why dont neck braces have suspension?

Edited Date/Time 9/21/2014 8:38am
kind of like the 6d wouldn't the use of some kind of cushion to slow the movement down instead of an abrupt rigid stop be more effective? would be hard for the front movement but rearward and possibly sideways could work
|
hillbilly
9/19/2014 3:05pm
I'd rather stick a wheelbarrow tire tube over my head and inflate it than wear one of the "neck braces".

Just dont see how they could change the fate of what is the infinite types of crashes that may or may not break ones neck.

I broke my neck by they way and was paralyzed for bout 2 days,lucky,blessed,dunno.

But,looking at the neck braces I see things that made me steer away.
JM485
9/19/2014 3:28pm
cablecable wrote:
kind of like the 6d wouldn't the use of some kind of cushion to slow the movement down instead of an abrupt rigid stop be more...
kind of like the 6d wouldn't the use of some kind of cushion to slow the movement down instead of an abrupt rigid stop be more effective? would be hard for the front movement but rearward and possibly sideways could work
They do in a way. The brace is not completely "rigid", but rather is designed to flex upon impact, thus slowing the motion down like the spring you are suggesting.
Dx3moto
9/19/2014 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 3:34pm
My brothers theory on neck braces was always that sometimes if you slam super hard and need your body to "roll" (that's one way you can put it), then a neck brace prevents your body from rolling, and instead just slamming.

For example, swapping and landing on your back. Without a neck brace you would land, your feet would go up in the air, you'd kiss your belly but roll over, you might get a concussion, sure. His argument was with a neck brace, you would land on your back and instead of having your head go forward causing you to roll you would slam which would be enough impact in the brain to cause some serious damage.

In some cases, neck braces help, in other ways I don't think it does. It's not like wearing a helmet, it's more like wearing a chest protector. It's up to you to roll the dices and decide what you want to risk.

Wow I went off topic, but yes I think some sort of suspension would help what I just talked about while still helping prevent neck injuries.

The Shop

TeamGreen
9/19/2014 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 4:19pm
Some braces flex more than others...

There are going to be self-appointed scientists and doctors in here telling you what a brace does or doesn't do...go read the technical papers written on the subject versus their Ubber-Net-Wisdom.

I hit the ground, HEAD FIRST, really hard at the Baja 500 in 2011. My doc looked over my assorted injuries, did some homework, looked at my injuries/files/x-rays...AGAIN...

"I like it."

That's enough for me.

*the "key-boards" on iPads SUCK!
Gringoe
9/19/2014 4:34pm
Dx3moto wrote:
My brothers theory on neck braces was always that sometimes if you slam super hard and need your body to "roll" (that's one way you can...
My brothers theory on neck braces was always that sometimes if you slam super hard and need your body to "roll" (that's one way you can put it), then a neck brace prevents your body from rolling, and instead just slamming.

For example, swapping and landing on your back. Without a neck brace you would land, your feet would go up in the air, you'd kiss your belly but roll over, you might get a concussion, sure. His argument was with a neck brace, you would land on your back and instead of having your head go forward causing you to roll you would slam which would be enough impact in the brain to cause some serious damage.

In some cases, neck braces help, in other ways I don't think it does. It's not like wearing a helmet, it's more like wearing a chest protector. It's up to you to roll the dices and decide what you want to risk.

Wow I went off topic, but yes I think some sort of suspension would help what I just talked about while still helping prevent neck injuries.
You never cease to amaze me..

"It's like wearing a chest protecter"

No. Chest pros do not cause injuries
Silliker269
9/19/2014 4:39pm
Did you ever consider that its already a suspension device ?? 2 inches of flexible plastic sounds like an impact absorber to me ... Not saying its for the better but that's how it works
TeamGreen
9/19/2014 5:03pm
Dx3moto wrote:
My brothers theory on neck braces was always that sometimes if you slam super hard and need your body to "roll" (that's one way you can...

Gringoe wrote:

Well, you've got conclusive data to either claim?

You make bold statements; yet, ABSOLUTLEY no real information.

So, S T F U.

Dx3moto
9/19/2014 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 5:09pm
Gringoe wrote:

I meant it's optional, it's not like a helmet where you wear one or you don't. Obviously you wear one. It's like a chest protector as in, it's the riders decision if he wants to wear it or not.
Gringoe
9/19/2014 5:52pm
Dx3moto wrote:

Gringoe wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
Well, you've got conclusive data to either claim?

You make bold statements; yet, ABSOLUTLEY no real information.

So, S T F U.

I'm not getting in a "conclusive data" argument

I'm just saying, I've heard of and seen neck braces cause injuries. I have not seen chest protectors cause any real injuries.
Grizz
9/19/2014 6:54pm
Dx3moto wrote:

Gringoe wrote:

That's not what he meant, but yes they do.
Idaho747
9/19/2014 7:47pm
I had a fox chest protector snap on me and cut me up pretty bad. Very rare case. But it does happen.
hillbilly
9/19/2014 8:35pm
Idaho747 wrote:
I had a fox chest protector snap on me and cut me up pretty bad. Very rare case. But it does happen.
Clear ones,very common.

The bull riding vest i wore was the best,for me.

One time my bar clamps sheared off on a big gap landing and the bolts were like jagged spears,

I crashed my chest down onto them as the bike swapped and dug in, without the vest I would be breathing thru my nipples.
Idaho747
9/19/2014 8:44pm
It was a white one that I snapped

I tried the bullring vest styles after this happened for a while bit I'm a little on the chunky side so it was quite uncomfortable. I switched to the tld under jersey that has the thick pads and I love it.
HazemG
9/19/2014 9:08pm
Idaho747 wrote:
It was a white one that I snapped I tried the bullring vest styles after this happened for a while bit I'm a little on the...

I tried the bullring vest styles after this happened for a while bit I'm a little on the chunky side so it was quite uncomfortable. I switched to the tld under jersey that has the thick pads and I love it.
Link to that model?
JM485
9/19/2014 9:57pm
Gringoe wrote:
I'm not getting in a "conclusive data" argument I'm just saying, I've heard of and seen neck braces cause injuries. I have not seen chest protectors...

I'm just saying, I've heard of and seen neck braces cause injuries. I have not seen chest protectors cause any real injuries.
You have seen a neck brace cause an injury? I would absolutely love to hear what conclusive evidence led you to believe that.

My argument is this. Count the number of EDUCATED people (as in doctors) who support neck brace use, and count the number that don't, you will see a clear pattern.
rjs
9/19/2014 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2014 10:11pm
Atlas neck braces do have suspension.

www.atlasbrace.com

The current models have 10mm of front suspension and the testing proved to be so effective, that on the 2015 models will be increased to 30mm of front suspension, which not only greatly reduces the force caused by an abrupt stop by slowing it down, but also allows for much improved ability to tuck and roll.
Gringoe
9/20/2014 5:04am
Gringoe wrote:
I'm not getting in a "conclusive data" argument I'm just saying, I've heard of and seen neck braces cause injuries. I have not seen chest protectors...

JM485 wrote:
You have seen a neck brace cause an injury? I would absolutely love to hear what conclusive evidence led you to believe that. My argument is...
You have seen a neck brace cause an injury? I would absolutely love to hear what conclusive evidence led you to believe that.

My argument is this. Count the number of EDUCATED people (as in doctors) who support neck brace use, and count the number that don't, you will see a clear pattern.
Yes, multiple broken collarbones that I would say wouldn't of broken with out them wearing a brace. All happening in slow speed falls.

I'm sure it just "saved them" from a horrific neck injury, give me a break.

P.s. Your argument is stupid

P.p.s. Yes chest pros break one in a hundred years... For the most part there is no negative ever.
wow123
9/20/2014 5:49am Edited Date/Time 9/20/2014 5:51am
hillbilly wrote:
Clear ones,very common. The bull riding vest i wore was the best,for me. One time my bar clamps sheared off on a big gap landing and...
Clear ones,very common.

One time my bar clamps sheared off on a big gap landing and the bolts were like jagged spears,

I crashed my chest down onto them as the bike swapped and dug in, without the vest I would be breathing thru my nipples.
you never know that might have felt very good?Kissing the breathing thru your nipples that is.
hillbilly
9/20/2014 7:38am
hillbilly wrote:
Clear ones,very common. The bull riding vest i wore was the best,for me. One time my bar clamps sheared off on a big gap landing and...
Clear ones,very common.

wow123 wrote:
you never know that might have felt very good?Kissing the breathing thru your nipples that is.
Yeah,but roost would been a deal breaker,guess some twinair filters would helped,forced induction.

The bar clamps were made by ferracci and used a stud screwed into the lower clamp. It left one thread exposed which created a stress riser which failed at a very bad time,like there would been a good one.

It was Thursday before LLs and I had just gotten the call from mxsports I was in,coming off a broke ankle I was off pace a bit that year.

It was on my primary bike and since the bars were not there to fall on the bike slammed onto its side killing rad,a Italian made pipe that is a work of art,pump housing.

I told ferracci to send all the stuff to my house for monday. I rebuilt the bike with stock parts,loaded up,went to LLs,signed up,practiced,drove back home since 1st moto was Wednesday at 2 ish, put the trick stuff on,slept here till 4am Wednesday,drove back and raced.

Good times.
Idaho747
9/20/2014 7:52am
Idaho747 wrote:
It was a white one that I snapped I tried the bullring vest styles after this happened for a while bit I'm a little on the...

HazemG wrote:
Link to that model?
To the one that snapped or the one I wear now?
JM485
9/20/2014 8:23am
Gringoe wrote:

JM485 wrote:
You have seen a neck brace cause an injury? I would absolutely love to hear what conclusive evidence led you to believe that. My argument is...

Gringoe wrote:
Yes, multiple broken collarbones that I would say wouldn't of broken with out them wearing a brace. All happening in slow speed falls. I'm sure it...
Yes, multiple broken collarbones that I would say wouldn't of broken with out them wearing a brace. All happening in slow speed falls.

P.p.s. Yes chest pros break one in a hundred years... For the most part there is no negative ever.
I had a feeling you would say they were collar bones, and I'm not going to argue about that. However to me, it is worth potentially breaking a collar bone in a lighter crash in order to save my neck in a larger on.

P.s. What about my argue men is stupid, seems pretty to the point to me. Is there someone we should be looking to other than doctors for information about the human body?
HazemG
9/20/2014 8:25am
Idaho747 wrote:

HazemG wrote:
Link to that model?
Idaho747 wrote:
To the one that snapped or the one I wear now?
Tld
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
9/20/2014 9:51am
Gringoe wrote:

JM485 wrote:

Gringoe wrote:
Yes, multiple broken collarbones that I would say wouldn't of broken with out them wearing a brace. All happening in slow speed falls. I'm sure it...

A chest protector has cut me before, and bruised me badly another time. I guess they are worthless.
bish153
9/20/2014 10:24am
Every time you go to the track and ride/race, you have to except the fact that you may get paralyzed or die. Regardless of what you are wearing for protection, people have died/been paralyzed wearing neck protection and not wearing neck protection. If you feel comfortable wearing one then wear it, but the truth is it is not going to prevent you from being seriously injured or ensure that you will be seriously injured. The only deciding factor in your injury will be your specific crash. Period! People want to think oh if I wear this I won't die, or if I wear that I may die, guess what you are knowingly putting yourself in a very dangerous situation, and you may did regardless.
9/20/2014 2:27pm
One day our bikes will have suspension under the seat, for the pegs , and possibly forks that have backwards(as in movement towards the bike) suspension. The backward moving fork may be a little far out there, but the seat and peg suspension
aint. Its coming..
9/20/2014 2:31pm
Motocross bikes will have suspension under the seat and pegs one day, probably soon. But neckbrace suspension.. idk..might work.
Gringoe
9/20/2014 3:27pm
JM485 wrote:

Gringoe wrote:

JM485 wrote:
I had a feeling you would say they were collar bones, and I'm not going to argue about that. However to me, it is worth potentially...
I had a feeling you would say they were collar bones, and I'm not going to argue about that. However to me, it is worth potentially breaking a collar bone in a lighter crash in order to save my neck in a larger on.

P.s. What about my argue men is stupid, seems pretty to the point to me. Is there someone we should be looking to other than doctors for information about the human body?
Ok genius

Give me 3 reliable independent (not leatts "independent") studies from doctors with experience riding racing and crashing a dirtbike.

Go
Crush
9/20/2014 3:59pm
bish153 wrote:
Every time you go to the track and ride/race, you have to except the fact that you may get paralyzed or die. Regardless of what you...
Every time you go to the track and ride/race, you have to except the fact that you may get paralyzed or die. Regardless of what you are wearing for protection, people have died/been paralyzed wearing neck protection and not wearing neck protection. If you feel comfortable wearing one then wear it, but the truth is it is not going to prevent you from being seriously injured or ensure that you will be seriously injured. The only deciding factor in your injury will be your specific crash. Period! People want to think oh if I wear this I won't die, or if I wear that I may die, guess what you are knowingly putting yourself in a very dangerous situation, and you may did regardless.
Ok Debbie downer, sheesh

Post a reply to: why dont neck braces have suspension?

The Latest