o'mara: jeremy martin on the level of ricky carmichael

51xc
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 6:02am
matthes:
was talking to Johnny O’Mara about Jeremy Martin during track walk and he mentioned that out of all the guys he’s worked with, Martin is on the level of Ricky Carmichael as far as being able to handle whatever training load O’Show throws at him. Johnny mentioned that maybe brother Alex’s slow start on the West Coast could be from a bit of over training with Jeremy and Johnny. Not everyone can handle another person’s training habits. See Zach Osborne last summer when he was with Eli Tomac. It’s not a bad thing, Osborne and Alex Martin are gnarly athletes—it’s just that some people are built to handle a bit more.

http://racerxonline.com/2016/03/16/observations-toronto

this really caught my attention on matthes racer x column this week. it just shows that yes, hard work is important, but champions are also born as champions.
I'm really excited about jeremy moving up next year. i know many have webb ahead of martin but i never had, he just seems to make better decisions than most other riders.
with holding the red plate in sx right now, he has a seriously good chance to move up as a 2 time mx and 1 time sx champ. heck, even as a 3 time mx champ if he stays healthy but obviously as of right now it's anybody's championship and i sure don't want to credit him those titles quite yet. lots of racing to be done.

|
Crush
3/17/2016 3:30am
Yep, pretty interesting.

If you follow O'Mara on instagram, he's said a few times that J-Mart is a physiological freak... V02 and the like...

Half the reason I think MX is so special is the huge amount of elements that go into success... and why some guys have a various strength or not, how they can overcome it. It's so freaking complicated!
RMT
3/17/2016 5:59am
Who would of thought anyone but a red headed dude could handle that type of pain! Dungey and a few of the Euro guys don't count, they are Aliens.

The Shop

jonesaustin
3/17/2016 6:22am
Martin vs Webb is a compelling contrast -- we already knew Martin was moving in the direction of something greater than even what we've seen, then you have Webb the fire breather with attitude and crazy speed. That's the rivalry that makes Supercross exciting, having such opposite styles able to get the best of the other.

Awesome on the Johnny O insights, thanks for sharing.
BobPA
3/17/2016 6:25am
Martin vs Webb is a compelling contrast -- we already knew Martin was moving in the direction of something greater than even what we've seen, then...
Martin vs Webb is a compelling contrast -- we already knew Martin was moving in the direction of something greater than even what we've seen, then you have Webb the fire breather with attitude and crazy speed. That's the rivalry that makes Supercross exciting, having such opposite styles able to get the best of the other.

Awesome on the Johnny O insights, thanks for sharing.
They are on separate coasts, the rivalry, indoors, does not exist...
jonesaustin
3/17/2016 6:29am
BobPA wrote:
Right, I mean what's on the horizon for 17 and the years ahead.
tprice07
3/17/2016 6:30am
Jeremy Martin is pretty impressive...I mean he did crash in the first turn and still ended up 2nd.

That said, as much as many criticize Dungey for his personality, or lack there of, Martin will be viewed as 10x worse.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
3/17/2016 6:59am
BobPA wrote:
Do they still do the East West shootout in Vegas?
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
3/17/2016 7:06am
The O'Show has talked up JMart quite a bit, and from all talk on pulp mx from Alex Martin and filthy from training with JMart neither of those guys can hang with him on Mtn bikes or cycling, and both of those guys are gnarly to start with.

IWreckALot
3/17/2016 7:14am
BobPA wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
I believe the heat races are the point paying races and the main event is just an exhibition race. No points paid.
3/17/2016 7:17am
Yes he is on the level of Rc...

Though I'm not sure how he will fair on the big bikes...the kid is like a little piece of iron as was Ricky...not too mention extremely composed on a dirt bike. Half way through any main event while 90% of guys are getting tired Jeremy is just getting started. Training and your mental state is everything. Ricky and Jeremy both have that champions edge.

Webb I feel will be along the lines of James Stewart. Extremely fast and when racing on two wheels will probably win, but taking a lot of dirt naps in the process.
51xc
3/17/2016 7:39am
RMT wrote:
Who would of thought anyone but a red headed dude could handle that type of pain! Dungey and a few of the Euro guys don't count...
Who would of thought anyone but a red headed dude could handle that type of pain! Dungey and a few of the Euro guys don't count, they are Aliens.
yeah, o'show seems pretty roofless in regards to his training approach. he worked with barcia for a while and it didn't work out (not sure if that was actually a personal reason or not) but it seems like it opened up barcia's eyes a bit on how and what is possible and needed to be one of the greats. since then he became a pretty bad dude on a bicycle, mainly on the road tho.
agn5009
3/17/2016 7:59am
Imagine if Martin wins this SX championship and another 250 MX championship. That'd be a hell of a resume heading to the 450s. I think Martin will flourish on the 450 outdoors. He's never been "great" indoors like out.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
3/17/2016 9:20am
Yes he is on the level of Rc... Though I'm not sure how he will fair on the big bikes...the kid is like a little piece...
Yes he is on the level of Rc...

Though I'm not sure how he will fair on the big bikes...the kid is like a little piece of iron as was Ricky...not too mention extremely composed on a dirt bike. Half way through any main event while 90% of guys are getting tired Jeremy is just getting started. Training and your mental state is everything. Ricky and Jeremy both have that champions edge.

Webb I feel will be along the lines of James Stewart. Extremely fast and when racing on two wheels will probably win, but taking a lot of dirt naps in the process.
Regarding Webb: Really? What makes you say that? He's generally quite composed at SX, and his 450 rides looked in complete control
twizzler
3/17/2016 9:44am
On the training and handling the workload, yes, JMart is similar to Ricky, maybe even better. But on a SX/MX level he's not even currently close to RC at this point in his racing career. As JMart has struggled in SX in the past and has not won a Regional Championship. He may win East this year. And we can only predict what he will do on 450's could go good, could go not as good. Time will tell.
51xc
3/17/2016 10:55am
twizzler wrote:
On the training and handling the workload, yes, JMart is similar to Ricky, maybe even better. But on a SX/MX level he's not even currently close...
On the training and handling the workload, yes, JMart is similar to Ricky, maybe even better. But on a SX/MX level he's not even currently close to RC at this point in his racing career. As JMart has struggled in SX in the past and has not won a Regional Championship. He may win East this year. And we can only predict what he will do on 450's could go good, could go not as good. Time will tell.
i get your point and I know sx is money but in my books mx is still bigger from a athletes point of view. if he can move up with 3 mx titles, that's huge.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/17/2016 11:32am
Impossible, hes not trained by Baker.
Money
3/17/2016 12:51pm
Outdoors Martin on 450 will be fast really fast. Sx will be another story.
TallonT911
3/18/2016 12:26am
BobPA wrote:
stremme12 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I believe the heat races are the point paying races and the main event is just an exhibition race. No points paid.
Heat races are heat races, heat 1 east, heat 2 west (or vice versa). Then the main is points paying for both coasts using the same points payout so it leaves plenty of room for a shake up in points! Should be exciting
bobojim
3/18/2016 1:45am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 1:46am
51xc wrote:
matthes: [i] was talking to Johnny O’Mara about Jeremy Martin during track walk and he mentioned that out of all the guys he’s worked with, Martin...
matthes:
was talking to Johnny O’Mara about Jeremy Martin during track walk and he mentioned that out of all the guys he’s worked with, Martin is on the level of Ricky Carmichael as far as being able to handle whatever training load O’Show throws at him. Johnny mentioned that maybe brother Alex’s slow start on the West Coast could be from a bit of over training with Jeremy and Johnny. Not everyone can handle another person’s training habits. See Zach Osborne last summer when he was with Eli Tomac. It’s not a bad thing, Osborne and Alex Martin are gnarly athletes—it’s just that some people are built to handle a bit more.

http://racerxonline.com/2016/03/16/observations-toronto

this really caught my attention on matthes racer x column this week. it just shows that yes, hard work is important, but champions are also born as champions.
I'm really excited about jeremy moving up next year. i know many have webb ahead of martin but i never had, he just seems to make better decisions than most other riders.
with holding the red plate in sx right now, he has a seriously good chance to move up as a 2 time mx and 1 time sx champ. heck, even as a 3 time mx champ if he stays healthy but obviously as of right now it's anybody's championship and i sure don't want to credit him those titles quite yet. lots of racing to be done.

That's terrible news. Sounds like more series domination ahead and lots of "boring" mx seasons. More "chase" format discussions ahead too.....
L3G10N
3/18/2016 3:58am
There were quite a few factors that made ricky who he is over the span of his career. While Jeremy might have the physical traits that could make him something special, what he does not have are the accomplishments and accolades Ricky earned in his time.

How about we sit back, watch, wait and enjoy the ride and see what this young man can do. This goes for any amateur or young pro coming up. Instead of haling them the next RC, Stewart etc.

Justin345
3/18/2016 4:11am
tprice07 wrote:
Jeremy Martin is pretty impressive...I mean he did crash in the first turn and still ended up 2nd. That said, as much as many criticize Dungey...
Jeremy Martin is pretty impressive...I mean he did crash in the first turn and still ended up 2nd.

That said, as much as many criticize Dungey for his personality, or lack there of, Martin will be viewed as 10x worse.
They can criticize Martin for his "lack of personality" but the kid is very level headed and never seems to lose his cool. I had the chance to meet him briefly at the budds creek national last year and he was really nice. We had just finished racing our amateur day and he asked how the race went, how the track was and signed my 2nd place plaque and told me great job! Pretty awesome guy in my book.
tprice07
3/18/2016 5:57am
tprice07 wrote:
Jeremy Martin is pretty impressive...I mean he did crash in the first turn and still ended up 2nd. That said, as much as many criticize Dungey...

Justin345 wrote:
They can criticize Martin for his "lack of personality" but the kid is very level headed and never seems to lose his cool. I had the...
They can criticize Martin for his "lack of personality" but the kid is very level headed and never seems to lose his cool. I had the chance to meet him briefly at the budds creek national last year and he was really nice. We had just finished racing our amateur day and he asked how the race went, how the track was and signed my 2nd place plaque and told me great job! Pretty awesome guy in my book.
He seems like a nice guy, just not looking forward to hearing people bitch about him as well haha
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
3/18/2016 6:02am
That's one guy I'd love to see do the GPs. Probably won't ever happen but he could do really well in either class.

Post a reply to: o'mara: jeremy martin on the level of ricky carmichael

The Latest