new electric minithunder MX

Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 5:28am
Would love to get some constructive feedback on our soon to be released product.
http://www.raffebikes.com/Home-Mini-Electric-Motocross

More infor can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/RAFFEmxBIKES
|
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/9/2014 4:00am
Thunder is a loud sound that is often associated with internal combustion engines, not silent electric motors.

Bike looks good but the lightening strikes take away.

Other than that, looks like a sold machine. But a video would be nice, could not find one on your website, also on that site, the front page is a bit wordy, you need to hit key points on the front page, most people tend to turn away from a wall of text when A simple click of a video showing what the bike can do is absent.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/9/2014 5:01am
Nice! Hope you have done a lot of durability testing as a unreliable product will instantly sink your ship.

+ 1- was looking for a video.
8/9/2014 6:30am
Thanks guys for the replys..
We are in the process of getting some promo video shot that will be uploaded to the website as soon as its been shot and edited.. Here is a old video from the early developmet stages of the the mini thunder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ffkHNptvQ&index=6&list=UUhfSX9FDPMG9my…

testing have been going on in race conditions for around 10 months and are now confident to release the bike knowing that there will be no major problems for race use.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
8/9/2014 8:39am
raffebikes wrote:
Thanks guys for the replys.. We are in the process of getting some promo video shot that will be uploaded to the website as soon as...
We are in the process of getting some promo video shot that will be uploaded to the website as soon as its been shot and edited.. Here is a old video from the early developmet stages of the the mini thunder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ffkHNptvQ&index=6&list=UUhfSX9FDPMG9my…

testing have been going on in race conditions for around 10 months and are now confident to release the bike knowing that there will be no major problems for race use.
The biggest problem I had as a kid was the noise of my bikes..the neighbors were always bitching and calling the cops. I am starting to warm up to these electric bikes! Especially for a young kid..

Good luck!

The Shop

hvaughn88
8/9/2014 9:08am
As a parent of a two young boys and living inside city limits...I absolutely love it. Will it have it some growing pains? Perhaps. But I'm all in for support of the electric movement.
JA946
8/9/2014 9:09am
raffebikes wrote:
Thanks guys for the replys.. We are in the process of getting some promo video shot that will be uploaded to the website as soon as...

Wow, nothing like ruining a moto vid with horrible music.

And not good to advertise your product with a DNF.
8/9/2014 9:15am
raffebikes wrote:

JA946 wrote:
Wow, nothing like ruining a moto vid with horrible music.

And not good to advertise your product with a DNF.
As was stated about the vid, it was in the very early stages of development vid was from around 7-8months ago.. the bike at this stage in time has more power, more top speed and will last the distance, this is the one of the reasons why the the old videos are not on the main website..
mnomis484
8/9/2014 9:16am
That Strap on the rear Fender is a pretty good idea. It makes it a lot easier to pick up the bike for a 4yr. old.
A bar pad should be on there, in my opinion......

Front fork looks pretty Solid, as well as the Frame etc.

In the Pictures of the bike, the front Brake line is not routed correctly. Dont want to be a smart ass, but it should be inside the Fork guard, so it doesnt get caught in a tree or whatever.

In My opinion, you should also make other Graphics for it. Those look like something you would find on a cheap 100$ chinese pocket bike....

other than that i think it is a pretty solid product Wink
8/9/2014 10:05am
mnomis484 wrote:
That Strap on the rear Fender is a pretty good idea. It makes it a lot easier to pick up the bike for a 4yr. old...
That Strap on the rear Fender is a pretty good idea. It makes it a lot easier to pick up the bike for a 4yr. old.
A bar pad should be on there, in my opinion......

Front fork looks pretty Solid, as well as the Frame etc.

In the Pictures of the bike, the front Brake line is not routed correctly. Dont want to be a smart ass, but it should be inside the Fork guard, so it doesnt get caught in a tree or whatever.

In My opinion, you should also make other Graphics for it. Those look like something you would find on a cheap 100$ chinese pocket bike....

other than that i think it is a pretty solid product Wink
I agree with pretty much everything here. Bar pad is a must for kids. Chinese was one of my first thoughts, and I don't mean that as a compliment. Other than that it looks pretty cool.

How much? That's sort of key. I am in the market but have a feeling that you're out of my league.
8/9/2014 10:51am
Bar pad Is in hand and will be on all bikes when shipped, and agree that it is a must !.
Do you feel that its the graphics that makes it look chinese or the plastics / colors ?

prices are comparable to new branded 50cc/80cc racing MX bikes , but still working out final price .. price will be posted on the raffe bikes website within the next couple of weeks..
8/9/2014 2:28pm
I think it's largely the graphics but the color might collaborate. I actually spent some time looking at it trying to decide that for myself.
g0rd057
8/9/2014 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2014 9:11pm
Rear brake master cylinder seems like it could be vulnerable when bike gets laid down on it's side.
Maybe could be relocated closer to middle of frame? Discs are little heavy looking too.
Will it have some type of governor to limit max power for beginner riders?
gsxr6
8/10/2014 1:11am
Follow the japs plan.....Buy a top.competitors bike. Reverse engineer the components that are better than yours. I would recommend attempt ing to graft a 85/class bikes suspension and wheel package onto your bike test it against your model if its better(likely) just copy whatever it takes. Sell for a few hundred less than main competition till they fold. Jack price sky high then. Your welcome. Oh and if u want it to sell better it should be red or orange.
8/10/2014 10:52am
g0rd057 wrote:
Rear brake master cylinder seems like it could be vulnerable when bike gets laid down on it's side. Maybe could be relocated closer to middle of...
Rear brake master cylinder seems like it could be vulnerable when bike gets laid down on it's side.
Maybe could be relocated closer to middle of frame? Discs are little heavy looking too.
Will it have some type of governor to limit max power for beginner riders?
The rear master cylinder is not as vulnerable as it looks in the pictures and has not caused any concern with cleanance or damage from being dropped, but as with any new product there may have to be small changes along the way..
There Is a OBC ( on board computer ) that allows various parameters to be preset i.e max speed, max torque/power , pre-set throttle ramps, the OBC also has many system monitoring functions to increase the safety aspect of the bike for such young riders.

8/10/2014 11:04am
gsxr6 wrote:
Follow the japs plan.....Buy a top.competitors bike. Reverse engineer the components that are better than yours. I would recommend attempt ing to graft a 85/class bikes...
Follow the japs plan.....Buy a top.competitors bike. Reverse engineer the components that are better than yours. I would recommend attempt ing to graft a 85/class bikes suspension and wheel package onto your bike test it against your model if its better(likely) just copy whatever it takes. Sell for a few hundred less than main competition till they fold. Jack price sky high then. Your welcome. Oh and if u want it to sell better it should be red or orange.
The Minithunder MX is a first in its class and is built from the ground up.. its not a toy ( well it is, but you know what I mean :-) ) There is nothing on the current e-bike market that can compete with this bike so there is nothing out there to copy. All parts Have been sourced and tested for reliability and function in real race conditions and this is what makes it stand out from anything else on the market..
There will be several color options for the plastics ( actual colors are still being finalised , but I think i can confidently say that red and orange will be in the options of colours)
dboivin
8/10/2014 11:29am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 11:31am
sounds like you did your research on making the bike, now do your research on marketing.

graphics not good. get a graphics company involved to help you. (much like bell helmets hired flying kolors helmet painter to design their graphics). small investment = huge difference in final product....even if the quality is there, it looks chinese.

i think it has huge potential. specially if you tap into some way to use another brands dealer network somehow. i.e. cobra/polaris/arctic cat (american companies).
Cashmore
8/10/2014 11:40am
Where do you put the gas in? Thats the only problem I see with it... no really good luck with it
Krazyk2774
8/10/2014 4:24pm
Electric is the future! As technology advances we are going to be seeing a lot more of them! My question is " how are the environmental nuts going to spin something that is quiet and clean into the end of the world " lol
JA946
8/10/2014 4:26pm
Where in china are they produced?
8/10/2014 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2014 5:24pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
Electric is the future! As technology advances we are going to be seeing a lot more of them! My question is " how are the environmental...
Electric is the future! As technology advances we are going to be seeing a lot more of them! My question is " how are the environmental nuts going to spin something that is quiet and clean into the end of the world " lol
Totally agree but Hopefully the more electric offroad bikes there are then more riding venues will actually open up and become available for riders of ebikes.
8/10/2014 5:21pm
JA946 wrote:
They are not produced in china. They were born in the usa , with parts sourced from china but with many custom parts made in the usa and the uk.
DemoDick
8/10/2014 6:55pm
Just me but I would call this bike the "Mini Lightning" since it runs on electricity not the mini thunder.

I personally think it would look a little more appealing in a white/orange or white red color scheme. The black frame just looks a bit too much like the Chinese bikes to me. Lose the lightning bolts. Try to make it look more pro.

As others have said get some good videos, do not ruin them with music and go over the construction of the bike. Have someone do it on camera that is GOOD on camera.

I like the idea of electric bikes for the little guys. You could actually have a track in the suburbs that would not get shut down for noise issues.

dboivin
8/10/2014 7:51pm
DemoDick wrote:
Just me but I would call this bike the "Mini Lightning" since it runs on electricity not the mini thunder. I personally think it would look...
Just me but I would call this bike the "Mini Lightning" since it runs on electricity not the mini thunder.

I personally think it would look a little more appealing in a white/orange or white red color scheme. The black frame just looks a bit too much like the Chinese bikes to me. Lose the lightning bolts. Try to make it look more pro.

As others have said get some good videos, do not ruin them with music and go over the construction of the bike. Have someone do it on camera that is GOOD on camera.

I like the idea of electric bikes for the little guys. You could actually have a track in the suburbs that would not get shut down for noise issues.

could you imagine having a sweet track in a suburb or city setting...with todays camera/UAV video floating in from above and 4-6 kids tear up the track...would make a huge statement and market itself.
kakarot
8/10/2014 9:08pm
looks like you did it right i think the mini bike is an ideal market for electrics,i recently picked up a moto tec mini electric for my kids to play on at home and your bike seems to have addressed every flaw with it .definitely a fan of what you are doing
JA946
8/10/2014 10:15pm
JA946 wrote:
raffebikes wrote:
They are not produced in china. They were born in the usa , with parts sourced from china but with many custom parts made in the...
They are not produced in china. They were born in the usa , with parts sourced from china but with many custom parts made in the usa and the uk.
So where are they produced?

kakarot
8/10/2014 10:33pm
dboivin wrote:
could you imagine having a sweet track in a suburb or city setting...with todays camera/UAV video floating in from above and 4-6 kids tear up the...
could you imagine having a sweet track in a suburb or city setting...with todays camera/UAV video floating in from above and 4-6 kids tear up the track...would make a huge statement and market itself.
get out of my head,but really could open new markets
8/10/2014 11:02pm
I too think lightning would ge a more logical name, since lightning is the electric part, and thunder is LOUD, your bike isn't.

About the color, I thought green was the obvious choise, since electric bikes are supposed to be enviromental friendly.

a few questions.
how much is it?
how much is a spare battery?
How easy is it to swap batteries?
how long does it run on a charge?
How long does it take to charge?

cheers
8/11/2014 3:08am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:28am
JA946 wrote:
raffebikes wrote:
They are not produced in china. They were born in the usa , with parts sourced from china but with many custom parts made in the...
JA946 wrote:
So where are they produced?

Not totally sure what you are asking ... if you are asking where are all the relevant parts are assembled then they are 'produced' in the USA.

Edit: the frame and swingarm are 100% USA.
8/11/2014 3:27am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 3:33am
I too think lightning would ge a more logical name, since lightning is the electric part, and thunder is LOUD, your bike isn't. About the color...
I too think lightning would ge a more logical name, since lightning is the electric part, and thunder is LOUD, your bike isn't.

About the color, I thought green was the obvious choise, since electric bikes are supposed to be enviromental friendly.

a few questions.
how much is it?
how much is a spare battery?
How easy is it to swap batteries?
how long does it run on a charge?
How long does it take to charge?

cheers
The initial color green is used as a 'Green' statement for the bike.

cost will be comparable to a branded MX race bike, has yet to be finalised ( we are aiming for it to be cheaper than a equivalent gas bike )

Spare battery will be around $450 ::: this also needs to be finalised ...
batteries can be swapped out in less than 20 seconds.
there are many factors that can effect range of a fully charged battery, but for a average 6 year old riding for fun ( not competing ) around 1.5 hours.
standard charging with standard charger can take 3-4hours... a fast charger option will be available that can recharge in around 1hour.

Post a reply to: new electric minithunder MX

The Latest