33yr Old Female wanting to start Motocross!

Hello,

I'm Becky, 33 and yes a female! Wink

I really would love to start Motocross Smile

Am I crazy??? Probably but who cares ha ha.

Is there anywhere I can get advice, help etc?

I am literally a newbie with no gear etc. I am however paying for an experience day (looking at KTM Experience in the Midlands) so any help and advice would be appreciated. I'm not expecting miracles but it looks very exciting, and I don't want to be discouraged but encouraged Wink

Are there any tracks where I can go and watch? Meet new people for advice etc?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Becky xx
|
tomm55x
10/3/2016 4:42am
Your not crazy, you should go for it if you like it!! Gear is important, the safer the better!
agn5009
10/3/2016 8:29am
You're not crazy. Get all the proper gear such as helmet, goggles, boots, knee protection etc. Start out on something easy to ride such as a Honda CRF 100. Start out small, ride in a flat field until you're comfortable. Then hit some easy trails amd logging roads. After some time you'll be able to move to a motocross track. Whatever you do, do not go out and buy a powerful bike you can't handle. And do not just go out on a motocross track and expect to hit jumps. You'll get injured if you do.
tomm55x
10/3/2016 9:57am
One more suggestion for you, and this is my opinion, get to know the theory of riding dirtbikes before getting on one. What I mean is there is a lot of basic things to know about the bike your riding, what controls function what, how it works, riding technique, proper maintenance, problem solving, operating systems and so on and so forth. Knowing how to deal with certain aspects of things before they happen will come in handy, knowing how to fix simple problems when they happen will help immensely. There really is a lot more to just getting on it and hitting the gas, the more you can learn the better off you will be. Patience, lots of patience, in time, if you are really into it, you will become a good knowledgeable rider. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are silly, once again, the more you know the better off you will be!!
KMC440
10/4/2016 4:00pm
Hi Beckerz !
You seem like a cool lady too bad I'm in the states but I've helped a handful of newbies learn on my ttr125. (Trust me it's not my race bike Wink ).

If there's a good dealership in your area start there asking at the parts counter for tracks or races in your area. I have no idea where the "Midlands" are but I'm guessing it is central England. . Leeds-ish.

Ask around if anyone at the dealership knows someone who offers lessons or can take the time to teach you the basics. p.s. watch out for the creepy type ... steer clear if they mention this website Laughing .

Ask every question that comes into your mind and have fun learning slow one baby step at a time.

The Shop

chump6784
10/6/2016 3:25am
I don't know why everyone says to get on a ttr125 our something like that. My wife wanted to start riding, I was thinking along the lines of a beginner 4 stroke, she told me she wanted to do jumps and go on the track so I bought her an rm125. Just recently bought her a yz 125. She's around 5'5" and 120 lbs so not big. She is still slow but at least when she is on the track she has a bike built for it
Kids get straight on ktm 50's and not long after they go to 65's. I don't get why you would tell an adult to start on something they will get bored of nearly straight away
markit
10/6/2016 4:46am
chump6784 wrote:
I don't know why everyone says to get on a ttr125 our something like that. My wife wanted to start riding, I was thinking along the...
I don't know why everyone says to get on a ttr125 our something like that. My wife wanted to start riding, I was thinking along the lines of a beginner 4 stroke, she told me she wanted to do jumps and go on the track so I bought her an rm125. Just recently bought her a yz 125. She's around 5'5" and 120 lbs so not big. She is still slow but at least when she is on the track she has a bike built for it
Kids get straight on ktm 50's and not long after they go to 65's. I don't get why you would tell an adult to start on something they will get bored of nearly straight away
There easy to ride and not as intimidating to most and can reduce the learning curve. There also handy as pit bikes after moving up to a full size bike.
Rockinar
10/8/2016 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2016 7:13pm
chump6784 wrote:
I don't know why everyone says to get on a ttr125 our something like that. My wife wanted to start riding, I was thinking along the...
That fine if you have family to help you learn, do the maintenance, etc. Becky sounds like a total noob with no help or resources. Not someone I would be telling to go buy a race bike, which will probably be used and have questionable maintenance.

A TTR or CRF will be the way to go at first. They are capable of anything well beyond her skills. You can ride a track, or trails, in a field, and theres little to no maintenance.

If she bought a used CR125 off Craiglist and it blows on the first week because the seller did not tell her it needed a new top end...then what?

TTR/CRF is fully capable and will outlast the cockroaches in a nuclear war.
10/15/2016 2:55pm
Hey Becky lots of good advice on here one of the experience days that Dave Thorpe runs for Honda in the UK may be your best bet depending on where your based in the UK? They will provide all the kit, bikes and knowledge before you spend money on a bike without being sure it's for you.

As for tracks there are quite a few in the UK I'm from Somerset and there is plenty within an hour or so Aldo there are always events on you just missed the weston beach race which is pretty spectacular (have a look on YouTube)

Weymouth beach race is this weekend if your anywhere near there and that's free to spectate!

The international dirt bike show is up at stonleigh park in the Midlands from Thursday 27th until Sunday 30th of October that would be an ideal place for you to size up prospective bikes and kit

Hope this isn't too much information but if you do need a hand let me know if you need any links to the above stuff

Post a reply to: 33yr Old Female wanting to start Motocross!

The Latest