suspension setup help

Travis250F
1/14/2015 7:33am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2015 4:09pm
growing up I've always raced and rode dirt bikes. The only thing my parents ever did was service my suspension such as change the fork seals in fluids.now that I'm older I want to get my suspension done right, as far as getting it set to me personally.I'm not really sure where to start I know that people change the valves and springs. but if that's not needed yet I don't want to spend all that money.I'm about a hundred and fifty pounds and have the stock suspension on my 2008 CRF 250. Any advice?
|
FWYT
1/14/2015 7:46am
How mechanically competent are you? Seal and oil change is actually really easy.
You'll need a couple special tools but not too much.

If want to DIY and you don't know beans about suspension, first get something like the Race Tech Suspension Bible
and read it a few times. Also, there is this MASSIVE thread on Thumper Talk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/327668-diy-04-450-suspension-re-valve/ that goes through a bunch valving with different people. For a newbie, it looks like gibberish, but it starts to make sense.

Also, are in touch with your bike enough that you can tell what exactly it is that you want it to different?
Because if you're vague in that area, you are going to be chasing your tail. At that point you'll be better off
taking it to a tuner that will work with you.
Xracerdone
1/14/2015 7:48am
First you must identify what you don't like about it. For me, my stock KYB on my yz450 were great, never touched it. When I got a RMZ the forks were harsh. I took mine to local guy Bobby Fitch & he gave me the OMC (old man cadilac) & it was perfect.
bish153
1/14/2015 8:09am
If you are not at the point where you can identify an issue you are having or you are unsure what changes you need to make. Find a local suspension guy that will come watch you ride, and help you set it up.
Grieby54
1/14/2015 8:12am
Xracerdone wrote:
First you must identify what you don't like about it. For me, my stock KYB on my yz450 were great, never touched it. When I got...
First you must identify what you don't like about it. For me, my stock KYB on my yz450 were great, never touched it. When I got a RMZ the forks were harsh. I took mine to local guy Bobby Fitch & he gave me the OMC (old man cadilac) & it was perfect.
I was torn between ART and Airborne. Airborne responded first and so I went with them - dropped the forks and shock off today. We'll see how it works out at the AX race next weekend!

The Shop

Travis250F
1/14/2015 8:14am
i can tear down a bike an put it back together, the only thing i never touched was my suspension. i guess i didnt want to fuck anything up. im taking them to a local guy to service them an get the seals done this week. ive asked a few people these same questions, even a few local pros. some say that it is a MUST to get ur suspension done, others say that the stock should work just fine until i take my speed an riding to different levels. ill probley just service my suspension an ride it like that till i figure out what i like an dont like
TeamGreen
1/14/2015 8:52am
Ride your friends bikes with different suspension set-ups and see if there's simethng out there that feels better to you.
mtl
1/14/2015 9:29am
Depending on how fast you go and considering you're 150lbs, the stock suspension in a CRF250R might be spot on for you...
Travis250F
1/14/2015 10:04am
mtl wrote:
Depending on how fast you go and considering you're 150lbs, the stock suspension in a CRF250R might be spot on for you...
i was thinkin the same thing, from what i understand 150 pounds is about what their stock set for
hillbilly
1/14/2015 11:06am
Travis250F wrote:
i can tear down a bike an put it back together, the only thing i never touched was my suspension. i guess i didnt want to...
i can tear down a bike an put it back together, the only thing i never touched was my suspension. i guess i didnt want to fuck anything up. im taking them to a local guy to service them an get the seals done this week. ive asked a few people these same questions, even a few local pros. some say that it is a MUST to get ur suspension done, others say that the stock should work just fine until i take my speed an riding to different levels. ill probley just service my suspension an ride it like that till i figure out what i like an dont like
Local is good if he has a good rep,does some fast guys stuff and such.

The big thing is setting the rear sag. This local guy should do it for you as a perk for using him. It just takes a few minutes.
jpred
1/14/2015 12:52pm
mtl wrote:
Travis250F wrote:
i was thinkin the same thing, from what i understand 150 pounds is about what their stock set for
If it has the stock springs, I'd say it's sprung too stiff. The Race Tech spring calculator worked for me and getting it sprung for your weight and ability is where you need to start.
P
1/14/2015 1:00pm
Travis250F wrote:
growing up I've always raced and rode dirt bikes. The only thing my parents ever did was service my suspension such as change the fork seals...
growing up I've always raced and rode dirt bikes. The only thing my parents ever did was service my suspension such as change the fork seals in fluids.now that I'm older I want to get my suspension done right, as far as getting it set to me personally.I'm not really sure where to start I know that people change the valves and springs. but if that's not needed yet I don't want to spend all that money.I'm about a hundred and fifty pounds and have the stock suspension on my 2008 CRF 250. Any advice?
Get your sag set correctly in the rear and get the owner's manual and start with the stock settings upfront. Work with that and see where you are and if you feel that you need better go to a suspension guy. That's just MHO. Getting the sag set correctly can do wonders for handling.

P
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
1/14/2015 1:33pm
mtl wrote:
That's what I'm thinking. Stock CRF250 suspension was actually really nice for a bunch of years there. I think it's sprung for about a 165 pound rider. you'd probably be better off about 1 step softer on the springs unless you're pretty fast at 150 lbs.
mtl
1/14/2015 3:09pm
mtl wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
That's what I'm thinking. Stock CRF250 suspension was actually really nice for a bunch of years there. I think it's sprung for about a 165 pound...
That's what I'm thinking. Stock CRF250 suspension was actually really nice for a bunch of years there. I think it's sprung for about a 165 pound rider. you'd probably be better off about 1 step softer on the springs unless you're pretty fast at 150 lbs.
A faster rider will be right at home on a bike sprung for 165lb novice rider.
Travis250F
1/14/2015 3:14pm
mtl wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
That's what I'm thinking. Stock CRF250 suspension was actually really nice for a bunch of years there. I think it's sprung for about a 165 pound...
mtl wrote:
bare with me this might me a dumb question an i apologize ahead of time. but when u guys say " a faster rider on a bike sprung like this" what do u mean? whats the difference between a beginner an a novice rider, who are riding on the same thing?
mtl
1/14/2015 3:38pm
A C rider wont hit jumps, bumps as hard and overjump stuff as an A/B rider. These things push the suspension and require a stiffer setup, which is what you get with a bike setup for a heavier rider.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/14/2015 4:04pm
Travis250F wrote:
growing up I've always raced and rode dirt bikes. The only thing my parents ever did was service my suspension such as change the fork seals...
Its absolutely impossible for anyone to tell you how to setup your bike with this post, no matter what they say.

the best you can do is change the oil, set the sag and make sure its sprung for your weight. Once all that is done set all the clickers to the stock setting and figure out what the bike is and isn't doing right and adjust from there.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/14/2015 4:09pm
FGR01 wrote:
mtl wrote:
Travis250F wrote:
bare with me this might me a dumb question an i apologize ahead of time. but when u guys say " a faster rider on a...
bare with me this might me a dumb question an i apologize ahead of time. but when u guys say " a faster rider on a bike sprung like this" what do u mean? whats the difference between a beginner an a novice rider, who are riding on the same thing?
They hit stuff faster and harder, but they don't necessarily run heavier springs like some are saying.

Post a reply to: suspension setup help

The Latest