no more trails

yzjs7
6/7/2015 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/20/2015 7:24am
I love riding motocross and generally do every weekend. I competed in hollisters 6hr relay race through the hills this weekend. Had fun but crashed or Damon near fell over half a dozen times or more. I think I'm a decent rider on the track and improving;yet on the trails I sure do suck. Frustrating to say the least. I believe riding trails will make me a better overall rider,but crashing gets old and messes with my confidence. Anybody else have the same issue?
|
6/7/2015 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2015 4:45pm
yzjs7 wrote:
I love riding motocross and generally do every weekend. I competed in hollisters 6hr relay race through the hills this weekend. Had fun but crashed or...
I love riding motocross and generally do every weekend. I competed in hollisters 6hr relay race through the hills this weekend. Had fun but crashed or Damon near fell over half a dozen times or more. I think I'm a decent rider on the track and improving;yet on the trails I sure do suck. Frustrating to say the least. I believe riding trails will make me a better overall rider,but crashing gets old and messes with my confidence. Anybody else have the same issue?
Not to put you on blast, but are you just pushing too hard?

When I'm on the trails I just really try and take it easy. Finding the slow technical stuff is fun, beneficial, and low risk.

Sounds like maybe you're racing on the trails instead of riding?
1stSSPZ
6/7/2015 5:13pm
I have always found it more difficult (and dangerous) to go fast when you are not quite sure what is in front of you. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't sweat it.
yzjs7
6/7/2015 5:15pm
yzjs7 wrote:
I love riding motocross and generally do every weekend. I competed in hollisters 6hr relay race through the hills this weekend. Had fun but crashed or...
TripleFive wrote:
Not to put you on blast, but are you just pushing too hard? When I'm on the trails I just really try and take it easy...
Not to put you on blast, but are you just pushing too hard?

When I'm on the trails I just really try and take it easy. Finding the slow technical stuff is fun, beneficial, and low risk.

Sounds like maybe you're racing on the trails instead of riding?
You might be right. My first lap went well. As did my second lap,my third lap I wanted to drop my lap time but made mistake after mistake. I think being on the side of mountains sketches me out as well.I find comfort in the familiarity of of the track.
r.sal923
6/7/2015 5:18pm
I find that trail riding starts off good at the start of the year, but after I ride the trails 2 or 3 times I am over trail riding. But I can go to a crappy short no jump track and never get board of going around and around

The Shop

6/7/2015 5:39pm
yzjs7 wrote:
You might be right. My first lap went well. As did my second lap,my third lap I wanted to drop my lap time but made mistake...
You might be right. My first lap went well. As did my second lap,my third lap I wanted to drop my lap time but made mistake after mistake. I think being on the side of mountains sketches me out as well.I find comfort in the familiarity of of the track.
Lap times while you're trail riding? I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, but you do it way different than I do.

I ride an old XR250 and keep it at a very low speed. Maybe you can try and find fun in something other than just raw speed?

Here's a shot from yesterday:

DPR250R
6/7/2015 5:47pm
The last time I rode trails I thought to myself... I would rather be at work.
JW381
6/7/2015 5:52pm
I went and rode some trails with my buddies down in Southern Oregon right at the start of 2015. Granted I was hungover as fuck and my bike was not jetted even close for the conditions, and the ground was frozen (yes, stockpiling excuses), I sure fucking sucked out there. I felt like it was literally my first time riding a dirtbike. I was a little nervous for sure, and that didn't help, but yes, without a doubt, that type of riding hones in a completely different set of skills. I'd like to take my bike out on my own and practice, but that's kinda hard when you don't know the lay of the land at all.

The thought of "I'd rather be at work" definitely popped into my head.
Spooner
6/7/2015 6:04pm
The seven gear is throwing you off. You think JS7 rides trails??
resetjet
6/7/2015 6:16pm
I am a C senior class offroad riders. I have ridden with guys with a pro mx license in trails and kept up . Its a different animal.......I feel about the track as you do about the woods.....But its all good.....A new challenge. Not saying it makes you a better mx rider to ride trials, but for sure a better trail rider if you ride MX.
JM485
6/7/2015 6:35pm
Come on man, you just have to give carnegie hills another shot with me!Laughing For those that don't know the back story I took him on some crap out in the hills I probably shouldn't have, and long story short he had a bad crash into a big rain rut that messed his back up pretty bad. Sorry man!Blush Good the hear you guys made it out alive though, just takes some time to get comfortable out there like you are on the track, but once you figure it out I think it's a lot more fun than just spinning laps.
Outsider
6/7/2015 6:36pm
That's funny because when I got back into riding all the time I lived outside Reno and that's all I did was trail ride. It got to be where I was pretty good trail/enduro/hare scrambles rider and loved it.

When I moved back to Socal all my buddies did was moto and I sucked bad because I was such a pussy about the jumps and the intensity. I eventually got to love it too though.

It depends on the trails too, if there are shit trails you won't have much fun either. I would definitely not time yourself, just go have fun and ride at a comfortable pace and look for fun stuff try... you'll be digging it in no time.. or not..lol
6/7/2015 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2015 6:48pm
Sometimes you have to "slow down to go fast". Other terminology used is "smooth out".
yzjs7
6/7/2015 9:01pm
Ya we had lap times because it was a relay race. When I wanted a bike as a kid,all I wanted to do was hit jumps. Funny how I don't even sweat hitting a jump but a trail on the side of a mountain scares me to death. Plus the dirt on trails is usually slick and rocky. As well I f you get a into a situation on the track there's always going to be help. Get into a situation out in the hills and it gets real scary. I have a huge respect for badass trail riders.
Seamorbutts
6/7/2015 9:09pm
yzjs7 wrote:
Ya we had lap times because it was a relay race. When I wanted a bike as a kid,all I wanted to do was hit jumps...
Ya we had lap times because it was a relay race. When I wanted a bike as a kid,all I wanted to do was hit jumps. Funny how I don't even sweat hitting a jump but a trail on the side of a mountain scares me to death. Plus the dirt on trails is usually slick and rocky. As well I f you get a into a situation on the track there's always going to be help. Get into a situation out in the hills and it gets real scary. I have a huge respect for badass trail riders.
Ask yourself, what would James do, then just do that.
Outsider
6/7/2015 9:18pm
Laughing

He'd just quad that mountain duh!
Cancerman
6/7/2015 10:48pm
When I take out somebody new that I have not ridden with, I like to warm up with a "Hare Scrambles" loop that includes through the hills, up and down. It prepares you for reading lines and terrain, brake and throttle control, etc. It seems most average mxer's have trouble riding that stuff. Thant's why I always raced desert, mx, GP's, anything I found interesting. Well rounded, as they say.
6/7/2015 11:18pm
resetjet wrote:
I am a C senior class offroad riders. I have ridden with guys with a pro mx license in trails and kept up . Its a...
I am a C senior class offroad riders. I have ridden with guys with a pro mx license in trails and kept up . Its a different animal.......I feel about the track as you do about the woods.....But its all good.....A new challenge. Not saying it makes you a better mx rider to ride trials, but for sure a better trail rider if you ride MX.
I think I know what you're talking about. Put a log here and there and it's getting funny with some of the MX Pros Wink
Crush
6/7/2015 11:41pm
Had you softened up your bike at all?

Riding trails and trying to go fast on MX suspension will get you in trouble pretty quick!
Crush
6/7/2015 11:43pm
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Trail riding isn't always about going quick. Gotta slow down and take in the scenery some times. [url=https://flic.kr/p/rq6hkZ][img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8689/16681545647_01f6ec01d9_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/rq6hkZ]DSCF1655 (Copy)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131318132@N06/]Dane Johnson[/url], on Flickr [url=https://flic.kr/p/rJkfpx][img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7605/16887967621_fcdd8b69ab_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/rJkfpx]DSCF1687 (Copy)[/url]...
Trail riding isn't always about going quick. Gotta slow down and take in the scenery some times.

DSCF1655 (Copy) by Dane Johnson, on Flickr

DSCF1687 (Copy) by Dane Johnson, on Flickr
That looks nice Derp, where is that?
Seamorbutts
6/8/2015 12:10am
Outsider wrote:
Laughing

He'd just quad that mountain duh!
Lmao
vhlnsk
6/8/2015 12:34am
You have some of the best technical riding right in your backyard at Carnegie. (not only my opinion, talk with Rodney Smith...)

Motocross takes a very special set of skills to excel.

Hare scrambles take a set of skills that benefit from motocross, but require something additional.

If you are interested in hare scrambles consider riding at Carnegie for specific training. When you train in areas other than your specialty, you gain knowledge of you and your bike. This lets you address unfamiliar terrain/situations with a foundation of versatile skills.

Check out Porter's videos for some of the interesting terrain that Carnegie offers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgwQ7vt6KE
[
If you are interested in improving for hare scrambles, talk with Josh or me for specific training for technical riding. Maybe we can connect for a ride at Carnegie.

But hey what do I know; my last race bike had drum brakes and no rear suspension linkage, and my current "dirt bike" has a license plate.

If you are a fan of dirt bike racing, take a look at this Weege interview of Rodney Smith:
http://racerxonline.com/2014/08/06/where-are-they-now-rodney-smith

And an interview of Weege:
http://vurbmoto.com/blogs/industry-insiderwith-jason-weigandt/1287/
HenryA
6/8/2015 12:37am
Crush wrote:
Had you softened up your bike at all?

Riding trails and trying to go fast on MX suspension will get you in trouble pretty quick!
This. Pushing a bike that is tuned for MX on trails can be devastating. Make sure that you have the right settings before you question your ability to ride.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
6/8/2015 12:47am
Crush wrote:
That looks nice Derp, where is that?
Victoria High Country. Went for a 5 day ride down there in March, going pub to pub. Did about 1000k's all up. Bloody beautiful down there.
Crush
6/8/2015 1:49am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Victoria High Country. Went for a 5 day ride down there in March, going pub to pub. Did about 1000k's all up. Bloody beautiful down there.
Nice! Looks amazing!
h&m_cycle
6/8/2015 3:34am
Did the Blackwater 100 once, 1983 I believe, once was enough... trail riding is a blast though...
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
6/8/2015 3:38am
Got to ride like a deer bro.
motokiwi
Fantasy
235th
6/8/2015 3:52am
Trails make you a much better rider than moto ever will my man.

Learn to enjoy it and you will be set for life.

Its common to hate a trail until you have worked up the stamina / technique to master it, then it becomes a strange addiction.
Frodad78
6/8/2015 5:17am
I don't get some of the guys knocking trail riding, its time on a dirtbike, which is always a blast. I grew up riding trails and sand pits, raced moto, then raced scrambles. I guess some guys just grew up riding on MX tracks so I guess I can see the distaste for trail riding comes from. Looking backI consider myself lucky to have grown up on a mountain in Pennsylvania with acres of trails in my back yard. These days I have a 125 set up for both, when one type of riding starts to get stale you just switch it up and shred some trails, its like dating 2 completely different types of chicks at the same time haha . Something cool about being in the middle of no where with your buds just having a blast and exploring and the scenery is always worth it. I tend to stand a lot when I ride, I credit that to trail riding as well as my dad threatening to take the seat off my DT175 If I didn't get off my ass!

Definitely set your suspension up for trials though, gnarly trails with stiff boingers can be a real miserable time.
WVUpetro2013
6/8/2015 5:47am
yzjs7 wrote:
Maybe try riding a gear higher and try standing as much as possible? I know if I try to ride in the style that I ride on mx I would be in the trees frequently.

Post a reply to: no more trails

The Latest