why Nascar segments suck

speed_racer
Fantasy
2104th
1/30/2017 12:34pm
Listening to Weege on the Pulp show talk about how it's not big deal to miss the LCQ for car racers.

He might be missing the fact there was 116 commercials for the 3 hour broadcast.

Commercial time was more than TV racing time in this watchers opinion.

I understand I can't have everything, but missing a race so you can make shit tons more money is cheating the fans.

|
motokawi818
1/30/2017 12:37pm
Why's the supercross goal to be NASCAR and not formula 1 or motogp?
HuskyEd
1/30/2017 1:34pm

JM485
1/30/2017 2:43pm
How the hell does anyone think it's not a big deal to miss watching a RACE, when you tune in to a broadcast of RACING, just so we can see someone talk. I like Weege but are media guys seriously this out of touch with reality?

The Shop

Premix
1/30/2017 2:48pm
I don't mind it at all. Could care less to see the LCQ's or Semi's. I'd rather it just be the two mains, 1 hour, and be done.
1/30/2017 3:08pm
Don't forget the Monster Energy MXGP series as well. Fled and Monster will ruin the sport. The SX's (broadcast) refusal to blatantly ignore anything to do with the outdoor series and them wanting to hold more SX races is just the start of the bigger picture. Hell they don't even acknowledge the riders outdoor titles. SX for the USA and motocross will be Luongo's domain with MXGP being the premier MX series
. Just hope that my gut feeling which is all this is is just that.
Would be good to see Red Bull step up and pump more into the outdoor series so DC can take it to Feld and hold his ground not increasing the rounds but at least keeping what he has.
Ted722
1/30/2017 4:53pm
Ok, here's your crossover segment idea of the week. Have the Nascar or NHRA or any other Monster athlete, be in the booth during the 250 LCQ race. John Force would have been great...."These privateers remind of when I was....".

Before you know it, race is over!

Everyone's entertained, you get to see 250 LCQ, and Nascar/NHRA/etc. get more exposure.
speed_racer
Fantasy
2104th
1/30/2017 5:04pm
Supercross is one big infomercial for Monster with some racing mixed in.

116 commercials?

When you're at the race and wondering why there are so many breaks just remember 116 commercials take a long time to air.

If a commercial is 100k to have air on FS1 then someone made some serious money.

Can someone explain how the commercial money works and who gets it? Does Feld get the TV commercial money?
Mini Elsinore
1/30/2017 5:40pm
^^^NASCAR is tanking.^^^
1/30/2017 6:34pm
I know ill get flamed, but if supercross expands to the point that it kills the outdoor series then ill never watch it again. Compared to outdoor moto, supercross blows total ass. I watch it, but only because thats all the racing available at the moment. Soon as mxgp season starts(i can finally watch it since i have direct tv) then i really, really wont give a giant shit whether i watch sx or not. I will say though that if all the sx tracks were as big and high speed as last weeks track it woukd be a million times more interesting to me.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
1/30/2017 6:44pm
I know ill get flamed, but if supercross expands to the point that it kills the outdoor series then ill never watch it again. Compared to...
I know ill get flamed, but if supercross expands to the point that it kills the outdoor series then ill never watch it again. Compared to outdoor moto, supercross blows total ass. I watch it, but only because thats all the racing available at the moment. Soon as mxgp season starts(i can finally watch it since i have direct tv) then i really, really wont give a giant shit whether i watch sx or not. I will say though that if all the sx tracks were as big and high speed as last weeks track it woukd be a million times more interesting to me.
I do agree that track was the best so far, really like it!
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
1/30/2017 7:56pm
Supercross is one big infomercial for Monster with some racing mixed in. 116 commercials? When you're at the race and wondering why there are so many...

116 commercials?

When you're at the race and wondering why there are so many breaks just remember 116 commercials take a long time to air.

If a commercial is 100k to have air on FS1 then someone made some serious money.

Can someone explain how the commercial money works and who gets it? Does Feld get the TV commercial money?
TV normally works one of two ways. But like any deal each contract varies and can be subject to special circumstances. I don't know the exact particulars of Feld or MXSports deals.

1. The event/promoter pays for the broadcast time and for the production cost and then have the right to sell commercial time. Normally the network will negotiate how much of the 8 minutes per half hour they will keep. Local cable/dish regions have a certain amount of time per half hour reserved that is sold to your local non national broadcasters. This is predominantly how motocross and Supercross TV functioned in the past.

2. The way that Supercross is now done is that Fox pays for the production and buys the rights for all 17 Feld promoted SX races (16SX and MonsterCup) then Fox sells the commercial time for all 8 minutes per half hour. Part of these negotiations also is combining Feld's Supercross partner's 30 second spots. Companies like Monster, Kawasaki, Toyota and Progressive buy both national commercials and event/series sponsorship. Feld is now paid money by Fox to broadcast SX (last I saw was $4 Million per year starting in 2014 for 5 years). That is why there are more restrictions on Internet feeds. Fox is trying to recoup their investment in SX. Fox is an advertising company, so they will try and put a logo on every single segment and squeeze more in broadcast ads.
malachi177
1/30/2017 9:18pm
Premix wrote:
I don't mind it at all. Could care less to see the LCQ's or Semi's. I'd rather it just be the two mains, 1 hour, and...
I don't mind it at all. Could care less to see the LCQ's or Semi's. I'd rather it just be the two mains, 1 hour, and be done.
I'm the opposite. The more racing to watch the better! Besides the lcq's are full of privateers busting their ass to get into the main. Love watching it, and it sucks that they aren't getting any airtime.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
1/30/2017 11:04pm
Here I fixed the title for you:

why Nascar sucks
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
3/11/2017 2:13pm
Supercross is one big infomercial for Monster with some racing mixed in. 116 commercials? When you're at the race and wondering why there are so many...

116 commercials?

TV normally works one of two ways. But like any deal each contract varies and can be subject to special circumstances. I don't know the exact...
TV normally works one of two ways. But like any deal each contract varies and can be subject to special circumstances. I don't know the exact particulars of Feld or MXSports deals.

1. The event/promoter pays for the broadcast time and for the production cost and then have the right to sell commercial time. Normally the network will negotiate how much of the 8 minutes per half hour they will keep. Local cable/dish regions have a certain amount of time per half hour reserved that is sold to your local non national broadcasters. This is predominantly how motocross and Supercross TV functioned in the past.

2. The way that Supercross is now done is that Fox pays for the production and buys the rights for all 17 Feld promoted SX races (16SX and MonsterCup) then Fox sells the commercial time for all 8 minutes per half hour. Part of these negotiations also is combining Feld's Supercross partner's 30 second spots. Companies like Monster, Kawasaki, Toyota and Progressive buy both national commercials and event/series sponsorship. Feld is now paid money by Fox to broadcast SX (last I saw was $4 Million per year starting in 2014 for 5 years). That is why there are more restrictions on Internet feeds. Fox is trying to recoup their investment in SX. Fox is an advertising company, so they will try and put a logo on every single segment and squeeze more in broadcast ads.
The vampires at Fox and FELD just suck every dollar out of every second pretty much.
toroP
3/11/2017 3:32pm
The fact is, outdoor MX is not an ideal spectator sport. And it's really tough to capture in TV. It gets so spread out, and even the commentators get bored and start chatting instead of calling the race. We love it because we just like watching the best in the world ride.

I remember watching an entire race of RV helmet cam. It was like he was alone on the track. And he wasn't out front.

The sport needs someone brilliant to reinvent how it is shot for TV and how it's commentated. Watching lap times only is often more compelling than the broadcast.

SX suffers from the same problems some what. I remember the days of audio webcast and lap times! Rockin'. None of this "the battle for 8th, now the battle for 10th .... battle for 12th", every race. No matter what is happening at the front.

MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
3/11/2017 3:38pm
toroP wrote:
The fact is, outdoor MX is not an ideal spectator sport. And it's really tough to capture in TV. It gets so spread out, and even...
The fact is, outdoor MX is not an ideal spectator sport. And it's really tough to capture in TV. It gets so spread out, and even the commentators get bored and start chatting instead of calling the race. We love it because we just like watching the best in the world ride.

I remember watching an entire race of RV helmet cam. It was like he was alone on the track. And he wasn't out front.

The sport needs someone brilliant to reinvent how it is shot for TV and how it's commentated. Watching lap times only is often more compelling than the broadcast.

SX suffers from the same problems some what. I remember the days of audio webcast and lap times! Rockin'. None of this "the battle for 8th, now the battle for 10th .... battle for 12th", every race. No matter what is happening at the front.

I agree with the whole "the battle for 7th!" bullshit, it gets pretty embarrassing when they have to focus on the end of the pack to show fans good racing. Need to start the fastest guys behind everyone else, we have to punish the fastest guys to have racing or we get stale repetition.
level
3/11/2017 3:38pm
I don't watch any commercials on anything I watch for years. Everything is dvred. People are missing out without one. One of the greatest inventions ever.

Post a reply to: why Nascar segments suck

The Latest