riding the day before a race

Edited Date/Time 6/13/2015 5:34am
Hey all I been struggling with some arm pump the last few weeks especially , my off bike fitness is great but its not crossing over to moto performance . I know the best thing is to ride but where we live weekends are it full stop , I do have a choppy practice track and I was wondering what people think about doing a few motos the day before racing And if so would you go full intensity or not ?
cheers
|
Rotaholic
6/12/2015 4:44pm
If you don't have great technique, ie hanging off the back off the bike and holding on with youre arms, its a bad idea, I find that even though you get in that extra practice and bike setup, it takes its toll on youre forearms.

Sounds silly, but watch some helmet cam vids and imagine/focus on looking ahead and picking lines, also sit on the bike in the shed and practice moving around on the bike, squeezing the seat and shrouds and regripping the bars
6/12/2015 4:50pm
I like to ride the day before. Even if I have raced the track a dozen times it helps me be more confident which in returns helps me ride smoother and use less energy. I am in poor shape right now and would rather be little sore in the morning then feel unprepared
ti473
6/12/2015 5:11pm
I like to race the day before a race before another race. And sometimes the day of a race is not a bad idea either.
6/12/2015 5:15pm
If I play ride the day before I race I feel awesome on race day. If I go and ride like a normal practice day and then race I am way to flogged to race decent.

The Shop

SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/12/2015 6:48pm
ti473 wrote:
I like to race the day before a race before another race. And sometimes the day of a race is not a bad idea either.
Same here. In fact, sometimes I even race the day after a race.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
6/12/2015 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2015 6:51pm
All I know is don't wear yourself out on your old lady the night before. Iron Mike would get cut off weeks before a fight!

Or just call bottom....
The Rock
6/12/2015 6:55pm
In some cases arm pump is due to being too aggressive and forcing the speed. If you are in shape and your bike set up is good but you're still getting arm pump I would find someone to take a lesson from. My first exposure to MX schools was Gary Bailey at Mid Ohio in 73 then out in CA I had a session with Marty Smith back in 97 and he helped me in a few areas. Marty had baby sat Mike Craig that year for the Nationals on HoT and Stingray did really well under Marty's guidance.

We went to lunch afterwards and Marty said he always tried to get back home the same day of the race so he'd could ride the next day. Even if it was for a little bit Marty Smith like keeping his skills sharp. On a bit of a related note my piano teacher said it wasn't how much I practiced but how often.

cwtoyota
6/12/2015 10:48pm
Time on the bike cures arm-pump every time, unless you are out of shape.
If you have an arm pump issue, you have either a fitness issue, or a technique issue.

If your core (abs, oblique and lower back) are out of shape, your arms will have to pick up the slack.
If your technique is off (gripping with your legs & knees), your arms will have to pick up the slack.

If you're off-bike fitness is good, then you should probably ride. Go ride as smooth as possible. Forget about going fast. Go 80% and stay in your comfort zone. If you make a mistake in a section, figure out why. Repeat that section until you figure it out, then repeat it until you can't get it wrong.

Focus on keeping your arms loose, relaxed and keep your weight neutral on the bike. Be smooth.

Stand up more. If you're sitting down, try to stand up more in a neutral and balanced attack position.

KMC440
6/13/2015 3:29am
ti473 wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
Same here. In fact, sometimes I even race the day after a race.
Buncha racists.
6/13/2015 3:41am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2015 3:49am
cwtoyota wrote:
Time on the bike cures arm-pump every time, unless you are out of shape. If you have an arm pump issue, you have either a fitness...
If you have an arm pump issue, you have either a fitness issue, or a technique issue.

If your core (abs, oblique and lower back) are out of shape, your arms will have to pick up the slack.
If your technique is off (gripping with your legs & knees), your arms will have to pick up the slack.

If you're off-bike fitness is good, then you should probably ride. Go ride as smooth as possible. Forget about going fast. Go 80% and stay in your comfort zone. If you make a mistake in a section, figure out why. Repeat that section until you figure it out, then repeat it until you can't get it wrong.

Focus on keeping your arms loose, relaxed and keep your weight neutral on the bike. Be smooth.

Stand up more. If you're sitting down, try to stand up more in a neutral and balanced attack position.

That's why some MotoGP riders had surgery? Arm pump can be a chronic issue for some people, where shape, technique or anything else accept sugery can't help to cure it.
kkawboy14
6/13/2015 4:53am
Holding your breath in a race is one of the main reasons for arm pump.

Breath regularly thru your nose during practice and in a race!
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
6/13/2015 5:07am
The Rock wrote:
In some cases arm pump is due to being too aggressive and forcing the speed. If you are in shape and your bike set up is...
In some cases arm pump is due to being too aggressive and forcing the speed. If you are in shape and your bike set up is good but you're still getting arm pump I would find someone to take a lesson from. My first exposure to MX schools was Gary Bailey at Mid Ohio in 73 then out in CA I had a session with Marty Smith back in 97 and he helped me in a few areas. Marty had baby sat Mike Craig that year for the Nationals on HoT and Stingray did really well under Marty's guidance.

We went to lunch afterwards and Marty said he always tried to get back home the same day of the race so he'd could ride the next day. Even if it was for a little bit Marty Smith like keeping his skills sharp. On a bit of a related note my piano teacher said it wasn't how much I practiced but how often.

Surprised you didn't drop the name of your piano teacher too.
hvaughn88
6/13/2015 5:34am
The Rock wrote:
In some cases arm pump is due to being too aggressive and forcing the speed. If you are in shape and your bike set up is...

Surprised you didn't drop the name of your piano teacher too.
It was Mozart. But his friends call him 'Mo'

Post a reply to: riding the day before a race

The Latest