supercross attendance

winman
Fantasy
4006th
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 4:45pm
Is it just me or not? The last Atlanta race and previous races before had empty seats everywhere. I wonder how much money there are losing without JS7 and RV2? Anyone have comparable numbers?
|
huck
3/2/2015 1:25pm
$1,000,000,000 each race!
SEE ARE125
3/2/2015 1:54pm
Can't speak for the other rounds, but for Atlanta, the weather to the north was shitty for both weekends. A lot of TN, KY, NC people unable to make it. My 8 year old just went back to school today for the first time in two weeks.
IWreckALot
3/2/2015 2:42pm
winman wrote:
Is it just me or not? The last Atlanta race and previous races before had empty seats everywhere. I wonder how much money there are losing...
Is it just me or not? The last Atlanta race and previous races before had empty seats everywhere. I wonder how much money there are losing without JS7 and RV2? Anyone have comparable numbers?
Great post. I nominate you for the post of the year award. Nobody else has thought about this ever before.

How would you quantify the fans that didn't come specifically because of those two riders vs. other reasons such as weather, convenience, economics etc. . .
RbR
3/2/2015 3:24pm
It might have some relation to how exceptional the TV coverage has become. The best seat in the stadium, in my opinion, is on my couch ...

The Shop

dmc22tx
3/2/2015 3:29pm
Folks are tired of hearing Lurch screaming at the top of his lungs: "Arre youuu rrreeeeaaaaaaadaaaaayyy?!?!?"
rmzrider91
3/2/2015 3:41pm
I'm interested to see how well the turnout at indy will be. I've never heard them advertise/talk it up so much on the radio before. For the last 3 weeks or so its been during every single commercial break and the radio stations having ticket give a ways and such
Zaugg
3/2/2015 3:49pm
Sounds like coordinating around Monster Jam, better TV coverage, and higher ticket prices are some contributing factors for sure.

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/2/2015 3:55pm
If you read the comments on those guys Facebook and Instagram there are a lot of people who said they are not going because those guys aren't there. Not "real" fans I know, just reporting what I've read.
winman
Fantasy
4006th
3/2/2015 5:01pm
I read somewhere about the attendance way off. I know last year I drove 12 hours to St Louis to see supercross. I also went to Philadelphia in 1980 . I might go to New Jersey, I'm a def fan but the draw is not so good for me now!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
3/2/2015 5:16pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Great post. I nominate you for the post of the year award. Nobody else has thought about this ever before. How would you quantify the fans...
Great post. I nominate you for the post of the year award. Nobody else has thought about this ever before.

How would you quantify the fans that didn't come specifically because of those two riders vs. other reasons such as weather, convenience, economics etc. . .
And the Atl races were bookended by NASACAR races at the same time in the same general region - some people wouldn't go to both, and chose one over the other. The PHX stadium was packed like usual this year, nothing different. Can't speak for the other races, just know PHX was packed like usual.
zehn
3/2/2015 5:23pm
I would guess 2 weeks at 2/3 capacity in the Georgia Dome is more profitable than 1 sold out night.
hillbilly
3/2/2015 5:27pm
The dome doesn't make it easy. They wanted 40 bucks to park,I still paid 20 next to the outside paddock. Last year only one door you could go in early and it was way over there,no backpack to carry binoculars ,nascar type scanner headphones. I go in style.

With riders seating tickets they dont check a thing,carried in drinks,food,jackets,scanner,phones,binoculars.

When I drank i used barnoculars. ,funny as hell to act like you are looking at stuff then unscrew the eyepiece and take a hit of whiskey.
mx836
3/2/2015 5:30pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Can't speak for the other rounds, but for Atlanta, the weather to the north was shitty for both weekends. A lot of TN, KY, NC people...
Can't speak for the other rounds, but for Atlanta, the weather to the north was shitty for both weekends. A lot of TN, KY, NC people unable to make it. My 8 year old just went back to school today for the first time in two weeks.
Two weeks? I don't think I ever had two days off in a row for weather in Wisconsin. How bad could it be?
redrider400
3/2/2015 5:41pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Can't speak for the other rounds, but for Atlanta, the weather to the north was shitty for both weekends. A lot of TN, KY, NC people...
mx836 wrote:
Two weeks? I don't think I ever had two days off in a row for weather in Wisconsin. How bad could it be?
It's laughable really. I just moved back to Georgia from Alaska and they called off school for two days in a row for a threat of 1-2 inches of snow. Hell, in Wasilla, AK, we would walk the kids to the bus stop in -20 degree weather on nothing but snow and ice. But they are prepared and have the resources up there, down here, not so much. Did I mention how much of a absolute SHITHOLE Atlanta is now that I have lived somewhere else. I miss AK and will be moving back asap
machine
3/2/2015 5:49pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
Not bad at all, but people don't know how to drive in the snow and ice here, it's pathetic. Also, there isn't enough snow removal equipment like ya'll have there to clear the roads fast.

This pic is about what it looked like at it's worst

zehn
3/2/2015 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 8:12pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
It's laughable really. I just moved back to Georgia from Alaska and they called off school for two days in a row for a threat of...
It's laughable really. I just moved back to Georgia from Alaska and they called off school for two days in a row for a threat of 1-2 inches of snow. Hell, in Wasilla, AK, we would walk the kids to the bus stop in -20 degree weather on nothing but snow and ice. But they are prepared and have the resources up there, down here, not so much. Did I mention how much of a absolute SHITHOLE Atlanta is now that I have lived somewhere else. I miss AK and will be moving back asap
Atlanta is a shithole compared to Wasilla? Never heard that before haha. If you're into it though I guess the valley isn't that bad
SEE ARE125
3/2/2015 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2015 6:25pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
machine wrote:
Not bad at all, but people don't know how to drive in the snow and ice here, it's pathetic. Also, there isn't enough snow removal equipment...
Not bad at all, but people don't know how to drive in the snow and ice here, it's pathetic. Also, there isn't enough snow removal equipment like ya'll have there to clear the roads fast.

Doesn't look like ya'll got it as bad as we did. I think the first round maybe missed NC. The first round was an ice storm, followed by several inches of snow a couple days later, then it continued every few days for over a week. I agree people can't drive in it, they're real morons. They will stop at the bottom of a hill and contemplate whether or not they can make it, then they'll try it and end up in a ditch, as opposed to keeping momentum going and cruising right to the top. My wife works with a lot of people from Canada and Ohio, and they say it's worse here than up there because of all the curvy mountain roads.

And yes, two full weeks. It was ridiculous. My wife and I didn't miss a day of work. I drove her everyday because I have a beater truck just for instances like this, and didn't want for salt to get all over her new car.
yzweldon
3/2/2015 6:25pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
It's laughable really. I just moved back to Georgia from Alaska and they called off school for two days in a row for a threat of...
My brother lives in Griffen just south of Atlanta and I totally agree A bigger SHITHOLE there can not be. Could not wait to get back home to Mid Cities DFW after visiting him over the Holidays
mx836
3/2/2015 6:35pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
machine wrote:
Not bad at all, but people don't know how to drive in the snow and ice here, it's pathetic. Also, there isn't enough snow removal equipment...

Those are valid points, but it's still kind of pathetic. People don't know how to drive in the snow here either. I could pass most of them sideways with a middle finger out the window. Laughing
endurox
3/2/2015 6:53pm
dmc22tx wrote:
Folks are tired of hearing Lurch screaming at the top of his lungs: "Arre youuu rrreeeeaaaaaaadaaaaayyy?!?!?"
They have turned the races into a party atmosphere IMO. The sky high ticket prices have chased away alot of families.
Combine that with no JS or RV and live coverage leaves the stadium looking 2/3 filled. 40$ for parking, wow.Glad I live in Boise.
Parking for the endurocross is 5$.
phantom 662
3/2/2015 6:54pm
RbR wrote:
It might have some relation to how exceptional the TV coverage has become. The best seat in the stadium, in my opinion, is on my couch...
It might have some relation to how exceptional the TV coverage has become. The best seat in the stadium, in my opinion, is on my couch ...
I too have noticed some exceptional camera work lately. Gate drop action on the flat screen is pretty sweet! Love the spider cam.... and the Monster girl who winks at me too.
gharmon
3/2/2015 6:58pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mx836 wrote:
It says you are in Bremen? I know Atlanta is shitty and I wouldn't live there either but anywhere in the rural southeast is a great place to me. I live on the GA/AL line (born and raised on the Ga side but moved to the Al side once married) and have all my family/friends here. I think either state is a great place to live (minus the big cities)

I haven't lived in Alaska so I can't really compare it. I know how much I hate the cold so I doubt anything less than a visit would be too much for me. I'm actually considering a travel nurse job there as soon as I'm health (recovering from dirt bike accident) so maybe I'll change my mind on Alaska!!
gharmon
3/2/2015 7:04pm
RbR wrote:
It might have some relation to how exceptional the TV coverage has become. The best seat in the stadium, in my opinion, is on my couch...
I too have noticed some exceptional camera work lately. Gate drop action on the flat screen is pretty sweet! Love the spider cam.... and the Monster...
I too have noticed some exceptional camera work lately. Gate drop action on the flat screen is pretty sweet! Love the spider cam.... and the Monster girl who winks at me too.
I agree with you guys on the couch being the best but I go just for he experience. It's once a year (twice this year) so I record the race and go to hang out with friends and family!! WE had a great time sat night with our crew even from the seat of my wheelchair. I don't think it has much to do with RV2/JS7. No one I know help out because of that.

Hell the racing was really good. The early part of the moto when Canard and Tomac was going at it was awesome!!
CR250Rider
3/2/2015 7:07pm
Meanwhile here in Seattle, we just enjoyed the best February ever. And no SX round scheduled.
phantom 662
3/2/2015 7:52pm
RbR wrote:
I too have noticed some exceptional camera work lately. Gate drop action on the flat screen is pretty sweet! Love the spider cam.... and the Monster...
gharmon wrote:
I agree with you guys on the couch being the best but I go just for he experience. It's once a year (twice this year) so...
I agree with you guys on the couch being the best but I go just for he experience. It's once a year (twice this year) so I record the race and go to hang out with friends and family!! WE had a great time sat night with our crew even from the seat of my wheelchair. I don't think it has much to do with RV2/JS7. No one I know help out because of that.

Hell the racing was really good. The early part of the moto when Canard and Tomac was going at it was awesome!!
Yeah right on! Best of both worlds there. I understand about venues and wheelchairs. Glad to hear you and your crew had a great time. Good stuff!
zook11
3/2/2015 8:06pm
I think it's laughable some people think RV and Js7 not being there has nothing to do with the shitty attendance
zehn
3/2/2015 8:15pm
zook11 wrote:
I think it's laughable some people think RV and Js7 not being there has nothing to do with the shitty attendance
*This poster may or may not have an RV2 avatar*
mx836
3/2/2015 8:18pm
zook11 wrote:
I hate to use the word fanboy, but unfortunately there are many of them who probably don't show up, because their favorite rider is not there. Pathetic, really. Those people aren't true fans of the sport and I personally would rather they stay home.
3/2/2015 8:43pm
RbR wrote:
This, the price of tickets, and (living in the ATL), dealing with MARTA and the crime in the area of the Dome. I skipped ATL this year and plan to go to Daytona next weekend (tix were a gift). So much easier to watch at home.
liamjumper
3/2/2015 9:06pm
There were 2 ATL races in a row, so they were bound to get nearly half the people at each race.

Post a reply to: supercross attendance

The Latest