Desperately wanna race

Edited Date/Time 2/25/2015 11:40am
Hey, I've ridden my share of dirtbikes. I was a very quick leaner and my first time on a bike i picked it up very quick. Recently I've been watching some motorcross and I thought Id like to get into it. Now I'm 15(kinda late I know) and I live in Australia. Im willing to put the time and effort into my training, i want it SO bad. I also know how much maintenance the bikes need, and how much the cost is gonna be. If anyone could give me some tips on getting started that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers mates.
|
TX24
2/15/2015 10:09am
Probably a 125 two stroke of one of the top five companies would be a bike to start on. You'll need a way to transport it, if you don't have one. You'll need reasonable gear like a helmet, boots, and all that.
I would ride in some local off road area that you can ride legal first. Get a good handle on that and move up to local
track practice days.
After a good handle on practice days, you would be ready to try a race. There is no reason to get in a hurry.
Your going to have to have your parents help. I would also look for a local riding club or a shop that sells a
lot of off road bikes. There's bound to be someone there that will give you good advice along the way.
2/15/2015 3:52pm
TX24 wrote:
Probably a 125 two stroke of one of the top five companies would be a bike to start on. You'll need a way to transport it...
Probably a 125 two stroke of one of the top five companies would be a bike to start on. You'll need a way to transport it, if you don't have one. You'll need reasonable gear like a helmet, boots, and all that.
I would ride in some local off road area that you can ride legal first. Get a good handle on that and move up to local
track practice days.
After a good handle on practice days, you would be ready to try a race. There is no reason to get in a hurry.
Your going to have to have your parents help. I would also look for a local riding club or a shop that sells a
lot of off road bikes. There's bound to be someone there that will give you good advice along the way.
My mate said a 250 but for me they're pretty big. I was gonna go for a kx125 but I wasn't sure because some people hate kawa. I'll check out those practise days your talking about, sounds like my best bet. Im not tryna jump into its just I don't wanna leave it too late, since it's really the only sport I love that much. One last question, how long do you think it will take untill I can be racing? Cheers mate.
TX24
2/15/2015 4:19pm
Thing about a 250 is when you get out of shape, a 250 is less forgiving and can make a crash worse.
A 125 is more forgiving. People still go really fast on 125s.
Hard to say when you would be safe to race. Like I said, get out to some practice days and play race with some friends. They can tell when your ready to race.
2/16/2015 3:58am
TX24 wrote:
Thing about a 250 is when you get out of shape, a 250 is less forgiving and can make a crash worse. A 125 is more...
Thing about a 250 is when you get out of shape, a 250 is less forgiving and can make a crash worse.
A 125 is more forgiving. People still go really fast on 125s.
Hard to say when you would be safe to race. Like I said, get out to some practice days and play race with some friends. They can tell when your ready to race.
Cheers man I'll take your advice. I greatly appreciate it. Take care.

The Shop

2/21/2015 7:06am
Don't focus on racing for now, just focus on getting comfortable on the bike. Don't cheap out with gear, and your bike. Have fun and don't rush it!!
Cola22
2/22/2015 5:20pm
Dont race until you have full control of your bike. Just have fun get used to the whole mist of things and enjoy motocross. Dont try to jump up to fast, you dont want to forget that even though motocross is a great and fun sport it is dangerous so take your time and enjoy.
2/23/2015 10:35pm
Grab a 125, 150 (144) or 250F. The guys above are right. A 250 two stroke or 450 four stroke is great fun but when they bite back, they do it way harder than a small bore two stroke or four stroke. I've been on 450s for years now and they still scare the shit out of me when they get out of shape. Never cheap out on riding gear. You truly get what you pay for both in longevity and protection. Remember to have fun. Don't ride above your head and especially don't ride above your head when you get passed. If you haven't done so, start working out. I don't know if it is available to you but the P90X programs are worth their initial investment. There is a pretty good tread in Moto Related right now about best buys in MX. All kinds of gear and bikes people like and trust. Check that out. Good luck!
2/24/2015 3:48am Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 3:50am
Grab a 125, 150 (144) or 250F. The guys above are right. A 250 two stroke or 450 four stroke is great fun but when they...
Grab a 125, 150 (144) or 250F. The guys above are right. A 250 two stroke or 450 four stroke is great fun but when they bite back, they do it way harder than a small bore two stroke or four stroke. I've been on 450s for years now and they still scare the shit out of me when they get out of shape. Never cheap out on riding gear. You truly get what you pay for both in longevity and protection. Remember to have fun. Don't ride above your head and especially don't ride above your head when you get passed. If you haven't done so, start working out. I don't know if it is available to you but the P90X programs are worth their initial investment. There is a pretty good tread in Moto Related right now about best buys in MX. All kinds of gear and bikes people like and trust. Check that out. Good luck!
One thing im looking forward to is the jumping... Not, im scared man. I ain't gonna cheap out on gear that's the most important thing I reckon.
Cola22
2/24/2015 6:51pm
Sickdardz wrote:
One thing im looking forward to is the jumping... Not, im scared man. I ain't gonna cheap out on gear that's the most important thing I...
One thing im looking forward to is the jumping... Not, im scared man. I ain't gonna cheap out on gear that's the most important thing I reckon.
Jumping is something that is scary at first but once you get it, it makes and breaks real riders. Just remember take it slow and have a good time
KMC440
2/25/2015 11:40am
When you get to the point of starting to do some jumps obviously start small but find someone you trust to follow so you can get the approach speed right. Especially as your confidence grows and the jumps get bigger.

Post a reply to: Desperately wanna race

The Latest