2010 vrs 2013 yz450f any problems?

mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
2/23/2015 9:14pm
I own a 2010. Yamaha made some muffler/ignition mapping changes in 2012, but you can pretty much get the same gains with a GYTR programmer and a pipe with the 10' or 11'. If your going to keep it stock, get the 12 or 13 if you can. They also improved the shift mechanism in 12', along with some minor suspension refinements. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same bike.
Jim_Hess
2/24/2015 3:22pm
Thanks for the advise. What do think is a fair price for a 2010 With little to no aftermarket parts?
RyanLester761
2/24/2015 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 5:16pm
I have the 2010 yz450 and I love it! The shrouds are a little wide and the intake is loud, but you get used to it by the end of your first day riding.

I paid $4200 for mine in 2012 and it has everything on it. I feel I got an exceptional deal for sure. I would think you're doing good if you can get a clean stocker for $3700 or less. Hopefully, pick one up for $3400-3500. I think that would be a sweet deal.

The only problem I had was the injector got plugged. I pulled it apart and got it ultrasonic cleaned. Never another problem...

Ok, I lied. The subframe broke at the rear muffler mount. But, I think it was weakened from the previous owner after a hard crash. The subframe was tweaked a bit when I got it. I say, just keep an eye on the muffler mounting bolts bucause that subframe is holding a lot of weight.

This was mine when I picked it up.

Jim_Hess
2/25/2015 6:38pm
Thats a nice looking bike Ryan! I'm looking at 2012 this weekend for $4500. It was a race bike so im a little worried as I try not to buy them, but this bike was just rebuild (top end) new everything tires, chain, sprockets, plastics, wheels, bearings ect and plenty of aftermarket goodies, my main concern is bottom end. Any idea how long the bottom end holds up under racing conditions? There is 60-70 hours on the bike so i have been told

The Shop

RyanLester761
2/26/2015 8:47am
Thanks Jim. My bike had about 50 hours on it when I bought it. I have put probably 30 since I've had it. I need an hour meter. I was told the GYTR tuner can tell you the hours at any time if you plug it in.

I think the bottom end should last forever with regular oil changes. I had a 2007 yz250f, which I raced, it had 150 hours or so when I sold it. I only did the valves twice and a piston 3 times. Never a bottom end problem. That was a 5 valve engine. I think the new 4 valve engines will be more reliable.

I would negotiate the $4500 down, if possible. My buddy bought a bone stock pretty much new (like one hour) 2012, for $4000. He said something to the effects of, "there are 2010's for like $3500 with parts on them and the 2012 is basically the same bike." ...if that makes sense.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
2/26/2015 11:17am
Jim_Hess wrote:
Thats a nice looking bike Ryan! I'm looking at 2012 this weekend for $4500. It was a race bike so im a little worried as I...
Thats a nice looking bike Ryan! I'm looking at 2012 this weekend for $4500. It was a race bike so im a little worried as I try not to buy them, but this bike was just rebuild (top end) new everything tires, chain, sprockets, plastics, wheels, bearings ect and plenty of aftermarket goodies, my main concern is bottom end. Any idea how long the bottom end holds up under racing conditions? There is 60-70 hours on the bike so i have been told
If you can borrow someones GYTR tuner, you can hook it up to the bike and verify the hours - the computer has an internal hour meter.
Bottom ends seem to last a pretty long time on these things as long as you keep your oil changed. I had about 100 hours on mine before I was forced to do it . I had cheaped out on a new piston and ring and bought a Numura Tech piston. It broke in half one day I was riding and took out the cylinder, a few valves, cases and bent the rod on the crank. The crank was still spinning free though. So yeah, the crank is probably the least of your worries on a YZ450. Keep the valvetrain components, and top end in check.
Jim_Hess
2/26/2015 8:04pm
I don't know anyone with a tuner so im going to call my local shops and see if they can tell me the hours for a small fee. New question though the bike was never titled and comes with manufacturer's certificate of origin and purchase order can i get a title? what should I watch out for? I know most race bikes never get titled but I do trail riding and get check for proper tags often and also don't want to buy a bike with a lean on it. He is from Seattle and said paid cash from a dealer in michigan. Not sure why he wouldn't buy from a local dealer??
RyanLester761
2/27/2015 12:11am
I'm not familiar with getting a title from a certificate of origin. Although, I've heard of that fo race bikes or shop "demo" bikes. I would think it's possible. Maybe you can Google it or call DMV.
mxb2
2/27/2015 8:32am
Jim_Hess wrote:
I don't know anyone with a tuner so im going to call my local shops and see if they can tell me the hours for a...
I don't know anyone with a tuner so im going to call my local shops and see if they can tell me the hours for a small fee. New question though the bike was never titled and comes with manufacturer's certificate of origin and purchase order can i get a title? what should I watch out for? I know most race bikes never get titled but I do trail riding and get check for proper tags often and also don't want to buy a bike with a lean on it. He is from Seattle and said paid cash from a dealer in michigan. Not sure why he wouldn't buy from a local dealer??
Buy the tuner, they are easy to sell. if u plan on keeping the bike for awhile its a good tool to have. Most shops charge $80 hr , and pretty sure thats what they will charge you to check it,

Post a reply to: 2010 vrs 2013 yz450f any problems?

The Latest