# of race tracks & riding areas in US?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 11:21am
Is there a directory somewhere? If not shouldn't there be?

Are there more riding areas and OHV parks than race tracks?

|
7/23/2015 11:10am
Are you going to propose a bunch of rules, regulations, and otherwise tell them how to run them?
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/23/2015 12:21pm
Riderplanet.com

The Shop

JustMX
7/23/2015 1:00pm
Most are way out of date after so many gave closed in recent years.
ocscottie
7/23/2015 1:23pm
Are you going to propose a bunch of rules, regulations, and otherwise tell them how to run them?
Laughing
The Rock
7/23/2015 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 7:04pm
No I leave that up to the AMA & FIM.

I am actually more interested in learning which ones are under attack to see if we can circle the wagons to help. It is easier to keep a track open than open one up in the 21st century.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/23/2015 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 5:43pm
The Rock wrote:
No I leave that up to the AMA & FIM. I am actually more interested in learning which ones are under attack to see if we...

I am actually more interested in learning which ones are under attack to see if we can circle the wagons to help. It is easier to keep a track open than open one up in the 21st century.
I really think the writing is on the wall for lots of the remaining tracks and its not just MX tracks. If its a track that has motor racing and not a big super speedway I think most dont have a bright future. Bandimere drag strip wanted to relocate ten or so years ago because they sold the land on the side of the mountain and the new location was out in the sticks it was to be part of World park raceway on the east side of the Denver metro area and it was voted down in a smear campaign set up and funded by Pikes peak international raceway. PPIR has closed and opened several time and still struggle. good thing Bandimere's land sale was contingent on them building world park or they would be gone too. Most all of the local dirt and pavement tracks have closed around here, Mountain view, Second Creek, Rocky Mountain speedway etc etc.
The Rock
7/23/2015 6:05pm
Was Rocky Mountain relatively close to Thunder Valley? I used to spend a lot of time in the Denver area for work and remember seeing one Speedway next to one of the interstates plus the motocross track off of 36 I think it was.
Twist1
7/23/2015 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 6:57pm
I ponder.....What percentage of riders pick it up on their own, and at what age? What percentage of riders get a bike because their Dad used to ride, and he's passing the torch. ( I think this is by far the norm, and takes some serious $$$$)

-the first scenario would lend itself to kooks getting hurt on tracks they should not be hitting, but whatever..

-the second requires a smart and safe approach to the entire process...(including a strategy to reduce noise, increase safety measures, and try to make it as economical as possible)

The vast majority of classes that line up on race day should be bone stock bikes.

-super mini
-mini
-250 (including 250 2 strokes)
-OPEN

Then repeat with modified bikes.

ROLL SECTIONS STRICTLY ENFORCED in MOST classes. If dear old Dad is having to sack up and hit a rutted up double that somebody built to be scrubbed or be a bottle rocket....well everyone's day ends at the clinic and riding days are farked.
It will make it a lot more fun to watch the experts kill it on amazing bikes and amazing tracks, after a day spent riding fast and hard with no pressure to ride above your head. Better riders will be the end result. PERIOD.

my 2 cents.

And hats off to Rock and guys like him, they are helping the sport. Unless we prefer sharing bogs with quads and want to hear a 450F with no silencer drag racing....

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/23/2015 8:02pm
The Rock wrote:
Was Rocky Mountain relatively close to Thunder Valley? I used to spend a lot of time in the Denver area for work and remember seeing one...
Was Rocky Mountain relatively close to Thunder Valley? I used to spend a lot of time in the Denver area for work and remember seeing one Speedway next to one of the interstates plus the motocross track off of 36 I think it was.
You are thinking of Colorado national speedway and that is still running and the VDR is the MX track north of there on I-25 and they have been trying to sell it for years and now with houses on both sides as soon as they can sell it its will be gone and that is sad because its been there from the early 1960s . Sad
Jack mehoff
7/23/2015 8:11pm
The Rock wrote:
No I leave that up to the AMA & FIM. I am actually more interested in learning which ones are under attack to see if we...

No you got that all wrong , everybody knows American honda is running the asylum
The Rock
7/24/2015 12:01am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 12:12am
The Rock wrote:
Was Rocky Mountain relatively close to Thunder Valley? I used to spend a lot of time in the Denver area for work and remember seeing one...
lostboy819 wrote:
You are thinking of Colorado national speedway and that is still running and the VDR is the MX track north of there on I-25 and they...
You are thinking of Colorado national speedway and that is still running and the VDR is the MX track north of there on I-25 and they have been trying to sell it for years and now with houses on both sides as soon as they can sell it its will be gone and that is sad because its been there from the early 1960s . Sad
Okay thank you. I would take 25 up to see HP. Will never forget the year you guys had the hail storm from hell and all those rental cars got worked. The corn field across the street from HP got worked too.

Is VDR trying to keep it going? What has been the biggest challenges? Noise? Rider turnout?

How about a movie script for our sport where MX and off road folks can sign up to be part of a government sponsored disaster recovery plan? When we weren't saving the planet we could be working with Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts to make presentations in schools and inner city schools. At the same time we identify outlets for SX and MX tickets should FELD and MX Sports elect to get involved? And not only pro races we also encourage these youth organizations to come to local races. At a minimum they could collect recyclables for fund raising while check out a new sport. I feel we have an opportunity to represent a way to "disconnect from the Matrix" or if that is too hip for youth organizations we could call it the "unplug and experience the real world" program. Parents are looking for ways to show their kids the world out there beyond their smartphones.

We could get all this positive press that we could barter with for track issues. A guy can dream can't he?

EDIT: Appreciate the kudos Twist1. Thank you. Also appreciate your suggestions. To your point someone I know built an outdoor practice track in Norcal without any jumps with nothing but outdoor obstacles off cambers, ruts, whoops and all types of corners.

I personally think you can incorporate jumps safely (or as safely as possible) on tracks but I like the concept of this guy's outdoor practice track.

That is core....and I am pretty sure he lifts too bro.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/24/2015 10:13am
The Rock wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
You are thinking of Colorado national speedway and that is still running and the VDR is the MX track north of there on I-25 and they...
The Rock wrote:
Okay thank you. I would take 25 up to see HP. Will never forget the year you guys had the hail storm from hell and all...
Okay thank you. I would take 25 up to see HP. Will never forget the year you guys had the hail storm from hell and all those rental cars got worked. The corn field across the street from HP got worked too.

Is VDR trying to keep it going? What has been the biggest challenges? Noise? Rider turnout?

How about a movie script for our sport where MX and off road folks can sign up to be part of a government sponsored disaster recovery plan? When we weren't saving the planet we could be working with Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts to make presentations in schools and inner city schools. At the same time we identify outlets for SX and MX tickets should FELD and MX Sports elect to get involved? And not only pro races we also encourage these youth organizations to come to local races. At a minimum they could collect recyclables for fund raising while check out a new sport. I feel we have an opportunity to represent a way to "disconnect from the Matrix" or if that is too hip for youth organizations we could call it the "unplug and experience the real world" program. Parents are looking for ways to show their kids the world out there beyond their smartphones.

We could get all this positive press that we could barter with for track issues. A guy can dream can't he?

EDIT: Appreciate the kudos Twist1. Thank you. Also appreciate your suggestions. To your point someone I know built an outdoor practice track in Norcal without any jumps with nothing but outdoor obstacles off cambers, ruts, whoops and all types of corners.

I personally think you can incorporate jumps safely (or as safely as possible) on tracks but I like the concept of this guy's outdoor practice track.

That is core....and I am pretty sure he lifts too bro.
VDR is having the same problems as other tracks,low rider turnout,noise,lawsuit,higher cost of operations. It was not uncommon to have 500-600 riders on Saturdays and Sundays for practice and race days in the 70s 80s 90s and early 00s we would also go on Thursday evenings for prepped practice. They were out in the middle of no where and when you left Denver it was just open fields and seemed like it took forever to get to the track because it was so far out in the sticks but right next to the interstate, now everything is built up almost all the way to the track and there are house built on the west side of the track and new building on the south side. They have been trying to sell the land for years and had it sold and then the bottom dropped out but now its back so I would say its days are numbered because the owners want out bad.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/24/2015 10:17am
Here are some older pics that do not show the houses or other construction around the track.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/24/2015 10:23am
This is google earth from several years ago and it built up a lot more now. Sad

The Rock
7/24/2015 11:18am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 11:19am
With all the resources we have available to us in this industry we've got to get smarter about these tracks situations. Urban sprawl closing in on tracks like this and Star West in Southern California we should be proactive. Start talking to the homeowners talk to them about hours of operation, days of operation, sound control measures being taken etc. You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. So rather than wait for the inevitable we should raise funding for Todd Huffman of MX Files fame to create a video presentation on the benefits that motorcycling has on families and communities.

We get sold our politicians so why don't we start selling ourselves to communities?
The Rock
7/24/2015 11:21am
Is there a real estate listing for the track?

Post a reply to: # of race tracks & riding areas in US?

The Latest