*please stay this way*

TerryK
1/21/2010 2:58pm
Shitty thing is, as soon as they pull the tarps off all the water settles into the low spots, then is dragged up the jump faces by the bikes. You would think Dirt Werks would have a system for pulling more water off the track. Pumps and channels? I know this would all depend on which stadium and what the surrounding grade was but there has to be a better way.
KMC440
1/21/2010 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:14pm
It's called a dome Terry.

I just hope they get through it safe and we see a 15 & 20 lap main.
TerryK
1/21/2010 3:02pm
KMC440 wrote:

A d-o-m-e?? What is this dome you speak of? They don't need no stinking domes in Cali. It never rains in Southern California remember?
Torco1
1/21/2010 3:09pm
The rain has been brutal all week here.......we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the track stays pretty decent.

The Shop

KMC440
1/21/2010 3:12pm
KMC440 wrote:

TerryK wrote:
A d-o-m-e?? What is this dome you speak of? They don't need no stinking domes in Cali. It never rains in Southern California remember?
I've been down there plenty of times when it's rained.... uh.... nope that was Santa Maria... damn you got me TK. Send some cold air down this next week I've got to shoot some vid at a snowcross next weekend. Thnx.
jmar
1/21/2010 4:02pm
I have been at some pretty nasty muddy Anaheim's.

I understand that a lot of the industry is close to Anaheim Stadium but the place is small and having three rounds there doesn't make much sense to me. They should have as many indoors as possible.

Just my 02 cents.
mxcrf34
1/21/2010 4:05pm
jmar wrote:
I have been at some pretty nasty muddy Anaheim's. I understand that a lot of the industry is close to Anaheim Stadium but the place is...
I have been at some pretty nasty muddy Anaheim's.

I understand that a lot of the industry is close to Anaheim Stadium but the place is small and having three rounds there doesn't make much sense to me. They should have as many indoors as possible.

Just my 02 cents.
I agree. 3 races at one venue is crazy....but they sell tickets each time so what the hell.
Torco1
1/21/2010 4:13pm
Well there are talks about us getting a football team back here and them building a new stadium in the Diamond Bar area. If that does happen, it would be cool to see at least one of the rounds go to the new stadium.
Ddavis
1/21/2010 4:13pm
i think everyone wants to see if anyone can do the anaheim 3-peat tho. i dont have a problem with 3 anaheims since its the closest one to me
jndmx
1/21/2010 4:23pm
TerryK wrote:
Shitty thing is, as soon as they pull the tarps off all the water settles into the low spots, then is dragged up the jump faces...
Shitty thing is, as soon as they pull the tarps off all the water settles into the low spots, then is dragged up the jump faces by the bikes. You would think Dirt Werks would have a system for pulling more water off the track. Pumps and channels? I know this would all depend on which stadium and what the surrounding grade was but there has to be a better way.
I talked to one of the Dirt Wurx guys after that San Fran race where it was a jet ski track and he said most of the time the issue is they aren't allowed to pump the water off the track into a storm drain system.

Most stadiums are very restrictive about what they can do with runoff water because of the dirt being used for all of the motorized events that Feld does not just SX.
jmar
1/21/2010 4:29pm
TerryK wrote:
Shitty thing is, as soon as they pull the tarps off all the water settles into the low spots, then is dragged up the jump faces...
jndmx wrote:
I talked to one of the Dirt Wurx guys after that San Fran race where it was a jet ski track and he said most of...
I talked to one of the Dirt Wurx guys after that San Fran race where it was a jet ski track and he said most of the time the issue is they aren't allowed to pump the water off the track into a storm drain system.

Most stadiums are very restrictive about what they can do with runoff water because of the dirt being used for all of the motorized events that Feld does not just SX.
If I remember right your not even allowed to wash a bike at San Fran with out a catch basin.
Maybe its Anaheim.
donman
1/21/2010 5:30pm
Saturday Jan. 23rd
3 am 45°F Mostly Clear Chance of Precip - 10% Winds From NNE 3 mph

According to Weather . com, The rain stops 16 hours before showtime! If they can get some mud pushed to the side, and they run day qualifiers, I'm guessing A2 will have very nice, tacky track conditions.

Maybe like this or better...

Just because...

calimxer91
1/21/2010 6:14pm
As the some of the worst storms in past decade continue to slam southern California with torrential downpours, flooding and gusting winds, the site of this weekend’s third round of Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, is, rest assured, in good hands as supercross fans anticipate the arrival of the second of three Anaheim SX installments on Saturday (Jan. 23).

With 18 years experience dealing in the highest level of stadium supercross track design and construction situations – many not unlike the one southern California’s facing right now - Dirt Wurx USA, in cooperation with Feld Motor Sports, went to some amazing lengths this past weekend to insure the best possible racing surface for the upcoming race. While crews thrashed in three different cities this past weekend in order to pull off not only the Phoenix supercross, but also monster truck events in both Anaheim (Calif.) and Tacoma (Wash.), Dirt Wurx USA’s staff ended up pulling off a Herculean feat in bringingthe Anaheim 2 SX track together early.

As major rain pounds southern California while you read this – some predicting as much as eight inches of rain throughout the week – Rich Winkler and the Dirt Wurx USA crews completed the Anaheim track by this past Sunday night and had it covered with plastic when the rains hit Monday.

“We’ll literally took half our crew from Phoenix and sent them back to California before the gate even dropped on Saturday,” said Winkler. “They got to Anaheim and teamed with our monster truck guys who were already on-site, started pulling the crushed cars off the floor Saturday night and worked through Sunday night to finish the Anaheim 2 track. The rest of the crew, including Feld’s operations team, loaded the starting gate in our truck and the Tuff Blocks, stage structure, other Monster Supercross enhancements and signage into seven of Feld’s semis and high tailed it out of Phoenix on Sunday morning to help finish the track on Sunday afternoon. Then it’s was all-hands-on-deck to get the track covered for Monday’s rains.”

Winkler said he and his guys have built tracks fast before, but added: “This was the fastest-ever full supercross track build we’ve done – by far. It was a joint plan between Dirt Wurx USA and Feld Motor Sports’ Director of Supercross, Dave Prater, to be proactive in the face of the incoming weather in an effort to preserve the best possible racing surface for this Saturday.”

With the track now complete, including structures, towers and banners, Dirt Wurx USA worked to dig down to the road base on the track’s infield to improve the drainage. Ten truckloads of coarse sand mixed with a drying agent is on hand and ready to be spread in areas where they’ll have to remove mud prior to Saturday’s race.

“Again, we’re doing everything we can under the circumstances,” said Winkler, who gave a good deal of credit to Dirt Wurx USA ’s longtime dozer operator, Norm Bickley, and his foresight of the impending weather situation. “At times it’s like a waterfall coming down the stands and onto the field … our guys have been standing in the low part of the tunnel (right at the field level) with water up to their knees and were pumping what they could out of a six-inch hose into the parking lot.

“We’re hearing the weather’s supposed to clear on Saturday andbe in the 60s, so the race will come off without a hitch despite the conditions this week.

Post a reply to: *please stay this way*

The Latest