riding after a bad back injury

Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:04am
I got a chance to ride at dayton motorcycle club yesterday for the first time since i broke my back which has been over a year. I had a blast but i was way too out of shape to race. Even though i was in the womens class i decided it was not smart/nor safe for me to race yet. I was on a RM 85 which was too small for me and big bikes are too big for me so i am now in the market in getting a KX 100. I had a blast practicing and have a question for you all. I want to get back in race shape, but my back was broken in the T8 (Broken in 2 places) and T11 (Broken in 3 place) so as you can see i cannot do much in big workouts. So any advice would be awesome. For someone who they thought would not walk again or much less ride again i want to race again! So any advice would be awesome!!

Thanks

Brittany
Trentman Racing Team Manager
|
oldx
8/30/2010 9:39am
Well its obvious you don't want to hear my advise, sounds like your mind is made up.
Torco1
8/30/2010 9:43am
You'll be fine, it will just take a little time to get back to where you're 100% comfortable. I broke my T7 and T8 along with some other major injuires almost 3 years ago now. For the first couple of days they werent even sure if I was going to live and riding again was the last thing on my mind. 4 months later though I was riding again and now I'm racing again. My back and ribs still hurt pretty much everyday, but I manage and riding is the only thing that keeps me sane. Good luck!
lumpy790
8/30/2010 10:25am
Compression fracture of T4 & T5......and when they X rayed me they said I had done it before. I spent 6 months in a back brace and raced in the brace for a year.....its been 30 years and have had Zero problems.....but everyone is different so be your own judge..
zippy895
8/30/2010 11:11am
focus on cycling and core exercises at your own pace.for training.you will thank me later as u age.

The Shop

8/30/2010 11:28am
zippy895 wrote:
focus on cycling and core exercises at your own pace.for training.you will thank me later as u age.
yea i was going to say cycling and of course seat time is the best way to get back into shape... "you go gurl!!"
nobhead
8/30/2010 12:03pm
If you had a fusion, which Im sure you did, make sure that the fusion is 100 fused. A year is still not that long. Make sure your doctor says there is a solid union of bone. I had a plate tear out of my neck because the fusion wasn't healed before I started lifting things. You don't want this to happen. Resulted in two more long surgeries over another year. Good luck.
8/30/2010 1:00pm
nobhead wrote:
If you had a fusion, which Im sure you did, make sure that the fusion is 100 fused. A year is still not that long. Make...
If you had a fusion, which Im sure you did, make sure that the fusion is 100 fused. A year is still not that long. Make sure your doctor says there is a solid union of bone. I had a plate tear out of my neck because the fusion wasn't healed before I started lifting things. You don't want this to happen. Resulted in two more long surgeries over another year. Good luck.
i did not get the fusion, the doctor, who is the best in ohio, said it would heal on its own. We had the choice of surgery but we decided that i did not need to do that because my parents were convinced that i was not going to race anymore. So i plan to get back into shape and see how i will do. Thanks for the advice!!!

Brittany
The Rock
8/30/2010 4:29pm
i did not get the fusion, the doctor, who is the best in ohio, said it would heal on its own. We had the choice of...
i did not get the fusion, the doctor, who is the best in ohio, said it would heal on its own. We had the choice of surgery but we decided that i did not need to do that because my parents were convinced that i was not going to race anymore. So i plan to get back into shape and see how i will do. Thanks for the advice!!!

Brittany
As a fellow Daytonian (albeit former) I wish you the best.

Swimming, stretching, and proper hydration are all key. An inversion table (after first talking it over with your doctor) might also be a big help.

From my personal experience these have all helped me along with traction therapy. If you want any direction on inversion tables and traction therapy check out the Health Links page on my RRS website.

Best of luck Brittany!
MxDaD324
8/30/2010 4:48pm
My son broke his back in 2 places about 3 years ago. Take the time to let it heal correctly and pace yourself back to race shape. You will be ripping in no time. Goodluck and stay safe!!

Post a reply to: riding after a bad back injury

The Latest