Buy a used bike without a title?

10/2/2014 1:41pm
Well, you have to ask and answer a lot of questions. Here in Florida, it wasn't until like 6 or 7 years back that they started titling MX bikes. I don't know the case with MO.

Be careful though, because the guy might still owe on the bike if he can't give you a title. If you buy it and he has a lien on the bike, I'm not sure what could happen, but I doubt much good could come of it. Just ask them questions. Why no title? Do you have a lien against the bike? Do you mind if I get the serial number and check with the local police?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
10/8/2014 7:22pm
If there's a lien on the bike the lienholder can repossess it. If a bike in question was built after your state began requiring titles, it'll most likely be hot or not paid off. I'd stay away.
Agfracing
10/26/2014 9:43pm
I disagree with the stolen or not paid off part of that. People lose stuff. It's rare to find a bike with a title if it's a few years old Id say. Also. Just grab the vin and make sure it's not stolen. make the guy sign something in the bill of sale says my it's paid off. And don't let him know where you live so he can't send the repo man after it
12/3/2014 6:50am
Always check for outstanding leins! I was a repo agent, so trust me on that. I've taken plenty of "good deals" out of people's garages because the previous owner had "misplaced" the title when it was sold to the person i repoed it from.

The Shop

12/3/2014 4:29pm
I've bought several used bikes without titles. No biggie in the midsouth. Just get all pertinent info on the person selling and the bike itself. Dosnt hurt to write down the guys license plate number too. I always make em show I.d. and write they're address and name down too.
12/6/2014 1:14pm
I've bought several used bikes without titles. No biggie in the midsouth. Just get all pertinent info on the person selling and the bike itself. Dosnt...
I've bought several used bikes without titles. No biggie in the midsouth. Just get all pertinent info on the person selling and the bike itself. Dosnt hurt to write down the guys license plate number too. I always make em show I.d. and write they're address and name down too.
I agree....I would not sweat not having a title....go with your gut and get all the info you can
12/7/2014 6:06pm
Depends what age bike you are buying. I recently bought a 95 kx250 with no title. I wasn't too concerned since its a 20 year old bike and the frame is the only thing that is really "vin'd" God forbid I find out the bike is hot, stolen, has a lein...bring a truck and you can have the frame.
Tpog496
12/10/2014 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2014 1:52pm
I've bought two brand new bikes in the last two years and the first bike all the dealership gave me was a purchase agreement and a owners manual no title on that one. My most recent bike didn't come with a title either but i did get a certificate of origin (whatever that is). If i was buying a used bike I would not expect to get a title with it due to the fact that I didn't even get one with new bikes.
TX24
12/11/2014 6:13am
If I was buying a two year old bike I would expect some type of documentation, if it was 10 years old probably not.
Do get a bill of sale on any bike also, with all details and both sign it.
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
1/13/2015 7:05am
TX24 wrote:
If I was buying a two year old bike I would expect some type of documentation, if it was 10 years old probably not. Do get...
If I was buying a two year old bike I would expect some type of documentation, if it was 10 years old probably not.
Do get a bill of sale on any bike also, with all details and both sign it.
+1

I just bought a used bike in Michigan. Had to pass on first two choices cause they didn't have titles. 2009's. One guy got a bill of sale from a guy in Ohio who told him Ohio doesn't have titles. Well Ohio does have titles and now the MI sec of state and OH DMV will not give him a title. Bike very well could be stolen. Or have a lien on it.
WVUpetro2013
3/18/2015 6:29pm
Some sell without title purely to get around paying taxes on them.
knobby101
3/29/2015 3:27pm
Fuck everything they said... If you can get a great deal... just buy another frame on Ebay.. done deal!
YZ125H1
3/31/2015 9:07am
I always try to get a title with the bike and transfer it when selling. I came across a really nice YZ250 without a title just bill of sale. It is a shame its a very nice bike just wish it had a title.
NHtoWA421
4/9/2015 9:58pm
Check with the laws in your state. Some states require a title, others dont. some states it depends on age. Etc. Ive bought bikes with just bills of sale and a vin check. Not a big deal. Bikes i buy to flip, i get a title.

Post a reply to: Buy a used bike without a title?

The Latest