into Stock and Mod classes (now it's Limited and Unlimited)

They then have classes like school boy 12-16 and college boy 17-24, which is by age rather than a determined skill level

(Don't worry about mini classes since you're 16)

These classes are obviously all open to female riders, and good news they have women only classes!

Most local tracks will have races for girls set up as Women's Beginner, Amateur, and Pro

Now here's the news you might not be to stoked to hear. If you're just getting into riding you're not ready to race. Especially if you're not sure how the classes work. It's all overwhelming at first and the last thing you want to do is bite off more than you can chew! Get your TTR and have FUN! Get comfortable going quicker and quicker then once you are confident in your riding try your luck in a race! And don't listen too mark_swart you can race any bike in any class it doesn't matter. I see TTR125's racing all the time in the womens class!

Hope this helps!
Eddie_E
2/13/2014 8:58am
Do the practice at MX101 NH in the spring time .
They will put you with the Jr session that is mostly 65cc bikes with a few XR100's and TTR125's. It's a pretty good match and you won't get run over by the fast bikes. If you ever got the TTR going as fast as an 85 they will bump you to the C group. A&B run separate and so do quads on Sunday. Capeway in Middleboro will also put you with the 65 cc bikes. It's also a good track for you.
Eddie_E
2/13/2014 9:03am
Some smaller women do better with a KX100 or a KTM 100 as well.
Laliberte655
2/25/2014 1:20am
A class pro
B class intermediate
C class Novice
D class Beginner( your class) Also some local tracks/ events have a first timers class.

If I were you don't worry about getting a trainer right away. Just go out there and have some fun. Find a person that is a little faster than you and try to follow them. Also watch people that are good, and try things that you seen them do. Also don't be afraid to ask questions to other riders, most people are very kind at the tracks and they will give you advice.

Post a reply to: Explanation Of Motocross Classes?

The Latest