what it takes to make motocross decals??

redrider111
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2015 6:04pm
I was talking to my dad today about graphics for our bikes and we were wondering how much it would take to make our own. So... I was wondering if anybody had any info on what type of printers, vinyls, machines, etc. that needs to be used. I've looked around and found some similar forums on Thumper Talk, but they weren't quite exact on the info. Any info would be appreciated.
|
babba boey
11/28/2008 2:38pm
Not to hyjack this thread but I was thinking about making my own motorcycle. What kind of tools and machines do you think I would need?

All of the graphics companies will custom make whatever you need. It would cost a small fortune to do it yourself if you wanted a quality decal.

The Shop

vet954
11/28/2008 3:05pm
I need a new helmet and was thinking of making my own. Any suggestions?
The Rock
11/28/2008 3:07pm
I was talking to my dad today about graphics for our bikes and we were wondering how much it would take to make our own. So...
I was talking to my dad today about graphics for our bikes and we were wondering how much it would take to make our own. So... I was wondering if anybody had any info on what type of printers, vinyls, machines, etc. that needs to be used. I've looked around and found some similar forums on Thumper Talk, but they weren't quite exact on the info. Any info would be appreciated.
You've got one major strike against you not even knowing what equipment you'd use. Unless your father has unlimited funds I'd take the advice offered in this thread about buying them.

There's a lot of good companies out there but I have to give a plug for my friends at DeCal Works. They are not the cheapest but then again the best quality usually isn't.

Their stuff wears extremely well, the design staff is second to none, and there are no graphic companies out there that support the privateers like DeCal Works does.

Good luck!
flarider
11/28/2008 3:29pm
Also keep in mind, corporate logos are trademarked.
Reprinting and/or altering them without permission can cause some issues, especially if you have any plans to sell or distribute these graphics.
SteveS
11/28/2008 3:36pm
You are better off calling or emailing a company like mine. Or any of the big guys as well.

crowe176
11/28/2008 3:39pm
I know how to make Engine Ice for 25 cents. Wanna buy some?
Rooster
11/28/2008 5:28pm
You need a solvent based large format printer, a laminator and a "quality" vinyl cutter. With a RIP that can handle a print/cut workflow. It also helps to have a color spectrophotometer and a good profiling application if you want to get colors that are anywhere close to what you're looking for without wasting a ton of materials dialing in color.

Entry level you're looking at a minimum of 15K + the cost of the rip, spectro, profiling app. The extras will cost you anywhere from 4-15K. That doesn't include the design computers and software either. The set-up I have is easily capable of printing top notch graphics for MX, but I spent about $70K. I avoid doing it because there's not a lot of money in it and it's a pain in the arse. You need special vinyl and laminates that can adhere to the plastics on MX bikes and handle exposure to solvents and gasoline. The stuff is not cheap. Plus you need the dielines. They can be bought, but again like the rest of the stuff they are not cheap. Mine ran about $600. There's another type of machine you can use. A thermal based printer. It prints great spot colors, but hates blends/graduations and is very expensive on the consumable side as it uses ribbons of color instead of ink. It simply can't print photo quality worth a damn. I wouldn't recommend going that route as it's very limiting compared to what you can produce with an ink based system. Although it does allow you to use reflective/metallic foils and print florescent colors. Quality reflective foils run megabucks. Cheap foils, like florescent colors, don't last very long and either fade or look like crap in short order. Plus they're a pain to work with.

Your cost on materials and time will work out to be more than what people can buy non-current graphics for on ebay. It's a very limited market with a large amount of competition. Trying to compete with the guys like one industries or throttle jockey is impossible as they silk screen their graphics in bulk for a price far below your cost. However the cost to screen print a single set of custom graphics is far greater than a digital printer can knock it out for.

If you invest the dough into the equipment you'll quickly find there's far more lucrative use of your time and equipment. Frankly, racers are a f'ng pain. Everybody wants a discount/sponsorship. Commercial work is easier and much more profitable. I can bust out one trade show booth, vehicle wrap or a half dozen banners and make ten times as much as doing a set of custom graphics. With no hassles or haggling and nothing but happy customers. It's nice to be able to do your own, but if you're thinking you can get into the business on the cheap and make a buck off of MX.... well my 20 years of experience in the print business advises against it. A beginner can count on burning through a couple of grand worth of materials, ink, etc. before you get something your customers would consider buying.

If you have the equipment you'd rather print the graphics on the semi than go anywhere near the bikes. Doing one teams trailer(s) would be worth far more than printing the graphics for every pro team.
WSR
11/28/2008 5:49pm
I have a small sign business. You need a vinyl printer/cutter, and a laminator, and a design program. It's time consuming unless you are set up for it, have templates, etc.
I can make them, but still buy them half the time.
squid48
11/28/2008 6:19pm
I was talking to my dad today about graphics for our bikes and we were wondering how much it would take to make our own. So...
The Rock wrote:
You've got one major strike against you not even knowing what equipment you'd use. Unless your father has unlimited funds I'd take the advice offered in...
You've got one major strike against you not even knowing what equipment you'd use. Unless your father has unlimited funds I'd take the advice offered in this thread about buying them.

There's a lot of good companies out there but I have to give a plug for my friends at DeCal Works. They are not the cheapest but then again the best quality usually isn't.

Their stuff wears extremely well, the design staff is second to none, and there are no graphic companies out there that support the privateers like DeCal Works does.

Good luck!
haha. 180 Decals is a privateer!

If he had the name and funds that Decal Works does, im sure he would be in the same boat... (Just hes got the quality thing worked out! His stuff sticks and stays, and looks amazing!)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though...
11/28/2008 7:51pm
Rooster wrote:
You need a solvent based large format printer, a laminator and a "quality" vinyl cutter. With a RIP that can handle a print/cut workflow. It also...
You need a solvent based large format printer, a laminator and a "quality" vinyl cutter. With a RIP that can handle a print/cut workflow. It also helps to have a color spectrophotometer and a good profiling application if you want to get colors that are anywhere close to what you're looking for without wasting a ton of materials dialing in color.

Entry level you're looking at a minimum of 15K + the cost of the rip, spectro, profiling app. The extras will cost you anywhere from 4-15K. That doesn't include the design computers and software either. The set-up I have is easily capable of printing top notch graphics for MX, but I spent about $70K. I avoid doing it because there's not a lot of money in it and it's a pain in the arse. You need special vinyl and laminates that can adhere to the plastics on MX bikes and handle exposure to solvents and gasoline. The stuff is not cheap. Plus you need the dielines. They can be bought, but again like the rest of the stuff they are not cheap. Mine ran about $600. There's another type of machine you can use. A thermal based printer. It prints great spot colors, but hates blends/graduations and is very expensive on the consumable side as it uses ribbons of color instead of ink. It simply can't print photo quality worth a damn. I wouldn't recommend going that route as it's very limiting compared to what you can produce with an ink based system. Although it does allow you to use reflective/metallic foils and print florescent colors. Quality reflective foils run megabucks. Cheap foils, like florescent colors, don't last very long and either fade or look like crap in short order. Plus they're a pain to work with.

Your cost on materials and time will work out to be more than what people can buy non-current graphics for on ebay. It's a very limited market with a large amount of competition. Trying to compete with the guys like one industries or throttle jockey is impossible as they silk screen their graphics in bulk for a price far below your cost. However the cost to screen print a single set of custom graphics is far greater than a digital printer can knock it out for.

If you invest the dough into the equipment you'll quickly find there's far more lucrative use of your time and equipment. Frankly, racers are a f'ng pain. Everybody wants a discount/sponsorship. Commercial work is easier and much more profitable. I can bust out one trade show booth, vehicle wrap or a half dozen banners and make ten times as much as doing a set of custom graphics. With no hassles or haggling and nothing but happy customers. It's nice to be able to do your own, but if you're thinking you can get into the business on the cheap and make a buck off of MX.... well my 20 years of experience in the print business advises against it. A beginner can count on burning through a couple of grand worth of materials, ink, etc. before you get something your customers would consider buying.

If you have the equipment you'd rather print the graphics on the semi than go anywhere near the bikes. Doing one teams trailer(s) would be worth far more than printing the graphics for every pro team.
Yeah what he said!!!!
Moto547
11/28/2008 8:12pm
squid48 wrote:
haha. 180 Decals is a privateer! If he had the name and funds that Decal Works does, im sure he would be in the same boat...

If he had the name and funds that Decal Works does, im sure he would be in the same boat... (Just hes got the quality thing worked out! His stuff sticks and stays, and looks amazing!)

Exactly why I ordered my tuesday Cool
TerryK
11/28/2008 8:27pm
vet954 wrote:
I need a new helmet and was thinking of making my own. Any suggestions?
First, you take one ripe pumpkin, large......................
527ink.com
11/28/2008 9:47pm
ure gunna need about 30-50k to get started, So far i have almost 30k into just equipment alone , along with almost $10k in software none of this is even including supplys.

if you got the design skills and some good hook ups to get ure foot in the door along with the cash then go for it. All in all its not that hard, it jus takes money to get your name out there like custom decals and some of the other smaller guys
11/28/2008 9:56pm
Buy from 180 decals.

All graphics are the same....not designed to survive a crash. Just too look nice.

180 decals is going racing and putting the graphics on his struggling privateer buddies bikes.

Buying graphics from a company with 4-5 page ads in transwordtoomuch or nonracerx is pretty much like skipping Glen Helen to save money for NotAheim 1

It's a fucking sticker and should be $25 bucks. So buy from the owner (or his mom) not from some so called company who invested 30-50k and just one post like 527 ink.

527ink.com
11/28/2008 10:08pm
Buy from 180 decals. All graphics are the same....not designed to survive a crash. Just too look nice. 180 decals is going racing and putting the...
Buy from 180 decals.

All graphics are the same....not designed to survive a crash. Just too look nice.

180 decals is going racing and putting the graphics on his struggling privateer buddies bikes.

Buying graphics from a company with 4-5 page ads in transwordtoomuch or nonracerx is pretty much like skipping Glen Helen to save money for NotAheim 1

It's a fucking sticker and should be $25 bucks. So buy from the owner (or his mom) not from some so called company who invested 30-50k and just one post like 527 ink.

LMAO 180 started out jus like me.....i met that kid a few years ago and he started same way i did,just making mxid stuff......the 1 good thing for him was his dad had money to buy him a vinyl cutter and take him to the races to sell.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/28/2008 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2008 10:17pm
527ink.com wrote:
LMAO 180 started out jus like me.....i met that kid a few years ago and he started same way i did,just making mxid stuff......the 1 good...
LMAO 180 started out jus like me.....i met that kid a few years ago and he started same way i did,just making mxid stuff......the 1 good thing for him was his dad had money to buy him a vinyl cutter and take him to the races to sell.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is going to end badly.
11/28/2008 11:13pm
nothing but love for 527ink.........he did it all on his own and didn't even have to buy a banner.

All good Guy B.

I'm saving the spider venom for the larger game.
4/22/2015 6:37am
$100,000 printer if you're serious and want to produce quality on a large scale.

$300 If you wanna tediously cut it out and do it yourself with vinyl that will peel back three gripped corners into your first ride....
4/22/2015 1:03pm

Wow some serious crap in this thread. Seems like most of the people here are trying to put you off before you even begin. Some of the figures being thrown around are a joke!! Do your research and go for it!!! As a few have said above it can be done with basic equipment, yes there is more work involved but thats life!
huck
4/22/2015 1:10pm
Wow some serious crap in this thread. Seems like most of the people here are trying to put you off before you even begin. Some of...

Wow some serious crap in this thread. Seems like most of the people here are trying to put you off before you even begin. Some of the figures being thrown around are a joke!! Do your research and go for it!!! As a few have said above it can be done with basic equipment, yes there is more work involved but thats life!
This thread is from 6 years ago...
4stroke4DWIN
4/22/2015 1:17pm
I know this is an old thread but got damn! Some of the info is so far off it isn't funny.
Grizz
4/22/2015 1:18pm
Wow some serious crap in this thread. Seems like most of the people here are trying to put you off before you even begin. Some of...

huck wrote:
This thread is from 6 years ago...
Good way to find out who doesn't read before they post!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
4/22/2015 5:54pm
[img]https://images.orgill.com/200x200/6784508.jpg[/img]
LaughingLaughing Works for minibike seats too
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3811th
4/22/2015 6:04pm
The Rock wrote:
You've got one major strike against you not even knowing what equipment you'd use. Unless your father has unlimited funds I'd take the advice offered in...

Good luck!
squid48 wrote:
haha. 180 Decals is a privateer! If he had the name and funds that Decal Works does, im sure he would be in the same boat...

He'll need the same dedication that Ron and his wife had when they really starting progressing. No hit on 180 at all. He's always been nice and friendly with me and I admire him and his company he has made.

It's not always about the funds.

Post a reply to: what it takes to make motocross decals??

The Latest