understanding KTMs (and other enduro type questions)

rutsmash
5/17/2014 4:40pm
Yep I will. I only changed the oil every 30 hrs on my CRF250R. A close friend of mine worked at Honda R&D for last 10...
Yep I will.

I only changed the oil every 30 hrs on my CRF250R. A close friend of mine worked at Honda R&D for last 10 yrs. Said that in endurance testing of motors (with a pro riding them) they averaged about 100 hrs before engine failure. They once got 120 hrs out of one. That's stock, out the crate.

He basically said that I was nuts if I was planning on changing the oil every 5 rides like the manual suggests.

Turns out he was right. And he'd know more than me. It also turns out that those of us whom are hyper paranoid & change the oil every 5 hrs are going way overboard & wasting $$$.
I never understand those that go against the instructions of the engineers that design the bike...please change it more than once every 50 hours!
5/17/2014 6:14pm
Yep I will. I only changed the oil every 30 hrs on my CRF250R. A close friend of mine worked at Honda R&D for last 10...
Yep I will.

I only changed the oil every 30 hrs on my CRF250R. A close friend of mine worked at Honda R&D for last 10 yrs. Said that in endurance testing of motors (with a pro riding them) they averaged about 100 hrs before engine failure. They once got 120 hrs out of one. That's stock, out the crate.

He basically said that I was nuts if I was planning on changing the oil every 5 rides like the manual suggests.

Turns out he was right. And he'd know more than me. It also turns out that those of us whom are hyper paranoid & change the oil every 5 hrs are going way overboard & wasting $$$.
rutsmash wrote:
I never understand those that go against the instructions of the engineers that design the bike...please change it more than once every 50 hours!
I'm not going against the engineers. My buddy is an engineer. I listened to him begrudgingly. He was right.

I'm going against the legal/marketing dept that wrote the owners manual. They don't ride nor do they have a clue in most cases.
5/17/2014 6:23pm
I am by no means qualified to make mechanical recommendations but... We ride every weekend on nice tight single track approx. 30 to 40 miles putting...
I am by no means qualified to make mechanical recommendations but...
We ride every weekend on nice tight single track approx. 30 to 40 miles putting approx. 2 hours on the bike.
My goal is to change the oil at approx. every 10 hours. Even I can do that in 10 minutes or so at a cost of maybe $8

If you stick with the "every 50 hours" oil change cycle, at resale it would be a nice gesture to let a potential buyer that schedule so they can make an informed decision.
I'd be hard pressed to purchase a bike with 99 hours that was just getting ready for it's second oil change.

As a side note, on my vehicles, I do go with an "every 5,000 miles" schedule and have tires rotated at the same time.
I won't be selling this bike. Ever. Its too perfect.

U change ur oil every 10 hrs? I'd say its pretty safe to say that the trail riding ur doing isn't that hard on ur bikes? I dunno. But I know that it can't be harder than the time I spent on my CRF racing MX. And I was doing 30 hrs before changes. To each his own but I think its safe to say u might be going overboard.

I've never blown up a engine yet. And while that might seem odd to some here, I find other behavior odd. Such as free reving a fuel injected bike while at the starting gate of a MX race over and over as the bike is overheating. Yet that same racer also changes their oil every weekend and spends bookoo bucks on parts to make the engine run cooler.

Stay off the rev limiter. Engines last longer and so does oil. Also, suspension works better. Nothing wrong with upshifting.

FWIW, guys who ride 350s over at KTM talk claim they make oil changes every 750-1000mi (roughly 7-10 tanks), equal to about 30 hrs.

I dunno if u read the entire thread or not, but I'm not racing this bike. Its being ridden at low RPMs mostly 6th gear on road. Very easy time on the motor.

And ya, I'm also one of those people that knows better than to change my cars oil every 3k miles. Another waste of money. 10k minimum. Every time. Zero issues.

The oil debate is a classic. Never to be settled. But consider the audience.... Most would spend $1500 on a exhaust that saves 3/4 a lb of weight and makes less HP than stock instead of simply laying off the JackintheBox and losing the weight where it matters, their waistline.
TeamGreen
5/17/2014 6:34pm
The only answer I have on filters: They're the same...on the 450s! That's the only model with which my guys have worked on both brands.

The Shop

5/17/2014 8:12pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The only answer I have on filters: They're the same...on the 450s! That's the only model with which my guys have worked on both brands.
Thanks TG. I appreciate u trying.

I got ahold of Munn Racing and he emphatically told me that I got nothing to worry about. Same filter.

Put another 50 mi on the bike today. Damn I love this bike. I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase.
5/17/2014 8:35pm
I had Munn reprogram my ECU when I went with the 365 kit. Bike runs fantastic.

Oil changes are cheap and give me peace of mind. During changes, I do see a few metal flakes on the magnet..maybe due to my Rekluse. It's nice to check that, if nothing else, to ensure there are no preventable problems that need to be addressed.
G-man
5/18/2014 10:17am
Congrats, pics or it didn't happen!

by the way I change my oil at 10 hours but I do a lot of tight singletrack riding and the engine gets hot from not enough airflow so I don't mind changing at 10 hours and do the oil filter every other change.
lumpy790
5/18/2014 12:04pm
IMO cheap non MC oil needs to be changed more often as it breaks down quickly.

Car oils do not have the sheer additives the MC oils have to keep the oil from breaking down from the constant grinding of the oil between the trans gears and wet clutch.

Thinking about a NEW Husky my self.
PTECH
9/6/2017 6:12am
Bumping this old thread I found after doing a search. I wonder how those 50 hour oil changes worked out for this guy?
dcg141
9/6/2017 8:41am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 8:42am
FC,TC,SXF and SX= MX
FX,TX,XCF and XC= Off road race bike and some MX
TE and XCW= 2 stroke dedicated off road bike
FE and EXC= 4 stroke dedicated off road bike+ street legal

XCFW on longer in production but it was a dedicated off road bike not street legal. Pre 17 FE's were the same.

Hope that helps.
9/9/2017 4:45pm
PTECH wrote:
Bumping this old thread I found after doing a search. I wonder how those 50 hour oil changes worked out for this guy?
Zero issues for me. Or the guy I sold the bike too (yeah I sold the bike even tho I said I would never do so, got another 350 coming soon).

As Ive said, Ive never blown up a motor. Then again, I also upshift when necessary.
9/9/2017 5:25pm
Why is this confusing for you, I learned it after staring at the website for five minutes. And for the cross country thing thats like GNCC and hare scrambled which is different than enduro in a way.
FTB
9/9/2017 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2017 6:01pm
1. I dont really understand the designations of KTMs. I get that the SX-F line purpose is moto/sx XC stands for Cross Country but what does...
1. I dont really understand the designations of KTMs.

I get that the SX-F line purpose is moto/sx

XC stands for Cross Country but what does that really mean??? What is that bikes intended purpose? I mean, what is the difference between cross country & enduro?

The W stands for wide ratio transmission, but does that mean the EXC-F doesn't have a wide ratio despite being a dual sport?

Their shit is super confusing when trying to figure out which bike best suits a persons needs.

2. Is it relatively simple to convert a enduro bike to a supermoto bike? I'm in the market to buy a bike this week. It has to have off road capabilities but I will also be taking it on stretches of normal paved road (appx 15-30 mi per day). If I were to buy a enduro (with headlight) model bike could I simply throw supermotard tires on it or does it require different rims and other convertion needs? I do not care about being street legal, this bike will be used in a rural area where it won't be necessary.

3. The easiest bike for me to get would be a Honda XR 250 (now called CRF-L). Bulletproof, cheap, etc. (Does it have electric start tho?)

Does KTM make any off road bikes that have bulletproof motors like that or are all of their bikes high strung or slightly detuned enduro versions of their motocross engines with different transmissions?

I'm looking at the 350 EXC-F as my primary choice and I'm wondering how often I'm going to be changing the oil on that bike?

What is the difference between the 350 EXC-F and the 350 XCF-W? From the pictures it seems one is street legal and one isn't. But a noob could easily make that same mistake when comparing a CRF-F & CRF-R.

The bike I REEEEALLY want is the Husky FE 350. I'm assuming this is just Husky plastics on a KTM but I'm not sure which model is the KTM equivalent. I'm not sure how reliable the motor is in this sorta application. And if the transmission is a semi-wide or true wide ratio that would do OK on long stretches of pavement.

I'd be totally stoked to be able to make the Husky FE 350 more of a supermotard, if possible, or if there are some knobbies that are made for what I'm looking to use this bike for. But if this bike requires a oil change every 20 hrs then it might not be too practical. Maybe the KTM EXC-F would be smarter? Or simply go the Honda route and play it safe.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

Oh, and I know this isn't exactly "moto", but I do know a lot of the people in this forum ride off road etc.

(Quote) "The W stands for wide ratio transmission, but does that mean the EXC-F doesn't have a wide ratio despite being a dual sport?"

AFAIK. The XCW has a wide ratio 5 speed. The EXC has a 6 speed.
PTECH
9/9/2017 6:28pm
Zero issues for me. Or the guy I sold the bike too (yeah I sold the bike even tho I said I would never do so...
Zero issues for me. Or the guy I sold the bike too (yeah I sold the bike even tho I said I would never do so, got another 350 coming soon).

As Ive said, Ive never blown up a motor. Then again, I also upshift when necessary.
How many hours did you put on it total? Did it use oil between the 50 hour oil changes? I just changed the oil on my ktm after 15 hours and it was remarkably clean still. My first few changes I did 7.5 hours like the book recommends. Then I went to 10 hours and I was planning on sticking with it that, I only went 15 hours on accident but I may go to that now. It would be interesting to see an oil analysis done on 50 hour oil!
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
9/9/2017 6:46pm
Zero issues for me. Or the guy I sold the bike too (yeah I sold the bike even tho I said I would never do so...

If you change oil at 50 hours does that mean you do a top end at 500? How much time do you go on internal engine parts?
9/12/2017 9:18am

PTECH wrote:
How many hours did you put on it total? Did it use oil between the 50 hour oil changes? I just changed the oil on my...
How many hours did you put on it total? Did it use oil between the 50 hour oil changes? I just changed the oil on my ktm after 15 hours and it was remarkably clean still. My first few changes I did 7.5 hours like the book recommends. Then I went to 10 hours and I was planning on sticking with it that, I only went 15 hours on accident but I may go to that now. It would be interesting to see an oil analysis done on 50 hour oil!
I wanna say I did close to 200 hours total on the bike.

The explanation by a OEM engineer was this:

- not everything in the owner's manuals are written by techs. Some stuff is written by the bean counters
- they are more worried about warranty issues than they are worried about your wallet, so they play everything on the super safe side
- one of the ways they do this is to ask that you change the oil hyper-frequently. They have to cater everything to the lowest common denominator. They wrote those recommendations for the knucklehead that doesnt warm up his bike, doesnt do a proper break in of the motor, and lives in 2nd gear no matter where he is on the track.

Four-strokes tend to have pretty loose fitting pistons these days because they all run so damn hot, which leads to a lot of blowby until the engine gets up to temperature. That fuel mixing with the engine oil Im gonna safely assume isnt a good thing. Simply not warming up your bike properly is going to break down your oil faster. Ask yourself how many people actually warm up their bikes? Taking the extra moment to let the bike idle so my oil doesnt get gas in it is just one of a few ways I avoid having to change the oil every other ride.

I think a lot of it depends on how you ride. I go easy on my bikes. But heck, go check out a world enduro race sometime. Those guys put their airfilters & engine oil thru hell and the bikes do just fine. Those are the gnarliest conditions a bike can be put thru and while they get their filters & oil changed during the races, the time in between can be several hours of hell on the engines. I dont think the weekend warrior even comes close in comparison.
9/12/2017 9:26am

If you change oil at 50 hours does that mean you do a top end at 500? How much time do you go on internal engine...
If you change oil at 50 hours does that mean you do a top end at 500? How much time do you go on internal engine parts?
Honestly, Ive never ever done any internal engine parts maintenance. Each and every time Ive had my top end looked at I was told it was in good shape and any sort of rebuild would be a waste of money.

I think a lot can be said for letting the bike warm up properly and upshifting. I truly believe that the "4strokes are timebombs" problems are user created.

Everyone knows that a bike will last longer at lower RPM's. 4strokes have plenty of torque to live in the mid RPM range. And suspension is easier to set up and works better at lower RPM's. Learning to ride that way has so many benefits but to each his own. I think it's understandably hard for most to shake the 2stroke habits.

Post a reply to: understanding KTMs (and other enduro type questions)

The Latest