2002 rm125 crank case problems!! Help

Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 6:27pm
Hey guys just bought this 2002 rm125 and thought id do the top end and found this see photo for I posted to see what I'm talking about, just wondering if it's fixable/ or if there's any DIY methods I could use to fix it my self

Cheers fellas!!!

|
tomm55x
8/6/2015 5:24am
That is not good, you should probably start looking for a used one because I doubt whatever you do to try and seal it up will hold up once the bike is running and getting hot and cold.
8/6/2015 6:04am
Thanks for your reply, yeah was thinking about getting a new crank case! Or even a decent second hand one should have looked at it better before buying it Blink
bronwynrayne
8/21/2015 3:15pm
I think you can either buy a new one, which is expensive, or take it to a machinist, which is also expensive, but maybe less expensive. If they can build up the mating surface with weld and then machine it flush with the rest of the face, you'd be back in business.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/21/2015 7:06pm
I think you can either buy a new one, which is expensive, or take it to a machinist, which is also expensive, but maybe less expensive...
I think you can either buy a new one, which is expensive, or take it to a machinist, which is also expensive, but maybe less expensive. If they can build up the mating surface with weld and then machine it flush with the rest of the face, you'd be back in business.
You are a cool chick

The Shop

KB221
8/21/2015 11:14pm
Don't listen to these people they are obviously in the business of selling and machining cases for Huge profits. Put the cylinder back together and torque to 18.5 ft-lbs then spray flexseal on all the joints you think may leak 2 coats should do (I like the white stuff you can spot leaks easily) If your planning on large jumps and have worn out suspension wrap gorilla tape around the cylinder and case.
bronwynrayne
8/22/2015 12:36am
I think you can either buy a new one, which is expensive, or take it to a machinist, which is also expensive, but maybe less expensive...
imoto34 wrote:
You are a cool chick
Thanks man! Just love wrenching and motorcycles and problem solving really.

And 2fast2furious, do not listen to this dude ^^^^, if you don't destroy the jug and header, you'll probably still end up doing a top and bottom end when the thing blows up, aswell as replacing or repairing that mating surface.
8/27/2015 1:48am
Thanks for the reply bronwynrayne and everyone else!!! I just wanted a quick fix just to get at least 2 more decent rides out of the bike as I've only rode it once after fixing all the other problems it had then finding this dodgy crankcase, and since it's only a 125 I'd rather not put grands in to new crankcasess when I could put that money in to buy a decent 250 2t Cool So I'm really just looking for a quick fix to seal and get 1 last ride before it goes to the wreckers!!
8/27/2015 1:58am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
Go one eBay and buy a lower case. Make sure you buy both sides. They are cast as one then cut in half... So I heard...
Go one eBay and buy a lower case. Make sure you buy both sides. They are cast as one then cut in half... So I heard.

2 min search on eBay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-RM125-RM-125-Engine-Bottom-End-Cases-Crank…
And will 2003 crankcases fit straight on to the 2002 model? I might grab em that's cheap I got quoted $850 for just the left hand side case but that was for a brand new 1
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/27/2015 6:26am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 6:26am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
Go one eBay and buy a lower case. Make sure you buy both sides. They are cast as one then cut in half... So I heard...
Go one eBay and buy a lower case. Make sure you buy both sides. They are cast as one then cut in half... So I heard.

2 min search on eBay. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-RM125-RM-125-Engine-Bottom-End-Cases-Crank…
And will 2003 crankcases fit straight on to the 2002 model? I might grab em that's cheap I got quoted $850 for just the left hand...
And will 2003 crankcases fit straight on to the 2002 model? I might grab em that's cheap I got quoted $850 for just the left hand side case but that was for a brand new 1
Who quoted you that? Midwest Action Cycle has the set (both sides) for $599 USD.

Edit: the above are new parts. Don't know if they ship internationally though
bronwynrayne
8/27/2015 7:35am
850 is insane. Look on eBay. If you fix that problem and don't scrap it, you'll have more cash flow for that 250
8/27/2015 6:27pm
My local motorbike shop I'm in Australia where everything is over priced for dirtbikes and parts lol if shipping and tax fees and all other fees didn't cost a arm an leg I'd buy all the parts from US cause the rm was originally imported from Canada and I know that wasn't cheap!!! Is there any like seal type stuff I can use on cast that might work for abit?

Post a reply to: 2002 rm125 crank case problems!! Help

The Latest