what to do? badly sprained ankle

dedi684
Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 11:41am
Just had a nice non moto get off (kinda) running from bees and rolled my ankle. Xrays and they told me bad sprain and damn it hurts. Lol. Any advice?
|
8/11/2014 7:36pm
dedi684 wrote:
Just had a nice non moto get off (kinda) running from bees and rolled my ankle. Xrays and they told me bad sprain and damn it...
Just had a nice non moto get off (kinda) running from bees and rolled my ankle. Xrays and they told me bad sprain and damn it hurts. Lol. Any advice?
You came to a good place for advice. This place is loaded with Doctors who you should trust with your health. Disregard what that hack of a Physician told you. This team of experts will get you riding by the weekend.
hvaughn88
8/11/2014 7:36pm
Is the RICE method still suggested these days?
dedi684
8/11/2014 7:40pm
dedi684 wrote:
Just had a nice non moto get off (kinda) running from bees and rolled my ankle. Xrays and they told me bad sprain and damn it...
You came to a good place for advice. This place is loaded with Doctors who you should trust with your health. Disregard what that hack of...
You came to a good place for advice. This place is loaded with Doctors who you should trust with your health. Disregard what that hack of a Physician told you. This team of experts will get you riding by the weekend.
Thats funny! Although I wasnt thinking of it that way, your statememt does hold some truth. I guess ill just use my best judgement as I stare at my new ride Sad

The Shop

SKlein
8/11/2014 7:41pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think a good shot of the moonshine would work for this one.
dedi684
8/11/2014 7:44pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I thought I read on virtual trainer that the ice slows the healimg I believe. However i am icing it at the moment.
ando
8/11/2014 7:49pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
It is, although the ice is really only good for immediate treatment to reduce swelling.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/11/2014 7:56pm
Sprained ankles heal fast..give it 5-7 days and you will be fine. Get some anti-inflammatories flowing through your system...
APLMAN99
8/11/2014 8:03pm
dedi684 wrote:
Only advice I'd give is that a guy's ankles are like the foundation of a house. If you have a bad foundation, everything else suffers from it. Do the care and rehab you're told to do, and if possible see a good PT who works with athletes because they seem to understand how important a full recovery is.
TX24
8/11/2014 8:03pm
and keep it elevated.
NHtoWA421
8/11/2014 8:09pm
keep on a steady flow of brown skittles as directed by the bottle (although i usually go with the plus 1 rule), and use it as an excuse to take a couple days off from work and keep the weight off it as much as you can.

and use your new found free time to plan the next mods to your shiney new ktm, and peruse craigslist for your next project bike.

pretty much just listen to the doctor Wink
dedi684
8/11/2014 8:12pm
Thanks for the input. Its a big help. i dont wanna be laid up too long since Ive got a new bike to ride. I wadded hard though when i stepped right off the edge of the lawn onto my driveway and rolled it. Some nasty bees got my father a few weeks ago and ive been battling them ever since. Cant get close enough because they're in my siding and theres no large spaces to spray shit. Pita
dedi684
8/11/2014 8:20pm
NHtoWA421 wrote:
keep on a steady flow of brown skittles as directed by the bottle (although i usually go with the plus 1 rule), and use it as...
keep on a steady flow of brown skittles as directed by the bottle (although i usually go with the plus 1 rule), and use it as an excuse to take a couple days off from work and keep the weight off it as much as you can.

and use your new found free time to plan the next mods to your shiney new ktm, and peruse craigslist for your next project bike.

pretty much just listen to the doctor Wink
Ha, im already using my newfound free time to post here on vital. Smile
As soon as I sell this I might get a 150.

moscrop940
8/11/2014 8:26pm
dedi684 wrote:
Now i am now doctor, BUT, I sprained my ankle 4 weeks ago.

Swollen like a son of a bitch and hurt like hell. Doctor told me my screws were the only thing that kept it from breaking....

Anyways I doubled my dosage of pain pills ( come on, the recommend doseage is just that.....a recommendation)

Anyways stay off for two weeks ( doc said two months) and don't put any real pressure on her for those two weeks. At the end of that put the crutches down and try to walk 10 steps. If you can gut it out, your gonna be alright....if not give her another week and try again.

Remember it ain't broken so those few steps aren't gonna do any real damage if your not ready.

Best of luck to you buddy, I know your pain, mine finally stopped last week
APLMAN99
8/11/2014 8:39pm
dedi684 wrote:
moscrop940 wrote:
Now i am now doctor, BUT, I sprained my ankle 4 weeks ago. Swollen like a son of a bitch and hurt like hell. Doctor told...
Now i am now doctor, BUT, I sprained my ankle 4 weeks ago.

Swollen like a son of a bitch and hurt like hell. Doctor told me my screws were the only thing that kept it from breaking....

Anyways I doubled my dosage of pain pills ( come on, the recommend doseage is just that.....a recommendation)

Anyways stay off for two weeks ( doc said two months) and don't put any real pressure on her for those two weeks. At the end of that put the crutches down and try to walk 10 steps. If you can gut it out, your gonna be alright....if not give her another week and try again.

Remember it ain't broken so those few steps aren't gonna do any real damage if your not ready.

Best of luck to you buddy, I know your pain, mine finally stopped last week
I snapped basically every ligament in my ankle when I was 21. Docs said they wished I had broken some bones because it might have lessened the ligament damage and it definitely would have healed faster. Took about 5 months on crutches but I didn't follow instructions the way I should have. Still paying the price for that today.
Detroit Dick
8/11/2014 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 9:12pm
I've had astounding results with bruising/swelling injuries using Arnica Montana. It's a homeopathic herbal formula, available in pill and gel form. For a bad one like yours I've used them both simultaneously. Seriously, it's miraculous how quickly it reduces bruising. I was a total skeptic when a friend recommended it for bad sprain, but got real results in just two days. Check it out, hope your back on the bike soon! P. S. i am not a Dr., nor do I play one on TV...
2stroked
8/11/2014 9:51pm
Brad460 wrote:
Sprained ankles heal fast..give it 5-7 days and you will be fine. Get some anti-inflammatories flowing through your system...
You've never sprained an ankle before have you? Maybe a tweak, maybe a bruise, but obviously not a sprain. That or my sarcasm detector is completely broken.

Along with a host of other injuries, I'm still not fully recovered from an ankle sprain from this last december. A full eight months and I'm still in pain. I have full range of motion, I have full strength, but it hurts sometimes. It's part of life, and part of the game.

My gf is an emergency room RN. As soon as I came home I was told broken, along with I've never seen bruising and swelling like that before. Xray and MRI revealed nothing broken, not even a fracture. However I did so much soft tissue damage the doctor told me had I gone ahead and just broken my foot and tib/fib they would have me walking in a month no problem.

I was on crutches for three months. RICE is still the preferred treatment. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen for swelling, tylenol for pain. Go see a doctor. Get evaluated. Sprains and soft tissue damage are often time much more debilitating than people give them credit for. Broken bones are bad, but once diagnosed and set ( or operated on) they heal amazing fast. Listen to your doctor. Do your physical therapy.
8/12/2014 6:27am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 6:28am
Brad460 wrote:
This. Had many sprain dankles. They heal up quick.
Cygnus
8/12/2014 6:46am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 6:48am
This is your best friend if you must get back to work ASAP.

I sprained and fractured mine a few days after Christmas and was back on it and working on the day after new years.
Camp332
8/12/2014 7:47am
Bro! Do you really have to ask?

Chest and bicep's every day!
dedi684
8/12/2014 7:59am
Camp332 wrote:
Bro! Do you really have to ask?

Chest and bicep's every day!
Ha, you've got a point Smile
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/12/2014 8:03am
Cygnus wrote:
This is your best friend if you must get back to work ASAP.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/08/12/62097/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I sprained and fractured mine a few days after Christmas and was back...

I sprained and fractured mine a few days after Christmas and was back on it and working on the day after new years.
Agreed! I have a few of these at home. A bit awkward but it makes it pretty damn easy to walk around with a messed up ankle/broke foot after getting a cast off or something like that.
newmann
8/12/2014 8:21am
Cygnus wrote:
This is your best friend if you must get back to work ASAP.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/08/12/62097/s1200_image.jpg[/img] I sprained and fractured mine a few days after Christmas and was back...

seth505 wrote:
Agreed! I have a few of these at home. A bit awkward but it makes it pretty damn easy to walk around with a messed up...
Agreed! I have a few of these at home. A bit awkward but it makes it pretty damn easy to walk around with a messed up ankle/broke foot after getting a cast off or something like that.
This and crutches. Stay off of it as much as possible. Twisted mine so bad in a rut that it broke my damn leg. Leg healed just fine, just cracked the bone with no separation, but the sprained ankle stayed with me for years. Probably was worse than the doc thought in the beginning. Ended up with some arthritis in the ankle and would lay in bed rotating it for about five minutes in the morning before getting out of bed. Forget to do that and the first few steps would bring tears to the eyes.Woohoo
gjbruny
8/12/2014 8:38am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 8:40am
i have sprained ankles many times. i even did enough damage once to require surgery. most of the pain comes from the swelling. if you can keep the swelling down to a minimum, the pain will be minimal. several years ago i sprained my ankle severely 2 days before our annual 4th of july camping trip (i look forward to this weekend of riding more than any other weekend of the year.... great times with friends and family). my wife bought me this particular ankle brace (link is below) and i knew if i could keep the swelling down, i'd be able to ride. i ended up sleeping with it on for 2 weeks but the best part was that i was able to ride with family and friends with very little discomfort ( i wore the brace in my riding boots).

you want to crank this thing tight. for the first couple of hours it will hurt, really hurt....... if you are compressing it hard. as the fluid build up starts to dissipate it won't be that bad at all. sleeping with it is not that fun but certainly worth it as you will be able to walk on the ankle the following day fairly easily. the key is taking it off only for an hour or two each day and leaving it on/sleeping with it on to keep the compression going. if you remove the brace for more than several hours during the first week after injury, the swelling will quickly return. its a pain in the arse but is well worth it considering how much you will be able to do with it vs. just the good old RICE method.

here is the brace i use;

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Lightweight-Ankle-Brace-Medium/dp/B000UVV…
TMV
8/12/2014 8:39am
dedi684 wrote:
Depends on the sprain. If it's as bad as they told you I advise you to take it seriously and follow what the doctors tell you.
I sprained mine really bad when I was 9, the doctor said 15 days without putting weight on it. Got bored and wasn't that much painful anymore 7 days after and started to walk again slowly without crutches.
As a result, I can now only move my ankle from front to back but not from side to side. A pain in the ass to walk on rough terrains or off cambers, or even sometimes on some poorly build pavements. But not that much pain for 25 years.
I'm 34 now and weirdly, the pain woke up a few months ago and I feel it every day.

Post a reply to: what to do? badly sprained ankle

The Latest