split bike practices

me_da_racer
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 11:08pm
I looked and didn't see a thread on this. Out here where I ride a young teenager on an 85 lost his life when a big bike landed on him. That brings me to my point. Does the local tracks where you ride split practices every day, if so, how many riders do they have? I help run a track and if it is packed we split practice. Most days we have every few riders and don't. Our riders kinda split them selves. Slow guys ride then rest and fast riders go out. My son is 13 and just moved to a 125. He was a fast mini rider so he always rode with the faster guys in practice. Seemed safer for him and the slower riders. Just wondering.
|
me_da_racer
8/7/2014 10:21pm
Yeah, I don't think it is good to high jack a thread like that. Let that post be for people to send supportive words to the family.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
8/7/2014 11:14pm
Up here there are tracks that split and tracks that dont. I dont get it, if there are any small bikes IMO it MUST be split up. I have always thought that. Big bikes and little bikes do not belong on the track at the same time. I know when my boy gets old enough to ride, we will not be riding at tracks that dont split it up. Its not worth it. Just my .02

The Shop

me_da_racer
8/7/2014 11:15pm
Even if he can keep up with and even faster then most big bikes?
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
8/7/2014 11:25pm
Yup, speed doesnt matter to me (speaking for my family). If/when my boy starts riding/racing he will not be out riding an open practice day with big bikes. It has literally nothing to do with speed.
The Rock
8/8/2014 12:32am
mx510 wrote:
Yup, speed doesnt matter to me (speaking for my family). If/when my boy starts riding/racing he will not be out riding an open practice day with...
Yup, speed doesnt matter to me (speaking for my family). If/when my boy starts riding/racing he will not be out riding an open practice day with big bikes. It has literally nothing to do with speed.
mx510-well said RE: It has literally nothing to do with speed.
8/8/2014 7:13am
Most of the tracks I ride at split it up by mini bikes and big bikes at least. A couple even split the big bikes up into A/B practice and C/D practice, which I think is a great idea.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/8/2014 8:15am
Sorry to hear about the lose of the young boy, so sad.

A few tracks in the NW do:
Beginner
Junior
35+
Pro
Women/50's/80's

Or

Big bike fast
Big bike slow
Women/50s/80s
loftyair
8/8/2014 9:52pm
Me thinks Adam c.(on a supermini) and James on the track same time way safer than same Adam and my 4 yr. old daughter on a PW 50. I really think little kids should not touch the 'main' track until they can hold their own. Same with big bike beginners.
Crush
8/8/2014 9:54pm
I can't believe people can't see why this is an issue.

a 450 plus a vet is probably 200kgs plus.

Multiply that by velocity coming down on anyone, let alone a 30-50kg kid.

Fuckin hell, mind boggling to think people don't get it.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
8/8/2014 10:27pm
Safety policies, by their nature, must be geared to protect the least common denominator. In this case, the slowest, smallest, most inexperienced riders. It is really irrelevant if there are some in the category that are as skilled as others in a superior group. Plus, splitting practice doesn't really inconvenience or cheat anyone. What big bike rider besides a national number can spin more than 45 minutes of hot laps?

Even if it did, abandoning the policy is not worth the cost. Just my opinion.

8/9/2014 7:42am
I see a lot of people coming up to a jump at normal speed then choking up on the lip. Not saying that's what the kid did but just felt like a related topic.
JA946
8/9/2014 9:06am
I looked and didn't see a thread on this. Out here where I ride a young teenager on an 85 lost his life when a big...
I looked and didn't see a thread on this. Out here where I ride a young teenager on an 85 lost his life when a big bike landed on him. That brings me to my point. Does the local tracks where you ride split practices every day, if so, how many riders do they have? I help run a track and if it is packed we split practice. Most days we have every few riders and don't. Our riders kinda split them selves. Slow guys ride then rest and fast riders go out. My son is 13 and just moved to a 125. He was a fast mini rider so he always rode with the faster guys in practice. Seemed safer for him and the slower riders. Just wondering.
So a kid that's on a supermini and is going B rider speeds is LESS threatening to a 50cc rider than an old guy on an MX bike rolling all the jumps?

So many variables to make a claim either way.

Mix in super fast kids on supermini's and 85's, you now have to split the track several ways.

Crush
8/9/2014 10:23pm
I looked and didn't see a thread on this. Out here where I ride a young teenager on an 85 lost his life when a big...
JA946 wrote:
So a kid that's on a supermini and is going B rider speeds is LESS threatening to a 50cc rider than an old guy on an...
So a kid that's on a supermini and is going B rider speeds is LESS threatening to a 50cc rider than an old guy on an MX bike rolling all the jumps?

So many variables to make a claim either way.

Mix in super fast kids on supermini's and 85's, you now have to split the track several ways.

Yeah you should split it as much as you can!
dboivin
8/9/2014 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 11:09pm
run a track here in michigan. when we have practice day, its from 11am-4pm....we have a big bike A/B practice, big bike C practice and a mini practice.

its like that at all the tracks in my general area. dont understand how it could be any different. if a track is combining mini's and big bikes, they won't be in business very long...or they don't get shit for riders showing up.

Post a reply to: split bike practices

The Latest