''suzuki ''never won in san diego?

zippy895
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2013 12:19pm
i wonder how "rockstar energy drink " team feels about that advertisement on air.
|
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/10/2013 7:49am
zippy895 wrote:
i wonder how "rockstar energy drink " team feels about that advertisement on air.
Probably great because they won for the first time with Rockstar Energy Drink pasted all over the place..
dak446
2/10/2013 5:22pm
I agree w/ OP on this. Ralph was going ape shit about this 'statistic'. It was kind of a slight against the Rockstar Energy team because they've specified several times that they're not supported by Suzuki whatsoever.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
2/10/2013 5:28pm
They may not be supported by Suzuki, but they are still riding Suzuki's It is a fact.

So don;t see the problem with a commentator announcing a Fact during a race broadcast.

On Saturday night for the first time in AMA supercross history a Suzuki won the main event for the first time. Whether Suzuki give the team factory support or not does not change the fact that the bike is a Suzuki.
ATKpilot99
2/10/2013 5:48pm
It's not unusual to throw out stats like that. Suzuki doesn't have the greatest record in SX. Aren't the titles won by Barnett and RC the only big bike SX titles they have ?

The Shop

MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
2/10/2013 5:51pm
dak446 wrote:
I agree w/ OP on this. Ralph was going ape shit about this 'statistic'. It was kind of a slight against the Rockstar Energy team because...
I agree w/ OP on this. Ralph was going ape shit about this 'statistic'. It was kind of a slight against the Rockstar Energy team because they've specified several times that they're not supported by Suzuki whatsoever.
So what brand of bike should they put into the race stats? What if Short wins a race, are they allowed to say he rode a Honda. DUH.

If you look at Suzuki's website they list 3 Suzuki race teams:
Yoshimura Suzuki Racing
RCH Racing
Rockstar Energy Racing

They may not have factory bikes but they are a Suzuki team.
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Racing/Motocross/TeamSuzuki/RockstarEnergy…
level
2/10/2013 5:54pm
I was a little confused by Shaheen going apeshit and saying Suzuki over and over and over. I could almost feel Emig cringing because Emig went out of his way in the 250f class not to say Suzuki when he mentioned the Rockstar team.
dak446
2/10/2013 5:56pm
dak446 wrote:
I agree w/ OP on this. Ralph was going ape shit about this 'statistic'. It was kind of a slight against the Rockstar Energy team because...
MXVet261 wrote:
So what brand of bike should they put into the race stats? What if Short wins a race, are they allowed to say he rode a...
So what brand of bike should they put into the race stats? What if Short wins a race, are they allowed to say he rode a Honda. DUH.

Yoshimura Suzuki Racing
RCH Racing
Rockstar Energy Racing

I understand that, and I'm not disputing that the bike Davi is riding is a Suzuki. The point is this: Ralph should be announcing that Rockstar Energy has never won a 450 main at San Diego, not Suzuki. The team deserves the credit, not the manufacturer.
Hut
2/10/2013 5:58pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
It's not unusual to throw out stats like that. Suzuki doesn't have the greatest record in SX. Aren't the titles won by Barnett and RC the...
It's not unusual to throw out stats like that. Suzuki doesn't have the greatest record in SX. Aren't the titles won by Barnett and RC the only big bike SX titles they have ?
Dungey got one for them.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
2/10/2013 5:59pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
It's not unusual to throw out stats like that. Suzuki doesn't have the greatest record in SX. Aren't the titles won by Barnett and RC the...
Dungey
NP301
2/10/2013 6:07pm
zippy895 wrote:
What should have been said is instead of a suzuki rider never won. It should have been, a rider riding a suzuki has never won here.
Switch
2/10/2013 6:10pm
dak446 wrote:
MXVet261 wrote:
So what brand of bike should they put into the race stats? What if Short wins a race, are they allowed to say he rode a...

Yoshimura Suzuki Racing
RCH Racing
Rockstar Energy Racing

dak446 wrote:
I understand that, and I'm not disputing that the bike Davi is riding is a Suzuki. The point is this: Ralph should be announcing that Rockstar...
I understand that, and I'm not disputing that the bike Davi is riding is a Suzuki. The point is this: Ralph should be announcing that Rockstar Energy has never won a 450 main at San Diego, not Suzuki. The team deserves the credit, not the manufacturer.
They weren't "giving credit" really, though. They were just stating a fact that Suzuki, over years and years of competition in supercross, have never won at that venue. Ralph never said Davi won because he was on a Suzuki, nor did he say he was a suzuki supported rider ( I don't think).. he was just commenting that this would be the brands first win in San Diego.
Hut
2/10/2013 6:16pm
I seem to remember him saying that James and Davi are currently team mates.
ATKpilot99
2/10/2013 6:21pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
yak651 wrote:
Dungey
Ah that's right...pretty recent too, lol. Still SX has been pretty lean for Suzuki compared to the other Japanese brands.
Wolfman
2/10/2013 6:42pm
Hut wrote:
I THINK he said former teammates.
MX4EVR
2/10/2013 6:45pm
The people that do not agree with the OP
Are right in every way.
BUT
If it was me I would run with all the markings ground off, covered up or whatever on my bike for those who don't pay for results on there bike or bike parts.
If you won a NHRA Funny car race with a blank car twice in less than half a season the checks would be in the mailbox and the car would have a new look real fucking quick.
I think the things missing from modern day supercross race teams is some smart professional reperesentaion from real agents or a good attorney.
dak446
2/10/2013 6:49pm
Switch wrote:
They weren't "giving credit" really, though. They were just stating a fact that Suzuki, over years and years of competition in supercross, have never won at...
They weren't "giving credit" really, though. They were just stating a fact that Suzuki, over years and years of competition in supercross, have never won at that venue. Ralph never said Davi won because he was on a Suzuki, nor did he say he was a suzuki supported rider ( I don't think).. he was just commenting that this would be the brands first win in San Diego.
Ralph's way of proclaiming it was what rubbed me the wrong way. He could have said it once and it would have been fine, but I seem to remember him harping on it a bit too much.
dirtnapper
2/10/2013 7:05pm
Hut wrote:
Wolfman wrote:
I THINK he said former teammates.
You sure he didn't say "stable mates"? Whistling
Choppy
2/10/2013 7:08pm
What bike does he ride?
; End of discussion. :
Scicchi
2/10/2013 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2013 7:35pm
What bike does he ride?
; End of discussion. :

Sorry.

With as much money as sponsors are putting out(and into this sport), there is no way in the world I would be happy with them mentioning "Suzuki" and "first time Suzuki won here", if there are not giving Rockstar any help or sponsoring them in any way. I don't care what kind of bike he rides. The sport, like most if not all other forms of motorsports, runs on money from sponsors. They hope to get advertising by their name/product being discussed in some form or another.

IF Suzuki gives nothing to Rockstar(and I'm guessing not since Davi has their name nowhere in the camera shot area of himself nor thanks them for anything), Suzuki just got a boatload of advertising with hundreds of thousands of viewers because of Ralph and Erin going on about "Suzuki's first win" there...for free!!!

Everyone knows he rides a Suzuki, but sponsors pay huge money in hopes to have their name mentioned once, and Suzuki just paid nothing for numerous mentions in a 2 minute span. Not cool.

If Suzuki does provide help with anything, completely different story.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
2/10/2013 7:36pm
dak446
2/10/2013 7:43pm
Scicchi wrote:
[quote]What bike does he ride? ; End of discussion. : [/quote] Sorry. With as much money as sponsors are putting out(and into this sport), there is...
What bike does he ride?
; End of discussion. :

Sorry.

With as much money as sponsors are putting out(and into this sport), there is no way in the world I would be happy with them mentioning "Suzuki" and "first time Suzuki won here", if there are not giving Rockstar any help or sponsoring them in any way. I don't care what kind of bike he rides. The sport, like most if not all other forms of motorsports, runs on money from sponsors. They hope to get advertising by their name/product being discussed in some form or another.

IF Suzuki gives nothing to Rockstar(and I'm guessing not since Davi has their name nowhere in the camera shot area of himself nor thanks them for anything), Suzuki just got a boatload of advertising with hundreds of thousands of viewers because of Ralph and Erin going on about "Suzuki's first win" there...for free!!!

Everyone knows he rides a Suzuki, but sponsors pay huge money in hopes to have their name mentioned once, and Suzuki just paid nothing for numerous mentions in a 2 minute span. Not cool.

If Suzuki does provide help with anything, completely different story.
I agree with this view. It's important to support the people who support the sport. It is apparent Suzuki isn't supporting these guys, Motoconcepts, or any other Suzuki team (with the exception of Yoshimura). Scicchi's post is right on; they got tons of free advertising because the broadcasting team was too wrapped up in a silly stat instead of focusing on the people that deserve credit.
fader418
2/10/2013 7:49pm
Six still supports Rockstar's 250 team...
Choppy
2/10/2013 8:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2013 8:08pm
Unless these teams have spent millions and millions of dollars to make their own dirt bike the amount of money they put in is minimal at best compared to what the factories spend to develop, and market a bike.

If a rider is on X bike they won on X bike if we want to be mathematically / statistically correct.
2/10/2013 8:09pm
Tbe problem is the "Suzuki is going to win their first ever San Diego SX." That is wrong. Rockstar Energy Racing won their first San Diego SX. It just happened to be on a Suzuki. How can Suzuki win something they didn't pay for or support? Suzuki didn't win shit. The dude doesn't even get access to the "Suzuki" test track (I'm talking semantics here).
Choppy
2/10/2013 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2013 8:15pm
Tbe problem is the "Suzuki is going to win their first ever San Diego SX." That is wrong. Rockstar Energy Racing won their first San Diego...
Tbe problem is the "Suzuki is going to win their first ever San Diego SX." That is wrong. Rockstar Energy Racing won their first San Diego SX. It just happened to be on a Suzuki. How can Suzuki win something they didn't pay for or support? Suzuki didn't win shit. The dude doesn't even get access to the "Suzuki" test track (I'm talking semantics here).
If you bolt on parts to a Suzuki it's no longer a Suzuki?

How much has Suzuki spent for teams to be able to buy a Suzuki and race it?( marketing development and everything else)
dak446
2/10/2013 8:23pm
Tbe problem is the "Suzuki is going to win their first ever San Diego SX." That is wrong. Rockstar Energy Racing won their first San Diego...
That's kind of what this thread is getting at. @ Choppy, nobody said anything about being 'statistically correct'. I don't think anyone here is disputing the fact that it was a machine manufactured at a Suzuki factory. It has to do with the presentation of the team.

This same conversation took place on this site during the summer regarding Alessi and his Motoconcepts bike. Genova's team is in the same position, and when Mike was doing well outdoors, the situation was similar. As I understand it, they prefer not to acknowledge the bike manufacturer because they are not supported (monetarily or with parts) by either Suzuki or Honda.
2/10/2013 8:26pm
Choppy wrote:
If you bolt on parts to a Suzuki it's no longer a Suzuki? How much has Suzuki spent for teams to be able to buy a...
If you bolt on parts to a Suzuki it's no longer a Suzuki?

How much has Suzuki spent for teams to be able to buy a Suzuki and race it?( marketing development and everything else)
That is the small minded thinking that's ruining the sport IMO. Instead of having 20-30 "teams" we have 5 manufacturers that take/get the glory for everything. I bet Rockstar and Bobby would rather they heard "this is going to be Rockstar Racing's first win at San Diego (unless they're hoping for future support and don't want to finish burning the bridge). If they were on Honda's in three years and won it should still be Rockstar Racing second win at San Diego. If it can be called the Suzuki test track, not the Factory Suzuki test track, and they are not allowed to ride at it... fuck em.
2/10/2013 8:31pm
Its all over the place with announcing. Isnt BTO getting KTM support? You'd never know listening to the broadcast but you would think Davi's team has Suzuki support they way they reference it.
STBY
2/10/2013 8:36pm
It's Feld's fault, Ralph has a producer in his ear telling him what to say... Monster Energy is the title sponsor for supercross and there are contractual obligations to monster... Anyone remember them not letting Pastrana ride during opening ceremonies because of his red bull sponsorship and blurring the Red Bull logo on his hat out during an interview several years ago? Rockstar was not mentioned once and I would be pissed off if I owned that team! The powers that be need to pull their heads out of the asses... If teams are not going to get the exposure they pay for then they just go away!

Post a reply to: ''suzuki ''never won in san diego?

The Latest