'yea,no' comments..

zippy895
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2012 8:20pm
whats up with rv and stewart.when asked a question in the media, they always go positive 'yea' then follows it up with negitive 'no' ,before starting their answer.
example ... so you come home with that 1500.00 holeshot ! "yea ,no ,for sure, the bike was working great tonight.lol
|
blair683
2/5/2012 6:53am
R.v. is by far the worst guy to interview lol with alot of silence and "uh, ya, ya know, uh" followed by brief silence. But I would rather hear them guys instead of reed's excuses. If reed doesn't win then he was either sick or the track sucked or he just wasn't feeling it haha. But I am sure it is harder then we think to speak in public especially on a podium in front of thousands of people. Plus they have to be very careful with their choice of words to not offend any sponsors.
Overdrive
2/5/2012 6:53am
Yea, umm no I don't really think I can comment on why they do that. Smile
Shawn142
2/5/2012 6:59am
My personal favorite is something that both RV and Blake Baggett do. When listing sponsors they start out with "I can't thank blah blah blah".. but they never finish the sentence with the word "enough". They both just cut off after the last sponsor.

The Shop

Mxfreak24
2/5/2012 7:00am
blair683 wrote:
R.v. is by far the worst guy to interview lol with alot of silence and "uh, ya, ya know, uh" followed by brief silence. But I...
R.v. is by far the worst guy to interview lol with alot of silence and "uh, ya, ya know, uh" followed by brief silence. But I would rather hear them guys instead of reed's excuses. If reed doesn't win then he was either sick or the track sucked or he just wasn't feeling it haha. But I am sure it is harder then we think to speak in public especially on a podium in front of thousands of people. Plus they have to be very careful with their choice of words to not offend any sponsors.
I think when you wrote Reed you meant to say Stewart. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
motogrady
2/5/2012 7:02am
Man, they're racers, not English majors.

pick pick pick..................................
blair683
2/5/2012 7:17am
blair683 wrote:
R.v. is by far the worst guy to interview lol with alot of silence and "uh, ya, ya know, uh" followed by brief silence. But I...
Mxfreak24 wrote:
I think when you wrote Reed you meant to say Stewart. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
Nah pretty sure I meant reed don't worry we no longer have to feell bad for him he is not a privateer anymore
RaceFace
2/5/2012 7:27am
I think we can all pretty much agree that none of them are paid for their public speaking abilities. Even RC and Emig in the booth are full of uhhs, and ya knows. It's part of sports but who really cares what they have to say about what they did out there. Imagine if every day at work we had to spend a half hour at the end explaining what we did. "Yeah, no, I grabbed the computer and started typing, but my neck got tight so I had to, ya know, go stretch and get some coffee. After that I settled in and ya know, found a groove, until lunch hit. That Big Mac just sat there and really ya know slowed me up for the afternoon then the heat was too high and uhhhh really ya know, made me groggy. I made do with the broken copier and just got it done. All in all it was a decent day though. I can't thank Geoff Box at Dell, Acme paper, or Adirondack #2 pencils.......".
zippy895
2/5/2012 7:48am
motogrady wrote:

yea...no... for sure!
ATKpilot99
2/5/2012 8:46am
They should just have Travis Preston there for all interviews instead of the actual current riders.
Mikemad
2/5/2012 10:23am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
They should just have Travis Preston there for all interviews instead of the actual current riders.
X2
abn166
2/5/2012 11:10am
Yeah, no, i have noticed more and more people answering a question with, yeah, no, i mean. How the hell can you answer a question with the positive immediately followed by the negative? Yeah, no, i mean, i just can't understand that. Yeah, no.........
Walter
2/5/2012 11:15am
Some of it is immaturity and a lack of experience with speaking extemporaneously in front of folks (no easy skill to master). Some of it is what they are taught..."NASCAR-speak" as I call it. Never end a sentence with a period (or the reporter might ask another question). Instead, always say "and a" or "but a" at the end of the sentence and then start another preplanned, what you have been taught to say sentence.

Many of the responses are not responsive to the questions asked. The "no..yea..but" is the transition from the question asked to what they are taught to respond with in spite of the question.

Some of the lads even have a team minon crouching in front of them with a board with the sponsor names so they can just spout 'em off.

Sometimes I think I will puke if I hear "I gotta give it up to the team, the guys, Dunlop, yada yada yada..." one more time.

Hopefully, with some time in harness, the responses become more real...
BM255
2/5/2012 1:18pm
It's something you hear a lot in New Zealand and Australia, just part of our slang, I'm actually surprised it's made it's way to the states

Rupert X
2/5/2012 1:27pm
" SHtuff Pro Motocrossers Don't Say..."

" Yeah, you know, my Pirelli tires sucked but were good enough to get me by Chad who pretty much waved me by and

there's really not Red Bull in this water - bottle, but I pretend that there is and dude will you check out the honkers

on this Monster chick standing next to me ? Grade A Winnebagos ! Gotta get out a shout out to my lawyer and

accountant for keeping me safe out there, also this track sucked and we need to start a RiDERS SAFETY COMMITTEE

and can you believe in this day and age this **** still ain't on live TV, regularly ? "
gt80rider
2/5/2012 1:40pm
motogrady wrote:

yup they sure are.... but... when you win, you become the face of the sport to the mainstream....

some would say that MC's charisma on the podium was a big part of putting sx where it is today... MC's epic win streak in 96' put sx on the map of the mainstream, and his charisma during interviews helped change a lot of soccer mom minds that sx was indeed a "cool" "extreme" sport that was acceptable for their kids to participate in...

since then, during RC's reign, he came across as cold and non-personable on the podium... he may have crushed the comp, but did little to nothing in the way of being a charismatic figure to help take mx/sx forward in the minds of suburbanites... same can be said for RV... he's core for sure, but not the best spokesman for mx/sx...

so while it isn't a requirement for RV to give a good interview, it IS one of the responsibilities that comes with winning and becoming the face of sx to the masses...

just say'n....
Crush
2/5/2012 2:53pm
hahaha... Yeah na is common Australian for yes that's right!
dirtnapper
2/5/2012 6:42pm
Walter wrote:
Some of it is immaturity and a lack of experience with speaking extemporaneously in front of folks (no easy skill to master). Some of it is...
Some of it is immaturity and a lack of experience with speaking extemporaneously in front of folks (no easy skill to master). Some of it is what they are taught..."NASCAR-speak" as I call it. Never end a sentence with a period (or the reporter might ask another question). Instead, always say "and a" or "but a" at the end of the sentence and then start another preplanned, what you have been taught to say sentence.

Many of the responses are not responsive to the questions asked. The "no..yea..but" is the transition from the question asked to what they are taught to respond with in spite of the question.

Some of the lads even have a team minon crouching in front of them with a board with the sponsor names so they can just spout 'em off.

Sometimes I think I will puke if I hear "I gotta give it up to the team, the guys, Dunlop, yada yada yada..." one more time.

Hopefully, with some time in harness, the responses become more real...
"some of the lads...."

Well, RV FOR SURE!!

Its painful to watch him say "I can't say thankyou to.................." as his eyes move side to side. Then he forgets to say "enough."

Laughing
Bauer
2/5/2012 7:18pm
I think Matthes is one of the worst yeah-no offenders during his podcasts...no offense to steve. I really enjoy the podcasts, but sometimes they are hard to listen to, such as the Stewart one awhile back during which every other word was, "like"....
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/5/2012 7:20pm
It's just nervous chatter. The AMA doesn't regulate it. It doesn't affect their results. Heck, for all I know, they do it on purpose to see if you guys are paying attention or not.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
2/5/2012 7:37pm
I agree that lots of guys say "ya, no" and Matthes does alot in his shows but no big deal.

There are always some catch phrases that guys use like "superpumped" etc... I think the new one last year has been using the word "obviously". Listen for it, some guys say it all the time.
Mikemad
2/5/2012 7:38pm
I always thought they were saying "ya know" !?!
2/5/2012 8:20pm
GuyB wrote:
It's just nervous chatter. The AMA doesn't regulate it. It doesn't affect their results. Heck, for all I know, they do it on purpose to see...
It's just nervous chatter. The AMA doesn't regulate it. It doesn't affect their results. Heck, for all I know, they do it on purpose to see if you guys are paying attention or not.
Hahaha, true, how many of you have spoken in public forums before? Public speaking is one of the mosr feared things next to dying by most people! Many a big orginsation, send their execs to public speaking seminars, the military taught me!! As a leader, one has to be able to pass on information effectively :p I'm sure many a service person has heard the term " uhmmm is not not answer!!"

Why are people hating on Reed? or Any rider out there for that matter, these folks go through a lot of adversity, very similar to our warriors on the battlefield, only one that has been there knows, the rest just judge!
wacker
2/5/2012 8:23pm
Mikemad wrote:
I always thought they were saying "ya know" !?!
Ya know? I think you just might be right. The rest of y'all just have a hard time understanding some damn motorcrossin' talk.
Grieby54
2/5/2012 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2012 7:13am
blair683 wrote:
Funny you should say that... Did you watch the race today? Catch Reed's podium speech by any chance? Ignorant.
tbonefuller
2/5/2012 8:56pm
as soon as they get to the podium the become robots and say what they have been programed to say... and they have to read pit boards to even remember their sponsors
wildbill
2/5/2012 9:58pm
GuyB wrote:
It's just nervous chatter. The AMA doesn't regulate it. It doesn't affect their results. Heck, for all I know, they do it on purpose to see...
we've lost our attention, years ago.
SEEMEFIRST
2/6/2012 2:09am
Marvin's pretty good at it, and he was raised speaking French. At least he gives you a bit of an answer to the question.

Post a reply to: 'yea,no' comments..

The Latest