surprising reaction to Straight Rhythm

MelonFan123
10/6/2014 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2014 3:53pm
Wow! Surprised to see Cudby blast the event like this. Seems like RB was just trying to bring something fresh and new to the table and in my humble opinion they hit it out of the park.

Something tells me Simon probably won't be shooting the Red Bull KTM team posters anytime in the near future Wink

|
JW381
10/6/2014 7:55pm
Hmm, I'm surprised too. I guess if he got suck in the heat for that long it coulda have ruined it for him. If you ask me, I think it's great, like extremely great. It's new and fresh, but it's also actually exciting. How many times have we seen one-off events that are different, but lack actual entertainment value? Straight Rhythm was fun as hell to watch, and probably easy for casual fans to watch, as well.
Overdrive
10/6/2014 8:02pm
I happen to agree with Simon.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/6/2014 8:05pm
Shooting had some unusual restrictions. There were a handful of photographer pens to shoot from. Not unusual for a made-for-TV event. What was odd was that you had to be taken there by a cart. You also didn't have freedom to move from section-to-section by foot. You had to wait for a cart to pick you up.

Meanwhile, Red Bull's "official" photogs could roam at will. or parents of a rider could roam at will.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for Simon was when they started featuring his photos on the TV broadcast...without compensation.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/6/2014 8:10pm
Never knew how it worked but if you shoot photos of riders you want to get paid for the photos which is fine but do the riders get paid to be in the photos ?
hvaughn88
GuyB wrote:
Shooting had some unusual restrictions. There were a handful of photographer pens to shoot from. Not unusual for a made-for-TV event. What was odd was that...
Shooting had some unusual restrictions. There were a handful of photographer pens to shoot from. Not unusual for a made-for-TV event. What was odd was that you had to be taken there by a cart. You also didn't have freedom to move from section-to-section by foot. You had to wait for a cart to pick you up.

Meanwhile, Red Bull's "official" photogs could roam at will. or parents of a rider could roam at will.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back for Simon was when they started featuring his photos on the TV broadcast...without compensation.
That's completely understandable. I'd be pissed, too if they used my product without compensation.
stantdm
I think it was an interesting event but a steady diet of it wouldn't be. Its just a form of drag racing after all is said and done. .
JW381
GuyB wrote:
Shooting had some unusual restrictions. There were a handful of photographer pens to shoot from. Not unusual for a made-for-TV event. What was odd was that...

All you really needed was that last part.

For an old dawn like Simon dealing with the onset of social media, uncredited use of photos has to drive him mad. Although, I'm sure he signed some waiver that revoked his rights to his photo's and his wife's private parts to Red Bull. Fuckin corporations, man...
hvaughn88
10/6/2014 8:11pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Never knew how it worked but if you shoot photos of riders you want to get paid for the photos which is fine but do the...
Never knew how it worked but if you shoot photos of riders you want to get paid for the photos which is fine but do the riders get paid to be in the photos ?
I'm not positive but I imagine they forfeit that right when they sign up to race
JW381
10/6/2014 8:12pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Never knew how it worked but if you shoot photos of riders you want to get paid for the photos which is fine but do the...
Interesting question. Depends on the circumstances (this is solely uneducated opinion, aka vitard speak). A factory rider might not be getting paid directly, but they're getting paid to be there. An amateur isn't getting paid, but should they be? The photographer is the one utilizing a skill/service that is desirable.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
Just giving you some of the back story.
id rather watch heads up racing on a two lane jumpless rut/turn track. The strait rhythm racing was better then I though it would be, but nothing special.
MelonFan123
10/6/2014 8:26pm
thanks for that insight Steve
Getndome
10/6/2014 8:31pm
Luckily this is a small sport so there probably won't be any backlash from the gay community lol
MelonFan123
10/6/2014 8:32pm
in regards to his photos being used for the TV broadcast, since that was live i assume the photos are from his Instagram or other social feed? Would he (or any other photog) expect to be compensated for photos that you willingly put out like that?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/6/2014 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 8:35pm
lostboy819 wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Interesting question. Depends on the circumstances (this is solely uneducated opinion, aka vitard speak). A factory rider might not be getting paid directly, but they're getting...
Interesting question. Depends on the circumstances (this is solely uneducated opinion, aka vitard speak). A factory rider might not be getting paid directly, but they're getting paid to be there. An amateur isn't getting paid, but should they be? The photographer is the one utilizing a skill/service that is desirable.
That is true but I wonder if the riders have to sign some sort of release. But then again I have never met a rider pro or amateur who does not like seeing themselves in print .
therealhammer
10/6/2014 8:38pm
GuyB wrote:

Guy B.. ( this all comes with the most respect possible)

I understand it was a challenge to be at that type of event. The idea of the cart was to make it easier for you guys to get around, so you didn't have to walk 3,000 feet from one end to the other.. The pens were to keep photographers who were after a certain shot from standing in the way of a TV camera that they might not realize they were blocking.. The staff photographers were able to roam freely as we had them on radios and should they get in the shot , we could have them move out of the way. That is nearly impossible with the amount of media we had there. With it being our event we also wanted to make sure they got the best shots that could be used for media globally for our event as well as potential photos for next years event promotions. Hope that all makes sense.

Regarding his photos being used without his permission. The only way photos made it up on the jumbo ton was when the person who took the photo tagged #straightrhythm in their post. During intermissions we would pick the best photos from the hash tagged photos and put them on the jumbotron while showing handle of the person who took them. Its new media and that happens at a lot of events.. including supercross on TV with FELD .
bvm111
10/6/2014 8:41pm
As usual you can't please everyone and someone will complain about anything. Blink
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/6/2014 8:54pm
I wanted to put up strobes but they wouldnt let me. Pinch
JW381
10/6/2014 8:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Interesting question. Depends on the circumstances (this is solely uneducated opinion, aka vitard speak). A factory rider might not be getting paid directly, but they're getting...
lostboy819 wrote:
That is true but I wonder if the riders have to sign some sort of release. But then again I have never met a rider pro...
That is true but I wonder if the riders have to sign some sort of release. But then again I have never met a rider pro or amateur who does not like seeing themselves in print .
I pay for mine hahaLaughing
Dx3moto
10/6/2014 9:19pm
GuyB wrote:

Tough weekend for photographers, great for the fans. It was silly of them to post Simon's photos on the jumbo tron, though.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/6/2014 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 9:27pm
Guy B.. ( this all comes with the most respect possible) I understand it was a challenge to be at that type of event. The idea...
Guy B.. ( this all comes with the most respect possible)

I understand it was a challenge to be at that type of event. The idea of the cart was to make it easier for you guys to get around, so you didn't have to walk 3,000 feet from one end to the other.. The pens were to keep photographers who were after a certain shot from standing in the way of a TV camera that they might not realize they were blocking.. The staff photographers were able to roam freely as we had them on radios and should they get in the shot , we could have them move out of the way. That is nearly impossible with the amount of media we had there. With it being our event we also wanted to make sure they got the best shots that could be used for media globally for our event as well as potential photos for next years event promotions. Hope that all makes sense.

Regarding his photos being used without his permission. The only way photos made it up on the jumbo ton was when the person who took the photo tagged #straightrhythm in their post. During intermissions we would pick the best photos from the hash tagged photos and put them on the jumbotron while showing handle of the person who took them. Its new media and that happens at a lot of events.. including supercross on TV with FELD .
Hammer, I wasn't knocking it, I was just trying to explain how it differed from the norm...and why it rubbed some the wrong way.

I was also there all day Friday and Saturday. It was a great event. I'll be honest, though, I go to made-for-TV events like the X Games (and yes, last weekend), with lowered expectations for creativity. Do I expect to get wide-angle shots at the lip of the jumps like at the demo events? Nope.

As far as the convenience factor...I don't need pampering. If I did, I wouldn't make it through 17 rounds of Supercross, or all 12 Nationals.

Wait, on second thought... Wink
JeepnMike
10/6/2014 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 10:01pm
Not totally on-topic of this thread but.. Poking around social media, and I am betting at least 80% of the people commenting on this event don't know how to spell rhythm correctly.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/6/2014 9:58pm
JeepnMike wrote:
Not totally on-topic of this thread but.. Poking around social media, and I am betting at least 80% of the people commenting on this event don't...
Not totally on-topic of this thread but.. Poking around social media, and I am betting at least 80% of the people commenting on this event don't know how to spell rhythm correctly.
You're correct. Smile
CR250Rider
10/6/2014 10:49pm
Did anybody notice the eager photog that jumped in front of the band during the nation anthem?
wagonmaster
10/6/2014 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 3:54pm
Other than TP I wouldn't walk across the road to watch that
hvaughn88
10/7/2014 4:08am
Why?
Crush
10/7/2014 4:43am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Why?
I wouldn't go that far but I was watching that attentively either. There were some cool moments but i'd have liked the track to be a bit more unique...

Was thinking they should it as a barrel race. 2 or 3 lanes, some ridonkulous berms with some other weird obstacles, over/unders etc.
daemon616
10/7/2014 4:44am
I've watched the event three times or so. It was a bad ass event. I don't get the hate.
Crush
10/7/2014 4:47am
daemon616 wrote:
I've watched the event three times or so. It was a bad ass event. I don't get the hate.
Do you have an adderall prescription? hehe

Post a reply to: surprising reaction to Straight Rhythm

The Latest