speaking of ktm

rmpilot
10/7/2011 8:38am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:09am
i was reading that in moto3 race bikes the 250f motors cannot have anything to do with the mx motors. is it just just me or is that a stupid rule that doesnt even make sense?
|
newmann
10/7/2011 8:44am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2011 8:46am
Maybe they realized that 250F MX engines weren't safe for extended continous high rpm usage? Other than that, just another sanctioning body driving up the cost of racing, not unlike the AMA and motocross.
rmpilot
10/7/2011 8:48am
both do make sense but it said an 81mm stroke and arent super short stroke motors usually less durable?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/7/2011 8:48am
Prestige. MX is supposed to be the hand-me-down technology series, not RR.

It'd be interesting to hear the real rationale. There may be any element of what Joe mentions, not withstanding his agenda (and is will be sad to see the 125 RR bikes go away). They probably are going to be looking at turning freaky revs; the MotoGP bikes do. Dumping a load of oil on the pavement in a pack is bad news.
TerryB
10/7/2011 8:49am
I think Newmann is correct, that they aren't really suitable, but an attempt to level the playing field for any manufacturers jumping in, maybe? Forces new development on everyone's part. Just a guess.

The Shop

newmann
10/7/2011 8:56am
Prestige. MX is supposed to be the hand-me-down technology series, not RR. It'd be interesting to hear the real rationale. There may be any element of...

It'd be interesting to hear the real rationale. There may be any element of what Joe mentions, not withstanding his agenda (and is will be sad to see the 125 RR bikes go away). They probably are going to be looking at turning freaky revs; the MotoGP bikes do. Dumping a load of oil on the pavement in a pack is bad news.
You got "agenda" out of my post? I'm disappointed in you....Tongue
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
10/7/2011 8:59am
Prestige. MX is supposed to be the hand-me-down technology series, not RR. It'd be interesting to hear the real rationale. There may be any element of...

Actually they're going to be limited to 14,000 rpms.

Here's some info on soup: http://superbikeplanet.com/2011/Oct/111006d.htm
newmann
10/7/2011 9:00am
TerryB wrote:
I think Newmann is correct, that they aren't really suitable, but an attempt to level the playing field for any manufacturers jumping in, maybe? Forces new...
I think Newmann is correct, that they aren't really suitable, but an attempt to level the playing field for any manufacturers jumping in, maybe? Forces new development on everyone's part. Just a guess.
Forcing new development in this down economy? Hmmmmm, just the thing DC says the OEM's don't want in MX. Where will all this money come from for all this new tooling?
TerryB
10/7/2011 9:02am
newmann wrote:
Forcing new development in this down economy? Hmmmmm, just the thing DC says the OEM's don't want in MX. Where will all this money come from...
Forcing new development in this down economy? Hmmmmm, just the thing DC says the OEM's don't want in MX. Where will all this money come from for all this new tooling?
You very funny guy!Wink
10/7/2011 9:03am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2011 9:04am
rmpilot wrote:
i was reading that in moto3 race bikes the 250f motors cannot have anything to do with the mx motors. is it just just me or...
i was reading that in moto3 race bikes the 250f motors cannot have anything to do with the mx motors. is it just just me or is that a stupid rule that doesnt even make sense?
they tested honda 250f motocross engines and they weren't up to the job (couldnt last a race distance without blowing up)

they should have kept the smaller classes to 125 and 250 2 stroke in my opionion
newmann
10/7/2011 9:06am
rmpilot wrote:
i was reading that in moto3 race bikes the 250f motors cannot have anything to do with the mx motors. is it just just me or...
they tested honda 250f motocross engines and they weren't up to the job (couldnt last a race distance without blowing up) they should have kept the...
they tested honda 250f motocross engines and they weren't up to the job (couldnt last a race distance without blowing up)

they should have kept the smaller classes to 125 and 250 2 stroke in my opionion
I can tell by your screen name that your reply must be agenda driven also!! How dare you point out the obvious. Just kidding FTE.....maybeEvil
TerryB
10/7/2011 9:16am
they tested honda 250f motocross engines and they weren't up to the job (couldnt last a race distance without blowing up) they should have kept the...

That wouldn't fit Honda's plan for world (four stroke) domination. Besides, they already built a motor for this class. Remember, the OEM's don't have money for R&D'ing a totally new design.
rmpilot
10/7/2011 9:31am
TerryB wrote:
That wouldn't fit Honda's plan for world (four stroke) domination. Besides, they already built a motor for this class. Remember, the OEM's don't have money for...
That wouldn't fit Honda's plan for world (four stroke) domination. Besides, they already built a motor for this class. Remember, the OEM's don't have money for R&D'ing a totally new design.
or is this a conspiracy by wiseco with thte short stroke motors to sell more pistons?

Post a reply to: speaking of ktm

The Latest