way to go camera director

CR250Rider
Edited Date/Time 3/24/2014 5:42pm
Over and over again we hear the crowd go nuts and we have no idea why.
A piece of advice: when the crowd goes wild, switch to it!
|
rcm406
3/22/2014 8:20pm
CR250Rider wrote:
Over and over again we hear the crowd go nuts and we have no idea why. A piece of advice: when the crowd goes wild, switch...
I have a feeling it was when James was making passes. By the sound of the crowd, James seemed really popular up in Canada!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/22/2014 8:24pm
They were cheering him as he was going around the track in the latter stages.
3/22/2014 8:27pm
Pretty sure the crowd was just cheering cause they were super pumped on Stewart's ride! I don't think they were cheering for anything in particular.
Gbizzle
3/22/2014 8:28pm
What was with that roar about 2 laps after James took the lead and after Villopoto passed Peick. Never showed anything?

The Shop

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/22/2014 8:35pm
GuyB wrote:
They were cheering him as he was going around the track in the latter stages.
That's what I was thinking. Cause I kept hearing cheers but it didn't look like any passing was going on at that time.
Old-Man
3/22/2014 8:36pm
The stadium's TV was on a chick given a BJ. TV can't catch it all. Lotta action tonight that's for sure. Last week was a bit on the oh hum side this week delivered for sure.
yzjs7
3/22/2014 9:24pm
Notice the pro circuit guys trying to get them to stop filming him
sharkey
3/22/2014 9:38pm
yzjs7 wrote:
I think that's good, more teams should do it
bullpen658
3/22/2014 9:43pm
Or how about when they'd cut away from the actual racing to watch a replay and as the commentators are telling us "now watch how his front wheel . . . . " and then they stop the replay without showing you what the commentator was saying so that they can go back to the racing to watch nothing happen since the actual racing / passing happened while we were watching the replay that got cut short?
yz414
3/22/2014 10:00pm
bullpen658 wrote:
Or how about when they'd cut away from the actual racing to watch a replay and as the commentators are telling us "now watch how his...
Or how about when they'd cut away from the actual racing to watch a replay and as the commentators are telling us "now watch how his front wheel . . . . " and then they stop the replay without showing you what the commentator was saying so that they can go back to the racing to watch nothing happen since the actual racing / passing happened while we were watching the replay that got cut short?
or the "pass of the race" on lap 13 damn that pisses me off
oldAFI
3/22/2014 11:16pm
CR250Rider wrote:
Over and over again we hear the crowd go nuts and we have no idea why. A piece of advice: when the crowd goes wild, switch...
No doubt! So frustrating!
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
3/22/2014 11:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 11:58pm
"Pass of the race" before the "race" is over.... lame promo bullshit....

Frustrating to hear the crowd screaming, but the camera and announcers just keep on task.

But that is the shit part about live SX coverage, they cannot anticipate every "big" pass or crash. And even if they reacted quickly and showed what just "happened", then they might miss the next pass or crash?

Like most everything in life, it sure is easy to look back and say you would have done it better.... but in that split second director chair maybe it is not so easy?
40Plus_922mx
3/22/2014 11:41pm
I especially love when tbey are panning along with the pace of the riders and as the guy who is falling out of frame is cart wheeling they keep following the riders instead of holding it steady and capturing the wreck. Over and over again.
dboivin
3/22/2014 11:50pm
I especially love when tbey are panning along with the pace of the riders and as the guy who is falling out of frame is cart...
I especially love when tbey are panning along with the pace of the riders and as the guy who is falling out of frame is cart wheeling they keep following the riders instead of holding it steady and capturing the wreck. Over and over again.
guessing you seen the 1st lap of the one of the 250 races, someone cased that triple hard and ate it. Right side of the camera caught it but they just kept moving. I think it was heat 1. When a guy goes down that hard in that spot and theres 18 other bikes behind, they might wanna talk about it.
Hut
3/22/2014 11:50pm
Jenny was badass again! I liked how she left AC alone when he was out of it (too bad they didn't cut the camera off too) Erin would have went over and stuck a mic in his face immediately.
3/22/2014 11:53pm
Yeah, it was a little frustrating to watch tonight. I wanted to see more of the battle of Dungey and Barcia towards the end once we knew Bubba was going to win. How about watching some more of Poto working through the pack, and of course what people above are complaining about. My biggest gripe though was their was no position scroll during the big bikes class, not until the very last lap did it pop up. Overall for the year it hasn't been too bad...tonight was just a bad night I hope.
enketchum
3/23/2014 12:40am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2014 12:41am
It is hard to sit in the directing chair. Depending on what their set up is, they probably have one guy calling shots to camera men and telling the board operator what to do. If it's a small operation, the director could be running the board too. They could have sub banks of spotters calling good shots from their bank to the director. Hopefully Hopefully they have someone controlling white balance and iris on their own, or several depending on the number of cameras.

I am guessing the camera operators are all Union men and do not know what supercross is. They are just following who or what they are told to follow. Based on the camera work, I think they are professional camera operators who do not work for Feld.
3/23/2014 1:53am
Camera direction the last few races has been HORRIBLE. I did not think it could get worse. It did.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/23/2014 4:29am
Jeez, you guys are thinking in hindsight.

NOBODY, knows what's going to happen. If you hear the crowd cheer, chances are it has already happened, and if they cut to it it will just give more reason for people to whine.

Most the time, if the crowd cheers and we are watching it, we see the reply of what we missed.

last night, most the cheers you heard were from people coming up short or crashing in the whoops which was covered in replays.

In the main, it was for Stewart and the rythms he was doing differently and his charge, which, once it was noticed we watched.

If you were there live, you would have missed all those reasons for cheers with no replays.

Lighten up whiners......
freeh
3/23/2014 5:06am
Last night's production sucked. Why show Barcia ride around with no one challenging him for several laps when a more interesting story would have been to follow RV? That should have been obvious, and not hindsight, to anyone who follows the sport. Showing the pass of the race before the race is over is lame. Showing replays during the race is lame. Just show the damn race, and focus on battles for position. It really is that simple.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/23/2014 6:13am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2014 6:28am
freeh wrote:
Last night's production sucked. Why show Barcia ride around with no one challenging him for several laps when a more interesting story would have been to...
Last night's production sucked. Why show Barcia ride around with no one challenging him for several laps when a more interesting story would have been to follow RV? That should have been obvious, and not hindsight, to anyone who follows the sport. Showing the pass of the race before the race is over is lame. Showing replays during the race is lame. Just show the damn race, and focus on battles for position. It really is that simple.
Really?

Then what about all the whiners that don't see what is happening when the crowd roars or oohs and awes?

No replays during the race? Hmmm.

The honest answer here is it will NEVER be perfect for everybody. Especially when a race had so much going as last night. I don't want to watch RV ride around in 6th after hearing for the thousandth time he has been sick all day. He wasn't doing anything but being steady. Just like the leader (Barcia) was. Stick with the leader, or do as they did and start covering the guy who came from tenth and demolished the field.

It amazes me that people (not necessarily you) can complain about the coverage as if they would be able to have the cameras in the right people at the right time in a live broadcast.

People just like to complain. If Feld PaId people to watch, they would complain they weren't getting paid enough. People always find something to gripe about.
3/23/2014 6:25am
freeh wrote:
Last night's production sucked. Why show Barcia ride around with no one challenging him for several laps when a more interesting story would have been to...
You've got to be kidding. RV got more camera time than any 6th place finisher I can remember.

I thought the coverage was pretty solid.
hillbilly
3/23/2014 6:57am
I've been complaining about this since race one.

If you watch nascar on fox1 you will see split screen all the time,last week it hit me why not in sx.

It takes good (not sure that's the word) guys in the booth to follow both screens.

The guys in nascar have been doing it a long time.

Our guys cant do it or the director thinks they cant .

When the race is going on the booth guys are not looking at the stadium floor but are looking at the monitor so they miss the passes also if not on screen,
I wish they would just shut up sometimes and split the screen,like last nite when showing RV on one screen.
bullpen658
3/23/2014 7:03am
hillbilly wrote:
I've been complaining about this since race one. If you watch nascar on fox1 you will see split screen all the time,last week it hit me...

If you watch nascar on fox1 you will see split screen all the time,last week it hit me why not in sx.

It takes good (not sure that's the word) guys in the booth to follow both screens.

When the race is going on the booth guys are not looking at the stadium floor but are looking at the monitor so they miss the passes also if not on screen,
I wish they would just shut up sometimes and split the screen,like last nite when showing RV on one screen.
I agree 100% that the split screen is a great idea. They have used a few times this year and I loved it every time. DO MORE OF THAT TV PEOPLE.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
3/23/2014 7:10am
hillbilly wrote:
I've been complaining about this since race one. If you watch nascar on fox1 you will see split screen all the time,last week it hit me...

bullpen658 wrote:
I agree 100% that the split screen is a great idea. They have used a few times this year and I loved it every time. DO...
I agree 100% that the split screen is a great idea. They have used a few times this year and I loved it every time. DO MORE OF THAT TV PEOPLE.
How about 22 split screens. One for every rider?
slowvet
3/23/2014 7:16am
Anybody remember Virtual Grandstand?
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/23/2014 7:26am
If the camera switched from racing to the ooooohhhhs n aaaahhhhs all we would be watching is wadded up riders.

And in reference to the PC guys pushing the camera away.....fuck that. AC is a top pro in a televised sport and if his crew cannot handle the idea of a camera on him then they should have gone to the motor home and out of sight.
malachi177
3/24/2014 10:16am
freeh wrote:
You've got to be kidding. RV got more camera time than any 6th place finisher I can remember.

I thought the coverage was pretty solid.
x2...way too much air time on RV back in 6th . It doesn't matter where he is on the track, they show him. Ah the perks of being a monster athlete in a monster event.

Aside from that, I thought the coverage was good. When they showed AC's shoulder pop back in I was likeSick I didn't want to see that!
TRON
3/24/2014 10:25am
yzjs7 wrote:
Would you want to be filmed after a badass season goes horribly wrong and you're in tremendous pain?

Post a reply to: way to go camera director

The Latest